The Beijing Olympics. - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The Beijing Olympics.
Sunday, August 03, 2008 11:20 AM on j-body.org
OK, I've been meaning to write this post for a couple months now, but never really had the time, or knew what to say until now. Anyways, on with it..

I for one think that having China host the Olympics is one of the dumbest, most poorly thought out, asinine things the International Olympic Commitee has ever done. Not only for the sheer fact that China is still horribly out of step with most of the rest of the world concerning basic human rights, but also that everything that they are doing to try to promote China as a happy, modern nation is a complete sham.

Almost every day I read news reports of how the powers in China are increasingly treating people worse, and restricting their actions more and more, all in an effort to promote the Chinese image to other countries. I can understand some of the security measures being enacted and the restriction of traffic around Olympic competition sites, but I feel that the excessive use of force and the jailing of certain people just because they disagree with the Chinese government is simply atrocious.

One of the basic and most fundamental of human rights, the simple ability to speak ones mind, regardless of others, is increasingly being squashed. And people are becoming more and more opressed, in an Olympic host country. Most Chinese bloggers who speak their disapproval of the Olympics have their sites shut down within hours, if not minutes. Some are even jailed or put under house arrest. Simply rounding up all of the protestors and hiding them from public view isnt going to take care of the problem. IN THE END, IT IS ONLY GOING TO MAKE THEM WORSE.

Also, the problems that China is having with internal affairs, and Tibet, only hilight the fact that they are undeserving of international attention, and shouldnt even be remotely close to hosting the Olympics. When the earthquakes happened earlier this year, the Chinese government at first tried to cover it up, making the incident seem small and trivial. When that failed, and parents upset at the poor quality of schools that crumbled and killed their only children came to the forefront, most were silenced by government intimidation, arrest, or who knows what. Its simply pathetic that people are not even allowed to properly mourn the deaths of their their children, and for most it is their only child, due to China's strict one-child-only policy.

All the negative attention that China is getting in the wake of Tibetan protests, I simply love it. They feel that the Tibetans are trying to tarnish the Chinese image, when all they want is independence from Chinese rule. I don't blame the Tibetans for bringing up the issue and protesting right before the Olympics. What better way to bring attention to your issue than during an international event?

The whole cover-up issue and the harsh violence that the Chinese are imposing on Tibet is sickening. The Chinese statement on the Tibetan uprising stated that somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 violent protesters were killed. Numerous other sources state that the number of people killed numbered in the hunreds, if not thousands. And some state that the Chinese government went about killing innocent civilians as well. I for one choose to believe the other reports instead of the censored, screened, and doctored up Chinese reports.

I feel that it would be a fitting punishment, and a serious blow to Chinese pride, if a number of countries were to simply boycott the Olympic games. To me, participating in the games in a country such as China is an outright embarassment. A country that cant even properly look after its own people in a humane manner shouldn't be hosting an event that promotes international cooperation and peace.

My only hope is somehow the whole thing blows up in China's face. Wether it be a power outage at the opening ceremony, massive protests around every event, or the Chinese athletes doing poorly, none would even begin to compare to the atrocities the Chinese inflict on themselves, and they would deserve every last bit of it.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Re: The Beijing Olympics.
Sunday, August 03, 2008 10:15 PM on j-body.org
The olympics, like religion, should be seperate from the political scene.

Built 94-97 head for sale: http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/47069/

Monday, August 04, 2008 8:10 AM on j-body.org
Bingo. After all, I believe it was Belin that hosted the 1936 olympics...

The last thing we want is political douchebags contolling THAT as well. Just let the athlets coimpete.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, August 05, 2008 7:07 AM on j-body.org
Well, an argument could be made that China was given the Olympics in order for the whole planet to see just how screwed up and repressive the government there is. It's easy to hide what you are when no one's looking at you.

I think the Olympics should go to North Korea next, then Iran, then Burma. Let's shine a little light on the @!#$s of the world.
Tuesday, August 05, 2008 7:08 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

My only hope is somehow the whole thing blows up in China's face.

How about an earthquake....
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/08/05/china.earthquake/index.html

But I agree the Olympics are usually held above what is actually going on, the athletes don't have anything to do with the social state of the the country.
Tuesday, August 05, 2008 8:58 AM on j-body.org
Athletes can't help the fact that their country is run by bunch of a farging iceholes.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 11:14 AM on j-body.org
I totally agree Roofy. You forgot to mention their pollution problems from letting companies pollute their air and land as much as they want. It's pretty bad when you have to shut down all traffic and numeous factories just to try to clean the air up.

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 2:39 PM on j-body.org
They also have the Gobi Desert that blows sand all over the f**king place.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 5:24 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

China revokes visa of gold medalist, Darfur activist Cheek
By Chris Chase
Olympic gold medalist and outspoken Darfur activist Joey Cheek has had his visa revoked by the Chinese embassy, hours before the speedskating champion was set to fly to China. And he wasn't even planning on wearing a mask when he got there.

Chinese officials don't need a reason to revoke anyone's visa but, in their eyes, they had plenty of reasons to snatch Cheek's. He is the founder of Team Darfur, a group of 70 athletes whose goal it is to raise global awareness of the human-rights violations taking part in the Darfur region of Sudan. China's military, economic and diplomatic ties to Sudan have been well-publicized in the lead-up to the Games.

Said Cheek of his ban in a prepared statement:

"I am saddened not to be able to attend the Games. The Olympic Games represent something powerful: that people can come together from around the world and do things that no one thought were possible. However, the denial of my visa is a part of a systemic effort by the Chinese government to coerce and threaten athletes who are speaking out on behalf of the innocent people of Darfur.

Cheek was going to China to support the athletes on Team Darfur -- including soccer player Abby Wambach -- and to promote the cause, one that he has championed for years. After winning gold in the Torino Games, Cheek announced he was donating his $25,000 USOC bonus to Darfur and implored his sponsors to do the same. It seems that Joey Cheek is truly one of the good guys.

And now he's out of China before he even got there. With the Games getting closer (just two days away now), the world seemed ready to forget about all the Chinese issues in order to focus on the Games themselves. Unfortunately, China's actions make that impossible. In a time when we should be wondering who will light the Olympic cauldron, whether Michael Phelps can break an all-time record and how Liu Xiang will react to the pressure of 1.3 billion of his countrymen hanging on his every step, we're instead left to discuss the Chinese government's reluctance to allow any dissension in their country, despite repeated promises that they'd clean up their act when the Olympics came to town.

This is pretty @!#$ up, can't even get in the counry to compete because your a human rights activist.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 8:57 AM on j-body.org
One Country: Two Systems, and both of them report to the same commitee.

One Country: Two Systems, and you're screwed either way.

If you haven't read Animal Farm or 1984, this dollop of info will be surprising.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:02 PM on j-body.org
i am kinda glad that it is being held there. I dont consider myself a racist person, but I am finding myself seeing the chinese people more human that b4. I guess as an american i should know better than to judge someone because of what their government does. Maybe if a lot for people can see the chinese as fellow human beings, more people might give a @!#$. Now on a more positive note, how about that Shawn Johnson? A person could bounce a quarter or something better of that arse.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:12 PM on j-body.org
I could care less about the Olympics right now.. Canada has yet to win a single @!#$ medal.. ... our team is a complete joke this year....

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Friday, August 15, 2008 10:01 AM on j-body.org
I agree completly with the OP. People think the US is bad take a look a China.

My co-workers and I were laughing earlier at China's attempt to cover up all there flaws. They are not fooling anyone. Infact we laugh at their failed attemps to fool us. When a story like the girl who won the contest on her singing ability and then they replace her with a girl who lip sings because the original girl was not as attractive breaks they just look even more like douchbags. Granted that does not even hold a candle to the baby killing that goes on.

As much money as our government owes China I doubt they will start complaining.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Friday, August 15, 2008 11:56 AM on j-body.org
Don't forget the faked fireworks, the "fog", and the falsified ages on passports lol. I still say leave the politics out though...

11 speaker JL Audio stereo setup for sale:
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/audio/52021/

Friday, August 15, 2008 4:33 PM on j-body.org
OHV notec wrote:Don't forget the faked fireworks, the "fog", and the falsified ages on passports lol. I still say leave the politics out though...

I'm sure that was the plan in Berlin in 1936, in Munich in 1972, in Moscow in 1980, in Los Angeles in 1984....

oh dear....

Monday, August 18, 2008 9:09 AM on j-body.org
china wanted the olympics there so they could make a political statement that they were "equal to other industrialized countries. now they've gotten pissy because "other" people are making their own political statements?

@!#$ THEM!!!

the olympics were never about the atheletes to the chinese. it was only about their "image" all along.

and for those who missed it.....@!#$ CHINA!!!!

Monday, August 18, 2008 12:47 PM on j-body.org
Lamest event ever: Steeplechase.
OHV notec wrote:Don't forget the faked fireworks, the "fog", and the falsified ages on passports lol.
I guess we now have to add the paralyzed dancer coverup and the different ethnicities all being represented by Han children...

11 speaker JL Audio stereo setup for sale:
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/audio/52021/

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search