Our Generations Tea Party - Page 5 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Our Generations Tea Party
Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:14 AM on j-body.org
Harrington (Fiber Faber) :

I think you are on the right track with voting these guys out. I think you are correct that that is all they truly care about is being re-elected. I think you are right that career politicians both R and D are the problem. I think 95% of people would agree with those veiws. This is the message you should be pushing!

This constant republican bashing you do is counter productive to you. If you truly think the Republican party is dieing or dead already then the party that will be oposing the libertarians the most is the democrats!

Also you need to get it ou of your head that the tea partys are strictly a republican thing because they are not. It is about out of control government spending. Even Hannity and Beck are saying it does not matter your political offiliation.



FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!


Re: Our Generations Tea Party
Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:16 AM on j-body.org
ScottaWhite wrote:

Quickilkav, I must disagree about the Dems shouldering future political losses.

1) O.B.ama is black + he's cool+ probably getting some strange on the side.

2) Dems have a win-win situation here. If the economy rebounds, O.B.ama and Co. will take credit for it as proof of his genius... However, if his policies fail, we will once again be subjected to commercials of "8 years of failed Bush republican policies cannot be fixed overnnight, and we are still suffering the aftereffects of his mismanagement"

3) See #1.


You are dead on on number 2



FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Re: Our Generations Tea Party
Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:15 AM on j-body.org
FReQ GTO eSquIRE wrote:

ThatGuy85 wrote:

Because protecting the environment isn't caring about the homeland?


there's other ways of protecting the environment than those fanatical bastards. besides... when the country is broke, divided and wrecked... are you seriously gonna have "environmental concerns"?


Not sure what fanatical bastards you're speaking of, but I'm thinking of scientists that are helping create cleaner and more efficient energy, and biodegradable products. I see that helping the broke and divided country quite a bit.

Now, if you're talking about worthless hippies sitting around a tree that was cut down and crying, then you are correct. And the offending hippies should be made to club baby seals for a living.

EDIT: Case in point, lol...



Can't even watch the whole video. It makes me want to claw my eyeballs out too badly.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:21 AM


Re: Our Generations Tea Party
Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:53 AM on j-body.org
Harrington (Fiber Faber) wrote:

You make me sad, no one ever said that there was not a single Democrat at any one of these demonstration. Care to print me a link where I said that. Quickcav said they are non-partisan, I say they are not. The whole notion of using the words TEA PARTY is in reference to the Boston tea party, which was the start of the American Revolution, why would you use the term tea party if you weren't insinuating you want to throw the current government out and start anew.


By saying they are not non-partisan, I think you are saying it is only republicans.......which by definition would mean no democrats. Or are we only taking a percentage of people being one affiliation or another to deem it non-partisan?

And I have told my wife and many others I disagree with using the term "tea party", but to say just because that term was used means people want to overthrow the government is just asinine. It's more of the fact that using the term automatically brings attention to it IMO. I would love to see a quote of anyone who isn't some militia nut job say they are looking to overthrow the govt.....I'm guessing there isn't one.

Quote:

Obviously the wrong person was voted in your opinion or you would not be complaining. If all these welfare cases decide all the elections how did Bush get elected? See I can put words into your mouth too.


I absolutely do think the wrong person was voted in. And no, I don't think McCain would be a better fit either. I think it's really the same in terms of those 2 and both parties, so you're not putting any words in my mouth. And how did Bush get elected? Well for starters, look at who the other choice was. Seems simple IMO. And it's easy to sit here and say "Bush was so terrible" in hind-sight(which he was), but as far as the "welfare cases", handouts do not always come in the form of welfare


Quote:

What does that have to do with anything I said? I said: The county was not founded on Republican principals. It was founded on the idea that all men are created equal and the we have the right to the pursuit of happiness. Republicans believe these ideals only apply to upper class people that believe in God and donate money to support their political agenda.
1. The Republican party was not even around when our forefathers made this country so how can it be based on Republican policies as Quickcav said?
2. When did I ever say "teaching people to feel they deserve free handouts from people who are actually attempting to better themselves is right", are you serious? Do you like trying to put words into peoples mouths or is it just a bad habit?


Republicans believe these ideals apply only to religious people and those who donate to their agenda??? Really? Since I'm so often lumped into the republican group by JBO'ers, here's something for ya....I'm not upper class. I'm not religious. Donating to their political agenda? Uhh, see Obama and AIG, ACORN, Unions, etc. So you see the republicans doing this, but it's perfectly fine for the left to do it with no call out?

And you're right...this country was not founded on "republican" principals, it was actually founded more on Libertarian principals...you know...the people who were the majority of these gatherings. But CNN wouldn't publicise that when they can use it for their bashing of the right, so i wouldn't expect you to see it any different.

As far as #1, I didn't read where Quick said something about the country being based on republican policies, and if he did, I would disagree.
#2, I wasn't pointing to anything you said, but more-so pointing out this country has been advocating this behavior for decades.

Quote:

I never said that it was not a reason to be pissed, I for one was pissed at the first TARP. So your telling me that the first TARP was ok? Because the way you make it sound there was no reason to be mad until the money they spent after the first TARP. I just asked why people didn't start this tea party stuff at the onset of the bailout mentality.


I can assure you I was NOT for ANY of the bailouts, as I believe in capitalism. If they mismanaged, and are gonna fall, they need to fall. And you can confirm that by going back to the first bailout thread started here where i noted I thought they should let these companies fall. I think the reason people are so pissed now, is it appears to be a never ending train of money being handed to whoever our current administration deems "too big to fail". However I can't speak for every person who attended these gatherings, and I don't intend to.

Quote:

Ok, so I should have said further damage at the hands of Democrats and Republicans I do agree with that. How can i be partisan if I loathe Democrats and Republicans alike?. My point is that this movement is backed by Republicans for the sole purpose of regaining power, if it truly were a grass roots movement by the people there would not be a single politician involved because after all they are the cause of all this, if you can't see it well thats cool too.


Again, you're picking out 1 or 2 of these gatherings that may have had a political person speak. So you automatically discredit every gathering and every person that attended because of those 1 or 2 examples. You know and have known for quite sometime that I feel the same as you in regards to loathing the Red and the blue. So because I support these people standing up and protesting, I'm a republican? I wish the world was as cut and dry as you're making it seem.


And no need to apologise....... You're just speaking your mind and what you believe in, the same way I am. <3






Re: Our Generations Tea Party
Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:52 PM on j-body.org
This is what CNN and MOST of the MSM think it's about;





This is what it's really about;









"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Re: Our Generations Tea Party
Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:07 PM on j-body.org
Harrington (Fiber Faber) wrote:

Hahaha amazing. Didn't see that coming a mile away.

Cracks me up, anyone who has an opinion that does not follow yours to the T is either stupid or ill-informed. How do you fit through doorways with a head that big? Is it a huge responsibility to be the foremost political authority in the country?

The county was not founded on Republican principals. It was founded on the idea that all men are created equal and the we have the right to the pursuit of happiness. Republicans believe these ideals only apply to upper class people that believe in God and donate money to support their political agenda.

You might want to try reading The Constitution, as well as the Federalist Papers, and The Bill of Rights. This country was founded on the principles that a small, limited, federal government would better serve it's people, and that individual liberty would produce the most prosperity. It was founded on the union of sovereign states, who would better know how to serve their people than a centralized power. This country was founded on the very principles that when a government becomes too big and too powerful, it is the right and duty of it's people to throw it off and provide for themselves.

From the Declaration of Independance:

Quote:

That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness...But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

Harrington (Fiber Faber) wrote:

This "outrage" is a minority. For it to be a majority there would have had to been over 150 million people at these tea parties yesterday, was their even 1 million total across the country? They have allot of work to do to become a majority.

Yes, because absolutely every person in the country who supports this movement was able to attend. And name one other single time since the Vietnam War protests that 200,000 people organized nearly 800 protests country wide on a singe day. I'm not even sure those would hold a candle to what happened yesterday. This isn't about my opinion or your opinion, it's about facts. There were people from all walks of life, and of all political party affiliations, who attended and support these protests.
Harrington (Fiber Faber) wrote:

...until we get career politicians out of government, nothing will change.

Well, for once we agree.
Harrington (Fiber Faber) wrote:

The Democrats will only shoulder the majority of losses if the GOP finds a way to revitalize their base, until they get rid fringe elements that run the party and distort their message this will not happen. Third party candidates will not gain any ground because people still believe for the most part it is a waste of a vote.

While I would usually agree with the third party candidate part, I think this time we could see some serious growth. You're right about the GOP needing to get their sh!t together, but I have no doubt it will happen within the next two years, and you will see them gain ground. Actually, they don't even have to work that hard, because when the economy is still in shambles, all they will have to do is point at the encumbant party. It works both ways. It's why the GOP lost control in 06, lost more in 08, and one of the reasons why Obama was able to pull off the Cinderella story campaign.
Harrington (Fiber Faber) wrote:

I realized years ago that there is no such thing as a career politician that cares about anything but themselves, you on the other hand still believe Republicans are on your side and willing to represent your views, that is the biggest badge of fail and you wear it proudly. Of course you will laugh at this post and tell me how blind I am and how full of fail my post is and how no one but you knows what is really "going on" because I don't agree with you but thats fine. I won't change your opinion and you won't change mine.

I don't claim to be the only one that knows what's going on, and I never have. However, your posts make it obvious that you do not. When you make a blanket statement that the tea parties are just Republicans (in spite of your later foolish backpedalling), it's irrefutable that you don't know what you're talking about.
Harrington (Fiber Faber) wrote:

how a non-partisan movement is ran by former Republican House Majority Leader Dick Armey, the only speaker at one of these tea parties I read about was a Republican and it was promoted by Shean Hannity and he even did a broadcast form the Atalnta tea party. Sounds non-partisan to me.

And I suppose it means nothing that Michael Steele offered to speak at one of them and was denied, specifically because the organizers weren't looking support, or be supported by, any political party?






Re: Our Generations Tea Party
Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:22 PM on j-body.org
john317(AKA Gary the Old guy) wrote:

This is what CNN and MOST of the MSM think it's about;



Intelligence and non-biased media at it's best. I wonder if Susan could tell us where the state of Lincoln is?






Re: Our Generations Tea Party
Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:16 PM on j-body.org


I tried to not follow to much about the Tea Party stuff but I did find a NON MSM write up. This is in regard to the two in Pittsburgh.

Quote:


Teabaggin' the Square

BY CHRIS POTTER

OK, back from the Market Square "Tea Party." I have a mild headache as a result, and not a lot of time to really describe this event in all its splendor. I will say that for me, the high point was when a small number of black observers began chanting "Obama" in defiance of the general mood. They were shouted down with cheers of -- what else? -- "USA! USA! USA!"

Note to tea-partiers: Obama actually IS the president of the USA ... though judging from a couple "Impeach Obama" signs I saw, some teabaggers wish he weren't.

(The counter-demonstrators were also told to "learn how to talk" and "get a job" by a couple members of the nearly-all-white Teabaggin' crowd. The latter charge is especially mystifying: We were ALL here on a weekday, during the lunch hour. Why would anyone assume the counterdemonstrators were the only ones who needed a job? Unless, of course ... )

Anyway, while I wait for the aspirin to take effect, i'll just share some of my favorite posters from today's event.

This one actually made me laugh out loud, and unlike the vast majority of rhetoric from the stage and the crowd, it did contain a bipartisan critique:



By contrast, this was one of the uglier entries. If you're going to accuse people of extortion, isn't a a swastika overkill?



Perhaps it never occurred to you that "Obama"sounds like "Osama"?



Did I mention there were some Ayn Rand fans in the crowd?



The picture quality here isn't great, I'll admit. But the sign says "Enslaved by big government spending. Slavery is back!" If you think black people had it bad in the 19th century, I hope this puts things in perspective.


Finally, it seems fitting to end on this note ... though I suspect I'd diagnose a different cause of death than many of the other rally participants.




[
Quote:


The Consciousness (?) of a Conservative

BY CHRIS POTTER



As you might expect, being the editor of City Paper means you'll spend a certain percentage of your day talking to misfits, whack-jobs, and malcontents.

And that's just the staff meeting. There are also plenty of phone calls that come in from various members of the tinfoil-hat community, folks who want you to get to the bottom of their sinister conspiracies.

But I got a call just now that I thought I'd share. It came from a perfectly pleasant gentleman who wanted to know details about a "Tea Party" event that is apparently coming up tomorrow, which will feature former Presidential candidate (and perennial nutter) Alan Keyes.

Information is my business, so I help the guy out by providing him time and location details. The event is being held at Allegheny Landing (that sculpture park along the Allegheny River, just east of PNC Park), and the guy asks if there's a specific street address.

"I need an address to give to my ACCESS driver," he says.

ACCESS, of course, is a door-to-door transit service that the Port Authority provides to elderly riders and people with disabilities. In other words, this guy was going to use government-provided transit to attend a rally opposing big government.

Of course, this particular protest, we're told, is being directed only at "a long train of abuses and usurpations of our tax dollars to bail out banks, financial institutions, and special interests." But the broader agenda here is pretty obvious: The home page of the official 'Tea Party' Web site features Ronald Reagan asserting, "In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem." Elsewhere, the site decries the fact that "We, the People, face foreclosures, hardships, and distress without any assistance whatsoever."

I'm not a big fan of the bailouts myself (who is?). The whole way this is shaking down confirms my longstanding fear of the financial sector's influence on Barack Obama. I also don't want to single my caller out. (I resisted the temptation to tell him to trust the free market to get him to the rally.) After all, people with disabilities should be able to participate in empty-headed political gestures too. That's one of the things that makes this country great.

But this just sums up our political situation, doesn't it? For decades we've heard right-wingers denounce "government intervention" in the economy ... with the fully predicatable result that once financial markets were deregulated, the whole system turned to @!#$. We've got flat-taxers and flat-earthers who have sought to strip revenues from government ... and all of a sudden, people are wondering why our bridges and roads are in such miserable shape.

Somehow, we've ended up with a political scene in which millions of people demand the abolishment of institutions that, while they are far from perfect, have made our way of life possible. And hardly any of them are even aware of the hypocrisy.

Quote:


Keyes Shows up at the Wrong Door

BY CHRIS POTTER

Did you miss Alan Keyes' big speech on the North Side this past weekend? You're not alone: While the Tribune-Review's coverage estimates the crowd at "several thousand," the Post-Gazette puts it at a more modest 1,500.

Which sort of sums up our plight as a country: Competing media outlets cover a political rally, but can't even agree on how many people were there.

Anyway, you can watch Keyes' speech for yourself by following these four links. Or you could, say, drive rusty nails into your gums. Your choice. But having sat through the full 40-minute experience -- no need to thank me -- I can tell you this speech is almost exactly what you'd expect.

It starts with Keyes comparing the Obama team to Al-Qaeda:

We have had foreign enemies who have sought to terrorize us with attacks, and we have domestic enemies who seek to terrorize us with economic collapse.

And works its way to a vision in which we are being led

happily into the slaughter pens where we shall go from being proud citiziens of the United States, fearing no one but our God, to being the subjects of a government where we must fear its every shadow.

In the spirit of the day, Keyes was willing to make a nod to bipartisanship. Leaders in both parties, he said, were

walking us over the cliff where our Constitution is destroyed, where our economy is bankrupted, where our independence is forfeited, where our sovereignty as a people is no more.

Note the stirring cadence of those remarks. Keyes is a good speaker, despite his tendency to start waddling back and forth like an overexcited penguin for emphasis. He can effectively move from a conversational tone to a Voice of God bellow, and then drop down to a whisper, all within the space of a few minutes.

The problem is, the guy is bat@!#$ nuts. I'm not just talking about garden-variety silliness. (For example, Keyes spoke derisively of "educated [people] with fancy degrees" -- even though he himself had been introduced as "Doctor Alan Keyes.") I'm talking serious cognitive dissonance here.

Let's recall that one week to the day before Keyes gave his little pep-talk, three Pittsburgh police officers were gunned down -- apparently by a guy who thought the government was going to take away his guns. It is in this context, in this city, that Keyes chose to praise his audience as a group in which "every individual is an army empowered by their faith in God."

I'm willing to bet that's how many lone gunmen see themselves. Especially the ones who would admire this line from Keyes' speech:

[N]ever as long as we have breath [will we] surrender the instruments with which we can defend [our] liberty against the depradations of a government no longer committed to it.

Make no mistake: I'm not suggesting that Keyes is encouraging people to go shoot cops. (His political program, such as it is, seems to involve "throwing the bums out" -- voting against every incumbent in 2010.) Nor would he be responsible if one of his audience later goes out and does just that. But Keyes talked quite a bit about how "liberty" wasn't all about doing whatever you wanted -- at least not when it applied to things like gay marriage. Maybe a word about the moral obligations of gun ownership would have been in order?

If you're in a city still grieving from a terrible shooting, you might want to think these things through. If only to show you actually give a damn about the city you happened to parachute into that morning with your rantings. This is almost like Charlton Heston showing up in Littleton, Colorado to do the NRA "not from my cold, dead hands" shtick after the Columbine shootings.

The temptation is to say there's something "chilling" about all this, but actually it's sort of sad. The folks at Media Matters have posted footage from other recent "Tea Parties," which pretty clearly shows what's going on here. Despite the rhetoric, the real grievance these folks have isn't that America has "lost its democracy." It's that these folks lost the last election. And they just can't imagine how the hell that happened. Look at this guy, for example:




Uh, buddy? Sometimes a person gets elected even if you, personally, didn't vote for him. That isn't called "stealing" an election; it's called "winning." Aren't you and your buddies the same folks who called Democrats "sore losers" and "whiners" back in 2000? What's striking is the sense of entitlement here: If I can't have my way, I'm going to take all my Mausers and go home. Where I will await the End Times.

Keyes, to his credit, appeared to be slightly less delusional than some of his followers. His rhetoric, at least, seemed to acknowledge that that most Americans simply don't agree with him or his audience:

We will have truly rediscovered our moral strength when we discover the strength that we find as we stand alone for what is right ... [T]hough you bow your head beneath the weight of all that loneliness, when you lift it up, you shall be standing in the light of our Almighty God.

Judging from the crowd response, it's pretty obvious that this sense of isolation flatters the audience's desire to be courageous. But it's probably also helping to drive them nuts. As polling data suggests, Obama remains quite popular. And my guess is that if Obama becomes even more so, these folks will become more resentful. It'll be bad for everyone if Obama fails, of course. But it will be terrible for these folks if he somehow succeeds. They won't be able to wrap their minds around it.

Which is to say that maybe, just maybe, these folks aren't feeling oppressed by their government. Maybe they're feeling oppressed by their fellow Americans.


Not say he is right or wrong but he does connect a few dots. This is the City Paper - more of free lance, free paper so it might not be as biased.
Re: Our Generations Tea Party
Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:35 PM on j-body.org
Hmm.. I don't know why I have the feeling that 98% of the members of this rally has a nice fat R on their voter cards.
You want a well thought out protest... hire a hippie. Those people did a fine job protesting a unjustifiable war. lol
Fast forward to yesterday and what do we have, enraged Republicans trying out the martyr position. They claim that the current gov't is spending to much, true... But where were these jackasses when Bush Jr, Bush Sr, Reagan, Nixon were spending more (for their time) than this government? Why so silent back then and now all the anger? Why did it take 40 years to get angry all of a sudden? Convenient timing?
You want to hold a candle to your protests, protest on every political party that practices over spending, because all of this turned out to be a bitch-fest on Barack then a protest on tax.


john317(AKA Gary the Old guy) wrote:


This is what it's really about;


Either the ralliers or Glenn Beck didn't get the memo, but through out the whole day I didn't see any Anti-Republican president on this "protest." How odd?

One day there will be a REAL protest with all walks of life attacking this issue, what happened yesterday was not it.


THE POLITICALLY INCORRECT ONE.

Re: Our Generations Tea Party
Friday, April 17, 2009 4:32 AM on j-body.org
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:



One day there will be a REAL protest with all walks of life attacking this issue, what happened yesterday was not it.


Agreed 100%


KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:


and I'm NOT a pedo. everyone knows i've got a wheelchair fetish.


Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search