Why is February Black History month? - Page 3 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Why is February Black History month?
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 11:49 AM on j-body.org
Oh yeah, one more thing - the high school I went to was lily-white when I attended and we were still taught about Blacks in American history. And this was way before Black History Month.

“Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism. Nobody gets in life exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard, and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.” Conan O'Brien

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 12:45 PM on j-body.org
J03Y Esquire wrote:
Jesse 02 wrote:
LiTCaV (The Bright One) wrote:

2. White men fought along side black men in the Civil war against the south and there slavery liking ways. Simple pictures and paintings from this era will reveal this, very simple. The end result both white and black lives were lost...but a greater good was gained.

If thats what you think the civil war was fought over you need to study your history alittle bit more. It was accutally fought over money, the north was trying to ride on the souths backs. Because they were the ones growing all the crops that were being exported. Everyone tries to say thats all it was fought over was slavery, but thats just wrong. Anyone that has every studied out the civil war knows that.

money is hardly the only reason the civil war was fought. A significant reason....yes. The only reason...no.

you got me with last one I meant to say mainly over money there were other reasons but the slavery thing had very little if any to do with the situation
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 1:11 PM on j-body.org
cannon fodder wrote:so we should just forget the past?

what happens when we get rid of black history month? years from now our children, and their children after, might not be taught about african american history, slavery, etc and not have any appreciation for how far we have progressed from the attrocities that we as a nation have gone through.

but hey, maybe ignorance truely is bliss. maybe if people grow up not knowing that blacks were once slaves and considered to be less than human they won't have that concept in their head to start with and won't figure it out for themselves. doubt that will ever happen though.

No its called teaching. I learned about all that stuff in HISTORY class. Even on the months not named February. Its a requirement in well atleast Ohio to take American and World History I & II freshman and sophomore year and if your teacher didnt cover slavery then they should be straight fired. We really don't do anything special for Black History Month. How would they not teach about slavery in American History? Sure lets just drop 170 yrs of history 1700 to 1870 and nothing in between. Right.

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 1:42 PM on j-body.org
Jesse 02 wrote:
J03Y Esquire wrote:
Jesse 02 wrote:

2. White men fought along side black men in the Civil war against the south and there slavery liking ways. Simple pictures and paintings from this era will reveal this, very simple. The end result both white and black lives were lost...but a greater good was gained.

If thats what you think the civil war was fought over you need to study your history alittle bit more. It was accutally fought over money, the north was trying to ride on the souths backs. Because they were the ones growing all the crops that were being exported. Everyone tries to say thats all it was fought over was slavery, but thats just wrong. Anyone that has every studied out the civil war knows that.

money is hardly the only reason the civil war was fought. A significant reason....yes. The only reason...no.

you got me with last one I meant to say mainly over money there were other reasons but the slavery thing had very little if any to do with the situation

Slavery very much had a significant role in the civil war. To say it had little or no impact is rediculous.

Quote:

In the presidential election of 1860, the Republican Party, led by Abraham Lincoln, had campaigned against the expansion of slavery beyond the states in which it already existed. The Republican victory in that election resulted in seven Southern states declaring their secession from the Union even before Lincoln took office on March 4, 1861. Both the outgoing and incoming U.S. administrations rejected secession, regarding it as rebellion.

In September 1862, Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation made ending slavery in the South a war goal, and dissuaded the British from intervening.

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 1:50 PM on j-body.org
J03Y Esquire wrote:
Jesse 02 wrote:
J03Y Esquire wrote:
Jesse 02 wrote:

Slavery very much had a significant role in the civil war. To say it had little or no impact is rediculous.

Quote:

In the presidential election of 1860, the Republican Party, led by Abraham Lincoln, had campaigned against the expansion of slavery beyond the states in which it already existed. The Republican victory in that election resulted in seven Southern states declaring their secession from the Union even before Lincoln took office on March 4, 1861. Both the outgoing and incoming U.S. administrations rejected secession, regarding it as rebellion.

In September 1862, Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation made ending slavery in the South a war goal, and dissuaded the British from intervening.

Well put Joe. Jesse02, my example was not to be taken as a 100% correct interpretation of the civil war. I was more or less a small example of how not only BlACK, but also WHITE men have laid there lives down for an eqaul and better cause.

" Aint nothin' but a Peanut!"
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 1:52 PM on j-body.org
TheSundownFire wrote:

what happens when we get rid of black history month? years from now our children, and their children after, might not be taught about african american history, slavery, etc and not have any appreciation for how far we have progressed from the attrocities that we as a nation have gone through.

but hey, maybe ignorance truely is bliss. maybe if people grow up not knowing that blacks were once slaves and considered to be less than human they won't have that concept in their head to start with and won't figure it out for themselves. doubt that will ever happen though.

No its called teaching. I learned about all that stuff in HISTORY class. Even on the months not named February. Its a requirement in well atleast Ohio to take American and World History I & II freshman and sophomore year and if your teacher didnt cover slavery then they should be straight fired. We really don't do anything special for Black History Month. How would they not teach about slavery in American History? Sure lets just drop 170 yrs of history 1700 to 1870 and nothing in between. Right.

black history month is allot more then slavery. its about the great influential black people who helped make the country what it was. its not just about slavery, maybe your teacher should be fired.

most kids school books are so old in allot of schools that you may have learned about 2 or 3 black people when i went to school. that was the whole reason for the start of black history month/week was the fact that most kids books hardly mentioned a black person in it. as text books get better black history month will be less and less needed.

there are so many tv channels and groups and clubs geared towards white people i just dont see the need to whine and bitch about a bet channel. isit really that big a deal?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 8:45 PM on j-body.org
sndsgood wrote:
TheSundownFire wrote:

black history month is allot more then slavery. its about the great influential black people who helped make the country what it was. its not just about slavery, maybe your teacher should be fired.

most kids school books are so old in allot of schools that you may have learned about 2 or 3 black people when i went to school. that was the whole reason for the start of black history month/week was the fact that most kids books hardly mentioned a black person in it. as text books get better black history month will be less and less needed.

there are so many tv channels and groups and clubs geared towards white people i just dont see the need to whine and bitch about a bet channel. isit really that big a deal?

Maybe its changed since you were in school. Now there's entire sections with the Civil Rights movement, the Underground Railroad, African-American Innovators etc. Atleast thats what I studied.

And I have never done a damn thing with Black History Month at my school. At all. By the time children are old enough to understand the roots of the Civil Rights movement and slavery and grasp the horrible atrocities commited, they already have a preconcieved notion of other races so no special month for Black people will cure racism. No class will. Its ingrained in children from their parents cussing black people and wearing white hoods or showing tolerance and acceptance. Black History Month isn't going to change the mind of Bob John whos parents are related and has a Swastika on his neck and a KKK uniform in his closet. Hes going to continue hating blacks and any other minority he feels fit. Just because his parents were the same way. I'm going to assume his school teacher wasn't flashing Nazi and KKK paraphenalia in class.

Thursday, February 05, 2009 11:30 AM on j-body.org
black history month isn't about turning racist into color loving people. not every school is the same, there are some kids schools that are using books that were written a few years ago and other schools use books that were made 30-40 years ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, February 05, 2009 12:57 PM on j-body.org
Ive also been lucky to have amazing teachers who know what theyre talking about. Im just saying that it doesn't seem to prove any point by having a special month for blacks. Besides that we are still overly hung up on things thta have been pretty much solved. We have a black president for Christ sake. If that doesnt prove weve moved past large scale racial bias then what does? There arent lynchings anymore there arent people picking cotton against their will. Blacks have gotten almost total equality in America today with the exception of a few buased people who discriminate. And to me thats what the point of the month was at in inception but it just seems to be a tired idea at this point.

Saturday, February 07, 2009 6:26 AM on j-body.org
i have a feeling it will eventulally fall out of favor as books and education catches up. but that will only happen when the mexicans start complaing about a lack of mexican history month, then the blacks will take a step up and the mexicans will fill in their place.

Saturday, February 07, 2009 8:12 AM on j-body.org
LOL, what will that have in it? First person to out run a boarder patrol officer?

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Sunday, February 08, 2009 6:47 PM on j-body.org
Some group will always be a scapegoat for everything wrong in our country. Doesnt matter if they deserve it or not. We feel the need to blame someone for our problems besides ourselves.

Sunday, February 08, 2009 7:05 PM on j-body.org
How is it our fault that the hogies wanted to fly planes in to buildings?

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Sunday, February 08, 2009 8:24 PM on j-body.org
I said that?

Thats not exactly what I was getting at........... But sure try to make me look stupid.

Lets start at the inception of the country and list the scapegoats for everything.

1700's - First the Indians because they were heathen savages and were trying to destroy us. Then the Britsh because they we horrible right smothering bastards. Everything they did was blown out of proportion to emphaszie the point to colonists.
1800's - The Chinese, Blacks, and Southerners. The Chinese and other Asians stole work from US workers on the railroads in the west because they worked for less (sound familiar?). We even went as far as to limit their immigration into the country. Then the Confederates. They were trying to destroy our country because we wouldnt let them continue their way of life which was wrong to those in the North and they symbolized the worst of greed and consumption. Then the blacks because they were uneducated and second class citizens who were horrible and didn;t deserve equal treatment and they were the reason our country fought against itself.
1900's - Germans, Communists, Japanese and Germans, Communists against, then blacks again. The Germans were evil and were trying to take over the world and if we convince you of that then we can continue to fight and draft and have your support. The communists were the symbol of evil twice because they were the opposite of our great system of economics even though many were peaceable they were characterized as the complete opposite. The Japanese and Germans, even though the Japanese scapegoat was deserved as was the Nazi, were shown to us in the worst possible light to keep support strong on the home front. Then the blacks again because they were trying to get equal rights and this was going to cause the end of out country as we know it.
2000's - Arabs and Mexicans. The Arab person was shown to us as a fundamentalist terror that wanted to destroy us. Even though most Arabs are not this way. In a sense one spoiled it for the many. It was to our advantage to make them appear negative in order to support the war and Homeland Security. And finally Meixcans. Well they are now the butt of jokes just as were blacks. They single handidly caused unemployment and out poor economy right? They sneak into our country and work in fields for $2 an hour. But this is shown to us as an epidemic thats ruining our country. Would any of you gladly work in a field picking fruits and vegetables for even minimum wage?

In pretty much all of the cases there is a large amount of perception bending in order to sway public opinion to support or disapprove of this or that. Its a crapshoot.

/rant

Monday, February 09, 2009 4:35 AM on j-body.org
Minimum wage, when you have no education, skills, or hell, a SSN, Is good money. And after all, They are the ones wanting to come here. Its good enough to risk getting killed for.

Fact
Most, if not all, of societies "Misconceptions" are based in reality.

I am all for making jokes of EVERYONE, Niggers, Gringos, wetbacks, Spics, Wapps, Toejoe, hogies, polelocks, indans (yes, the ones that were here first, not the politically correct name),(who did i leave out?)

Then, we can all pretend we are equal.

Chris

Monday, February 09, 2009 12:41 PM on j-body.org
I have nothing against jokes. Personally some are funny as hell. I just think that the basis of reality you are trying to say is based off a stereotype. Ya some black people like fried chicken and watermeleon but there are some that hate it.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 11:48 AM on j-body.org
TheSundownFire wrote:but there are some that hate it.
[citation needed]

Black history month is rediculous (since it requires months for every other factor as well), but it's not hurting me, so I don't care.
And yes, black history is taught throughout high school, year-round. I don't rememeber February being any different than any other month.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster

***BREAKING NEWS*** notec's steps to a brighter American future:
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=36&i=58477&t=58099#58477

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 7:02 PM on j-body.org
Im working on an experiment to prove .

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:53 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Black History Month revisited -- neither color-biased nor color-blind: Phillip Morris

by Phillip Morris/Plain Dealer Columnist

"I will now obituarize myself."

"I will cast flowers on my own grave before I am dead. I will tell people how good I [was], in case nobody else has the same feeling."

Those are the words of Jesse B. Simple, the fictional drinking companion of Harlem Renaissance giant Langston Hughes. Hughes created Simple as a literary device to tell stories. Simple was fixated on religion, women and alcohol. He also wrestled mightily with issues involving fairness, language and black history.

J.B. was often misunderstood and misappropriated, which bothered Hughes. That's why Hughes allowed Simple to draft his own obituary.

Last Tuesday, I wrote a column suggesting that it was time to think about pulling the plug on Black History month. It received considerable reaction, much of it pleasant and thoughtful.

But it was also misappropriated by some.

There is no black American history, just as there is no white American history or Mexican American history. American History is American history. It's time that we stop coloring it and racially canonizing it.

Black history (let's get used to just calling it history) should be studied and celebrated contextually 12 months out of the year - not just in February.

There were two visceral types of reactions to my column worth noting. They weren't so pleasant.

The first was expected: You Uncle Tom!

I've heard it before. This reaction gets no traction with me. It is generally the reflexive response of those who find my thought process to be that of a miseducated, self-loathing Negro.

One reader reduced me to a "chicken-and-biscuit-eating" black man, which instantly put me in the mind of Jesse B. Simple. The reader misconstrued me. But he's harmless. Just keep him away from chickens.

But the other reaction annoyed me. It was the response of "thought leaders," mostly Caucasians, who routinely shop for black Americans to advance their racial agendas.

They misappropriated me.

These people can often be found stalking or hosting AM talk radio. I received several calls from around the country to go on the air to discuss my column. But after listening to a few of these talk radio hosts (or their callers) I realized that they were actually looking for a black man to use as a blunt tool to hammer home their disdain for black Americans.

These talkers missed my point.

I don't want less black history scholarship. I want more. Just don't call it black history. Don't confine it to February.

This is the crux of the matter: How will America identify itself in the coming years?

Many argue that America's greatest strength is its freedom and diversity. If that's true, then it's time we perfect the embrace of the diversity by studying it intensely and understanding its historical and contemporary connectives.

Our global standing and our children's fortunes depend on it.

Perhaps it's time that we choose a month for reflection and simply call it, "Thank God I'm an American" month.

Let's stop squeezing our past into convenient historical ghettos.

It's that simple.

smart man

“Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism. Nobody gets in life exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard, and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.” Conan O'Brien

Thursday, February 19, 2009 6:49 PM on j-body.org
i know im new here but not new to the forum. ive been reading and not registered for the past couple of years. all i got to say about this post is that i dont care what color you are, a55holes come in every color. i for one am extremely tired of black history month. like said before where is white history month?? its sad that the reason is due to reverse racism. african americans in my view are the most extreme racists. god forbid someone to say a black joke, jew joke, asian joke or what have you. but as SOON as a white person says anytype of racist joke, boom, they're a racists, or THE MAN is always holding someone down. well now that osama is in office, i mean obama. it shows that we are no longer racist. but still we are the bad guy. what does the african american race want?? they live in a great country getting all the breaks in the book. where is my break?? i once read a brochure pretty much stating that the company will hire based on "equal opportunity and affirmative action". this only tells me that the "white man" aka the man is getting sh1t on. just a little fyi, white male american is now the number 1 minority in america. where is my college fund, or tax break. im still hearing all this racist crap when there is really only one or two races that to this day play therace card and the biggest one is the africa american race. well now we have an african american in office so now i can say "THE MAN IS HOLDONG ME DOWN"!!! peace out, i dont care what anyone has to say so see ya

dont drink the water....

people pee in it
Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:11 PM on j-body.org
yo mama wrote:i know im new here but not new to the forum. ive been reading and not registered for the past couple of years. all i got to say about this post is that i dont care what color you are, a55holes come in every color. i for one am extremely tired of black history month. like said before where is white history month?? its sad that the reason is due to reverse racism. african americans in my view are the most extreme racists. god forbid someone to say a black joke, jew joke, asian joke or what have you. but as SOON as a white person says anytype of racist joke, boom, they're a racists, or THE MAN is always holding someone down. well now that osama is in office, i mean obama. it shows that we are no longer racist. but still we are the bad guy. what does the african american race want?? they live in a great country getting all the breaks in the book. where is my break?? i once read a brochure pretty much stating that the company will hire based on "equal opportunity and affirmative action". this only tells me that the "white man" aka the man is getting sh1t on. just a little fyi, white male american is now the number 1 minority in america. where is my college fund, or tax break. im still hearing all this racist crap when there is really only one or two races that to this day play therace card and the biggest one is the africa american race. well now we have an african american in office so now i can say "THE MAN IS HOLDONG ME DOWN"!!! peace out, i dont care what anyone has to say so see ya

I do agree with the reverse racism. Even though I am a cracker.

And saying "equal opportunity ad affirmative action" is kind of an oxymoron. If you hired on equal opportunity then EVERYONE would have an equal opportunity but by saying Affirmative Action it is implied that they hired ethnics over white which is not equal.

Friday, February 20, 2009 8:59 AM on j-body.org
its a dumb idea and the idea alone is racist itself, theres more people here than just one ethnic background

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, February 20, 2009 9:07 AM on j-body.org
TheSundownFire wrote:

I do agree with the reverse racism. Even though I am a cracker.

Proud CRACKER here, too.

Friday, February 20, 2009 6:59 PM on j-body.org
White mother @!#$ honkey!

I giggled when I got called that.

More so, when a large black man, a good friend of mine, decked the other large black man that called me that.

Good times.

Chris

Saturday, February 28, 2009 12:46 AM on j-body.org
Everyone who is all upset about it, I really hope a BLACK man gets your daughters pregnant in the future. That way you can celebrate the month with your grandchild and son-in-law and you will be happy because you are no longer left out.

If you don't like it, OH WELL. You could always bitch and moan about it on the .org, that always helps.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search