Flood Comparison with Human Demographics. - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Flood Comparison with Human Demographics.
Friday, April 03, 2009 7:41 PM on j-body.org
Take this for Face Value.

Like it or not, its FACT.

Quote:

IOWA FLOODS

Where are the Hollywood celebrities holding telethons asking for help in restoring Iowa and helping the folks affected by the floods? Where is good old Michael Moore?

Why is the media NOT asking the tough questions about why the federal government hasn't solved this problem?
...Asking where the FEMA trucks and trailers and food

services are?

Why isn't the Federal government moving Iowa people
into free hotels in Chicago and Minneapolis ?

When will Spike Lee say that the Federal government
blew up the levees that failed in Des Moines ?

Where are Sean Penn, Bono, and the Dixie Chicks?

Where are all the looters stealing high-end tennis shoes, cases of beer and television sets?

When will we hear Governor Chet Culver say that he wants
to rebuild a 'vanilla' Iowa .. because that's what God wants?

Where is the hysterical 24/7 media coverage complete
with reports of shootings at rescuers, of rapes and murder?

Where are all the people screaming that George Bush hates
white, rural people? My God, where are Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, Oprah, and Ray Coniff Jr?

How come you will never hear about the
Iowa flooding ever again? Where are the government bail out vouchers? The government debit cards?

There must be one hell of a big difference between the value of the people of Iowa and value of the the people of Louisiana . Pass this unedited, un-doctored, factual information forward ..... to get Americans thinking.

Just something to consider.

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Re: Flood Comparison with Human Demographics.
Friday, April 03, 2009 7:53 PM on j-body.org

“Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism. Nobody gets in life exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard, and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.” Conan O'Brien

Friday, April 03, 2009 8:21 PM on j-body.org
where's the pictures?

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Friday, April 03, 2009 8:48 PM on j-body.org
I would like to see the pictures that go with. Living in Des Moines IA this hits home with me.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Saturday, April 04, 2009 5:58 AM on j-body.org
You didn't hear the report on Obama's statements about Iowa last week? He pretty much said "you people need to be vigilant in watching the waters and staying on top of it.", and the media (of course) reported how great he was handling it. Yay for more media suck ups kissing his ass. After the way they slaughtered Bush for Katrina (who actually did act on it, didn't just say "hang in there people"), this is one of the best examples so far of the disparity between coverage of administrations. Nothing new, though.

Saturday, April 04, 2009 7:39 AM on j-body.org
FReQ GTO eSquIRE wrote:where's the pictures?
Couldn't have said it better.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Saturday, April 04, 2009 3:10 PM on j-body.org
Damn, Worked for me... I will Email it, Can some one please host it?

Thanks!

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Saturday, April 04, 2009 4:17 PM on j-body.org
Quiklilcav wrote:You didn't hear the report on Obama's statements about Iowa last week? He pretty much said "you people need to be vigilant in watching the waters and staying on top of it.", and the media (of course) reported how great he was handling it. Yay for more media suck ups kissing his ass. After the way they slaughtered Bush for Katrina (who actually did act on it, didn't just say "hang in there people"), this is one of the best examples so far of the disparity between coverage of administrations. Nothing new, though.

OR, it is REVERSE RACISM.

Just throwing it out there.

Chris

Saturday, April 04, 2009 4:53 PM on j-body.org
Here ya go:
Quote:

IOWA FLOODS

Where are the Hollywood celebrities holding telethons asking for help in restoring Iowa and helping the folks affected by the floods? Where is good old Michael Moore?

Why is the media NOT asking the tough questions about why the federal government hasn't solved this problem?
...Asking where the FEMA trucks and trailers and food

services are?

Why isn't the Federal government moving Iowa people
into free hotels in Chicago and Minneapolis ?

When will Spike Lee say that the Federal government
blew up the levees that failed in Des Moines ?

Where are Sean Penn, Bono, and the Dixie Chicks?

Where are all the looters stealing high-end tennis shoes, cases of beer and television sets?

When will we hear Governor Chet Culver say that he wants
to rebuild a 'vanilla' Iowa .. because that's what God wants?

Where is the hysterical 24/7 media coverage complete
with reports of shootings at rescuers, of rapes and murder?

Where are all the people screaming that George Bush hates
white, rural people? My God, where are Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, Oprah, and Ray Coniff Jr?

How come you will never hear about the
Iowa flooding ever again? Where are the government bail out vouchers? The government debit cards?

There must be one hell of a big difference between the value of the people of Iowa and value of the the people of Louisiana .

Pass this unedited, un-doctored, factual information forward ..... to get Americans thinking.

Saturday, April 04, 2009 7:19 PM on j-body.org
Saturday, April 04, 2009 8:35 PM on j-body.org
I think that anyone who pigheadedly insists on living in a flood area should be uninsurable. End of story. If you're too stupid to protect yourself, don't ask me, the army or the government to come hold your hand while you watch your house be washed downstream for the ninth time.

The problems that smart people had with the New Orleans flood had more to do with the cheap levees that seemed to never have been maintained than with the Bush administration. Iowa, on the other hand, floods all the damn time even with it's levees working correctly.

Either way though, you're right that the response by the government is more or less the same in both cases. Yet the press played it differently in both cases. The problem is simply that the press is sensationalistic, not liberal. They don't give a damn about party affiliation, but about how they can spin the best yarn with the material they have. Living in Canada, it's almost shocking to see how your news spends about 10% of it's time reporting and 90% trying to whip up frenzies of fear. When it rains here, our guys say "It's going to rain tomorrow." they don't say "A intense shower activity will occur tomorrow. So please (dramatic pause) if you have to go out, be careful."

Oh for gawwwwwwwwwwwwwwd's sake. Turn on your wipers, wear a hat and GET OUT THERE you sissy pr!cks!

Your press has a serious problem, but it's not that it loves Obama or that it's liberal. That's just something you're saying because you think liberalism is always bad in every circumstance. No, the problem is something much more malignant. Namely, that the press doesn't seem interested in news or facts anymore but in ratings, and once it does that it ceases to be a trustworthy source.

Or let me put it to you this way. I read "The Onion" a lot, which is a parody of real news sites. However, it also has links to real news stories at the bottom of the page, but more often than not I accidently click on them thinking they're gag stories simply because the titles are so out there and extreme. That's how low your news people have sunk.

Saturday, April 04, 2009 11:49 PM on j-body.org
You guys are morons. Seriously f'n morons. I found this response to some other moron who asked the same stupid questions on Yahoo Answers, and I'm just going to repost it because it's great :

--

The two events are not even apples and oranges.

People in Iowa can "evacuate" by walking about 2 blocks from the river. They are NOT trapped by miles & miles of deep water and trying to survive in apocalyptic conditions while completely cut off from the outside world for a week or more.

The flooding in the midwest is NOT nearly as bad. Katrina was the worst natural disaster to ever strike the USA, while the midwest flooding is a medium-small disaster like last year's California fires. The power of TV is to focus on a relatively small area and make the viewer believe everywhere is like that.

Realize that news media reports of civil disorder in New Orleans were grossly exaggerated. For example, there were "reports" of violence inside the Superdome at the time In reality, there were NO murders in the Dome, NO babies were raped, and there were NO gun battles (all were high-profile news stories at the time). The same was true at the Convention Center. There was plenty of bad news to go around and I don't know why the media felt a need to make it up.

Much of the "looting" in New Orleans was within the law, but the media chose to only broadcast video of people stealing things like TVs. The media even chose to misrepresent video of some legal "looting", such as the incident with two female police officers who were loading items into shopping carts at Wal-Mart. In reality, they were at Wal-Mart on orders to commander supplies for the young children at the Convention Center (the baskets were filled with diapers, wet-wipes, toys, baby clothes, and baby food). The MEDIA said they were "looting" and the world believed it.

As answers to other "questions" comparing Iowa now with Katrina point out, a Black man in New Orleans who broke into a store to get food & supplies was "looting", but a White man who does the same thing in Iowa today is "feeding his family". That crap usually includes racist commentary and other BS about how much more "self-sufficient" people in the midwest are when compared with us "deviants" (from another "answer) in New Orleans. Get a life.

Also, your question assumes some of the usual myths about New Orleans and Katrina.

Reality was
- Katrina was forecast to go elsewhere until about 60 hours before landfall
- A comprehensive state of emergency was decalred on August 26, 2005 and the evacuation order was given on the 27th. Katrina struck during the early morning of the 29th.
- The evacuation of New Orleans was a stunning success and more than 90% of the metro areas 1,400,000 population was able to leave with less than 2 days notice. About half of those who could not or did not evacuate went to the Superdome, which was the desiganted shleter. Emergency management experts believed it was impossible to evacuate or shelter more than 95% of a metro area that large in less than 96 hours, but New Orleans did it in less than 48 hours.
Source(s):
New Orleans resident

---

Saturday, April 04, 2009 11:53 PM on j-body.org
and why oh why would it be the Federal Goverment's job to do the states?

The people who live there PAY for THERE OWN insurance... UNLIKE the have-nots down south, that still got a cheek card, and shot at the people handing out food.

GET THIS.

I was involved in the Hurricane Katrina Evacuation.

Chris

Sunday, April 05, 2009 12:09 AM on j-body.org
So you helped in the evacuation, and that gives you the right to make uneducated statements and be an a$sole? Wow.

---

Sunday, April 05, 2009 12:11 AM on j-body.org
Is it not

TRUE?

Chris

Sunday, April 05, 2009 12:13 AM on j-body.org
Oh and to add to your ignorance about carrying flood insurance:

"A combination of costs and confusion keeps many Iowans from buying federal flood insurance.

Only about 1 percent of Iowans owned flood insurance when last month's record flooding struck.

More than 4,000 homes in Cedar Rapids were damaged or destroyed, but only 777 homes in Linn county were protected against flooding.

After the floods of 1993, the National Flood Insurance Program spent $20 million in a marketing campaign that urged homeowners to buy flood insurance. Nonetheless, few people carry the coverage. "

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/midwest/2008/07/09/91719.htm

---

Sunday, April 05, 2009 12:14 AM on j-body.org
So the feds will be handing out food and debit cards for them,

Fair is Fair yes?

Chris

Sunday, April 05, 2009 12:15 AM on j-body.org
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:Is it not

TRUE?

Chris

Turns out it wasn't!! DOH!! Sorry, try again.

---

Sunday, April 05, 2009 12:18 AM on j-body.org
And did you even read what I posted? Or did you just skim through it in a further attempt at willful ignorance?

---

Sunday, April 05, 2009 12:19 AM on j-body.org
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:So the feds will be handing out food and debit cards for them,

Fair is Fair yes?

Chris

Already did....

Chris

Sunday, April 05, 2009 12:29 AM on j-body.org
Here's another comparison. http://www.flood2008.iowa.gov/ says:

"This “500 year flood” displaced 40,000 Iowans and disrupted the lives of so many of our fellow citizens. "

How's that for apples vs oranges. 40k vs 1.4 million. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.

Here's what else the federal government did, and wow, it really sounds like what they did for those no good people in NO!

Quote:

Federal Activities on Sunday, June 15, 2008 include:

* Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
o FEMA Logistics has deployed more than 1.9 million liters of water, 191,000 meals, more than 200 generators, and other supplies to the regions.
o FEMA Region V's Emergency Response Team (ERT) has been deployed to Rock Island, IL.
o FEMA is accepting applications for aid from residents in states with declared disasters.
+ Already more than 12,000 applications have been received from Iowa, Indiana and Wisconsin - with 1,386 payments already distributed to eligible families.
+ FEMA's Disaster Assistance Directorate has expanded its call center capabilities to handle more than 16,000 applications per day and has nearly 300 inspectors in the states to review individual homes for damage.
+ Mobile Disaster Recovery Centers (MDRCs), with satellite phones and internet service, are also on the ground in Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin and Missouri.
o FEMA's Joint Field Offices are engaging with response partners to establish State/Federal Housing Solutions Task Forces. These Task Forces will design and implement event specific, comprehensive housing plans. A senior FEMA Individual Assistance Manager will coordinate Task Force Activities at the national level and provide support on the ground. The task forces are working under the framework established in the 2008 Disaster Housing Plan that FEMA released earlier this month.
* U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
o HHS declared a Public Health Emergency in Iowa, Indiana, Kansas and Wisconsin and is coordinating with state health officials to provide a list of key public health information and messages related to floods and power outages.
* U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE)
o Most deliveries of water to Iowa are now being handled by the USACE, which has activated its Massachusetts-based National Water Team.
+ USACE has delivered a total of 576,000 liters of water to the logistical staging area in Des Moines and is working with state and local officials on establishing distribution points for the public distribution of water in Cedar Rapids and Columbus Junction.
o The USACE has deployed 208 flood fighting teams, more than four million sandbags and 116 water pumps to the region. The USACE has deployed the 249th Engineer Battalion to support critical facilities, including Iowa University Hospital, and has deployed an engineering team to assess using pumps to accelerate the process of clearing water from Cedar Rapids.
* U.S. Coast Guard (USCG)
o The USCG, the USACE and the maritime industry have established an Incident Command Post to address pending flooding issues in the Port of St. Louis, Missouri.
o The USCG has deployed two Disaster Assistance Response Teams (DARTs) to Cedar Rapids, Iowa and two teams to St. Louis, Missouri. DART teams are expected to be forward deployed to Quad Cities, Iowa and Hannibal, Missouri.
+ DART teams are mobile teams that consist of flat bottom boats and personnel for operations in flooded areas.
o The USCG has been conducting overview flights to assist in the assessment of flooding in Des Moines and Cedar Rapids; meanwhile the Regions are reporting that the State of Indiana is requesting two hoist-capable helicopters.
* The U.S. National Guard
o The National Guard has more than 5,000 personnel and 10 aircraft supporting evacuations, flood fighting efforts, and other support functions in the region. This includes more than 3,300 personnel in Iowa, more than 1,100 in Indiana, close to 200 in each of Illinois and Missouri, and more than 100 in Wisconsin.
* The American Red Cross (ARC)
o The ARC has more than 2,900 people though its 31 local chapters committed to the relief effort.
o Currently, the ARC, in coordination with the Southern Baptists relief organization, is moving additional kitchens and supplies to the State of Iowa in order to begin providing 100,000 hot meals per day beginning Tuesday, June 17.
o The ARC is operating 30 shelters in the region currently housing 719 people.
o The ARC is preparing to distribute kits to residents returning to homes after the floods recede that include rakes, shovels, disinfectants and other supplies they might need to help them reclaim their homes and communities.
o The ARC predicts spending in excess of $15 million on these floods and the 30 other relief operations they have participated in just since April. The ARC's support for disaster victims depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public.
* The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
o USDA Rural Development has grant and loan funds available to rural communities to provide housing and shelter, public safety, health care and community facilities and business recovery assistance. Areas that have been declared as federal disaster areas will receive priority consideration during the application process.
o USDA is providing satellite images of crop losses in the Midwest for use in Geospatial Information System modeling and imagery.
* U.S. Department of Defense (DoD)
o DOD has a number of unique capabilities which can be made available for support of civil authorities including a robust aviation capability for Search and Rescue (SAR) as well as space-based, airborne and ground assets for Incident Awareness Assessment (IAA).
* The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
o EPA is coordinating with affected states in anticipation of hazardous debris recovery.

Yeah, but you know, they're self suffecient at the state level in your mind so it must be true, and the quoted above isnt.

---

Sunday, April 05, 2009 12:34 AM on j-body.org
Ok, Ill give you the benefit of the doubt.

BUT riddle me this bat man.

why is there no looting and shooting at the people trying to help going on there?

Chris

Sunday, April 05, 2009 1:05 AM on j-body.org
Iowa does have a history of looting. I'm GUESSING it is not as bad due to

1) Far fewer people being affected.
2) Police are more experienced in dealing with it
3) Those states had activated their national guards and according the Wikipedia article on the Iowa flood, Cedar Rapids alone flooded the city with 750 guard units to protect and evacuate the city. For a city of just 126,396, that's a lot. Remember, that's in addition to their regular police force.
4) better demographics

Unfortunately (for you), there are no hard #'s on how many crimes actually got committed during Katrina by looting, due to the vast majority of reports turned out to be false. (see wiki article)

---

Sunday, April 05, 2009 5:32 AM on j-body.org
In case anyone missed it after the pics were posted, this whole quote is regarding the June 08 floods, not the ones that just happened. I'm sure that email just got re-used without updating, and was circulated again. However, since we're on the topic, there is a huge difference in the coverage of both the tragedy, and the response to it.

Knoxfire, you seriously don't see the media bias toward the liberals? You're not watching enough US news, then. It's obvious. You can take example after example of similar situations and/or actions between presidents over the years, and in all cases, the Democrat is portrayed favorably, and the Republican is ridiculed. This time it's worse than ever, but it's still the same old bias.

AGuSTiN wrote:You guys are morons. Seriously f'n morons.

Feel better about yourself now?

I seriously facepalmed after reading this line:

Quote:

People in Iowa can "evacuate" by walking about 2 blocks from the river.

Oh, really? 2 blocks from the river would have sufficed, huh?

Yeah, these people had it easy, and they should have just STFU.

Sunday, April 05, 2009 7:31 AM on j-body.org
Quiklilcav wrote:
Knoxfire, you seriously don't see the media bias toward the liberals? You're not watching enough US news, then. It's obvious. You can take example after example of similar situations and/or actions between presidents over the years, and in all cases, the Democrat is portrayed favorably, and the Republican is ridiculed. This time it's worse than ever, but it's still the same old bias.

Well, the problem with that view is that it assumes that the press has been liberal since, say, the 60's. Only problem is that the press has always sounded the way it has. I mean, just look at how a lot of very white and very conservative papers took the side of Civil Rights people back in the 60's.

Just look at the Drudge Report. If you didn't know better, you'd think it was a fairly liberal website. Same with Breitbart.com. Hell, even FoxNews reads liberal in most of it's stories. I honestly don't think it's slant. I've been writing for years and it's just how news is written. It always sounds better to play it liberally than conservatively.

Conservatives tend to moralize and talk in absolutes. It reads harsh and dry. When you soften the language a bit it tends to sound liberal even if it's not meant that way. Conservatism reads old and stuffy and angry, liberalism reads young and hip. Don't ask me why it does, but it does.

Then again, it could also be that a lot of the press corps are a bunch of Socialist weasels. Who knows? But I think I have a point.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search