Since we are looking at 2 years, 7 months until the 2012 elections, here's my predictions for the next 31 months:
1) President Obama will initially indicate that he is leaning toward the most liberal, activist judge on the face of the planet, to replace Stevens. Of course, Republicans will not agree to play nice + will threaten to "bork" the nominee. Of course, this initial choice had no chance of making the cut, so he'll offer up an olive branch of his second choice: An african-american nominee, with slightly more centrist views. Not a moderate mind you...just less liberal that choice number 1.
2) Dear Leader will attempt to demonize republicans again, as being against financial reform, (the too big to fail bill). This bill, in case you didn't know, authorizes the Treasury anywhere from 4 trillion -- to unlimited funds to bailout institutions which, if failed, might adversely affect the economy. The ever waffling Olympia Snowe will appear to be interested in the compromise, but in the end, will declare, "Although I am committed to financial reform, I have serious concerns about key aspects of the bill" Then, something will fail, the economy will take a minor hit, and repubs will be painted as the cause of it.
3) In order to buy republican votes, to secure "Cap N' Trade", before the 2010 mid term elections, key Senators will be granted Federal money to build nuclear and/or clean coal technology power plants in their home state. These senators will accept the deals, and cap n' trade will pass, albeit in a much altered form.
4) Immigration reform will be presented to us as a compassionate, but ultimately "cost efficient" alternative to border fences, and hiring thousands of new agents to patrol borders, deport illegal "loving families" etc. However, the American people will not be fooled on this bill, and it won't pass....Largely, because the dems won't get it passed before the 2010 elections, and they will lose enough seats to not be able to ram it through along party lines + Lindsey graham.
5) Finally, as the economy continues to be bogged down, (despite millions of :"saved or created" jobs) and amid personal low approval ratings, an assasination attempt will be made on our Dear Leader. Evidence will point to a right wing extremist group...within hours, they will raid the shooters home, only to find several "assault style" weapons, and best selling books by Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck, Anne Coulter, Sarah Palin, and...... a complete deluxe KKK costume. "Aha, I told you so," will be proclaimed by the left,....
*This list is not intended to be an alpha-omega comprehensive list.
“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
6) If the 2010 Republican power swing occurs as everyone seems to be predicting, they won't do a damn thing to "right" all the "wrongs" the Dems have been "ramming" through (just as the Dems didn't do @!#$ to reverse the bills they whined over under GWB).
fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
7) Won't get fooled again!
As valid now as it was 40 years ago:
(By the way: If you are a drums fan, dig the late Keith Moon's creative work on this classic. He was beyond masterful!)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, April 19, 2010 12:10 PM