Mixed feelings - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Mixed feelings
Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:41 AM on j-body.org
Last Sunday I was at the gas station. A young black man asked me if I could give his car a jump. I said sure. As I pulled my car up next to him I noticed three different Obama bumper stickers on it. I thought to myself you only voted for him because he is black. I Won't lie I felt a little bitter about it. I was thinking to myself well you would not like it if race were a factor in who I voted for. I get out and I am hooking up the jumper cables and I notice he has a brand new battery in it.

While we are standing there giving it a second to charge I say here hop in my car it is nice and warm. It was just after dark and the temp was like negative something with a windchill. He seemed shocked I offered as if he were expecting to stand outside while I hopped back in my warm car. This is when he motioned to his buddy who was curled up trying to keep warm in their cold car. His buddy pops out wearing an Obama ballcap. I thought to myself you have got to be kidding. As we all hop in my car the thought crossed my mind to ask nicely why they were such big Obama supporters. I decided instantly not to as it was not the time nor the place. They had bigger problems at the moment with their car.

So I ask about the battery which was brand new. He tells me it is his moms car and that she noticed it was cranking over real slow. He said since he really does not know much about cars he figured the battery might need replaced since the cold was taking its toll on the old battery. He told me he did not want his mom to be stranded in the cold so he put a new battery in it. So me just being the nice guy I am I hop out to make sure his battery cables are tight and the cables and terminals are not corroded. Everything was good. So he goes to start it and nothing. I double check the jumper cables making sure they are making a good connection at both ends. I hop back in and explain to him what all I did. A few minuted later it start and and they both thanked me numerous times. I told them I did not mind one bit as I was only helping them as others had helped me. It is that treat others as you yourself would want to be treated golden rule.

As I left I started thinking maybe a black president (not really Obama himself or his views) was what america needed. I thought even if they voted for him mainly based on race atleast it made them take intrest in politics. They may not have been very informed this time around but maybe they will delve into it more and be more informed next time around. I thought it is a great thing that young black men can aspire to be president and truly see it being possible. I think most politicians are weasels but I like the thought of a kid wanting to be president when he is older rmuch better than wanting to be 50cent and other rappers.

If that is what it takes for them to feel more accepted in america or view america in a more positive light then maybe it is a good thing. I think it is important that all americans view themselves as americans and have a country they can feel proud to call home. I thought maybe it will help ease the ratial tension that exists BOTH ways.

Anyway I am glad I did not even begin to talk politics with them. I think my actions spoke louder than anything I could have said. I know many white people who voted for Obama as a way to show how non racist they are or becuase they thought it would bring about unity among the races in america. Maybe they were right, maybe it will. I did not vote for him and I don't regret it. I feel my simple act of kindness went much further towards unity.

I have been looking for the good in Obama being elected ever since election day. I don't want to be that guy who is bitter about it. Before this experience the only thing I took comfort in was knowing Obama does mean well. The road to hell is paved with good intentions so this was not very comforting. I am sure he wants to be remembered not as the first black but as one of the best presidents.

Thanks to anyone who read all this. I usually don't pour my heart out on the internet.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Re: Mixed feelings
Thursday, January 29, 2009 11:31 AM on j-body.org
Well i have to say a good deed is always good no matter who you are helping out in the time of need.

A few other comments, try not to make assumptions on how people decided to vote Obama you'd be surprise how people actually know something. I have learned in my experiences to make sure you know your audience before talking about something controversial (politics in general), it was a good thinking to not pop the question you may have thought.

I know from education and many political discussion, you want to get as many opinions and ask everybody every question about everything you think you know about. Yet sometimes it just better not to ask.

I come from an area that i really don't see color or race. It just isn't a thought of mine, people are people I don't care what color you are or what you believe.

If Obama does good he does good because he was a good president; if he does bad then he does bad as a bad president- skin color has nothing do to with it.
Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:11 PM on j-body.org
Kudos for being the good samaritan, all other things aside. Regardless of race, stopping to help anyone these days makes most people at least think twice, nevermind if it's at night.

While I don't think it's a good thing to have a president who's policies I strongly disagree with, just because it might help break down barriers or get more people involved, I understand where you are coming from with that.

But again, good job at doing the right thing regardless. I have always believed that you should still do the right thing by people, even if you were to have the discussion and disagreed with them. It's one thing to disagree with someone, it's another to use that as a basis for your decision to offer help or not.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:13 PM on j-body.org
there were people that voted for Obama just becasue he is black. but it swings the other too. there were people who voted for McCain just because he was white

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:21 PM on j-body.org
Wade Jarvis wrote:They may not have been very informed this time around but maybe they will delve into it more and be more informed next time around. I thought it is a great thing that young black men can aspire to be president and truly see it being possible. I think most politicians are weasels but I like the thought of a kid wanting to be president when he is older rmuch better than wanting to be 50cent and other rappers.

X2
There is no more I can't be president because I'm black, I can't do something about myself because I'm black, I can't be a doctor because I'm black, I can't become a lawyer because I'm black. I'm glad that's over. he also comes from a broken home so you can't say I can't get myself ahead because my mom and dad wasn't there.
Friday, January 30, 2009 2:18 AM on j-body.org
do i really need to point out how ignorant the original post comes across? just because they happen to be black doesnt mean that they are wanna be rappers who voted blindly for obama. and who is to say that they didnt already feel accepted or didnt already view america in a positive light?

im sure you meant everything politely and w/o connotations, but it sounds like youre rolling deep in racial stereotypes.

Friday, January 30, 2009 2:29 AM on j-body.org
(tabs) wrote:do i really need to point out how ignorant the original post comes across? just because they happen to be black doesnt mean that they are wanna be rappers who voted blindly for obama. and who is to say that they didnt already feel accepted or didnt already view america in a positive light?

im sure you meant everything politely and w/o connotations, but it sounds like youre rolling deep in racial stereotypes.

Agreed.

THE POLITICALLY INCORRECT ONE.

Friday, January 30, 2009 6:06 AM on j-body.org
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
(tabs) wrote:do i really need to point out how ignorant the original post comes across? just because they happen to be black doesnt mean that they are wanna be rappers who voted blindly for obama. and who is to say that they didnt already feel accepted or didnt already view america in a positive light?

Agreed.

I can see where you could get that. At first in my mind I accused them of it. By the time I left I had come to my senses. I did not leave thinking they were guilty of my stereotype.

I tried to use words such as "if" "maybe" "may" ect. at the end to get the point accross that I will never know what they know or how they feel. I did not want to sound as if I knew they infact were guilty of my stereotypes. That would be ignorant! My point was that even "IF" they were something positive may come of it.

Friday, January 30, 2009 8:45 AM on j-body.org
You remind me of my roommate whom everytime that Obama is mentioned has to say something, or question why so and so voted for him etc, but the big difference is, you may actually finally be letting that go and just letting it be. Its already done, the guy has been voted in, sworn in, and asking people why they voted for him is pointless, and perhaps you have realized that and are looking at it in the best possible light you can. I understand that your rapper comparison is just an example, as perhaps the "good role models" for black males are few and far between and that Obama perhaps fills a big part of this hole for them. Im not gonna take a shot at the possible racial tendencies, or what other people may think, you may or may not have as i feel your actions really dispute that claim as i know many people who would not have helped those gentleman in the same situation.

Friday, January 30, 2009 9:39 AM on j-body.org
themarin8r wrote:You remind me of my roommate whom everytime that Obama is mentioned has to say something, or question why so and so voted for him etc, but the big difference is, you may actually finally be letting that go and just letting it be. Its already done, the guy has been voted in, sworn in, and asking people why they voted for him is pointless, and perhaps you have realized that and are looking at it in the best possible light you can. I understand that your rapper comparison is just an example, as perhaps the "good role models" for black males are few and far between and that Obama perhaps fills a big part of this hole for them. Im not gonna take a shot at the possible racial tendencies, or what other people may think, you may or may not have as i feel your actions really dispute that claim as i know many people who would not have helped those gentleman in the same situation.

You are right on. Thanks for not assuming the worst about me. I am being totally honest when I say.

Wade Jarvis wrote:
I have been looking for the good in Obama being elected ever since election day. I don't want to be that guy who is bitter about it. Before this experience the only thing I took comfort in was knowing Obama does mean well. The road to hell is paved with good intentions so this was not very comforting. I am sure he wants to be remembered not as the first black but as one of the best presidents.

Thanks to anyone who read all this. I usually don't pour my heart out on the internet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, January 30, 2009 9:40 AM

Friday, January 30, 2009 10:12 AM on j-body.org
I don't care what color the president is. It's the tax and overspend I am very worried about. And I too am trying very hard to be positive about the future, hope and change you know? And I was one of the most staunch republican supporters. Guess we'll have to see how things go. There is a lot of strong opinion out there on both sides. Funny how little things can sometimes give us a new perspective and good for you for helping out.

Labrat

Friday, January 30, 2009 8:00 PM on j-body.org
Unfortunately I have to say that I can see he was not trying to be racist but the "stereotypes" people like to think aren't real are. I live in a heavily black town and there is quite enough basis for these things.

I am not trying to start a fight but people need to stop being worried they are going to offend someone. Sorry a lot of blacks want to be rappers that is the biggest role model they have. It happens realize it and try maybe to change it but don't hide from it.

The proper way of using the word seen. It is not I seen it that would be I saw it. He has seen the car is the right way to use the word. English class is Cool. By the way thats my sig
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search