World Citizens Prefer Obama to McCain - Page 3 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: World Citizens Prefer Obama to McCain
Monday, November 10, 2008 11:38 AM on j-body.org
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:So, How can we get back on track and make this the Republic is should be?

Chris

For openers, how about NOT voting for a democrat or a republican, and voting for a person based of personal merit as opposed to which high school "clique" they belong to.

I think abolishing political parties would be a good start let people vote on candidate merit.

That would be a start.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.

Monday, November 10, 2008 5:25 PM on j-body.org
I don't think we should choose who is president.

After all, this is supposed to be a Republic.

However getting rid of party is a great start.

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 9:48 AM on j-body.org
It's technically a democratic representative republic. In other words, we choose who to represent us on most if not all levels to carry out the descsions.

Not necessarily a bad thing in theory. it just need some MAJOR tweaking because inherent to the system, who gets into office on all levels is not necessarily representaive.

This election, close as it was, popular-wise, was representative--unlike 2000 and a couple of elections beforehand, which showed the inherent weakness in the system. Plus, the electoral college makes it out to be a landslide.

Personally, I'd like to see these changes happen to the political system:

President/Executive office:

1st and formost, have the vice president be an entirely different election whatsoever rather than "running mate". Their jobs are vastly different.

Eliminate the electoral college. In this day and age, we all are informed, be it misinformed or otherwise.

All debates/etc. are open to ALL candidates, Period.

Legislative branch
For the House of representatives:

Limit of 6 terms--12 years

For the Senate:

Limit of 2 terms--12 years

Elections held every 3 years.

General Voting/Campaining

Abolish Political parties.

Voting records be a matter of instant audit and referral to whomever cast it: i.e If i want to check who i voted for in 2000, i can do that, or 2008. futher, you should get a reciept at the polling place.

Voter fraud be considered treason, same thing with rigging elections and threatening voters.

All campains have a cap on how much the candidate or people supporting them are allowed to spend.

All campains have an equal limit of media exposure.

Polls open and close in equal time: I.E. the election would go from midnight on electiomn day, Eastern time, to 11:59pm election day Hawaiian/Aleutian time. You can vote any time between those times no matter where you are.

Just My $.02

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Tuesday, November 11, 2008 12:05 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper Of The Light™ (Strazca)]It's technically a democratic representative republic. In other words, we choose who to represent us on most if not all levels to carry out the descsions.

Not necessarily a bad thing in theory. it just need some MAJOR tweaking because inherent to the system, who gets into office on all levels is not necessarily representaive.

This election, close as it was, popular-wise, was representative--unlike 2000 and a couple of elections beforehand, which showed the inherent weakness in the system. Plus, the electoral college makes it out to be a landslide.

1st and formost, have the vice president be an entirely different election whatsoever rather than "running mate". Their jobs are vastly different.

Eliminate the electoral college. In this day and age, we all are informed, be it misinformed or otherwise.

Legislative branch

For the Senate:

Voting records be a matter of instant audit and referral to whomever cast it: i.e If i want to check who i voted for in 2000, i can do that, or 2008. futher, you should get a reciept at the polling place.

Voter fraud be considered treason, same thing with rigging elections and threatening voters.

All campains have a cap on how much the candidate or people supporting them are allowed to spend.

Polls open and close in equal time: I.E. the election would go from midnight on electiomn day, Eastern time, to 11:59pm election day Hawaiian/Aleutian time. You can vote any time between those times no matter where you are.

Just My $.02

and add - Voting machines need not necessarily be paper(although many people do insist on that), but need to be open source coded if computer based.

As for the VP spot - I like how it was initially done. The guy who got 2nd place in the presidential election got the VP spot.

Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in
America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the
country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along,
whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist
dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the
leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and
denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the
same in any country. - Hermann Goring

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 1:30 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper Of The Light™ (Strazca)]It's technically a democratic representative republic. In other words, we choose who to represent us on most if not all levels to carry out the descsions.

Legislative branch

For the Senate:

Just My $.02
For once, I think we might agree, with one minor change I would make:
Instead of having limits on funds, just do away with all the advertising period, and have numerous debates and scheduled publicly broadcast speeches, where every candidate gets equal time to say what they are going to be about, or what they have done, that makes them qualified.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:22 PM on j-body.org
I like how they did it in the old days with the VP, second place guy gets the spot.

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:02 AM on j-body.org
Quick: I can live with that, as long as there's some method to punish any advertising...preferably very harsly.

And nothing wrong with disagreeing. We both have taken very different paths in life and have very different points of view. I may not agree, but I respect that you have a different P.O.V. than I do.

Taetsch: I don;'t disagree with that stance, however, since Washington's death, somehow we got a silly idea that the president and the vice president need to be from the same party despite the 2 different jobs they do.

As far as I'm concerned, unless the limit of, and the extent of the Vice President's duties is in line with the comparison of the Captain and Alternate Captain in Hockey (which it isn't), it should be a separate elected post that the voter takes into consideration if the President pops his clogs or someone offs him, they take his spot.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:19 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper Of The Light™ (Strazca)]And nothing wrong with disagreeing. We both have taken very different paths in life and have very different points of view. I may not agree, but I respect that you have a different P.O.V. than I do.
Of course not. I love a good debate, as long as it never gets personal, and it's intelligent.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search