McCain announces Sarah Palin...(who?) as his VP cadidate - Page 5 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: McCain announces Sarah Palin...(who?) as his VP cadidate
Saturday, September 06, 2008 2:52 PM on j-body.org
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:The real concern, that they did talk about, that WILL make them win..

Drilling more for oil here. Getting price of gas down. THAT will make them win.

And if she becomes the first Woman president... GREAT.

Chris
Wow are you that clueless? Drilling for more oil and getting gas prices down is the real concern?!

What about the housing market, food prices, job losses, the pointless war in Iraq,.....etc? Oh right, I guess that is not a real concern now. Im sorry but I would prefer a woman with a better background as the first president than this "Hockey Mom".

Saturday, September 06, 2008 7:41 PM on j-body.org
Tribals wrote:
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:The real concern, that they did talk about, that WILL make them win..

Drilling more for oil here. Getting price of gas down. THAT will make them win.

And if she becomes the first Woman president... GREAT.

Chris
Wow are you that clueless? Drilling for more oil and getting gas prices down is the real concern?!

What about the housing market, food prices, job losses, the pointless war in Iraq,.....etc? Oh right, I guess that is not a real concern now. Im sorry but I would prefer a woman with a better background as the first president than this "Hockey Mom".
x2 for all of that.

Plus drilling in those places will not produce significant enough oil to lower prices, and even then its not happening next week if thats what you are thinking. Plus those are only short term fixes that really don't even fix much in the short term. Long term prices are what we need to address.

Those positions, although not helpful to the problem, do poll well. That is the only reason they have been adopted.

Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in
America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the
country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along,
whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist
dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the
leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and
denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the
same in any country. - Hermann Goring

Saturday, September 06, 2008 8:21 PM on j-body.org
Bad Ace Design wrote:
I wasnt attacking him. I was making a comment on the general hypocrisy of the American public.

Well quoting him sure made it seem that way.

---

Sunday, September 07, 2008 7:05 AM on j-body.org
Do you people Really think we don't have oil.. LOTS AND LOTS of oil...

if we where all paying 1.05-1.90 a gallon, we would have extra money, yes?

Ergo; the housing, Car, job..,.exctra would improve.

as far as the war. LOL there is a reason people are still enlisting.. its volunteer ya know , but I'm willing to bet, ya didn't.

As far a Palin goes... I rather have her, then the hodgie.

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Sunday, September 07, 2008 9:24 AM on j-body.org
Chris: do you realize that you could double, triple or quintuple crude oil supply, and that won't do a damn thing to help the price of gas? You need to refine the oil into it's by-products, and without a new refinery in the US (which BTW, new ones haven't been built since the late 60's), and the refineries in Texas, Alabama and Louisiana getting beat on by hurricanes (or just not getting rebuilt after Katrina) isn't helping either.

On top of that, I haven't heard a word about McCain/Palin's plans for Iraq.

BTW: people are enlisting in the military for their own reasons. No one is bringing them into question except you.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, September 07, 2008 10:46 AM on j-body.org
ya, and when we start producing our own oil...more jobs will be created because of the need to refine it...

DING DING DING Reganomics FTW

I have not heard anything too... but that should be decided by congress anyways...well...by the "book". it does.

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Sunday, September 07, 2008 11:23 AM on j-body.org
Going for more oil isn't going to help us at all, we need to find other sources of energy. Plain and simple, other countries are starting to look at other sources, but we haven't really done anything yet. All I've been hearing from McCain is Nuclear and more Oil. There is an abundance of other sources that are cleaner than oil. When you oppose other options that will actually benefit us and generations to come, your old school and shouldn't have a place in office. And for some suggestions as to other sources of energy, wind power, water, hydrogen, corn oil, sun, etc, hell Tesla's coil could help power a lot of homes and create a @!#$ load of jobs in the U.S.

Also if you think all those off shore rigs are going to get built within the 4 years McCain is president, than your sadly mistaken. It would take years for anything to get done and by that time we will be in another depression. And with the rate the Gulf is getting hit with category 3 hurricanes what would it really do? It will soon be two this year alone. Drilling for more oil isn't going to give more jobs, it isn't going to make the economy fall back into place. It will do nothing except make you wonder as to why you put a dumb ass like McCain in the white house.

Palin really hasn't done anything to make me say wow she is a great politician. When ever I hear her, all I hear is the sex card going into play. Not a damn thing about her stance on government, hell McCain should've picked Romney as his running mate it probably would've helped him a lot more.

Chris, as far as congress having to pull troops out, there is a reason as to why there are 3 branches of gov't. The final step before anything is really put into action is by the President of the United States. He can either decline the idea or accept it. And McCain stated already he doesn't care if it takes 100+ years to win in Iraq, he won't leave till its a deceive victory.

Click Sig for Jersey GM's Official Website

Sunday, September 07, 2008 12:21 PM on j-body.org
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:ya, and when we start producing our own oil...more jobs will be created because of the need to refine it...

I have not heard anything too... but that should be decided by congress anyways...well...by the "book". it does.

Chris

That has nothing to do with Reaganomics

Sunday, September 07, 2008 1:25 PM on j-body.org
Oh?

More oil that can be had...(with the governments OK..)

More companies will open up wells...

more wells.. more refineries..

More refineries.. more money everyone has because gas price is lower...

more cares get sold..more people have to fix them...everyones happy... people spend more....company's grow....thus putting more money in the hands of people...

how isn't it Reaganomics?

Chris

Sunday, September 07, 2008 1:51 PM on j-body.org
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:ya, and when we start producing our own oil...more jobs will be created because of the need to refine it...

Chris

THE POLITICALLY INCORRECT ONE.

Sunday, September 07, 2008 4:39 PM on j-body.org

Chris
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:Oh?

More oil that can be had...(with the governments OK..)

More companies will open up wells...

more wells.. more refineries..

More refineries.. more money everyone has because gas price is lower...

more cares get sold..more people have to fix them...everyones happy... people spend more....company's grow....thus putting more money in the hands of people...

how isn't it Reaganomics?

Chris

What incentive will there be to create more jobs for the oil industry?

Did you miss the fact that Oil is still WAY over $100 a barrel? Drilling/refining more oil and creating extra supply works 180 degrees against the Oil company's best interests. They won't build new refinaries, and the US gov't sure as hell won't.

Reagan has precisely jack-@!#$ to do with this... And his economic policies were about "trickle down," meaning the upper 1% get to keep over 95% of the money, instead of 96% of the money... that 1% trickle-down is just salve on your anus to take a bit of the sting away from how bad you're all getting f*cked. Again, Reaganomics (if you bother to read this) isn't about trickling oil/economic benefit down to the rest of us: it's about cutting taxes to business and reducing government spending by reducing corporate responsibility and inflating budgets like no other.

If you really don't understand the idea that a restricted supply and increasing demand means inflated prices, then you really are arguing a concept you haven't got a good grasp on.

Have you stopped to wonder why on earth there hasn't been a new oil refinery created in about 40 years? If you're still with me on this I'll tell you:
1: The oil industry has been making money by the truckload since its inception. It takes a monumental f*ck up like George W Bush to NOT make money in the oil industry (LINK to Arbusto Energy).
2: The less supply there is, assuming demand stays the same, prices will rise. If demand increases (which it has been, by almost 4% per year) prices will rise exponentially.
3: The oil industry at all levels is using this strategy to gouge you and me on energy prices. Increasing the supply would mitigate the rise in prices, and therefore the rise in profits.

Put yourself in the shoes of an oil executive for a minute... Now... would you try to minimize or maximize your profits? Maximize right? Well, unless you're forced to do something legally (and one could theorize that with the amount of money they're making now, the oil industry could band together and bankrupt the US DOJ if it had to), you're going to keep making as much money as possible.

See why your idea will not work?

Best thing that can happen as car as energy goes:
- Start requiring new fuel efficiency standards and blending of switchgrass made ethanol.
- Start using tax incentives for auto makers to make cleaner operating engines
- Use the same tax incentives package to get people and municipalities to start transitioning to Mass Transit or non-fuel modes of transit (walking/biking/etc).
- Begin transitioning to 100% renewable fuels (Hydrogen, Biodiesel) for cars and trucks in the interim and Electric driven hybrids in the longer term,
- Start creating Energy vouchers to transition coal/natural gas (don't kid yourself, clean coal is still very pollutive) electric utilities to wind/solar/solar thermal/geothermal/hydro/tidal modes of electrical production.

This kind of a comprehensive idea is no where near McCain/Palin's scope. I think that Obama/Biden may have the gusto to do it, but we'll see.

Chris, you're obviously bright, I'm not going to infer otherwise... but I'm pretty sure you're not informed from impartial sources, and you're making really odd inferences. If you take a little time to inform yourself fully (meaning you're going to have to read 2-3 versions of the same story from different sources) I think you'll see you're a bit off base in your assumptions. If I inferred (or you mistook me for inferring) that you weren't with it or whatever, I apologize. But sometimes I find it really hard to follow your line of thinking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, September 07, 2008 5:09 PM

Sunday, September 07, 2008 4:47 PM on j-body.org

Chris
That's funny - I live near and work in Regan's home town BTW. In any case - there has been a need for more refineries for YEARS. We already cannot refine all the oil we have. Do you have any idea that we also import pre-refined gasoline for this very reason? If you where right - we would already be building them or have already done so. Why build more when fewer refineries means higher cost gas for more profit?

And as stated earlier - there are places the oil companies could start drilling today, and yet do not. So how is opening up more places helping anything?

This is all political slight of hand and you believe in the magic.

Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in
America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the
country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along,
whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist
dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the
leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and
denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the
same in any country. - Hermann Goring

Sunday, September 07, 2008 5:27 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

What incentive will there be to create more jobs for the oil industry?

They wish to make more money them selves, this they need workers, Ergo money trickles down.

I know its about cutting tax's for business, but it also was for creating jobs for the rest of us, thus my comparison.

Quote:

there has been a need for more refineries for YEARS. We already cannot refine all the oil we have.

... ok? so now that we get the EPA out of our way, we start doing it. thus creating more jobs! the EPA has blocked anyone from drilling off shore, and up in Alaska for some time.

Mat, i opoligise if i seem, sporadic, most of the time I'm on here is at work.

Chirs

Sunday, September 07, 2008 6:54 PM on j-body.org
It's Matt, but no worries...

The thing is that the Oil industry is basically just meeting demand. Supply isn't a big deal, there's oodles of oil yet to be drilled and refined, and the refineries aren't falling behind... but they're not going to put out more product than they absolutely must because they'll make a lot more money supplying at 250% of cost instead of 200% or less. They're betting that as long as they continue to run with small amount of excess supply, they won't have to answer to congressional oversight. So far, they're right.

As far as creating more jobs, they have literally got no reason to do that. GW Bush, and GHW Bush made sure that there was bigger tax incentives for major corporations to move their operations overseas than there was to create more jobs in the US (This was a major plank of Kerry's 2004 platform, bring jobs back... and he still is trying to do that). People still need fuel, so because they're the only major supplier of stored energy... you're over a barrel: you need it for heat and electricity, and transportation. They're making money hand over fist no matter what, so why get involved in building a refinery that will increase supply, drop prices, and cost them money at the same time? It's like buying an extra engine for your brand new truck and carrying it around with you in the bed all the time.

The only realistic way to drop fuel prices is to foster competition from alternate sources. And by then, you may find that oil isn't even necessary (at least for energy... it's still useful for creating items though there is a few new technologies that rely on vegetable pulp left over from corn/switchgrass processing).

Sunday, September 07, 2008 7:14 PM on j-body.org
last time i was down in Louisiana.. there were a lot of Tankers waiting to off load. last i heard also, if we opened more refineries it would help with prices...

I just dropped the 'T' like you used to

I believe, if we produce more sweet crude, and have the means to refine it in to Petro, with in the states, it will bring price per gal down, a lot, and that alone with help the US economy get back on its feet.

Chris

Sunday, September 07, 2008 7:42 PM on j-body.org
Light sweet crude is a nice thing to have, but the deposits in the US (IIRC, I might be off) are mostly heavy sour... high sulphur content. Same with most in the Middle east (at least, the ones that will still trade with the US). Again though, Congress can't force the oil industry to moderate its prices, the only way that will happen is if Bush decides to use the strategic oil reserve, but... he didn't do it after the invasion of Iraq, and only authorized "loans" with interest after Katrina... Depending on when you went to LA, the back up was possibly because of Katrina killing a bunch of refineries in LA and TX and AL.

Opening up a refinery isn't all that easy either. Imperial Oil rebuilt their refinery in Sarnia Ont, and it took them almost 6 years to do that from beginning to end. Building one requires a lot more by the way of connecting and building the infrastructure... I'd say at best you're looking at 4 years, with help from the Saudis, to build a high-capacity and high-efficiency refinery... and that's assuming you can get an oil company to play ball.

And I didn't drop the extra T on purpose.

Sunday, September 07, 2008 8:04 PM on j-body.org
Keep opec out. we can make enough oil from North America to sustain north America.

all the refineries that were taken out by katrina.. they were never rebuilt to my knowledge... that definitely is not helping the supply and demand issue.

Alaska has a lot more that can be had,, as long as the epa dose not have a say.

Chris

Sunday, September 07, 2008 9:03 PM on j-body.org
The refineries in LA/TX/AB were repaired, but IIRC about 2-3 were damaged so badly in LA that they will have to be rebuilt... If you figure there's only about 15 or so (I'm going on memory here, if anyone can correct me, please do) you're losing about 20% of the refining capacity. Drilling more isn't going to help that right now, maybe in 20 some odd years, but that's still not going to fix the refining problem.

Opec isn't the problem either, the importation of oil is something that's been happening for ages and the US has the broadest ability to move oil around of any other country to my knowledge: The point is that the supply of crude isn't the problem.

And, the EPA is the only reason you haven't got a low-lying smog cloud in the middle of the country and your storm drains aren't overflowing with effluent. Keeping stuff clean and green isn't all that bad.

Monday, September 08, 2008 8:21 AM on j-body.org
Damn guys can we stick somewhat to topic here? There are plenty of threads where we can talk oil in.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Monday, September 08, 2008 8:50 AM on j-body.org
so wait..........we can has oil?

Monday, September 08, 2008 10:50 AM on j-body.org
Trickle down economics didnt work in the 80s, they sure arent working now, when are you retards going to get it

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 2:09 PM on j-body.org
More fun reading for all the Obama lovers here who diminish the impact of Palin:

McCain now winning majority of independents
http://www.gallup.com/poll/110137/McCain-Now-Winning-Majority-Independents.aspx

McCain leaps ahead of Obama in key battleground state
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/politics&id=6380065

McCain maintains national lead over Obama
http://www.gallup.com/poll/110143/Gallup-Daily-McCain-Maintains-5Point-Lead.aspx
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 5:29 PM on j-body.org
mikeythemars wrote:More fun reading for all the Obama lovers here who diminish the impact of Palin:

McCain now winning majority of independents
http://www.gallup.com/poll/110137/McCain-Now-Winning-Majority-Independents.aspx

You missed this part:
"Nearly 40% of pure independents remain undecided."

Quote:

McCain leaps ahead of Obama in key battleground state
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/politics&id=6380065

Still lots of time, plus, there's a few other more populace battle ground states. Florida.. remember that place?

Quote:

McCain maintains national lead over Obama
http://www.gallup.com/poll/110143/Gallup-Daily-McCain-Maintains-5Point-Lead.aspx

ORLY? http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/poll-tracker.htm

The other thing: These aren't talking about PALIN. They're talking about MCCAIN. Want to try that again?

BTW: Before you start crowing about her "effect," on the race: you should really know who she's talking about.

In the first minute she needs to have it explained to her what a Vice-President DOES. Do you want someone that hasn't read the job description cleaning your house let alone flying in the country's co-pilot's seat?

**Edit**
And, yeah... Palin's not ready: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/08/AR2008090801907.html
Bare in mind that the Washington Post is one of the most GOP friendly papers printed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, September 09, 2008 5:40 PM

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 8:12 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:
And, yeah... Palin's not ready: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/08/AR2008090801907.html
Bare in mind that the Washington Post is one of the most GOP friendly papers printed.

LOL That article is a joke. Just another guy who will never know why she was not there trying to act like he does.

The only people who were not ready were the democrats. They were ready and prepared to bash Romney and the others considered to be on the short list for VP. They sure got screwed when Palin was picked. No one really saw it coming nor did they see the verbal beatdown she delivered at convention coming. Unlike Obama she can speak without a teleprompter (hers did not pause during the apluase breaks so it was far ahead of her) at the convention yet she still seemed confident and calm. Not an easy task with the enormous pressure on her. You should hear Obama stammer and stutter when he does not have a teleprompter. My point is it is easy to speak when you say what you mean and don't have to filter everything you say to make sure your position would poll well.

If some of you would get off the partisan bashing and really take a look at what she has accomplished you would see she is more likely to bring change than either of the liars who change their mind for political expediency running for president. Does the fact that she has an 82% approval rating mean anything to you guys. It should. How many governor or congressman or senators do you know with an 82% approval rating?

Lets cut the BS. You want change I want change we all want change. Honestly who is most likely to deliver it Biden or Palin. How can you defend Obama as the agent of change when he picks a lifelong politician for VP.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:38 AM on j-body.org
Well played.

Matt, if she took her top off, would you like her then?
I would..more

Chris

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search