As a Floridian... - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
As a Floridian...
Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:39 AM on j-body.org
As a born and raised Floridian I thought I would just send this out there...

DRILL BABY DRILL!!!




Oh @!#$ the Loop Current is pulling it towards us!

Loop Current







How many steps to heaven, Doc?
...Ah, metaphysics.

Re: As a Floridian...
Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:47 AM on j-body.org









How many steps to heaven, Doc?
...Ah, metaphysics.
Re: As a Floridian...
Thursday, May 20, 2010 9:20 AM on j-body.org
Everyone knows modern off-shore drilling is perfectly safe...dumbass.

Gets good about 3 minutes in: http://www.opednews.com/articles/Jon-Stewart-Mocks-Pols-Who-by-the-web-100504-135.html





fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Re: As a Floridian...
Friday, May 21, 2010 10:35 AM on j-body.org
All I'm waiting for is Dick Cheney to express some comments as has been doing ever since he left office. Oh, that's right... his company is involved in this mess, best thing to do... (looking around) keep quiet.



THE POLITICALLY INCORRECT ONE.

Re: As a Floridian...
Friday, May 21, 2010 12:27 PM on j-body.org
I'd just like to know why exactly the Coast Guard is taking it's orders from BP






Re: As a Floridian...
Friday, May 21, 2010 11:57 PM on j-body.org
J03Y wrote:

I'd just like to know why exactly the Coast Guard is taking it's orders from BP


That bothers me too!



How many steps to heaven, Doc?
...Ah, metaphysics.
Re: As a Floridian...
Saturday, May 22, 2010 10:01 AM on j-body.org
A plane crashed in India this morning, should we stop manned flight too?



Re: As a Floridian...
Saturday, May 22, 2010 12:03 PM on j-body.org
Because the administration had their head up their arses on this one and didn't put together the resources to handle a situation. They just taxed them and kept the money instead of preparing their response teams.

Anyone who says the administration was there from the beginning because the coast guard was there should be shot for pure ignorance. The coast guard responds to emergencies and is in now way to be considered the proper government response. They are first responders not technicians.



Re: As a Floridian...
Saturday, May 22, 2010 4:53 PM on j-body.org
zero wrote:

A plane crashed in India this morning, should we stop manned flight too?


Planes don't destroy ecosystems and fishing jobs.





How many steps to heaven, Doc?
...Ah, metaphysics.
Re: As a Floridian...
Saturday, May 22, 2010 4:55 PM on j-body.org
Oh and I'm not saying to stop drilling, I'm just stating a fact that this really blows.





How many steps to heaven, Doc?
...Ah, metaphysics.
Re: As a Floridian...
Friday, May 28, 2010 1:33 AM on j-body.org
I'm surprised how dead this topic became, I work in a master control operations room and have the live feed of the BP cameras. So here is the new topic, a good amount of media has started calling this a 'leak' instead of spill. Which makes sense in one way, but the word 'leak' seems so weak. I know locally we call it the Oil Gusher.





How many steps to heaven, Doc?
...Ah, metaphysics.

Re: As a Floridian...
Friday, May 28, 2010 8:46 AM on j-body.org
BP had the live feed on their website up until a couple days ago.
http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/globalbp/globalbp_uk_english/homepage/STAGING/local_assets/bp_homepage/html/rov_stream.html
They have since moved the ROV with the camera, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything worthwhile.

Agreed though, definitely more than just a 'leak'.




fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Re: As a Floridian...
Friday, May 28, 2010 10:16 AM on j-body.org
Jonathan Pike wrote:

I'm surprised how dead this topic became.

Are you really? You're in a section where the majority here places business on a pedestal and strongly believes they could never-ever do wrong... ten "Hail Marys" if should ever touch them.
These are the same folks that want no government intervention of any kind, but now want the feds to take action on this. (?) Talk about convenience huh.
In the same topic as when certain media calls this a "leak" when it looks like a "gusher." There are certain media that calls this Obama's Katrina (what I heard on the radio.) There is a big obvious differences here between the two. One was a natural disaster, the other was a oil business disaster. My opinion let the oil companies fix and clean up their own mess and if the feds help, we must shift the bill to the companies responsible for this. But hey that's when sensationalist media has to give out in order to capture ratings.
Lastly, this is what happens when big oil is so infiltrated in DC, BP had numerous violations and was never reinforced to fix them, you keep this practice of being unchecked in not only big oil, but with any big industry, and you are bound to get a disaster sooner or later. IMO profits over safety is a dangerous road to take that eventually we (the public) all have to take the hit; and this is an example of it.



THE POLITICALLY INCORRECT ONE.

Re: As a Floridian...
Friday, May 28, 2010 10:30 AM on j-body.org
OHV notec wrote:

BP had the live feed on their website up until a couple days ago.
http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/globalbp/globalbp_uk_english/homepage/STAGING/local_assets/bp_homepage/html/rov_stream.html
They have since moved the ROV with the camera, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything worthwhile.

Agreed though, definitely more than just a 'leak'.




the rov has not moved we (i work on one of the vessels that has been staring at the BOP since the day it happened) are still sitting here doing exactly what we are told to stand by and watch, monitor certain things but mainly sit with cameras on it.. as for the coast guards motions throughout this ordeal, I have been at the scene since the initial explosion. The CG has done very very little as far as any conducting goes out here. the helicopter pilots, and C130 pilots are great at what they do. I was extremely impressed by the actions the took in the search and rescue operations. Now the CG vessels that is something entirely different, during the fire the cutters did not take charge or show any leadership, instead they did laps around the rig as WE fought the fire, and took charge in the search and rescue operations. Also most of what you are seeing from the rov camera is not actually oil is is mud.



Re: As a Floridian...
Sunday, May 30, 2010 6:30 AM on j-body.org
Well hooooollyyy sshiiit.





Re: As a Floridian...
Wednesday, June 02, 2010 11:11 PM on j-body.org
Yep that top kill didn't work.





How many steps to heaven, Doc?
...Ah, metaphysics.
Re: As a Floridian...
Friday, June 04, 2010 5:07 AM on j-body.org
actually since someone came into the war forum and made it a waste to post in most of us have just avoided this forum in general.



has nothing to do with being for big business or anything to that effect.



sorry goodwrench i disagree with you. a disaster is a disaster wether its man made or made by nature. should we have made muslim terrorists take care of the trade towers since they were the cause? it doesnt matter who caused it, it needs to be fixed. if goverment had a solution but just sat there and said its not our mess then every one of them should be fired. i seriously doubt any one of them has a solution. but the goverment should be helping out to protect the land. hell let them send the bill to bp for all i care, but they should be helping. hell bush was destroyed because he waited 3 days to help out in katrina, its been a month now and no one is really calling the goverment to task over this. but you can't bash obama, thats against the rules. sorry but if you have the means to help you dont sit there and just watch because you werent the cause, expspecially when this is going to destroy thousands of jobs and travel and vacationers and allot of lives.


its also a bit early for the blame game. first thing you do when there is a car wreck is you get the people out of harms way, then you put out any fires and clean up the mess then find out what happened and place the blame wehre it lies.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Re: As a Floridian...
Sunday, June 06, 2010 1:53 AM on j-body.org
Live ROV feeds from all cameras.


BP needs to do something.




Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Sunday, June 06, 2010 1:54 AM


Re: As a Floridian...
Sunday, June 06, 2010 7:20 AM on j-body.org
Yes, we should cripple or economy because of something that can\has happed from NATURE



And this is leaving out the TIMING of stated "ACCIDENT"


Chris


"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry


Re: As a Floridian...
Sunday, June 06, 2010 7:32 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

According to petroleum geologists, good source rock contains about 1% total organic carbon (TOC). In the California coastal areas, the source rocks often contain 4-6%, with some zones measuring almost 20% TOC. It is no wonder then that, where the source rocks are exposed at the surface, they literally bleed petroleum. It is also no surprise that oil, tar, and gas seepages occur offshore.

Over the last 20,000 years, relative sea level has risen more than 300 feet. The erosion that today exposes oil seeps along the beaches and in the local hills did the same to areas now under water. A significant difference between offshore seeps and onshore seeps is that underwater seeps are subject to the weight of the seawater column and to shifting ocean floor sediments. Seeps are affected by tidal changes, and, like onshore seeps, offshore seeps are stimulated by earthquake activity. Because ocean temperatures are more constant than air and ground temperatures, underwater seeps do not speed up or slow down on hot or cold days. They do, however, show seasonality in seepage rates.

Today, especially on a warm summer day, a person driving through Santa Paula will smell petroleum fumes and notice thick, black crude oil running down the side of the road ... exactly what the Chumash smelled centuries ago. All over California, from Humboldt to Kern to San Diego Counties, place-names such as Oil Creek, Petrolia, Oildale, Brea, and Coal Oil Point testify to the widespread occurrence of petroleum seepages.

Like most, I care about this about as much as terrorizing the terrorist. IE water-boarding.


Chris


"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry


Re: As a Floridian...
Monday, June 07, 2010 4:03 PM on j-body.org
arrival_04_eco (green98cav) wrote:

the rov has not moved
It appears there are multiple cameras displayed on that site, and I just happened to get the inactive one repeatedly at that time.
INFIDEL wrote:

Yes, we should cripple or economy because of something that can\has happed from NATURE

And this is leaving out the TIMING of stated "ACCIDENT"
What exactly is crippling our economy? A move to alternative fuels? I'm pretty sure even Bush claimed to want "energy independence"... Spending now could lead to savings later (like not having an "oil shortage" every 20 years and wars in the middle east, or creating an immense industry here in the US).

Trying to associate this disaster with the natural process you linked is like saying that rain is unnecessary because there is moisture in the air; it's not even on the same scale. The amount of oil being leaked is immense in comparison, and the ecosystem in which it's being released is not accustomed to this current environment (notice the article doesn't have pictures of dead birds soaked in oil...)




fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster

Re: As a Floridian...
Tuesday, June 08, 2010 6:22 PM on j-body.org
LOL. Notec, you don't seriously think that "even Bush agreed with xyz..." means sh!t to most of us, do you? I can only speak for myself, but I've stood up for him on many things, because I agreed with what he did on certain issues, but I'm not one to say it's OK because someone on "my side" agrees with it. I'm pretty sure most others here are of the same mindset.

As for Chris' comment on the timing of the "accident", I have to say that I really have my skepticism on it being an actual accident. There have been too many things that have happened at just the right time over the past couple of years. I don't believe that many things to be coincidental.

What's crippling our economy? Nothing now. However the administration and their cohorts are using this as a means to push their agenda of taxing fossal fuels, the oil companies, and the people who burn anything. That WILL cripple the already hemhorraging economy. Seriously, if there is anyone who doesn't think raising taxes on the thing that every one of us uses will push us further into a depression, you need a lesson in economics.






Re: As a Floridian...
Sunday, June 13, 2010 10:27 AM on j-body.org
Or, take your gas bill, just for fuel for the car.


Now cut it in half because were are getting more of this "limited resource".... that's spewing up under its own pressure NATURALLY in socal.
we would all have more money to spend on OTHER THINGS..... like HOUSING.

But there is more...

NOW you need to PAY people to work the oil rigs......

so, with all this extra oil, you need to truck it some were, ergo more jobs,

but with all this oil, looks like we need oil refineries (workers), so more jobs to not only work them, but build more of the refineries (workers).

this one act of drilling for oil, could jump start the economy, but we are so chicken sh!t we are going to hurt a spotted owl.


at 90 cents a gal, how many people are really going to care about the damn owl?

I will not get in to a fu-king blame game with bush bashing... drop it, its over, let go, no one cares.

Chris


"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry


Re: As a Floridian...
Sunday, June 13, 2010 7:43 PM on j-body.org
Racist.

j/k

But seriously.



Re: As a Floridian...
Monday, June 14, 2010 9:52 AM on j-body.org
But seriously...................what?


Chris




"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry


Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search