worth watching - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
worth watching
Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:27 AM on j-body.org
not sure if this is a repost but it has alot of truth to it

says alot

Re: worth watching
Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:07 AM on j-body.org
I agree with that guy 100%. A country is defined by borders, launguage and culture. We must remember "United we stand, Devided we fall".

He also makes a very good point about why trusting the government to run our healthcare is not a good idea.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:32 AM on j-body.org
the one thing I like about the video is hes not blaming any particular party hes just speaking the truth about the way the government as a whole has flopped
Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:33 AM on j-body.org
We just need to get rid of the "para espanol, press el numbero dos"
Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:09 AM on j-body.org
also, after all that talk he did not mention a single word about God. I'm not a perfect person, but God and christianity is a huge factor in the American culture and we are losing that too.
Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:18 AM on j-body.org
spoiler wrote:also, after all that talk he did not mention a single word about God. I'm not a perfect person, but God and christianity is a huge factor in the American culture and we are losing that too.

watch again around the 3minute and 50 second mark he does talk alittle about that
Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:27 AM on j-body.org
spoiler wrote:also, after all that talk he did not mention a single word about God. I'm not a perfect person, but God and christianity is a huge factor in the American culture and we are losing that too.

If that is really how you feel your own party is the one fighting you on that. Call your represenative and tell them just what you said above.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:57 PM on j-body.org
9/10 for creativity. It was enjoyable to watch.

I agree with alot of what he is saying, not so much all of it though.

I agree that people here divide themselves too much - like I've said for a long time, calling yourself "African American" etc, when you where born in and lived exclusively in America, you should simply call yourself an American. I don't call myself an European American, do I?

I can't agree with that nonsense saying don't tolerate anyone different than you. I'm not talking about language, people need to learn the majority language - which is English, but the whole don't tolerate gays, etc talk is retarded. Back to the English point, when the Dutch came here, they learned English, when the Germans came here, they learned English, when the Chinese came here, they learned... ENGLISH, and so forth. But when the Hispanics came, they learned... to keep speaking Spanish.

Diversity is ok to an extent. This nation has long been called "the great mixing pot," even from the beginning, our forefathers didn't share an identical religion(mostly different denomination of Christianity, but those denominations where pretty opposed to each other at the time) or even nationalities. But the point of the mixing pot idea is that out of many, we do form one. People who try to stay isolated from this(such as black people who don't want to "act white," and white people who don't want to "act black" etc). So there are forces out there that do interfere with the proper mixing of society into one, and this is our real problem.

He said it right when he said Separation of Church and State is fine, but not Separation of God and society. Simply put, Religion should not be influencing Government, and at the same time, Government should not be interfering with Religious matters. Instead you have 2 sides wanting to take opposite extremist views - the first who thinks they have the right to legislate their religious beliefs onto other people, and the other side that thinks that all religious expression and any mention of God should be disallowed. They think you can believe what you want, but have NO RIGHT to express it publicly. Both sides are @!#$ extremist morons. But people seem to think they need to "pick a side" when common sense outlines what I underlined - and which neither "side" of the argument supports.

Someone else stating their beliefs(be it at home, on the street, or at school), having "In God We Trust" printed on money, and even having some commandments printed on a courthouse statue - all these things DO NOT interfere with your own religious beliefs or lack there of. Someone freely expressing their Religious(or Atheists) views - in any venue and at any time - is dually protected religious expression., even if you don't like it Forcing Religious beliefs into actual Government policy/law however, is oppressing on someone else's religious freedoms. People who get offended at the mere mention of God are a funny bunch indeed. If you are offended byt a courthouse having commandment printed from a book that you don't believe in, would you be just as offended if they had printed an exert from the latest Harry Potter book instead? Think about it.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:24 AM on j-body.org
bk3k wrote:9/10 for creativity. It was enjoyable to watch.

I can't agree with that nonsense saying don't tolerate anyone different than you. I'm not talking about language, people need to learn the majority language - which is English, but the whole don't tolerate gays, etc talk is retarded.

For the first time reading something you say I completely agree with you. But the section I am quoting you on he doesn't say not to tolerate the different choices of people he is saying not to tolerate the separation of identifying themselves from america. bottom line like you said yourself if you are born and raised in america you are an american period. Quit trying to be something else.
Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:11 AM on j-body.org
I like his costume You yanks have some of the most colorful kooks ever.

However, I didn't get any kind of bigotry from what he said. Quite the opposite, he said that you shouldn't see yourselves as (for example) Gay-Americans, but as simply American, because something as insignificant as what you do with your genitals 3% of the time shouldn't overshadow what you are the other 97% Well, that's how I interpreted it anyway.

It's weird, but I remember being somewhat shocked that the United-States didn't have an official language. In Canada the official language(s) are either French or English, and if you immigrate here and don't know how to speak French in Quebec or English in the rest of Canada, they'll eventually try and kick you out. Well... in theory. I've yet to see it happen, though I know of many businesses that were closed in Quebec because their signs were in Farsi or Turkish instead of French. Say what you will about us Frenchies, but we take a lot less crap than the rest of Canada.

One thing I've always liked about Quebec is that the culture is somewhat uniform and has a long history and tradition rooted in Irish, Catholic and French culture. You don't have that whole "Uh... what are we?" type attitude that you'll find in the rest of Canada where they clutch at straws and hope that Hockey, Mounties and the CN Tower are enough to make them distinctive.

Is it bad that as a Canadian I was whistling "Hail, Columbia" while I was listening?
Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:16 PM on j-body.org
bk3k wrote:Back to the English point, when the Dutch came here, they learned English, when the Germans came here, they learned English, when the Chinese came here, they learned... ENGLISH, and so forth. But when the Hispanics came, they learned... that liberals will tell us that we need to adapt to them, and not the reverse.

Fixed.
Knoxfire wrote:Say what you will about us Frenchies, but we take a lot less crap than the rest of Canada.

Too bad the French actually in France weren't more like that. LOL.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:33 PM on j-body.org
maybe he just had a little bit too much wine. j/k

I say lets all speak indian Cherokee.
Next,
I don't think we are going to lose our culture, in fact other countries are implementing the American culture and life styles. santa claus, rudolph the red-nosed reindeer, snow spray, christmas tree, they celebrate thanks giving, holloween, little kids play with bratz, bobbleheads animals, barbi dolls, hot wheels, they buy Ipods and listen to hip hop, hard rock and China has walmarts they and eat American style hamburgers from Mcdonalds world wide.
In South America, Some Spanish music albums have their tittles written in English and those are No. 1 hit albums.
that is all I can think of right now.
Wednesday, January 28, 2009 4:22 PM on j-body.org
yeah the sad thing is if things keep going it the crapper like they are now we'll have to move to one of the other countries that you speak of to enjoy America culture
Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:29 PM on j-body.org
well, I really do not want to move to China just to get a burger.

To start the revolution and to force people to learn English I came up with the following:
First,
we need to get rid of the “Para espanol press numbero dos” (get rid of that) or
change it to “Para espanol please hang up el telephono”.

Next,
Wal mart and other retail stores should get rid of the “Press here for Spanish” option at the self check out line.

Next,
Get rid of “Se Habla Espanol” signs or get a fine or
change those signs to “Se Habla Ingles” Ingles I think is word for English.

Next,
Get rid of local foreign or unfamiliar language stations or...
change them to AM signal.
Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:52 AM on j-body.org
Quiklilcav wrote:
bk3k wrote:Back to the English point, when the Dutch came here, they learned English, when the Germans came here, they learned English, when the Chinese came here, they learned... ENGLISH, and so forth. But when the Hispanics came, they learned... that liberals will tell us that we need to adapt to them, and not the reverse.

Fixed.

Yhea, you're right Republicans tend to say that.

The guys made some very good points.

But to the folks complaing that all these central Americans need to know English. Pot meet Kettle...You guys are not are much different then them, you are both lazy. From the few countries I've been/visited around the world, this has to be only one the solely uses one languages. You go to Europe, you have people speaking 2-3-4 languages. Go to Africa or Asia they speak minimum of two languages.
I my self speak 3 languages and before I die, I would like to go for 4 maybe 5. Why? I doesn't hurt me at all, besides when I travel, I can communicate properly and learn on other cultures.

Curious to those complaining on English only... How many of you posses a Passport?

THE POLITICALLY INCORRECT ONE.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:17 PM on j-body.org
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:But to the folks complaing that all these central Americans need to know English. Pot meet Kettle...You guys are not are much different then them, you are both lazy. From the few countries I've been/visited around the world, this has to be only one the solely uses one languages. You go to Europe, you have people speaking 2-3-4 languages. Go to Africa or Asia they speak minimum of two languages.
I my self speak 3 languages and before I die, I would like to go for 4 maybe 5. Why? I doesn't hurt me at all, besides when I travel, I can communicate properly and learn on other cultures.

Curious to those complaining on English only... How many of you posses a Passport?

I speak two languages, and I have traveled to Europe on a few occations. However, this country has been an English speaking country for 200 years, and in the past 2-3 decades we've been continually been told that we need to adapt to the imigrants, and I believe this is wrong. I believe we should welcome imigrants (who go through the process of doing it legally), but they should be expected to adapt to the culture they are entering.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:34 PM on j-body.org
I think it all comes down to conservatism and Liberalism

Conservatism is about people who want to preserve the American culture and conserve the English language. To keep traditional values, protect our history and fight to defend our home land from those who want to CHANGE.
Conservatives fear CHANGE

Liberals are more open-minded and a little bit more flexible and tolerant when it comes to different cultures and CHANGE.
Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:04 PM on j-body.org
spoiler wrote:I think it all comes down to conservatism and Liberalism

Conservatism is about people who want to preserve the American culture and conserve the English language. To keep traditional values, protect our history and fight to defend our home land from those who want to CHANGE.
Conservatives fear CHANGE

Liberals are more open-minded and a little bit more flexible and tolerant when it comes to different cultures and CHANGE.

This might be true about some, but that's not really what the difference in conservatism and liberalism is. Where you are confusing is the notion that conservatives don't want change, and are not tollerant. This is not the case. The thing is that we don't believe the laws should change just because they have become inconvenient, or because of a decline in values, and we do not believe that we should change for the people coming here, but that those coming here should adapt to be able to function well in our society. America has always been called the melting pot, because we have been a mix of all cultures, but we have been English speaking. It's because of all the illegals that have been jumping the border for years and just working their way into everything that there has been such an enormous rise over the years of non-English speaking people in the country. At some point, a large group of Americans started feeling some kind of guilt that there were people here that couldn't function in society because most of us didn't speak their language, and started the movement to adapt our country to fit the needs of the imigrants.

Friday, January 30, 2009 2:34 AM on j-body.org
Quiklilcav wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:But to the folks complaing that all these central Americans need to know English. Pot meet Kettle...You guys are not are much different then them, you are both lazy. From the few countries I've been/visited around the world, this has to be only one the solely uses one languages. You go to Europe, you have people speaking 2-3-4 languages. Go to Africa or Asia they speak minimum of two languages.

I speak two languages, and I have traveled to Europe on a few occations. However, this country has been an English speaking country for 200 years, and in the past 2-3 decades we've been continually been told that we need to adapt to the imigrants, and I believe this is wrong. I believe we should welcome imigrants (who go through the process of doing it legally), but they should be expected to adapt to the culture they are entering.

You do know that we, the USA, DO NOT have a official language right?

Friday, January 30, 2009 8:47 AM on j-body.org
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
Quiklilcav wrote:

no but when the vast majority speak english, then they should speak language. Do you know any other country where you can go to and expect to be accomodated in such a way where people need to speak your language?

Friday, January 30, 2009 9:24 AM on j-body.org
Quiklilcav wrote:

Yes, I know that we don't have an official language, but it doesn't change the fact that we have been an english speaking nation since the beginning.

Nice attempt at trying to belittle an argument and appear more educated than I, though. A for effort.

Friday, January 30, 2009 9:57 AM on j-body.org
"Curious to those complaining on English only... How many of you posses a Passport?"

I do, and if I ever go to a country that does not speak English I will make an attempt to have a basic understanding of teh language of the country I am going to. Only reason we do not have English as our official language is because there arnt any politicians with enough balls to push it through legislation.

Friday, January 30, 2009 11:42 AM on j-body.org
mitdr774 wrote:Only reason we do not have English as our official language is because there arnt any politicians with enough balls to push it through legislation.
I know we've had that on the ballot before, and in a highly conservative state at that.

I don't see why people give half a damn what language someone is speaking... If they do not attempt to learn English, it is only an inconvenience to them. If someone asks me something in Spanish (happens a LOT at the junkyard), they just will have to go somewhere else to get an answer, doesn't hurt me.

spoiler wrote:we need to get rid of the “Para espanol press numbero dos” (get rid of that) or
change it to “Para espanol please hang up el telephono”.

Next,
Wal mart and other retail stores should get rid of the “Press here for Spanish” option at the self check out line.

Next,
Get rid of “Se Habla Espanol” signs or get a fine or
change those signs to “Se Habla Ingles” Ingles I think is word for English.

Next,
Get rid of local foreign or unfamiliar language stations or...
change them to AM signal.
There you go, let's start giving businesses (both big and small) MORE restrictions. GO CAPITALISM!!!! If they feel the cost vs. benefit to their business is in favor of supporting Spanish, they have every right to make that decision.

And when you need yardwork done, the guys standing on the street corner are mighty enticing...

11 speaker JL Audio stereo setup for sale:
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/audio/52021/

Friday, January 30, 2009 12:45 PM on j-body.org
You're right, we don't. However that doesn't automatically mean we shouldn't. Most countries do, I don't see why we don't.

Now you think perhaps we should learn a new language to make things easier for in incoming immigrant population, you might be forgetting a few things. First off, not all immigrants come from Latin America or other Spanish speaking countries. People come from all over the world to live here. So which language should we be FORCED to learn, in your estimation? Currently the MAJORITY of immigrants speak Spanish. So if you think that means we should learn Spanish because the that is what would help the majority of immigrants, well I have news for you... the MAJORITY of this country - even when you include all immigrants regardless of legal status - speak English.

Somehow it is better to inconvenience the many into learning Spanish rather than inconveniencing the few into learning English. Can you tell me the logic behind this thinking? If you want to write in down as laziness, I must disagree. People should not be forced to learn an additional language. Don't get me wrong, I think people SHOULD learn additional languages, but not because they must do so, it should be because they want too. I've been learning Japanese for a while for the fun of it, eventually I may take a formal class on it. People should only learn a foreign language because they want to, and those who don't will always be a disadvantage, but that is there choice.

Now for people who are - as you say - "too lazy" to learn English(and I wonder why you consider naturalized Americans lazy for this and not immigrants), well they will be(as they should be) at a severe disadvantage if they don't want to learn English. That is still their choice not to learn it, but I don't feel sorry for them nor will I be accommodating for them if they have no interest in helping themselves join American society. Now someone who is trying to learn English but who is struggling or isn't there yet, I have no issue helping them out.

One other question - What about immigrants who only speak, lets say Korean? What language should they learn? Or do you think they should have to learn 2 languages at once just to function in American society?

Friday, January 30, 2009 12:46 PM on j-body.org
themarin8r wrote:
Quiklilcav wrote:

no but when the vast majority speak english, then they should speak language. Do you know any other country where you can go to and expect to be accomodated in such a way where people need to speak your language?

There are many countries around the world that Engish is not their primary, but made the effort to learn it. Heck, English may be their second or thrird or fourth language.

Quiklilcav wrote:
Quiklilcav wrote:

Yes, I know that we don't have an official language, but it doesn't change the fact that we have been an english speaking nation since the beginning.

Nice attempt at trying to belittle an argument and appear more educated than I, though. A for effort.

You're contradicting your self.
We have been a "generally" English or a "majority" English speaking country, it is not just a English speaking nation... hence no official language. And being on a Native American Indian land, technically we should be talking some dialect of Native American.

Lastly, it is ok to be ignorant on certain areas, I don't expect you to know everything, now that you know, you may think twice before posting that may ridicule you.

mitdr774 wrote:"Curious to those complaining on English only... How many of you posses a Passport?"

I do, and if I ever go to a country that does not speak English I will make an attempt to have a basic understanding of teh language of the country I am going to. Only reason we do not have English as our official language is because there arnt any politicians with enough balls to push it through legislation.

Great, if you ever get it stamped you'll notice that they usually will accommodate you as they made an attempt to learn more than language. I applaud you for getting the basic understanding of their country, that proves that you're not lazy to learn.
As for the politicians... In the beginning or 18th century... Dutch was going to be language spoken here, but English won by a vote or two as the language to be spoken. But in the end, it was not made official.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search