Peabody, MA...new police contract, 9-11 holiday - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Peabody, MA...new police contract, 9-11 holiday
Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:20 PM on j-body.org
Peabody police officers will get 'holiday pay' if they work on September 11

Anyone else think this is bullsh!t? No one in the department died on 9/11, no one lost family that day. Why is it that they had to negotiate 9/11 to be recognized as a holiday, where they get OT pay if they do work?

Personally I think it was merely an excuse for another pay bump and/or day off that doesn't come out of their vacation pay. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the police men and women who take their jobs seriously, do the right thing, and serve the people, but I'm sick of the ones that act like they are f&$king royalty, and everyone owes them something. MA has tons of them, and I believe this is simply another example.

Re: Peabody, MA...new police contract, 9-11 holiday
Friday, October 24, 2008 5:22 PM on j-body.org
yea its bull@!#$, when the government fails to do its job and @!#$ up and ppl die it shouldnt be a holiday

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, October 24, 2008 9:19 PM on j-body.org
You ever get laid Matt?

your always so negative....

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:22 AM on j-body.org
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:You ever get laid Matt?

your always so negative....

Chris
Only once, but the other guy needed the money
Monday, November 03, 2008 7:17 AM on j-body.org
9/11/2001 certainly deserves to be an annual day of remembrance and prayer... However I don't think it should be considered a holiday which is generally thought of as a day of celebration...

Monday, November 03, 2008 2:26 PM on j-body.org
Jazer {Turbo Chica} wrote:9/11/2001 certainly deserves to be an annual day of remembrance and prayer... However I don't think it should be considered a holiday which is generally thought of as a day of celebration...

*WTF *WTF

Ummmm....really? Since when? Alot of holidays are days are just like this one...

You guys realize they prolly gave something else up to get this right? Its a negotiation. They want 911 off...thats fine. We have tommarow off...Election Day...so we can vote. Yes a whole day just to vote....Because we chose to in our contract. If we want to take a random tuesday off every year as a holiday....we can get it. I dont see how its a big deal or how it makes them ass holes...Unions Pick there holidays...Im sure theres another day they dont get off that alot of us do...

Monday, November 03, 2008 2:36 PM on j-body.org
rosario hit it on the head, it was a negotiation, unions negotiate all the time for things some they get some they dont. for the jobs that cops do and the pay they make (not much) i dont see it as a big deal. i mean i get the day after thanksgiving off but my wife doesnt, she doesnt think im royalty by any means.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, November 03, 2008 3:17 PM on j-body.org
sndsgood wrote:rosario hit it on the head, it was a negotiation, unions negotiate all the time for things some they get some they dont. for the jobs that cops do and the pay they make (not much) i dont see it as a big deal. i mean i get the day after thanksgiving off but my wife doesnt, she doesnt think im royalty by any means.

I want to be clear about something I said, though. I by no means think that all or the majority of cops are like this, but I know for a fact that MA has a sh!tload of them. There was just a good investigative report done on a bunch of MA cops who were not even working when they were supposed to be. Their cruisers were found parked, and they were off doing something else. One of them was even running a business.

Two years ago, there was another investigation into the MA state troopers, where a bunch of them had horrible accident records, and were writing their own reports and finding themselves not at fault.

I personally have known a handful of crooked MA cops, one of which hit a kid on a bike while on his way to duty, intoxicated, had a cab full of empties in his pickup, but it was brushed under the carpet, and he was simply put on desk duty for that shift, so that he wasn't out on the street causing any more danger. Others will go into a restaurant for lunch, and expect that they get their meal free. I watched one give the waitress a hard time because she actually handed him his bill. There are definitely a lot of them like that in the state.

I have no faith whatsoever that they gave anything up in exchange for that day. I have not seen anything to refute that they simply got another day off, or day that they get OT pay if they work.

Monday, November 03, 2008 3:48 PM on j-body.org
then so be it if they didnt give anything up.... Thats the @!#$ point of union negotiations. If there union got that for them then good for them...

Monday, November 03, 2008 5:38 PM on j-body.org
Rosario wrote:then so be it if they didnt give anything up.... Thats the @!#$ point of union negotiations. If there union got that for them then good for them...

We're getting off point here, but I'll say this: unions have employers (in this case, the taxpayers and general public) by the balls. It's hardly a negotiation when you are talking about the fact that if they want to, they can threaten a strike, which, in the case of police, means no law enforcement in that area.

The laws regarding unions need to be amended, and in a big way. The rules governing actions taken by unions and employers are so skewed toward the union that in many cases the hands of the employer are completely tied, when the union has no restriction.

And back to the point, I fully believe this was the union and members taking advantage of a tragedy to get something for themselves. I see it as nothing less.

Monday, November 03, 2008 5:47 PM on j-body.org
yeah but like i said origonaly. me getting off the day after thanksgiving isnt me taking advantage of pilgrims or indians, its just another day off. if the union wants that day off and they get it its not a slap in the face, regardless if they didn't specifically have anyone in their unit die allot of cops did die that day and i know "most" (not all) have allot of respect for that. I know anytime a cop died when i was in cincinnati cops would come in from all over the country to support their fallen brother. same goes for the fire departments out there.

as far as wether they were good cops or bad cops their are bad seeds in every single profession out there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Monday, November 03, 2008 8:44 PM on j-body.org
Quiklilcav wrote:
Rosario wrote:then so be it if they didnt give anything up.... Thats the @!#$ point of union negotiations. If there union got that for them then good for them...

We're getting off point here, but I'll say this: unions have employers (in this case, the taxpayers and general public) by the balls. It's hardly a negotiation when you are talking about the fact that if they want to, they can threaten a strike, which, in the case of police, means no law enforcement in that area.

The laws regarding unions need to be amended, and in a big way. The rules governing actions taken by unions and employers are so skewed toward the union that in many cases the hands of the employer are completely tied, when the union has no restriction.

And back to the point, I fully believe this was the union and members taking advantage of a tragedy to get something for themselves. I see it as nothing less.

Dont speak on something you have no @!#$ clue about....

The only one getting off point is you, they got something in there contract that they wanted...it happens.....you are making more of it then it really is...fact of the matter is that it was a negotiation and they got the holiday they wanted...thats one thing that is up for grabs in a contract, holidays, you pick and choose...

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 6:44 AM on j-body.org
Rosario wrote:Dont speak on something you have no @!#$ clue about....

I don't speak about things I have no clue. Care to back any of that presumptuous statement with a fact, or some kind of compelling argument?

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 7:30 AM on j-body.org
I sitll don't see why I was way off with my comment. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, or being open to hear other views and learn something new.

Tell me a holiday that does not represent something that we have to be thankful for and "celebrate" about. Even if someone gave up something and it was a sad day, that day in history, but it was someone making a stance to do something great... thats different.

If I'm wrong, and don't know the true meanings of our national holidays, then please be my guest and inform me.

9/11 was an attack. No one willingly gave up their life to better the people of the country.

I think that anyone has the right to take it off if they want to, especially if they were somehow tied to the events that day. Like I said, it should be recognized as a day of remembrance for those that lost their lives. But to look at it, as a Holiday? It doesn't seem right to me..

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 8:26 AM on j-body.org
Ok Ill Take Jazer first...

People gave there lives(firefighters, Rescue Workers, LEO's) trying to save others.

So there goes that argument.
Now, let me touch on my orginal point.

A holiday is not a day for celebration.

Actually a holiday is

1: holy day
2: a day on which one is exempt from work

It has many other meanings, but holiday doesn't mean celebrate. And my point is even if it did mean that, these people aren't asking for it off to celebrate, its called a holiday by unions and companies....

Get over it...

As for you Quiklilcav

Quote:

To avoid getting into an argument over unions(Because you really dont know what your talking about) ill just say this.

Law Enforcement Cannot strike.

They bargained for that. they got it, Thats life, we as a Union get to pick our days off and we can make them any damn day we want. Got a problem with it? To bad...Quit being a rat and join the @!#$ union.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 8:42 AM on j-body.org
Rosario... I see what you are saying

I suppose with your definition of a Holiday, it makes sence. As I view it as being a day of remembrance and prayer, which is basically what you are saing as it being a holy day... as well as people should have the option to take it off as it was a very sad day in our recent history.

I guess the way society now-a-days views "holidays" is more so how I do not view 9/11.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 9:19 AM on j-body.org
Jazer {Turbo Chica} wrote:Rosario... I see what you are saying

I suppose with your definition of a Holiday, it makes sence. As I view it as being a day of remembrance and prayer, which is basically what you are saing as it being a holy day... as well as people should have the option to take it off as it was a very sad day in our recent history.

I guess the way society now-a-days views "holidays" is more so how I do not view 9/11.

we get the day after thanksgiving off which is friday, its called a holiday in our employee handbook, its just another way of saying a day off. it doesnt have to literally mean a day of celebration or anything like that.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 10:32 AM on j-body.org
Rosario wrote:To avoid getting into an argument over unions(Because you really dont know what your talking about) ill just say this.

I have a large number of people in my family who have been in unions their entire lives. My father was a union member for almost 40 years. I have worked for companies who were salted, and seen first hand how their hands are tied, yet the union can do pretty much anything they want. Hence my statement that you are being presumptuous. You have no idea what I know about unions. You assume that because you are a member, and I am not, I don't have a clue.

As for law enforcement not being able to strike. I will admit a lack of first hand knowledge here, but in the early 90's, I swear there was a police strike in a MA town.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 10:59 AM on j-body.org
sndsgood wrote:

we get the day after thanksgiving off which is friday, its called a holiday in our employee handbook, its just another way of saying a day off. it doesnt have to literally mean a day of celebration or anything like that.

Good point.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 2:25 PM on j-body.org
Quiklilcav wrote:
Rosario wrote:To avoid getting into an argument over unions(Because you really dont know what your talking about) ill just say this.

I have a large number of people in my family who have been in unions their entire lives. My father was a union member for almost 40 years. I have worked for companies who were salted, and seen first hand how their hands are tied, yet the union can do pretty much anything they want. Hence my statement that you are being presumptuous. You have no idea what I know about unions. You assume that because you are a member, and I am not, I don't have a clue.

As for law enforcement not being able to strike. I will admit a lack of first hand knowledge here, but in the early 90's, I swear there was a police strike in a MA town.

yeah i believe they are not able to strike, what has happend is they call a blue day where a good majority of the officers will all call in sick, ive seen that happen before but i dont beleive they can strike.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 2:51 PM on j-body.org
sndsgood wrote:yeah i believe they are not able to strike, what has happend is they call a blue day where a good majority of the officers will all call in sick, ive seen that happen before but i dont beleive they can strike.

Maybe that's what I'm thinking of, but I remember it causing problems. I was living in MA at the time.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 5:16 PM on j-body.org
Jazer {Turbo Chica} wrote:
sndsgood wrote:

Good point.

He said what i was unable to say haha...that was my point...

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 6:16 PM on j-body.org
Jazer {Turbo Chica} wrote:
sndsgood wrote:

Good point.

so Veterans Day is a happy day?
Memorial Day is a happy day?
sorry, your argument is wrong. Holiday is not meant as a happy day as previously stated, it just became known that way because of Christmas, and "Happy Holidays!"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search