Big 3 CEO's and their jets. - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Big 3 CEO's and their jets.
Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:28 PM on j-body.org
Clicky.

So I suppose these days flying private jets isn't THAT big of a deal. My dads company flies him around on theirs every once in awhile.

But these guys seriously have bad PR people working for them. Fly commercial, sell your damn private jets and save some damn jobs.

I wish they would have asked the UAW leader that question though as well.

Re: Big 3 CEO's and their jets.
Friday, November 21, 2008 4:48 AM on j-body.org
This clip shows a little more of that has Richard Wagoner trying to bullsh!t answer the question from Paul Kanjorski of how much money they need:

Friday, November 21, 2008 6:16 AM on j-body.org
yea i love how a few of them go easily bail out their own company and not really be financially hurting.... however, they fly in their own personal jet to beg for money. i wouldve laughed in their faces. then once i caught my breath, said no.

Friday, November 21, 2008 7:16 AM on j-body.org
I say they offer them a 1:1 match. For every dollar that the CEO's put in, the government will put in a dollar.

This would also come with the requirement of a strong business plan laid out to get them out of the hole, and serious salary and expenditures cuts.

Friday, November 21, 2008 9:11 AM on j-body.org
I don't believe the economy is there worst enemy. They keep saying they didn't foresee the economy turning for the worst and thats why they need this bailout. But without looking up the figures, I don't believe GM has turned a profit in what, 3-4 years? Could be wrong on that though.

Friday, November 21, 2008 9:56 AM on j-body.org
It has nothing to do with the economic down turn and has every thing to do with terrible business practices. I for one do not feel sorry for them.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:
and I'm NOT a pedo. everyone knows i've got a wheelchair fetish.

Friday, November 21, 2008 10:19 AM on j-body.org
I love it when big wig Ceo's complain about money but never think about cutting back thier own multi million dollar a year salaries and lavish lifestyles. I was watching cnnt last night and it seems like the ceo's want a handout but have not put in any effort to try and fix the problem. They just seem to want a handout and hopefully this time around itll change whats been going on for the past few years. Dumbasses.
Friday, November 21, 2008 10:54 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

GM to return two leased jets amid criticism

DETROIT (Reuters) – General Motors Corp(GM.N) will return two of its leased corporate jets amid intense criticism in Washington this week on the luxury travel arrangements of its chief executive even as the company pleads for federal aid.

CEO Rick Wagoner was in the capital to testify on the company's dire financial situation but his testimony was overshadowed by irate lawmakers who blasted him for flying on a private jet to ask for public funds and failing to make personal sacrifices in exchange for federal assistance.

Chief executives from Ford Motor Co(F.N), and Chrysler LLC, who were also there to plead for $25 billion in federal aid, came under fire too for flying to Washington in private jets.

GM spokesman Tom Wilkinson said on Friday GM decided to return the aircraft because of a "really aggressive cutback in travel."

The company, which is in a cost-cutting mode, is scrutinizing every trip, he said, but declined to disclose the name of the company it leases the airplanes from.

Wilkinson said the decision to return the leased corporate jets was made before this week's hearings and that the company in September returned two other of the seven jets it had at the beginning of the year.

"There is a perception issue," Wilkinson said of Wagoner's travel to Washington on a private jet. "We need to be very sensitive to that going forward."

He, however, said the company has not decided on what mode of transportation Wagoner would take if had to travel to Washington again.

Wagoner and Ford CEO Alan Mulally are required by their companies to fly by private aircraft for security reasons, according to company documents filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

The policy for Chrysler CEO Robert Nardelli is not required to be disclosed because the company is not publicly traded.

Skeptical lawmakers took to task the three CEOs for their luxurious travel arrangements at congressional committee hearings.

"Couldn't you have downgraded to first class or something, or jet-pooled or something to get here?" Rep. Gary Ackerman, a New York Democrat, asked the executives at a hearing held by the U.S. House Financial Services Committee.

Even Democrats who said they were sympathetic to the automakers' plight expressed frustration that the executives used private jets while professing ruthless cost-cutting measures.

A Chrysler spokesman said the automaker also leases or charters jets. He, however, declined to comment on whether the company was rethinking the use of private jets for executive travel, saying it was a "private matter."

Ford did not have an immediate comment on its corporate jet policy.

According to Ford's proxy, CEO Mulally's compensation included $752,203 in 2007 for personal use of company aircraft.

About two years ago, the head of Ford's North American operations, Mark Fields, gave up use of a corporate jet for personal travel to his home in Florida after the arrangement came under criticism at a time when the automaker was losing billions and slashing jobs.

He now flies first class on commercial planes.

Friday, November 21, 2008 1:20 PM on j-body.org
the only part about this that i dont like is that they are being lectured by congress....some of the most wasteful, hypocritical, pork barrelling bastards around.

Friday, November 21, 2008 1:26 PM on j-body.org
(tabs) wrote:the only part about this that i dont like is that they are being lectured by congress....some of the most wasteful, hypocritical, pork barrelling bastards around.

Yea no joke, they couldnt keep a budget if their lives depended on it.

Saturday, November 22, 2008 1:07 AM on j-body.org
The more I hear about the bailout, the more I think that the CEO's of the big three will use it to slap a coat of paint on their respective companies and make it look like everything's going fine so they can look for new jobs while some other CEO inherits their crumbling legacy. That way they can always say "I did everything I could to keep it alive and it was going well when I left."

Bunch of a**holes.

Saturday, November 22, 2008 1:48 AM on j-body.org
poor PR + oblivious management + no real-world plans = NO BAILOUT !!!

[ o ][][][][][][][][ o ] coach built xj  ( o   \[][][][][][][]/  o ) hid wj
Saturday, November 22, 2008 8:12 PM on j-body.org
You know what my favorite thing about this is? That Opel is being bailed out by the German government, that GM Brazil is being bailed out by the Brazilian government and that Holden is being bailed out by the Australian government. What? You didn't think GM was going to help their own subdivisions did you? The 25 Billion stays for GM North America, period.

Where I'm going with this is that all told GM could get something along the likes of 75 billion by the time this is over.
Sunday, November 23, 2008 1:30 PM on j-body.org
The big three are after loans not a bail out. Also flying on a corperate jet is company policy for many companies due to security reasons. You also wont find 2 high level execs on the same corporate jet at the same time either. this is so that if the plane were to go down you would only loose one high level exec. I really do not see anything wrong with them using company jets for business. Also by flying a corporate jet the execs can conduct business with no interuptions. What makes more sense, forcing an exec to use a comercial flight that could be delayed for any of a number of reasons, cant conduct important business while a the airport or in flight due to security, and has to take extra time off for the preflight BS, or allowing them to conduct business from when they leave the office all the way until the get to teh final destination?

Sunday, November 23, 2008 6:27 PM on j-body.org
what doesnt make sense is spending $15k on a flight to go ask someone for money. i understand the pros of doing so, but in the end i think it would show much more enthusiasm and importance of the matter if they did it business class or something like that. i mean hell.....they could DRIVE a GM car there. im sure they could just pick a caddy limo off the line and drive around with it.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 6:43 PM on j-body.org
Wagoner and Lutz are both very hard workers and conduct business the entire time they are traveling. You cant do that on a commercial flight. Also what would congress have said if the execs showed up late because teh flight was delayed? Regardless it was a no win situation for them. BTW my mom deals with GM execs all the time and knows ho they work and why they do what they do. They wouldnt fly a company jet just because they can, they do it because it has been company policy for a long time and it is more efficient (in the big picture of business). Also if a GM exec wishes to use the company jet for personal use they have to pay for it. Its only free for business related travel.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:17 PM on j-body.org
You know there are more options than jets. like turbo props. I know because my family's company used them it was no GM but we had plants everywhere all over North America and europe. they used turbo props instead because it made a client say well thats neat but not wasteful like a jet asking where is my money going?

The proper way of using the word seen. It is not I seen it that would be I saw it. He has seen the car is the right way to use the word. English class is Cool. By the way thats my sig
Thursday, November 27, 2008 7:26 PM on j-body.org
mitdr774 wrote:Wagoner and Lutz are both very hard workers and conduct business the entire time they are traveling. You cant do that on a commercial flight. Also what would congress have said if the execs showed up late because teh flight was delayed? Regardless it was a no win situation for them. BTW my mom deals with GM execs all the time and knows ho they work and why they do what they do. They wouldnt fly a company jet just because they can, they do it because it has been company policy for a long time and it is more efficient (in the big picture of business). Also if a GM exec wishes to use the company jet for personal use they have to pay for it. Its only free for business related travel.

i gotta agree with you there for the most part. allot of those big business out there the jet is just the way its done and when you think about the amount of money gm puts out in a single day a jet to them is no diffrent then a company car to a small business. but it was still funny as hell. would be like me going to a bank and asking for a loan and having the loan officer go. why should we give you a loan. i see that mc donald's cup, i know you ate out today instead of packing lunch. shame shame.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, November 28, 2008 7:55 PM on j-body.org
I personally do not want GM to fail, but it is about time they declared bankrupcy and got rid of those unions and huge benefits plans. Name the companies that are global that can compete nowadays with that.

I have news for the manufacturing people. Unless your job actually requires a US address, it is at risk, if you want to keep it do not expect huge benefit packages. Get a higher education than you have and do other work.

Friday, December 05, 2008 11:26 AM on j-body.org
I say let them fail and also let them learn from there mistakes. IF well bail them out right now I bet you by end of 2009 they will be back for more money. because as a taxpayer I am sick and tired of these dam bail outs for banks, housing market, insurance company's I say also let them fail and learn from there mistakes.

Join My Facebook Group: http://alturl.com/ppbe
Saturday, December 06, 2008 12:33 PM on j-body.org
This whole thing seems to me like a dog and pony show.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 5:53 PM on j-body.org
Wade Jarvis wrote:This whole thing seems to me like a dog and pony show.

ding ding ding. we have a winner. after the whole aig deal with them going off and spending a half million bucks or whatever at their little retreat, the goverment is acting like its being really strict now with the automotive manufacturers to try to save face. i gaurentee they didnt ask aig how it got to congress.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, December 11, 2008 8:01 AM on j-body.org
sndsgood wrote:
Wade Jarvis wrote:This whole thing seems to me like a dog and pony show.

ding ding ding. we have a winner. after the whole aig deal with them going off and spending a half million bucks or whatever at their little retreat, the goverment is acting like its being really strict now with the automotive manufacturers to try to save face. i gaurentee they didnt ask aig how it got to congress.

I bet your right.

I would have made AIG give the money right back after that BS.

Friday, December 12, 2008 10:57 AM on j-body.org
How did the CEO's of AIG and Bank of America get to their congressional hearings?

Friday, December 12, 2008 11:16 AM on j-body.org
I read a comment in the paper today that I thought was interesting.

"Instead of giving GM a bail out, the government should use the $14 billion or whatever to buy domestic vehicles for all government employees."

I thought this was a good idea, because
It would give GM a market for it's vehicles, and
It would give the gov't employees money, b/c they can sell their other cars.

The government would buy all 4 cylinder vehicles and hybrids, thereby reducing pollution by all the gov't workers that drive 6 and 8 cylinders, since they don't need them anyway and this would make all the hippies and enviro-friends happy.

and then, the problem would be solved.
Comments??
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search