changing the bible - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: changing the bible
Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:55 PM on j-body.org
http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2005-07-08-sheep-suicide_x.htm

Christianity always makes me think of this article... lol

Thursday, September 10, 2009 11:31 PM on j-body.org
Who cares if they change it? It's always been a fiction novel anyways.

-Markus
2002 Yellow Cavalier LS Sport
Check it out! --> Flickr

Thursday, September 10, 2009 11:49 PM on j-body.org
"fiction novel" = has the most copies of original scripture than any other piece
of literature ever + more copies were copied far closer to the actual events,
than any other recorded literature... huh?

"fiction novel" = still is proving itself to countless professionals(scientists,
historians) on a daily basis... huh?

As a christian I don't really like to pull out the "Expelled" card... but, ...
ahhhh, never mind I won't bring it up... you are right 100% fiction...
has never proven itself true and complete to anyone...

Friday, September 11, 2009 4:31 AM on j-body.org
Fashionable today to be anti-religion or an atheist. Gives oneself a feeling of being very cerebral. Not to mention, if I say I don't believe in God 100x, then I can go through life being an alcoholic potsmoking fornicator, and not have to think there may be the ultimate consequence....

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Friday, September 11, 2009 5:23 AM on j-body.org
ahhh scott . your assuming im an athiest alcoholic potsmoking fonicater because i posed a question ? religion has surely done you well hasn't it my boy. just because i dont believe in religion doesnt mean i dont believe in god. i drink maybe once a year, dont smoke pot or do any drugs ive had my belives for probaly 25 years now.

brian. your stating facts because they were in a book. by that belief i belief sam ate green eggs and ham. i can change entire meanings of a sentance by changing 1 single letter. they are talking about changing roughly 10% of this holy book. this is the basis of their entire religion. kinda like saying your an art enthusiest and want to change the mona lisa, give her better smile and some glasses. somethign so sacred should't be changed. that was supposed to be Thee book. the religion. came down by gods hand so to speak. and now you have these guys that are just changing it up to suit their needs. beleive in god. but dont believe in the book. it is a book of good stories. you say that the core issues are still there but yet you have one religion that believes you should fear god and repent, and your a sinner, you have another religion that beleives god loves you and he is a loving god then you have another religon that beleives you need to walk across a floor strewn with rattlesnake and if you get bit its gods way os saying your not worthy. all of these people BELEIVE they know what that book means.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, September 11, 2009 6:36 AM on j-body.org
Sndsgood, I wasn't referencing you specifically. Just the whole fad of being "against organized religion" atheism etc.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Friday, September 11, 2009 9:49 AM on j-body.org
gotcha.

i dont nessicarily think its a fad, just in the last several years your starting to hear about it more. thats the internet for ya.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, September 11, 2009 11:09 PM on j-body.org
the funny thing, which i bet u didn't know is ur point about miss mona is...
there are said to be up to 150 different versions of that painting changed
over and over again until it was right, one on top of the other on the same canvas...
or not even right just finished enough...
not trying to draw anything else out of it other than that...
just debunking the whole mona theory...

the other cool thing i've started to realize is this whole big bang theory(has
never happened more than once, contradicts every scientific law to date) and
darwin stuff(macro evolution has never occurred, just micro evolution) will be
completely abandoned in our life time, as scientists are starting to put 2
and 2 together and realizing that they've had it wrong for nearly 150 years...
i just think that's cool to have something like that happen within our life time...
that's pretty cool...

fyi nobody has been walking across snake pits since the Salem witch trials...
good try though... God should be feared, He should be loved because He loves
us... yes we are sinners... with a destination after this life... where that destination
is, is 100% up to us... but it is our responsibility to help keep as many dying
(spiritually) out of hell and help them find their way to Heaven...

Also, taking events and facts from the Bible is a great source... scientists are
proving it more and more accurate everyday... so, yeah the Bible works great for
things like that... that's all for now... Love u all and long live the crappy 2200!!!!

Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:21 AM on j-body.org
actually there are smaller religous group that had people walking with snakes just a few years ago. a child was bit and died from it and it created all sorts of controversy. it was all over the news

for the mona, thats intresting, was it just redone by the origonal painter, or was it done by diffrent people over the years?

as for the big bang. whats the estimated time frame for big bangs? maybe one isn't do for another 200 years. or maybe another 20000 years. i doubt they'd have a certain timeframe.

Saturday, September 12, 2009 9:41 AM on j-body.org
Leonardo da Vinci began painting the Mona Lisa in 1503, during the Italian Renaissance and, according to Vasari, "after he had lingered over it four years, left it unfinished...."He is thought to have continued to work on it for three years after he moved to France and to have finished it shortly before he died in 1519. taken from Wiki

had to have put down many strokes... of which he had to have changed over the years... i couldn't find the same web page as before, for the right number they came up with during their infrared scan they performed... but yeah... took him upwards of seven years...

as for the "small groups" that perform that sorta thing... yes they are wrong no where in the Bible does it say in context to walk thru snakes...

as far as the big bang theory goes it's being dis-proved because 1.) there is now something already in existence(matter) 2.) it's been "billion and billions" of years since the first(only) big bang 3.)(my own opinion) the real big bang was Genesis 1:1

Saturday, September 12, 2009 10:52 AM on j-body.org
Just something about changing the word of god,revelation 22:18,19.Society is always gonna change,ppl are always gonna change,but the word of god shouldn't ,you cant form god,god forms us.Funny thing about human nature,we get a lil knowledge,wisdom,understanding in any thing and we think we know it all.But alot of ppl just run on their feelings,emotions, and form a belief system about god.Well i ' FEEL' about it this way,and all a person runs on is their feelings,you cant make a good judgment with feelings,just messes things up,got to have fact,proof,info,to make a belief stand.And as far as snakes are concerned,mark 16:15-18. And acts 28:3-6. Just a few scripts of how faith should work.

Saturday, September 12, 2009 1:30 PM on j-body.org
Gentlemen,

Faith is some times hard for people that don't believe in what they can't touch, see, or feel. With that said I didn't grow up going to church or even having religion in my life. Did I always believe that there was a God? Yes. Did I pursue Him and His word? Not until my late twenties. I called upon God to take away the hardship that I carried and to forgive me for the things I've done. In that single moment and ever since I have been at peace.

I would like to share this video with you all. I delt with four of the five "issues" that the girl deals with in this skit. This gives a visual of what God does for us when we call upon Him.
http://www.tangle.com/view_video.php?viewkey=139f9c4c0036b123ee12
Hope the link works.......enjoy.
Saturday, September 12, 2009 11:18 PM on j-body.org
blue02zee24, context, context, context... Rev. 22:18-19, in context, thee, thou
and all the other hard stuff that confuses many christians and keeps many
from becoming christians are simple changed to better understand and live
out the Bible... if you really wanna read the untouched version of God's word...
learn Greek and Hebrew... but, i doubt anyone would do that compared to
driving down to their local christian store and buying something there...about
the snakes... first paul was never biten(never said in scripture for sure) in
context that event was simply stating, that the people of Malta were idol
worshippers... hence lower case god in the end of verse 6... as for the verse
set from Mark... some of the original manuscripts didn't even include it...
other than that i see your here in Mo, what part?

Paul, it's great to see another christian on here representing... for a while
there I thought I was the only one... I do to love that video you posted...
but i'm kinda biased, since i've performed it before... here are some
other great videos i've come to love over the days...

God's Chisle, Skit Guys Christian Battle Cry
hopefully those two show some contrast in the different types of christians out there...

Sunday, September 13, 2009 6:45 AM on j-body.org
OMG... I have a feeling i'll have to print all of this out and read it instead... theres just too much here.....

I get the idea of the argument though...

I have a question.....

Why cant we just accept the fact that there is no evidence to what happens to us when we die..... and we just live our lives doing what we think we should and whatever beliefs we have...... and just cross our fingers and hope we did a good job when the inevitable comes?

I mean... whats gunna happen is gunna happen.... theres nothing you can do about it..... do who really cares if jesus was really the son of god or not..... just be a good person... enjoy life.... and see what happens afterward.... if your going to spend every life preparing for the next one.... whats the point of doing it at all?

Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:47 AM on j-body.org
Weebel,

Don't take this as being sarcastic, but your way of thinking is the "free will" that is given to us by God. You are free to believe what and how you want, but in the end...........

I have a freind that thinks the same way. He's 50 and an ex-military Sgt. He did have a strange experience when in the military that totally changed his mind about religion. It scared him to where he wanted nothing to do with it. I've tried to explain to him that it's not that way and what he witnessed was not of God.

Are Christians perfect? No. We are human too and make mistakes. My friend has told me that he's surrounded by hypocrites and it is making it pretty hard for me to convince him that just because you go to church that you can't make mistakes. Granted that there are a lot of people that do what they want through the week and think that just because they go to church on Sunday everything is ok.

Try to see with your heart and not your eyes.

Paul
Sunday, September 13, 2009 10:16 AM on j-body.org
brian warren wrote:Paul, it's great to see another christian on here representing... for a while
there I thought I was the only one... I do to love that video you posted...
but i'm kinda biased, since i've performed it before... here are some
other great videos i've come to love over the days...

God's Chisle, Skit Guys Christian Battle Cry
hopefully those two show some contrast in the different types of christians out there...

You've performed it before? Thats too cool. I'd love to see it in person some day. I showed it to my preacher, youth group leader, and some members.......there were tears flowing from every eye. With the visual it gives, it hits home. They showed it to the whole youth group during their bible camp.

I've seen "Gods Chisle" before and it's a really good vid too. First time I've seen "Christian Battle Cry". That was a pretty cool representation of the bible (sword).

I don't know why so many people are opposed or afraid to believe anymore.
Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:18 PM on j-body.org
one example I always love to use...
Quote:

Why cant we just accept the fact that there is no evidence to what happens to us when we die..... and we just live our lives doing what we think we should and whatever beliefs we have...... and just cross our fingers and hope we did a good job when the inevitable comes?

I mean... whats gunna happen is gunna happen.... theres nothing you can do about it..... do who really cares if jesus was really the son of god or not..... just be a good person... enjoy life.... and see what happens afterward.... if your going to spend every life preparing for the next one.... whats the point of doing it at all?

My question, what if you live your entire life sold out to God, saved by the grace of His Son, Jesus Christ, and come to find out when you die He never existed? You lived a good life... But, what if you live your whole life thinking, "I do pretty good for myself and I don't make bad choices, I don't need to worry" and come to find out when you die that He is real... what are the costs your willing to spend? A life time of servitude here? or an eternity away from the One who made you? Just a question I like to ask people... What if?

Paul, I also have performed the God's Chisel... and i have done another skit, but i can't seem to remember the name of it to look it up... it involves a guy and Jesus hangin' out in the living room of the guy, watching tv, listening to radio, talking to his GF on the phone... it ends w/ the guy trying to leave to see his GF w/ Jesus following him... the guy finally nails Jesus down to the couch and says "leave me alone for a lil while... i can't handle you following me everywhere..." visually it's pretty intense...

Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:14 PM on j-body.org
brian warren wrote:
... it involves a guy and Jesus hangin' out in the living room of the guy, watching tv, listening to radio, talking to his GF on the phone... it ends w/ the guy trying to leave to see his GF w/ Jesus following him... the guy finally nails Jesus down to the couch and says "leave me alone for a lil while... i can't handle you following me everywhere..." visually it's pretty intense...

Woa!! That does sound intense and would be very interresting to see. I'd love to see it.
Monday, September 14, 2009 4:57 AM on j-body.org
"My question, what if you live your entire life sold out to God, saved by the grace of His Son, Jesus Christ, and come to find out when you die He never existed? You lived a good life... But, what if you live your whole life thinking, "I do pretty good for myself and I don't make bad choices, I don't need to worry" and come to find out when you die that He is real... what are the costs your willing to spend? A life time of servitude here? or an eternity away from the One who made you? Just a question I like to ask people... What if?"

what if you spend your whole life beliving, then get up there and its buddha hanging out, and he's like sorry dude, you believed in the wrong dude. you could do what if's for everything little thing out there. but this is really getting off topic, the topic was changing the bible. i could really care less about an argument on wether he exists or not.

just to me if you truly believed that this was gods words handed down that you would fight to your dying breath to keep it how it was origonally written. it just seems like the church's way of making it easier on themselves. changing what was said to be gods will just so you can have it more comfortable. that doesnt sound like a true religion. it sounds like your making a religion up just to fit your speacial needs and ignoring the part of the religion you feel is to hard to do. to me it makes about as much sence as taking a math test and then going, well im not liking questions 5,6,9 and 11 so im not going to do those questions, just judge me on what ive done.

Monday, September 14, 2009 6:33 AM on j-body.org
the point that sndsgood is making or has brought up is very solid there are a few key things that we need not overlook:

1. the Word of God reveals in Genesis 6:5 that the heart of man is wicked always, so from the beginning it is proven that our natural mind or natural heart is not going to do right in the eyes of God because the intentions are not aligned with His will. To change up the way the Bible is written, is dangerous, people see the corruption in the church whether it be the Catholic church or the Christian church and if the Word was intended to be written a certain way for His purpose than who are we as men/women to decide (vote, whatever process they used) it is time to change the way the Word is written.

2. the Word of God is also not to be taken so literally when they refer to "man" in scriptures It is not referring to males only, it is referring to mankind, so that reasoning to change it to make it more "gender specific" or "gender sensitive" is ridiculous to say that at the least.

3. His Word also states to be watchful for wolves in sheeps clothing, those with the classical outlook of good intentions but what they seek to do defiles the Word of God and since this is so, we need not judge things like this, but see how it plays out first. The reason I say that is because we don't know if the Lord is leading them to do that or not, it may be in His will or it may be someone stepping out of their lane.

as a Believer I am not speaking as someone who doesn't struggle or have issues, shoot half the time I'm on here I'm goofing around or whatever the case may be, but if I don't take heed of my mistakes and continue on that path, than God will judge me for that. Just like He will to those people being discussed, if they are out of order, and go forward with this idea and don't recognize it as transgression (if it is one) than they will be judged for that.

"I've got veins, that carry blood all over my bady"
Monday, September 14, 2009 6:53 AM on j-body.org
"My question, what if you live your entire life sold out to God, saved by the grace of His Son, Jesus Christ, and come to find out when you die He never existed? You lived a good life... But, what if you live your whole life thinking, "I do pretty good for myself and I don't make bad choices, I don't need to worry" and come to find out when you die that He is real... what are the costs your willing to spend? A life time of servitude here? or an eternity away from the One who made you? Just a question I like to ask people... What if?"

If God is such a great being then it should not matter if you spend your life "sold out to god". I dont go to church, dont spend my life worshiping a being that my not exist, and still manage to live a decent life. My parents raised me with a decent set of morals and beliefs that i still stick to. I know plenty of people that go to church every week and claim that it makes them better of a person than non church goers yet they apparently live by a much looser set of morals. So these people should be allowed in yet others that live a better life should not?

Now all that being said, I do not deny that there may be a God but I do not just blindly believe that one exists.

Monday, September 14, 2009 7:14 AM on j-body.org
mitdr774 wrote:"My question, what if you live your entire life sold out to God, saved by the grace of His Son, Jesus Christ, and come to find out when you die He never existed? You lived a good life... But, what if you live your whole life thinking, "I do pretty good for myself and I don't make bad choices, I don't need to worry" and come to find out when you die that He is real... what are the costs your willing to spend? A life time of servitude here? or an eternity away from the One who made you? Just a question I like to ask people... What if?"

If God is such a great being then it should not matter if you spend your life "sold out to god". I dont go to church, dont spend my life worshiping a being that my not exist, and still manage to live a decent life. My parents raised me with a decent set of morals and beliefs that i still stick to. I know plenty of people that go to church every week and claim that it makes them better of a person than non church goers yet they apparently live by a much looser set of morals. So these people should be allowed in yet others that live a better life should not?

Now all that being said, I do not deny that there may be a God but I do not just blindly believe that one exists.

To answer your question no, they wont be allowed into heaven and hell will be their reward, the reason being is that as a believer/christian however people like to put it if someone professes Christ as Lord and Savior but they dont take on the likeness of what they claim, simply put that is hypocrosy. Hypocrites just water down the Gospel and believe (even though they may not say it) that since they are "saved," than they can live and do whatever they want and still go to church on Sunday or still participate in Lent. The thing about that which is so wrong is that, that person is only doing the religious things, how can someone go to church and not be changed by the presence of God, live un-Godly lifestyle and claim that God is with them and expect you to see that "this is what I need to do to get my life right" those people do nothing more than deter people from getting to know Christ, those are the same people we get their ashes on their forehead, go through lent saying "i'm going to give this, I'll stop smoking, I wont eat chocolate I'll give up something I know I can let go of" but my question to that mind-set is what about that bad attitude, that foul mouth, the sexual immoralities, the anger issues, the depression issues, the dependcy problems (not always a drug but on other people/things or even yourself), materialism, idolatry. A hypocritcal wont own up to those issues and many others, but they will through their belief in your face, but you wont see any change, or any thing that will make you desire to seek the God they claim, all they are showing you is a bunch of mess. They make a lifestyle a religious habit, and these people get cast down with the rest of them, because they know the Truth.

Monday, September 14, 2009 1:19 PM on j-body.org
that'd always been one of my issues. i see all these people (no not every one of them.) who go to church, believe in god, pray, have been baptized or what have you and lead pathetic lives. cheat, steal, treat people like crap etc etc. and they believe that since they believe in god and heaven and what-have you that they are going to heaven, and that i would be going to hell. i think if there is a god he'd look at me and then look at the other person and open the door for me and then send some of them to hell.

some beleive that hitler is in heaven because he was very passionate about his faith, all men are sinners right? and all sins are equal? so what hitler did is no diffrent then say some guy sleeping around on his wife in god's eyes. so even though hitler was "evil" acccording to some people (shall i say most) he could be in heaven because of his belief in god, and that to me seems like not so cool a heaven.

when i bring this up most people will tend to backpedal and say he's in hell because they believe he's a bad man so he must be in hell. but if he had the same beliefs as the catholics and christians, and truly belived that what he was doing was for a good pourpose then how could he be in hell? religion on a whole seems to be a whole lot of back and forth on what happens based on the person you talk to. it always seems to vary. but people always believe that their way of thinking is always the right way. and everyone else is likely wrong.

Monday, September 14, 2009 1:31 PM on j-body.org
JamwititZ24 wrote:To change up the way the Bible is written, is dangerous, people see the corruption in the church whether it be the Catholic church or the Christian church and if the Word was intended to be written a certain way for His purpose than who are we as men/women to decide (vote, whatever process they used) it is time to change the way the Word is written.
That's the problem with your reasoning right here. As a fellow Christian, I have to point out that you seem to assume that the way the English Language Bible is written today(or should I say the many versions already existing) are "way it was intended to be written." You act like they are changing the original source - which no one is doing(although its very possible the Council of Nicea did exactly that during Christianity's early days). You are talking about a translated version of (hopefully) the original way the word was written.

A translated version - almost by definition - is going to have (even if only slightly) a corrupted message from the original. You just can't translate that and be 100% faithful to the original meanings and intent - because not all languages contain the ability to express certain ideas that another does. Absolutely the only way around this is to learn the original languages it was written in. All these translators are trying to do is to get our translated version just a little closer to the meaning of the original and as such that people who aren't Biblical Scholars can more easily understand the original meaning. "Man" may have been referring to mankind, but no all people who read it as is will interpret it as such. Many people take that "man" quite literal.

Now it you believe that one of the primary purpose of the Bible is to help save those who don't know God's word, and yet expect to give those same people a Bible whose actual meaning isn't as clear in the way its written in English - well think about it. You expect someone to read something, see something written in a way that requires study to truly understand, and be saved from that? Just how many people do you think might read that - and the way its written doesn't make the most sense or just gives off the wrong message - so they decide this book is nonsense? You just lost an opportunity to save a soul... and for what? For some odd notion that as it is written now is exactly "as it was intended" to be written? Just how would you know God's intent for a translation into a language that didn't exist when his word was given to us? You can't and you don't. To admit you don't know something you don't know, that is a sign of humility. We are not called to be arrogant but humble instead.

I'd also note that while we are called to believe in God, we have not been called to believe so strongly in one particular translation of his original word. Think about it. The truth today is that many non-biblical beliefs (often times political) are integrated into Churches in America - this is only a tiny example. But the broader trend sickens me..

Monday, September 14, 2009 5:44 PM on j-body.org
oh, no I did not mean it that way i mean look at the grand scheme of it, so many things are lost in translation, how much further will things get lost if we are someone "updates" it. the thing that i come against is simply what is the inspiration behind it? are they led to do it by God or is it someone just thinking oh its time to make another translation just cause. the point i was trying to make is that with all the corruption that we see in the church system today it is a bit scary to lean on one faction when they have proven to be suspect. I dont want anyone thinking i'm arrogant cause i'm not lol if that was wht you where saying. but yeah i was basing it around how jacked up things can be and have been by the church this decade.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search