Did I hear Uncle Joe correctly? Another stimulus pkg? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Did I hear Uncle Joe correctly? Another stimulus pkg?
Sunday, July 05, 2009 7:04 PM on j-body.org
Am I hearing things, or is this part of the vast right-wing conspiracy to make a monkey out of our current administration? Another stimulus pkg?

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart

Re: Did I hear Uncle Joe correctly? Another stimulus pkg?
Sunday, July 05, 2009 7:49 PM on j-body.org
HaHa. You just said monkey.

Monday, July 06, 2009 5:14 PM on j-body.org
blue02zee24 wrote:HaHa. You just said monkey.

Haha Grow up!

No, I haven't heard anything.

"is not that I don't care, it is not my responsibility"
Monday, July 06, 2009 5:24 PM on j-body.org
Last I heard from multiple news sources was that they intended to release another stimulus package. It was the exact same failed package as the last one, just with a new name. I have not heard much in the past month or so though.

Monday, July 06, 2009 5:39 PM on j-body.org
If you really pay attention to what's being said, there are a few things that paint a good picture of the fraud this administration is.

1) Recently Obama stated that "The Stimulus Plan is working exactly as it was supposed to". So did he mean that it was turning the economy around? I mean, he said it was going to keep us from exceeding 8% unemployment, but we're at 9.5% now. Or did he give one of his actual truthful statements that no one catches the meaning of, and he means that the stimulus is creating more government power and dependance? That would be a truthful statement, as anyone who read the stimulus would realize this was not about fixing the economy, it was about creating more government dependance.

2) Biden said at least 5 times over the past few days that they misjudged the economy when they passed the stimulus. If you take it at face value, they are doing two things: making an excuse for the economy still not turning around, and setting the stage for "needing" another stimulus package.

3) There have actually been mumblings amoung the Democrats about another stimulus. This isn't a rumor, I've heard the statements. Given Biden's recent statements, let's just ask the following question of them: if you got it wrong the first time, what makes you think you've got it right this time?

Now, if you haven't learned this about big government spending yet, learn it now: whenever the government creates a program that is supposed to fix a problem, it inevetably involves large amounts of money and bureaucracy. When it doesn't work, their answer is always to do it more. Remember the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Seems to fit big government spending to a "T".

I hope that after everything with the first stimulus, and what it hasn't done, that the general public stands vocal against any additional attempt at more spending, and it fails to pass.

Monday, July 06, 2009 5:42 PM on j-body.org
towards the waning days of the Roman Empire, they tried the same things.

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Monday, July 06, 2009 7:21 PM on j-body.org
Ok, so it wasn't just me. I was watching the news this morning, and although they didn't name names, they said that "leading economists" believe Stimulus II will be needed soon.

It won't be too long, before they start trumpeting the cry "Look what a mess we inherited.....Bush had 8 years to mess it up, and we need more time to fix it...say....another term?"

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Monday, July 06, 2009 10:48 PM on j-body.org
Hell they only spent what? like 50 Billion of the 787 Billion? of the first one! This administration and Congress needs to tried for treason and imprisoned.

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 2:52 AM on j-body.org
Jay T wrote:Hell they only spent what? like 50 Billion of the 787 Billion? of the first one! This administration and Congress needs to tried for treason and imprisoned.

???

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 5:04 AM on j-body.org
They've spent a little less than 60 billion of the 787 billion,the rest is not supposed to be spent until 2010-2011.

Their's something very shady going on...

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Tuesday, July 07, 2009 5:09 AM on j-body.org
Roughly 10% of the "stimulus" money has been spent already, with the lion share being doled out to the ......dole. Subsidizing state subsidy programs like Medicare and Medicaid......which pumps zero dollars into the general economy. Although, the sniveling argument could be made that taxpayer dollars are keeping nurses and doctors employed.

Here's a big hairy scary thought: Repeal the stimulus plan and institute "No Federal Income Tax September" Everyone would pay no federal income tax for an entire month. Great idea right? Except that it would favor the rich as they would get the largest percentage and largest savings (dollar-wise) Also, single mom's working 17 jobs to just pay rent and ride the bus, wouldn't see much of a savings.

Thursday, July 09, 2009 4:57 AM on j-body.org
doubt the general population will cry out against more free money, wave a 10 dollar bill in front of most people now a days and you can get them to degrade themselves pretty easy. wave a hundred bucks or two and most people will bend over, drop their pants and say no lube, just give it to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, July 09, 2009 4:57 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, July 09, 2009 6:01 AM on j-body.org
yay, another trillion dollar power grab. fantastic

Thursday, July 09, 2009 2:24 PM on j-body.org
sndsgood wrote:doubt the general population will cry out against more free money, wave a 10 dollar bill in front of most people now a days and you can get them to degrade themselves pretty easy. wave a hundred bucks or two and most people will bend over, drop their pants and say no lube, just give it to me.

It looks like there is major opposition already, even though they haven't officially announced a second bill yet. According to a Rasmussen poll from only 3 days ago, 60% of the people disapprove of a second stimulus plan, while only 27% support it.

Report here: July 6 Rasmussen Poll on possible second stimulus plan

Also, Obama's approval index (for those unfamiliar with what this is, it's the difference between people polled who strongly approve and who strongly disapprove) is -8 as of today. It has dropped severely over the past month. Full story here.

There may be hope for us yet.

Thursday, July 09, 2009 5:29 PM on j-body.org
What needs to happen before this stimulus can be veto'd

Thursday, July 09, 2009 11:04 PM on j-body.org
No more Stimulus for you Obama. Party is over!

Friday, July 10, 2009 2:55 AM on j-body.org
I'm thinking a petition to every member of congress from their voters promising to vote for their challenger next mid-term election if they vote for the bill.

When they see that it's their job at stake, they'll have a change of heart.

Sunday, July 12, 2009 7:36 PM on j-body.org
Obama rejects 2nd stimulus: Give recovery time

Quote:

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama said Saturday the $787 billion stimulus program must be given a chance to work before consideration is given to a second such jolt for the still-ailing economy.

Obama acknowledged in his weekly radio and Internet address that people are getting nervous about continuing high joblessness -- the unemployment rate hit 9.5 percent in June -- but said reversing payroll losses takes time. He asked Americans to be as patient as possible.

Republicans have labeled the $787 billion stimulus a failure. Both Obama and Vice President Joe Biden have argued that the bulk of the money from the stimulus program is still being disbursed and that it already has saved many jobs.

Obama criticized Republicans for opposing the stimulus but offering few alternatives to the worst recession since the Great Depression. And he rejected talk of a second stimulus, an idea that has been discussed by Democrats and even famed investor Warren Buffett.

"We must let it work the way it's supposed to, with the understanding that in any recession, unemployment tends to recover more slowly than other measures of economic activity," Obama, who is visiting Ghana on Saturday, said in his recorded message.

The stimulus included $288 billion in tax cuts, dramatic increases in Medicaid spending, about $48 billion in highway and bridge construction and billions more to boost energy efficiency, shore up state budgets and improve schools.

The plan "was not designed to work in four months," Obama said. "It was designed to work over two years."

Since Obama signed the stimulus into law, the economy has lost more than 2 million jobs and the unemployment rate has climbed higher than the White House predicted it would have ever reached without the stimulus.

Some companies say stimulus money helped avoid layoffs. Independent government auditors found that stimulus aid to states helped keep teachers off unemployment lines. But overall job numbers continue to suffer.

Republicans have seized on this opportunity to criticize the president, but they have struggled to find their collective voice. At a news conference Friday, Republican lawmakers criticized the White House for spending so much, while simultaneously saying the administration wasn't spending it fast enough.

With the Obama administration now pushing for a costly overhaul of the nation's health care system, Republicans are casting Democrats as liberals on a shopping spree. In the GOP's weekly address Saturday, Virginia Rep. Eric Cantor, the House Republican whip, accused the Democratic-controlled Congress of reckless spending and careless borrowing.

Though the Republican stimulus proposal this January had its own deficit-pushing price tag of $478 billion, Cantor and Republicans are trying to make their case against Obama as one of fiscal restraint.

"For the stimulus alone, Washington borrowed nearly $10,000 from every American household," Cantor said. "Let me ask you: Do you feel $10,000 richer today?"

In his speech, Obama twice referred to "cleaning up the wreckage" of a recession that began on President George W. Bush's watch. But with Obama's poll numbers slipping on economic issues, Republicans want to lay the economy at the president's feet.

"This is now President Obama's economy," Cantor said.

Alright - now everyone start attacking Obama for not rushing directly into another stimulus package. This is Barack HUSSEIN Obama's decision after all so it must be a conspiracy to rob Americans of something...

(Angry mob forms in 5, 4, 3...)

Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:33 PM on j-body.org
bk3k wrote:Alright - now everyone start attacking Obama for not rushing directly into another stimulus package. This is Barack HUSSEIN Obama's decision after all so it must be a conspiracy to rob Americans of something...

(Angry mob forms in 5, 4, 3...)

He's paying attention to the polls and trying to say what people want to hear. Don't think it's anything more than that.

He campaigned on this being the worst recession since the Great Depression. He claimed that if we didn't pass the ARRA that unemployment would get over 8%. Now that it's at 9.5%, he's trying to claim that he didn't have all of the info (a backpedal to Biden's foot-in-mouth statement that they misjudged the economy.) Many Democrats are starting to talk second stimulus, and if it comes up, I guarantee you that Obama would sign it, but with every poll showing that the vast majority of Americans are against it, he's not going to try to push it. That way he can appear, for the moment, to be listening to the people. However, he is going to continue to push for his Cap and Trade, and "Government Option" health care "reform". Also, remember that he is claiming that the ARRA is working exactly as it was supposed to, yet the numbers and his statements I mentioned above do not add up. Flat out, this is a lie they are being caught in. If you can't see it, your blinders are on.

Also, anyone who believes his BS rhetoric that he has been repeating since January, that the Republicans opposed the ARRA without offering an alternative, is allowing themselves to be fooled. Remember that there was a bill offered, with more tax breaks, and less spending, that would have all happened in a shorter time frame, but it was not only shot down, but a resolution prohibiting further alternatives from being offered was passed. They strong-armed it through their way, and keep acting like it was the only solution offered. Even that article acknowledges it, even though it tries to spin it as being hypocritical.

One last thought: if Obama is really against a second stimulus, then why did the Whitehouse say about a week ago (I don't remember the conference details, but if I can find it, I'll post it up) in response to a reporter asking if he would consider a second stimulus, "everything is on the table"? The reporter actually asked more specifically, and the answer was a typical dodge of repeating the same answer of "everything is on the table". This is just a new polish on the classic Clintonian turd of trying to come down on both sides of an issue, so as to appease everyone.

To put into perspective the bias of the article, (ironically from squeaky-clean, non-corrupt Chicago, where Obama and his team came from), they attempt at painting the Republicans as self-contradictory in their criticism of the ARRA:

Quote:

At a news conference Friday, Republican lawmakers criticized the White House for spending so much, while simultaneously saying the administration wasn't spending it fast enough.

This is a two-fold criticism, and it is not contradictory. They have been consistent that this was a commitment of spending and programs that was not only unnecessary, but most of it completely unrelated to stimulus. Also, they have criticised the fact that it was forced through as an emergency measure that we couldn't wait for, but nearly 80% of the money will not be spent until 2010 or later (some of it as far off as six years from the signing). This criticism is also aimed at the idea of a second stimulus. Use common sense: if the bulk of the first bill hasn't been spent yet, why write another bill instead of just speeding up the one that's already signed? It's because every bill they pass has more pieces of their puzzle in it, which is about increased central power. When you understand this, and stop falling for the feel-good wording of everything they do, you will see them for what they really are, and join the growing number of people who are realizing what a mistake they made in November.

Monday, July 13, 2009 9:07 AM on j-body.org
I've got a hunch, that the majority of the stimulus money can't be spent until 2010-2011, because they need time to see what "swing-states" need buttering up with stimulus dollars, and also which democratic senators may be vulnerable to losing re-election, so they can pump some stimulus money to their constituents as well. Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Wyoming.....they can all go screw themselves! Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Florida, Pennsylvania.....Nevada.....get ready for some stimulus jobs come reelection time.

California? O.B.ama could get caught on tape clubbing baby seals over the head with a burning Q'uran and they'd still vote for him, so no stimulus money for them.

Monday, July 13, 2009 1:14 PM on j-body.org
glad hes not wanting a second stimulus package. but the whole package he introduce had so much stuff that wont take effect or have any meaning to the general workforce for a couple of years from now. so much rebuilding stuff that was in there will be years before you see any signifigant change.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Monday, July 13, 2009 5:59 PM on j-body.org
how about one month not paying any federal income tax out of our checks?
Full pay check, no tax for one month only pay sales taxes when you buy something? would that be a stpid Idea?

Monday, July 13, 2009 6:12 PM on j-body.org
spoiler wrote:how about one month not paying any federal income tax out of our checks?
Full pay check, no tax for one month only pay sales taxes when you buy something? would that be a stpid Idea?

That would get us a small blip on the radar of the economy, if anything. It would be just like the stimulus checks in 2001 and 2008. They did nothing to effect the economy. Not that you're completely on the wrong track. Tax cuts are where it happens.

The only way to do it is to lower them, and make them permanent. This encourages growth and spending because people and businesses can see that they will have a sustained increase in their bottom line, not just a one shot deal.

Monday, July 13, 2009 6:15 PM on j-body.org
spoiler wrote:how about one month not paying any federal income tax out of our checks?

That would be nice, i already get raped every week as is.

Monday, July 13, 2009 7:02 PM on j-body.org
as quick said. not to much diffrence then a stimulus package, just one little extra lump sum that gets spend in a weekend on bills and then nothing. lower taxes as a hole would increase spending more. kinda like would you rather have 300 bucks now or an extra 20 bucks a week permanent.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search