Obama Appoints Gifted Educator - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Obama Appoints Gifted Educator
Wednesday, December 09, 2009 9:29 PM on j-body.org
I am very proud of the Obama administration for its tolerance and foresight in appointing an openly gay man to this post, despite the efforts of gay-bashers to prevent it. His work and accolades speak volumes of his capability!

Kevin Jennings, founder of the GLSEN
Ana Marie Cox on Fox's Treatment of Kevin Jennings: They’re Persecuting Someone Because He’s Gay

In 1993, Jennings was named a Joseph Klingenstein Fellow at Columbia University's Teachers College, from which he received his master's degree in interdisciplinary studies in education in 1994. In 1994 he wrote Becoming Visible: A Reader in Gay & Lesbian History for High School and College Students, the "first book of its kind" for a high school audience. Jennings moved GLSTN to New York to accompany his studying, and decided to make the organization national in scope. In doing so, he also changed its name to the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN), to give it a broader focus. The organization seeks to end discrimination, harassment, and bullying based on sexual orientation and gender identity. In both 1995 and 1996 Jennings was in Out magazine's list of "Top 100 Newsmakers and Earthshakers".

In 1997, Newsweek magazine named Jennings to its "Century Club" of people likely to make a difference in the 21st century. Jennings earned an M.B.A. from New York University's Stern School of Business in 1999. By that year, GLSEN was headquartered in the Chelsea, Manhattan neighborhood of New York City and had a staff of 18 and budget of $2.5 million.

In 1998 he won the Lambda Literary Award in the Children's/Young Adult category for his book Telling Tales Out of School. He has published six books on gay rights and education. His works have described his own past as a closeted gay student.

In July 2004, Jennings received the National Education Association (NEA)'s Virginia Uribe Award for Creative Leadership in Human Rights. NEA Republican Educators Caucus chairwoman Diane Lenning protested the award because—by her reading of a story in Jennings' book One Teacher in 10—she thought he broke Massachusetts law in 1988 by not reporting a sixteen-year-old gay high school student's relationship with an older man. Three days later, the caucus ousted Lenning as chairwoman over her stance against gays, and later that month The Washington Times published a letter from Jennings saying the accusations were hurtful, inaccurate and potentially libelous. CNN subsequently confirmed that the student was above the age of consent in Massachusetts and not sexually active. The incident resurfaced in 2009 as part of a conservative campaign against Jennings' appointment to head the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Safe and Drug-Free Schools.

Jennings is a lifelong, avid ice hockey fan, who has played in the New York City Gay Hockey Association. In 2005, he suffered a near-fatal heart attack after a game, but he recovered and returned to the ice in 2007. In 2008, Jennings spoke out against the practice of homophobic chants from fans at New York Rangers home games, and stopped his practice of regularly attending their games for about a month. Jennings and the director of the Gay Hockey Association met with officials of the Rangers and Madison Square Garden but failed to get much action from them.

Jennings stepped down as head of GLSEN as of August 2008. By then, GLSEN had two regional offices and a staff of 40, and there were gay-straight alliances in over 3,700 schools registered to GLSEN.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, December 09, 2009 9:30 PM

Re: Obama Appoints Gifted Educator
Wednesday, December 09, 2009 11:03 PM on j-body.org
somebody pissed because he can't refute the claims made in another post?

Check out my build thread!

Wednesday, December 09, 2009 11:10 PM on j-body.org
LOL, I just decided that thread's source material was biased lameness personified. So I made another one just as lame in the other direction.

Somewhere between the threads lies the actual truth. Yep, in the Middle!

Wednesday, December 09, 2009 11:16 PM on j-body.org
more fuel to the fire:

Kevin Jennings

the bottom article is the best part of it.

Check out my build thread!

Wednesday, December 09, 2009 11:37 PM on j-body.org
OMG! That belongs on the OTHER hopelessly biased thread!

You realize, sir, that this kind of meddling with the partisan fabric can lead to cataclysmic events unfolding? Dear GOD, man!

Thursday, December 10, 2009 5:15 AM on j-body.org
A fag with kids?

guess it could be worse, could be a priest

I have allways wanted to ask one of them, what it was like to be another mans bitch. (the fag\ pole smoker)

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:12 AM on j-body.org
No need to call someone a fag. I don't agree that being a homosexual is the same as being black/Hispanic. ( so it isn't a minority thing). It's just rude.

Don't pretend this is anything other than sleight of hand bill. You can be a gifted educator and still be a bad person. Also, I'm assuming his long list of accomplishments here, are true. The fact that they are listed on a biased website, doesn't make them untrue now does it? True dat. Just like a rightie site that reports him hosting a conference in which workshops..... Well you get the point....I hope.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:55 AM on j-body.org
Yes, I am rude to them, but my care factor is not there.

just like the hojies

ya know?

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:25 PM on j-body.org
ScottaWhite wrote:No need to call someone a fag. I don't agree that being a homosexual is the same as being black/Hispanic. ( so it isn't a minority thing). It's just rude.

Don't pretend this is anything other than sleight of hand bill. You can be a gifted educator and still be a bad person. Also, I'm assuming his long list of accomplishments here, are true. The fact that they are listed on a biased website, doesn't make them untrue now does it? True dat. Just like a rightie site that reports him hosting a conference in which workshops..... Well you get the point....I hope.

Well of course it's sleight of hand...it's a trick designed to make one think, and perhaps also draw information from a variety of sources instead of just one biased site.

You will find, if you research the man further, that many of the "sick acts" he stands blamed of are incorrectly attributed to him. But, of course, the right-sight myopia sites don't show that...they just make broad associations, then gloss over the actual lack of a direct connection.

The guy's no freak. He's being blasted for one reason..he's homosexual, and all the rest is a smokescreen to fcuk your mind over. Looks like it's working!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:58 PM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search