Bridge to nowhere - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bridge to nowhere
Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:16 PM on j-body.org
Since this seems to be the latest talking point of the left I am here to debunk it.

As you know Palin did at one time support the bridge to nowhere. More info on the bridge to nowhere can be found on wikipedia.

What is not mentioned is that Obama and Biden opposed an amendment in 2005 by Senator Tom Coburn to strike the infamous $231 million “Bridge to Nowhere” earmark for Alaska and redirect that funding to help with rebuilding New Orleans after hurican Katrina. Below is a link
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=s2005-264

Sen. McCain did not vote on the Coburn Amendment, though he is on record as opposing the Ketchikan bridge earmark. The "No" vote maintained funding for the Bridge to Nowhere. Voting "Yes" shifted the funding to Hurricane Katrina relief.
http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/109/senate/1/votes/262/

She changed her mind after seeing the wasteful spending involved and became a feirce critic of it. She stated a more cost effective option would be to improve the ferrry system.

September 27, 2007 USA Today reports " Alaska's governor has officially dropped plans for one of two spans critics called 'bridges to nowhere.' Gov. Sarah Palin said this month she was scrapping the proposed $398 million bridge from Ketchikan to its airport on an nearby island where 50 people live."

In that artical USA today reports Gov. Sarah Palin ordered state transportation officials to abandon the ''bridge to nowhere'' project that became a nationwide symbol of federal pork-barrel spending. The $398 million bridge would have connected Ketchikan, on one island in southeastern Alaska, to its airport on another nearby island. ''Ketchikan desires a better way to reach the airport,'' Ms. Palin, a Republican, said in a news release, ''but the $398 million bridge is not the answer.'' She directed the State Transportation Department to find the most ''fiscally responsible'' alternative for access to the airport.

The Alaska Democratic Party credited Governor Sarah Palin for killing the Bridge to Nowhere in Alaska. That is before they scrubbed it off there website. Below is a link.
http://senateconservatives.com/2008/09/08/alaska-democrats-pull-web-page-crediting-palin-for-killing-bridge-to-nowhere/.
and another
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/31192_Alaska_Democratic_Party_Deletes_Page_Crediting_Sarah_Palin_with_Killing_Bridge_to_Nowhere

As you can see the media is very left biased otherwise they would have mentioned this. Remember you can't just take one sides word. There are two sides to every story.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Re: Bridge to nowhere
Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:48 PM on j-body.org
Good info. Very interesting.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:12 PM on j-body.org
I more place blame on the asinine Congressional reps for even thinking this was a good idea.

I don't care if she was the Governor or not, any person with a brain would have never supported this. (outside the 50 living on that island of course)

Obama's campaign and the media are try desperately to find dirt on Palin, I for one am just ignoring it. She is a VP candidate, I want to hear about the people actually running for president.
Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:40 PM on j-body.org
Wade: She also didn't turn the money away.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, September 12, 2008 7:03 AM on j-body.org
And she was for it before she was against it. Which she kept the money for it even after it was canceled

Not to mention she thinks no one should have an abortion even in cases of rape.

And she tried to fire the librarian because she would not agree with her on banning books.

And she fired the head of the State police because he would not fire her ex-brother-in-law after a messy divorce from her sister.

And she has fought for ear marks for her state that are higher per-capita than any other state in the union.

And she has always said that humans have no affect on global warming until her first interview as the VP candidate then she said that humans do have an influence on global warming.

And she was reportedly (actually can not be proved at this point) a member of the Alaskan Independence Party, who is for the succession of Alaska. (Now that right there is patriotic)

And she sold a state owned jet to a head of a corporation in Alaska that had contributed to her campaign fund. (Not illegal but it sure does raise some questions about her ethics) Reportedly it was sold to him for less than it was actually worth, I don't know about that because I have no clue about the market on used air craft. But I guess McCain does because he said in a speech that she sold it for a profit, a flat out lie.

Sounds like a real stand up lady to me.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:
and I'm NOT a pedo. everyone knows i've got a wheelchair fetish.

Friday, September 12, 2008 7:18 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

And she was for it before she was against it. Which she kept the money for it even after it was canceled

And she tried to fire the librarian because she would not agree with her on banning books.

And she fired the head of the State police because he would not fire her ex-brother-in-law after a messy divorce from her sister.

And she has fought for ear marks for her state that are higher per-capita than any other state in the union.

And she has always said that humans have no affect on global warming until her first interview as the VP candidate then she said that humans do have an influence on global warming.

And she was reportedly (actually can not be proved at this point) a member of the Alaskan Independence Party, who is for the succession of Alaska. (Now that right there is patriotic)

And she sold a state owned jet to a head of a corporation in Alaska that had contributed to her campaign fund. (Not illegal but it sure does raise some questions about her ethics) Reportedly it was sold to him for less than it was actually worth, I don't know about that because I have no clue about the market on used air craft. But I guess McCain does because he said in a speech that she sold it for a profit, a flat out lie.

Maybe you should fact check your random e-mails before you help that guy from Ethiopia...

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Friday, September 12, 2008 7:27 AM on j-body.org
yeah i know a couple of things on that list have allready been debunked.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, September 12, 2008 7:50 AM on j-body.org
john317(AKA Gary the Old guy) wrote:
Quote:

Maybe you should fact check your random e-mails before you help that guy from Ethiopia...

That was a great come back, I would expect such a retort from a 5th grader not you. Maybe you should open your eyes and not blindly follow your political party like the rest of the sheep in this country.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/11/palin-drops-bridge-to-nowhere-reference-in-new-speeches/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/01/palin-on-abortion-id-oppo_n_122924.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-palin-book_bdsep07,0,3537053.story

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26458400/

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2008154664_palin03.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/12/politics/animal/main4443795.shtml

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/members-of-frin.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/05/AR2008090503722.html?referrer=digg

Friday, September 12, 2008 8:41 AM on j-body.org
sndsgood wrote:yeah i know a couple of things on that list have allready been debunked.

I am glad to see some people do.

I am a busy guy working 2 jobs I simply don't have time to debunk all the BS floating around out there.

As for Harington. I suggest you take your own advice. Infact I have suggested you do that before...seems to be a common trend with you.

Friday, September 12, 2008 8:45 AM on j-body.org
I do not blindly follow a political party like you do wade. I bet you have no clue who I even support in this race do you?

Friday, September 12, 2008 9:42 AM on j-body.org
Harrington (Fiber Faber) wrote:I bet you have no clue who I even support in this race do you?
$10 on Bob Barr...

While Harrington put his own spin on the facts presented in the articles (making some seem like a sure thing rather than speculation - like the police firing), and the links posted may be biased (some are very obvious), they DO present the facts before spinning them. It would definitely be nice to see some spins from the other side of the table as well, instead of just "that's not true" or "you're stupid".
Sndsgood, proof of said debunking?

11 speaker JL Audio stereo setup for sale:
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/audio/52021/

Friday, September 12, 2008 9:45 AM on j-body.org
OHV notec wrote:
Harrington (Fiber Faber) wrote:I bet you have no clue who I even support in this race do you?
$10 on Bob Barr...

While Harrington put his own spin on the facts presented in the articles (making some seem like a sure thing rather than speculation - like the police firing), and the links posted may be biased (some are very obvious), they DO present the facts before spinning them. It would definitely be nice to see some spins from the other side of the table as well, instead of just "that's not true" or "you're stupid".
Sndsgood, proof of said debunking?

Close but I will have to take your $10.00.

Friday, September 12, 2008 9:51 AM on j-body.org
Harrington (Fiber Faber) wrote:Close but I will have to take your $10.00.
Double or nothing for Nader...
And after that double or nothing for a Ron Paul write-in...

Friday, September 12, 2008 10:02 AM on j-body.org

Ron Paul write in FTW!

Friday, September 12, 2008 2:10 PM on j-body.org
ohv i'll try and look it back up it was a week ago that the library deal came up. was just one of those things that pops up on the internet that absolutly no proof is found on. i remember the article was actually about the election and the internet in how now adays as soon as a candidate goes up for an election all these emails start popping up about mistruths and in some instances just blantant lies and how it effects todays voting society. they said the only person that this hasn't happened to in this election is mccain.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, September 15, 2008 2:15 PM on j-body.org
Harrington (Fiber Faber) wrote:And she was for it before she was against it. Which she kept the money for it even after it was canceled

Sounds like a real stand up lady to me.

WOW its amazing ho similar that is to one I saw about Obama. Only it listed a different state and his position in the state. I dont pay attention to 90% of the political BS that any party puts out.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 3:10 PM on j-body.org
www.factcheck.org

everything else puts a spin on @!#$.

read up.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:26 AM on j-body.org
Ha HA HA HA HA That place should be called factcheckmyass. It has been proven to be spin things in Obama's favor.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:54 AM on j-body.org
Wade Jarvis wrote:Ha HA HA HA HA That place should be called factcheckmyass. It has been proven to be spin things in Obama's favor.

Everything is spun in Obama's favor isn't it Wade? Proven by who?

Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:20 AM on j-body.org
Harrington (Fiber Faber) wrote:
Wade Jarvis wrote:Ha HA HA HA HA That place should be called factcheckmyass. It has been proven to be spin things in Obama's favor.

Oh my god! I have only read like 3 threads and every one of them has Wade swinging his republican nuts around! Kinda annoying. Trying to get an unbiased opinion around here is retarded with Wade... I shoulda just slapped you with that slice of lil ceasars pizza instead of eating it!

Thursday, September 18, 2008 12:16 PM on j-body.org
RaGiN Z (the fake 05) wrote:

Oh my god! I have only read like 3 threads and every one of them has Wade swinging his republican nuts around! Kinda annoying. Trying to get an unbiased opinion around here is retarded with Wade... I shoulda just slapped you with that slice of lil ceasars pizza instead of eating it!

looking for an unbiased opinion? in the war forum?

fail

Thursday, September 18, 2008 12:27 PM on j-body.org

GAT DANG LIB'RUL MEDIA!

Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:19 PM on j-body.org
choosey moms choose J03Y wrote:

looking for an unbiased opinion? in the war forum?

fail

lol, you got me there. I just didn't expect that every thread I would read would be Wade arguing for republican.

I am registered republican! Its people like him just annoy me, no matter what party they are drones to!

Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:52 PM on j-body.org

Oh my god! I have only read like 3 threads and every one of them has Wade swinging his republican nuts around! Kinda annoying. Trying to get an unbiased opinion around here is retarded with Wade...
Anyone here do even halfway decent on the SATs?
Wade : elephants :: GAM : donkeys
At least Wade makes an attempt to back up his claims, unlike most other people here (from both sides mind you). Having said that, proof on Factcheck.org? You did say "proven" after all... Alternative unbiased site you would recommend?

Friday, September 19, 2008 1:25 AM on j-body.org
OHV notec wrote:

Oh my god! I have only read like 3 threads and every one of them has Wade swinging his republican nuts around! Kinda annoying. Trying to get an unbiased opinion around here is retarded with Wade...
Anyone here do even halfway decent on the SATs?
Wade : elephants :: GAM : donkeys
At least Wade makes an attempt to back up his claims, unlike most other people here (from both sides mind you). Having said that, proof on Factcheck.org? You did say "proven" after all... Alternative unbiased site you would recommend?
Look - if ANYONE says anything contrary to Conservative talking points - and God help them if they have proof against that point - they are automatically part of a partisan Liberal plot to deceive and destroy America. Welcome to the mind of the Neo-Con.

Even Karl %&#@ing Rove says McCain is going to far in his lies. That is Karl - the king of Republican spin and smear - Rove saying this on FOX NEWS. I guess he and they are just in the tank for Obama too... Damn Liberals!!

Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in
America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the
country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along,
whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist
dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the
leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and
denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the
same in any country. - Hermann Goring

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search