Right Makes Might? How the GOP is surrendering to extremism - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Right Makes Might? How the GOP is surrendering to extremism
Tuesday, November 03, 2009 7:24 PM on j-body.org
No one said abandon the base. Well, except you.

My opinion is clear. I think the GOP's in deep @!#$ if they don't improve recruiting and disassociate themselves from right-wing extremism.

So, the new voters will come from....?

Tuesday, November 03, 2009 7:36 PM on j-body.org
it is a proven fact that the older people get, the more they identify with conservative ideals. however, whether they will identify with the new republican party remains to be seen. for now, libertarianism is on the rise.

Check out my build thread!

Tuesday, November 03, 2009 7:45 PM on j-body.org
Yes we know you think republicans are in deep roomy. Get that part. I guess well get our voters at the voter store, since we don't have taxpayer funded community organizing groups bamboozling door-to-door. I dunno bill, where doe one find a voter? People don't change much politically. To change their position is to admit being wrong, and people are like the Fonz... Can't say wrrrrrr. Wrrrrrr.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Tuesday, November 03, 2009 7:48 PM on j-body.org
BREAKING NEWS!

GOP sweep: Big governor victories in Virginia, NJ

Please pardon my glee, but this outcome PROVES the value of moderates in the future of the Republican party.

Tuesday, November 03, 2009 8:15 PM on j-body.org
That's great news. No one says moderates and independents aren't important, and I've already laid out my thinking on how to persuade them. Now the bugaboo....where do we find them?

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Wednesday, November 04, 2009 4:24 AM on j-body.org
ive gotta side with bill on this one. the hard core valued republicans are allready voting republican. if a hardcore republican is pissed that his guys are going more towards the center meaning now hard core repuclican enough for their likes they sure arn't going to vote dem. they will vote the same and just be dissapointed about it. the only real voter base you have is those in the middle. the ones that will sway back and forth from side to side depending on who it is and what there stance is. so to pull in those voters you will have to go with a more moderate approach to pull them into the fold so to speak. its great to say get back to your values and everything, but if your not getting your guy elected it really doesnt matter what your stance is because youlle never be in power to make any change.

now joey's view is that hed prefer the republicans to stay to the far right and the dems to stay on the hard left so maybe there can be a 3rd choice come in. and i agree, i think if more people voted for the independants maybe a new 3rd party can be started and throw a big wrench into the whole rep/dem war that is going on.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, November 04, 2009 5:14 AM on j-body.org
That wrench was thrown yesterday in NY. Hoffman. True conservatives will cost republicans election to punish them if they try to fence straddle their way back into office. I don't believe for a second that voters in NJ and VA yesterday got religion and voted republican. I believe that they are disgusted with big spending/bailout policies and voted republican based on that basis. No move to the middle was warranted to sweeten the deal here.

Maybe in a couple of years, well see a sky-is-falling thread, about how to save the democratic party that has bedded down with leftwing extremism?

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 9:49 AM on j-body.org
It would be interesting to know just what group "swung" these elections. But I'd be willing to bet it was those in the middle, as alluded to in the news coverage

Ah, a Voice of Reason. Thank you New Jerseyites, for not lockstepping with Washington. State power rules!

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 1:04 PM on j-body.org
Moderate voters are the 'big breasts' of politics. Everybody can't to get their hands on them, but once you gottem, it's a pain on the rear to keep em happy, cuz there's always a fickle new womderbra just around the corner to promise them something new and exciting.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 1:24 PM on j-body.org
Sad you feel that in a nation of 300 million, there can only be two sides. Sad indeed.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 1:43 PM on j-body.org
thats what you get with a 2 party system, complete party loyalty.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 1:48 PM on j-body.org
I know. It's hard for some to even realize that there may well be more than two positions of viable thought.

Here, Scotta portrays moderates as rudderless, without conviction, adrift until they throw down with their next extreme. Yuck! They are so much more.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 4:11 PM on j-body.org
You just refuse to get it bill. Honestly.... Moderates will flock to the shinyest bauble of prospective financial prosperity. It sounds demeaning because it is.

Fiscally conservative + morally liberal.....with the fiscal part usually the deal maker/breaker.
Simple as that. Ain't gonna please everyone though.

The repubs don't need to move to the center on social issues to attract these folks. Why? Cuz the dems ain't ging ground on fiscal issues or moral/social issues. You may scrounge up a bluedog here and there, but the party as a whole is defined by their liberal fiscal/moral platform.

Repubs on the other hand just need to actually walk the fiscally conservative talk. When the breas....moderates see the sticktoittiveness, they'll vote republican.

And one can be a moderate repub/dem. IF your district holds to those views or if they are the lesser of two evils.
Obama carried NJ but the dems lost the gov yesterday...with independents pushing the repubs over the top....primarily due to their anger at the economic situation there. Christie didn't have to carry a purse or invite elton Jon to lunch to get it done either.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 7:16 PM on j-body.org
I "refuse to get it", said the extremist. Do I refuse to get that you say middle-of-the-roaders are somehow weak and lack direction? You bet I do. Scott, you may have some good points, but understanding diversity is not one of them.

I've shown the math. Over and over. I've shown the victories, driven by the moderates. I've shown it all, and you've shown...an insistence that you must be right.

You can try to avoid the point. You can try to avoid the result. You can't avoid the truth.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 7:43 PM on j-body.org
Then bill, maybe instead of griping about it, vote third party. Next election, you go out and show them and vote libertarian, Green, reform party etc.....ain't gonna happen is it bill? Don't want to waste a vote?

I'm not scrolling back to check who said it, but if you don't have the votes to change a party, then don't expect the party to change just to make you feel welcome. Like it or not, republicans likely will not swing to the center on much of anything.

Best bet you have is "teaching them a lesson" and voting indie/dem... Shake it up. Let your moderate voice of the people be heard. I swear I'm talking to goodwrench now.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 8:27 PM on j-body.org
thats exactly why libertarians continue to gain ground on both parties.

Thursday, November 05, 2009 6:28 AM on j-body.org

Who would have ever thought,

Stick to the fuc-king Constitution!?

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Thursday, November 05, 2009 8:25 AM on j-body.org
ScottaWhite wrote:Then bill, maybe instead of griping about it, vote third party. Next election, you go out and show them and vote libertarian, Green, reform party etc.....ain't gonna happen is it bill? Don't want to waste a vote?

I'm not scrolling back to check who said it, but if you don't have the votes to change a party, then don't expect the party to change just to make you feel welcome. Like it or not, republicans likely will not swing to the center on much of anything.

Best bet you have is "teaching them a lesson" and voting indie/dem... Shake it up. Let your moderate voice of the people be heard. I swear I'm talking to goodwrench now.

Let me get that straight. You are calling ME a griper? LOL, you are funneee!

I don't know that my voting preferences are really germane to this discussion, as it is about the GOP's prospects (read thread title again), not me. Nonetheless, never fear...I choose carefully. I've not voted a straight party ticket in years. Ya know, this may actually be your latest "no-duh" moment, in that guess who's likely to vote the middle? (read my screen name again while mentally reviewing my overall position).

GOP don't need to change to please me. GOP need to alter its approach to survive. On that note, you've rather slid into endless-loop repetition...let's please now allow someone else get a post in edgewise.

Thursday, November 05, 2009 1:33 PM on j-body.org
Why are they called "swing voters" then? Cuz they swing both ways, depending what's on the buffet. If they didn't do that, they wouldn't be swing voters.... They'd belong to a particular party. Free agent voters if you will.

Friday, November 06, 2009 5:13 AM on j-body.org
ScottaWhite wrote:Why are they called "swing voters" then? Cuz they swing both ways, depending what's on the buffet. If they didn't do that, they wouldn't be swing voters.... They'd belong to a particular party. Free agent voters if you will.

their called swing voters becase they arn't registered repulicans and they arn't registered democrats, so the media and politicians don't know which way they go. that doesnt mean the voter will go either way, it means those that are trying to guess what they will do have no clue who they will vote for so they call them a swing vote because they cant count on their vote....... that doesnt mean they are flip floppers or run to shiny objects, it means that they are the people that are more inclined to vote for those they feel will do the better job and not just vote straight rep. or straight dem regardless of who is running. i know people that vote straight rep. who are so called swing voters because there not registered republicans. they dont swing or flip flop. but they would still be categorized that way.

take me for example. i lean towards the republican side of things. but im not a regestered republican. if a republican i dont like is up agains a democrat who i know can do a good job then i'll vote for the repulican. im not going to put someoen in office just because someone stamped repulican on their forhead.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, November 06, 2009 6:49 AM on j-body.org
I dont vote straight ticket either.

I just don't think their is some JR Tolkenesque quest needed to save the republican party. If the party is in total disarray as is suggested in this thread, then we'll see what happens in 2010.

Wednesday, December 02, 2009 5:35 AM on j-body.org
LOL. It's interesting to come back after not being around for a while and reading up on some of the hilarity that has been posted over the past month.

Bill, you are so far off base in your conclusion, yet you exude arrogance and condescension in every post you make, all while claiming all the mud-slinging is on the side of your opposition in the argument.

You have one single thing correct here: the moderates swing votes are where the wins come from. However, where you're way off is in the notion that to get these people, the Republicans need to soften their principles and swing to the middle, as you claim. They have been attempting to please the middle and even the left over the past decade, and look where it got them. The "dated" Contract With America was when the party united on first principles, and made it clear where they stood. Following that, the Republicans enjoyed much political success. It was only when they started losing their way that they started losing votes. Once they started losing the votes, many of them made the mistake of thinking they had to pander to the people they were losing to get them back, when in fact they were losing them because of the lack of principles. It's kind of the same principle as borrowing your way out of debt, or gambling your way out of a hole when you're down at the Black Jack table.

The other thing that I continue to find hilarious, is your repetition of the idea that the Republicans are extreme right, particularly at the moment. They have swung so far left, that we haven't had any real conservatism in years, so when anyone starts actually talking like a conservative again, people call it extreme. You have either fallen for the rhetoric, or you just don't realise how far to the left you may really be. The funny thing is that when you jumped back into this forum a few months ago, I got the distinct impression that you were conservative, and reasonable. Over the course of debates, you've made it clear that you see yourself as the only enlightened one here; a moderate among a group of extremists. You get so wrapped up in your belief in this, that you put everything you read here into a preconceived package, and find a way to make it fit. You miss the points on many occasions, and respond to the idea you think someone has in their head. You may want to try stepping back and considering things more objectively, rather than reading things with the idea that you already know where the person is coming from.

Wednesday, December 02, 2009 8:53 PM on j-body.org
And the new voters will come from...? Right you are...the middle.

GOP needs to rope in its extremist animals. It scares too many moderates off. That's all. Point of thread. They'll benefit as a party if they distance themselves from far-rightist-rhetoric.

You know what's I think indicates arrogance and condescencion? Calling people arrogant and condescending Boy, sure am glad I never did!

But, you know what's even more arrogant and condescending? Being away for a month, then coming back...and rather than try to pick up the action by being a team player with an insightful and thoughtful post, instead acting like your sh!t don't stink. Wad.

Thursday, December 03, 2009 3:24 AM on j-body.org
Moderate Voice of the People wrote:You know what's I think indicates arrogance and condescencion? Calling people arrogant and condescending Boy, sure am glad I never did!

But, you know what's even more arrogant and condescending? Being away for a month, then coming back...and rather than try to pick up the action by being a team player with an insightful and thoughtful post, instead acting like your sh!t don't stink. Wad.

(in other words) "I know you are, but what am I?"

Good answer, Bill. Also, thanks for offering more supporting exhibits for my previous post.

Friday, December 04, 2009 9:14 AM on j-body.org
Way to only quote the part about you, and leave the substantive point alone. Again. Oh, if you would, a favor...would you mind taking the words I did NOT type out of your quotey box?

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings so before you "left", but if you think chasing me from thread to thread and whining about me proves you are NOT a wad, well....it's not working. Well, then again...maybe it's working for you. However, it's merely a source of giggles for everyone else.

Now, if you're done with your personal crusade, I'll restate my points; the ones pertinent to the thread's title. You may feel free to either address them, or further enhance your Wad status. Keep it real, don't let your feelings get hurt to the extent you feel compelled to reduce yourself to personal attacks, and we may have a decent thread again. You made a couple of decent points above, but you obliterated their impact by accompanying them with crying. Feel free to re-present them in a more appropriate context. I'll overloook the mulligan.

GOP needs to rope in its extremist animals. It scares too many moderates off. That's all. Point of thread. They'll benefit as a party if they distance themselves from far-rightist-rhetoric.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Friday, December 04, 2009 10:20 AM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search