michigan - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: michigan
Tuesday, August 18, 2009 8:53 AM on j-body.org
^^
I understand this, but at the same time I don't necessarily fully believe it. When a company makes an annual profit in excess of $20 million they should get taxed more than a company that doesn't make profits over $1 million. I'd rather see a big company footing the bill for things than them comming out of my pocket. Yes big companies spend a lot of money to make money, but their profits are outrageous in some cases.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:11 AM on j-body.org
BP (brandonpauli) wrote:^^
I understand this, but at the same time I don't necessarily fully believe it. When a company makes an annual profit in excess of $20 million they should get taxed more than a company that doesn't make profits over $1 million. I'd rather see a big company footing the bill for things than them comming out of my pocket. Yes big companies spend a lot of money to make money, but their profits are outrageous in some cases.

AHHH see there it is again. i want the guy who makes more money then me to pay more then his fair share. why not have everyone pay the same amount based on their pay? so everyone is paying equally? what people forget is what happens when that company who made 20 million this year has a bad year next year and loses 2-3 million instead of making a profit? profits arn't outragous when you realise that 20 million dollars may only be 5% profit based off what they spent. my company this year do to the econemy is running at around 35% of what it made the last several years. meaning were down 65% imagine if that company that profits 20 million a year is down even just 20% now there looking at a 100 million loss.

as for the whole minimum wage thing. those guys are just idiots. when you state is in such a dismal state as michigan is you dont want to ask companies to fork over even more money. your basically telling all the companies that hire people at minimum wage to cut back on employees and put more people out of a job. companies are allready having a tough time as it is. so making them pay out more money will just lead them to letting people go.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:26 AM on j-body.org
I understand everyone is down right now, but companies still turn a profit,. It might not be $20 million, but 20% of $20 million isn't going to effect them the way a 20% loss would effect a company like yours. I'm not saying punish them for running an effective business, I'm saying that the fair share thing doesn't always work out.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:56 PM on j-body.org
BP (brandonpauli) wrote:I understand everyone is down right now, but companies still turn a profit,. It might not be $20 million, but 20% of $20 million isn't going to effect them the way a 20% loss would effect a company like yours. I'm not saying punish them for running an effective business, I'm saying that the fair share thing doesn't always work out.

um turning a profit? alllllot of companies arn't turning a profit, allllot will have a losing year. which means they spent more money then they made. if my company is making 20% profit and another company is only making 10% profit. then them losing money will hurt allot more then my company even if they make allot larger dollar amount.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:52 PM on j-body.org
Let's not forget that a lot of those companies losing money this year, many of them could be turning a profit if it wasn't for all of the costs put onto their business through taxes in other forms.

The funny thing BP, is that when I quoted you, you sounded like you were a little more conservative than that. I was merely explaining why so many people don't equate increased payroll with the increase cost of goods and services. However, it sounds like you've bought into a lot of the rhetoric in that area.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:50 PM on j-body.org
Greedy Capitalist Pig wrote:Let's not forget that a lot of those companies losing money this year, many of them could be turning a profit if it wasn't for all of the costs put onto their business through taxes in other forms.

The funny thing BP, is that when I quoted you, you sounded like you were a little more conservative than that. I was merely explaining why so many people don't equate increased payroll with the increase cost of goods and services. However, it sounds like you've bought into a lot of the rhetoric in that area.

before i sound like too big of a douche bag, i'm going to clarify what i mean. its hard to type responses from a cell phone. i dont mean tax the @!#$ out of them, i'm just saying with a greater profit margin should come with a greater tax. when i make more money in my paycheck, i get taxed an additonal amount. i don't think its fair, but i understand that i can afford the extra over some 16 year old working part time. i know that there are compaines losing money and going under, especially this year, i live in michigan and work in the automotive industry so i see the effects first hand. i'm just saying that when a company that makes a rediculous profit, they should have to pay an additional tax like i do.

now as for the minimum wage increase, i still stand by that. anyone who thinks that a minimum wage will fix anything is terribly wrong. all this would do is hurt any small buisness that is already struggleing. i was managing a Hungry Howie's when we were hit by the first minimum wage incerase, $5.15 to $7.XX and i saw how badly the buisness was hurt. prices went up because the cost to make pizzas and turn a profit on them went up.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 4:38 AM on j-body.org
BP (brandonpauli) wrote:i dont mean tax the @!#$ out of them, i'm just saying with a greater profit margin should come with a greater tax.

That's automatic with any percentage. This is the greatest flaw in the logic of a graduated tax system being somehow more fair than a flat rate: when people pay the same percentage of their income in taxes, the more you make, the more you pay. Simple. However out society has gone so far off the cliff with this idea that people are looking at the dollar amounts someone gets to keep and think that it's not fair someone else has so much more. They ignore the fact that that person has also paid so much more in taxes, and cry foul over the unfairness of it.
BP (brandonpauli) wrote:when i make more money in my paycheck, i get taxed an additonal amount. i don't think its fair, but i understand that i can afford the extra over some 16 year old working part time.

It's not fair that you get taxed a higher amount. See above. I've been a supporter of the flat tax rate for years, but the propaganda against it has been swallowed up by the masses for so long the plan has never gotten very far. If we ever were to get a low flat tax rate, our economy would take off again like a rocket.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:03 PM on j-body.org
BP (brandonpauli) wrote:I understand everyone is down right now, but companies still turn a profit,. It might not be $20 million, but 20% of $20 million isn't going to effect them the way a 20% loss would effect a company like yours. I'm not saying punish them for running an effective business, I'm saying that the fair share thing doesn't always work out.

but by charging them more, you ARE punishing them. "do well and we will take more of your profits" is what you are saying. that simply isnt right. instead of looking for ways to increase taxes, we should look at ways to decrease our budget. welfare, medicare, or any other govt program that just gives out money for no reason should be ceased immediately. then restrictions should be placed on who can receive that money. its bull@!#$ the way they treat our tax money. but thats a bit of a tangent that i dont plan on getting into...

Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:59 AM on j-body.org
so then when companies lose millions because of the econemy the next year, does that mean we should give them money. if we tax them on the money they make shouldn't we give them money if their on the negative side? if i dont make any money this year, i dont get taxed. if company x a billion dollar company doesnt make any money this year they will still be taxed im sure.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search