Photo ID required to vote in elections? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Saturday, July 17, 2010 9:01 PM on j-body.org
Should people be required to show a legitimate state issued photo ID card, in order to vote? Would it be discriminatory towards any group to require that the voter is who they claim to be, and indeed, does live where they say they live?

If a state issued voter id card was free for those who do not drive (and have no drivers liscense), would there be any other reason as to why this idea would be a bad idea? (if you can get a ride to the voting booth, theyn you should be able to get a ride to the DMV/ Sec State office for the ID card)

I've heard that implementing such a plan would disenfrancise the poor and minorities, but that doesn't make sense. Wouldn't they want to know that inelligible votes were not being counted? Don't the poor and minorities want to make sure that only residents of their area are voting for the candidates? Don't the poor and minorities want to make sure that election laws are being scrupulously followed and that voter fraud is prevented as much as possible?

This seems reasonable, as they are Americans just like everyone else. So, what is the real reason that people would say a voter id program would disenfranchise these folks?

.

.


“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart

Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Saturday, July 17, 2010 10:10 PM on j-body.org
Any claim of descrimination for a policy that covers everyone is simply idiotic. If everyone has to provide this ID in order to vote, and everyone is required to prove valid citizenship to obtain such an ID, there is no discrimination.






Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Sunday, July 18, 2010 5:30 AM on j-body.org
I know it has come up as a hotbutton issue before, and the propose law was squashed by the dems. Why they would be against it is beyond me.

.


“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Sunday, July 18, 2010 6:04 AM on j-body.org
In local elections I am required by law to provide ID, however most of the time they do not even ask for it.



Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:52 AM on j-body.org
Defender of My Waterpark wrote:

I know it has come up as a hotbutton issue before, and the propose law was squashed by the dems. Why they would be against it is beyond me.
From the party that supports amnesty (aka solve a problem of people breaking the law by helping them circumvent it), why would this surprise you?

mitdr774 wrote:

In local elections I am required by law to provide ID, however most of the time they do not even ask for it.
This is the case in so many things these days. We have laws that simply aren't enforced. Just like the BP oil spill. People talk about wanting laws passed to keep this from happening again, but the fact is that we already had laws in place. They simply weren't adhered to by the entity charged with enforcing them.






Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Sunday, July 18, 2010 1:34 PM on j-body.org
Are there any dissenting readers who can tell me why this isn't happening nationwide. The govt spent two years warnin people that digital tv was on it's way (no more analog), so why not start now, telling the nation that in the 2012 elections, you will be required to show proof of I'd when you vote?


“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Monday, July 19, 2010 5:23 AM on j-body.org
Because teh poor and underprivldged would be hard pressed to use their government assistance to afford a state ID duh, hahn should have told you this a hour ago



Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 12:24 PM on j-body.org
I've always had to show valid ID to vote...
Maybe it's because I look somewhat Hispanic and live in AZ? lol




fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:03 PM on j-body.org
OHV notec wrote:

I've always had to show valid ID to vote...
Maybe it's because I look somewhat Hispanic and live in AZ? lol
LOL. However, AZ FTW, and it is not racist. I'd take all the legal immigrants from Mexico they want to send. However, there should be a solid period of working and paying into the system before any immigrant is eligible for benefits. The US should not be a place where you can gain citizenship, and immediately start receiving entitlements.





Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Wednesday, July 21, 2010 12:46 AM on j-body.org
True Conservative wrote:

Because teh poor and underprivldged would be hard pressed to use their government assistance to afford a state ID duh, hahn should have told you this a hour ago
Couldn't you solve that problem by subsidizing IDs for the poor? I wouldn't normally be for that(they aren't that expensive anyways), but if you are REQUIRING this to vote then you need to make sure that any valid US citizen - no matter how broke - can vote.

And with that, there are no excuses not to have an ID.

R.W.E. of the J.B.O. wrote:

OHV notec wrote:

I've always had to show valid ID to vote...
Maybe it's because I look somewhat Hispanic and live in AZ? lol
LOL. However, AZ FTW, and it is not racist. I'd take all the legal immigrants from Mexico they want to send. However, there should be a solid period of working and paying into the system before any immigrant is eligible for benefits. The US should not be a place where you can gain citizenship, and immediately start receiving entitlements.


I support only one type of amnesty - and not free amnesty either. Armed services enlistment. If you say you love America so much that you want to become a citizen, then prove it by risking your life for the nation you wish to join. For the time of enlistment - pay below what enlisted citizens make(obviously taxed), and you speak no language besides English while in uniform(besides while in boot camp - where they will also be taught enough English to get by in the Military at least). After their service, they will then have earned the right to call themselves US citizens. They can leave the service(unless they opt to stay in) with a sense of being an actual part of this country instead of a tenant. Its also better to have those young men join something that will give them a sense of discipline instead of joining a Latino gang which obviously leads to different results.

I still would probably have then in separate platoons, with limited access to privileged information(just in case), and no opportunity for higher ranks(or joining as an officer) until becoming a citizen.

No it wouldn't work for everyone, and it wouldn't be perfect, but you could improve the overall situation substantially. Menards parking lots in some areas might get a bit lonelier though. I don't think that there is a single simple answer than can fix the whole situation. I think attacking the problem with a series of steps from multiple angles is the only thing that is gonna work. I this could be a part of it. Enforcement of existing laws being another important part of it as well.

Other things that might help -

1. Securing the border better than we are. It may be impossible to completely secure it, but you decrease the rate at which they cross.

2. Better safeguards to ensure that non-citizens do not abuse our system.

3. Things like requiring photo ID for elections - could help maybe a little, but I doubt substantially. I don't think many people come here to vote in our country.

4. Stiffer penalties for employers intentionally hiring illegals - as in JAIL time for people who are involved in the decision knowing the fact, and the government closing and confiscating all company property/assets if the owner/CEO/etc can be proven to have intentionally decided to hire them. Simple fines are just not enough. There currently is too much money to gain(compared to little risk) from exploiting illegal labor. But companies would not take the risk if there where serious consequences beyond a slap on the wrist.

5. Harder to fake photo ids. You could have embedded digital information. Their personal info(not all of it readable from the surface of the ID) encrypted by a CRC of the picture on their ID would be verifiable. If the picture didn't match(which would also be included digitally to compare to the one on their ID), then you could not properly decrypt their info. This would mean the picture is not theirs. Such an ID would only be marginally thicker than existing IDs and not really that expensive either(basically as much as embedding a micro SD card in the ID and it wouldn't even need much capacity).

6. Something like crime-stoppers for reporting illegal aliens. Cash rewards for turning them in anonymously. You'd likely have illegals turning in other illegals for the easy money. It would become very hard to hide - even among other illegals. The way standard crime stoppers works(I have a friend who turned in a car thief he knew) - you call in with a tip, you get a unique verification code. You call back some time later with that code, and if your tip resulted in a legit arrest, they have you meet someone at a specific place and time and they give you the money under the table without ever knowing your name. Initially though, this would cost alot. In time, savings from fewer illegal alien created problems would result in savings.

7. Penalties of some sort to those caught attempting to cross(rather than just catch and release back into Mexico). Although, I'm not sure what form this punishment should take. On the same token, offer free, safe, and comfortable passage back to Mexico for any illegals wanting to go back(hopefully because its less desirable for them to live here now).

There would probably be things needing to be added to this list, but I think this would be a good start. Give them a way to EARN(no free lunch) legitimacy, no more motivation to remain undocumented/illegal or even come here if they aren't already, and penalties to remain as such. A carrot in one hand, and a stick in the other.





Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Wednesday, July 21, 2010 6:33 AM on j-body.org
on topic, they do not want people to have government id because then they cannot get away with voter fraud.




Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Thursday, July 22, 2010 8:25 PM on j-body.org
True Conservative wrote:

on topic, they do not want people to have government id because then they cannot get away with voter fraud.
Never heard of Diebold electronic voting machines, have you?

You should never trust something without a paper trial.

Neither side can be trusted to not commit voter fraud. They both think their side is right, and both think the ends (a "better America" according to their ideology, not to mention of course power and $$$) justify the means (covering up the truth, gerrymandering districts, voter fraud, etc).

On topic though - I listed an easy way to settle their so called reason for not wanting IDs to vote. Offer to pay for the IDs. I don't normally support this but if it is required to vote then I do - and they cannot claim discrimination.





Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Friday, July 23, 2010 8:33 AM on j-body.org
bk3k wrote:

True Conservative wrote:

on topic, they do not want people to have government id because then they cannot get away with voter fraud.
Never heard of Diebold electronic voting machines, have you?

You should never trust something without a paper trial.

Neither side can be trusted to not commit voter fraud. They both think their side is right, and both think the ends (a "better America" according to their ideology, not to mention of course power and $$$) justify the means (covering up the truth, gerrymandering districts, voter fraud, etc).

On topic though - I listed an easy way to settle their so called reason for not wanting IDs to vote. Offer to pay for the IDs. I don't normally support this but if it is required to vote then I do - and they cannot claim discrimination.


I have, and trust me I know there is fraud. I am excited to see this election with the new black panther goons at voting stations because eric holder and obama do not have the balls to prosecute a black group for their actions because they could not possibly be culpable. Lets see a few people show up in atlanta with klan garb and batons and see what happens



Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:19 AM on j-body.org
ohio requires id. i remember when i moved to indiana voting and them not requiring it, and it just blew me away. i thought that would just make fraud so easy. just go up, give a name and vote. i dont see the big deal. i mean honestly shouldn't everyone have an id to begin with.

i really liked how the whole hanging chad deal came about and everyone said that poking a hole in a piece of paper was to difficult to figure out so they went and made them computerized, cause we all know how well old people are so great at computers.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:27 AM on j-body.org
sndsgood wrote:

i mean honestly shouldn't everyone have an id to begin with.
Um, no? Not everyone actually needs a driver's license. Also, you have cases like my co-worker's daughter, who has failed the driving test about a dozen times... She may never have a license...
Other than my driver's license and my work ID, I don't have photo ID.

I've never used one of those electronic machines, just connect-the-lines, for both in-person and mail-in ballots.




fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:36 PM on j-body.org
OHV notec wrote:

sndsgood wrote:

i mean honestly shouldn't everyone have an id to begin with.
Um, no? Not everyone actually needs a driver's license. Also, you have cases like my co-worker's daughter, who has failed the driving test about a dozen times... She may never have a license...
Other than my driver's license and my work ID, I don't have photo ID.

I've never used one of those electronic machines, just connect-the-lines, for both in-person and mail-in ballots.





i didnt say everyone should have a drivers liscence, i said everyone should have an id. maybe so they can show proof of who they are. a standard id is only a few dollars.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:42 PM on j-body.org
sndsgood wrote:

OHV notec wrote:

sndsgood wrote:

i mean honestly shouldn't everyone have an id to begin with.
Um, no? Not everyone actually needs a driver's license. Also, you have cases like my co-worker's daughter, who has failed the driving test about a dozen times... She may never have a license...
Other than my driver's license and my work ID, I don't have photo ID.

I've never used one of those electronic machines, just connect-the-lines, for both in-person and mail-in ballots.
i didnt say everyone should have a drivers liscence, i said everyone should have an id. maybe so they can show proof of who they are. a standard id is only a few dollars.
Now you're back to the beginning of this thread...




fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:55 PM on j-body.org
R.W.E. of the J.B.O. wrote:

LOL. However, AZ FTW, and it is not racist. I'd take all the legal immigrants from Mexico they want to send. However, there should be a solid period of working and paying into the system before any immigrant is eligible for benefits. The US should not be a place where you can gain citizenship, and immediately start receiving entitlements.


This whole show ID thing, and racial profiling @!#$ is really starting to piss me off. I like in Chandler AZ, and am one of the whitest people on earth. (lol) When I get pulled over, guess what, I have to show my DL. Guess what else, it is illegal for me to not have my DL on my IF I am driving. If I get in a bar fight, and cops are called, guess what. They are asking for ID. I got a flat in my girlfriends car the other day, and her tire iron was missing. Just so happened there was a DPS officer in the parking lot, and I asked him to borrow his. Well guess what. He still asked for my ID and ran the plates. BIG @!#$ DEAL. Why are all these stupid asses bitching and complaining that a cop asking a person already interacting with said cop for an ID, AND GREEN CARD? You don't have to be a citizen to get a DL, just here legally. I think that if someone is not a citizen and still here legally, that there should be some sort of marking on thier DL thats lets the cops or whoever else know.

I agree with what I quoted above also. If they wanna come here legally, KUDOS to them. I am all for people being here legally, and doing it the right way. But when they set foot on AMERICAN soil without doing it the legal way, they should be SHOT ON SITE. Just my opinion.



Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:47 PM on j-body.org
EvoFire wrote:

This whole show ID thing, and racial profiling @!#$ is really starting to piss me off. I like in Chandler AZ, and am one of the whitest people on earth. (lol) When I get pulled over, guess what, I have to show my DL. Guess what else, it is illegal for me to not have my DL on my IF I am driving. If I get in a bar fight, and cops are called, guess what. They are asking for ID. I got a flat in my girlfriends car the other day, and her tire iron was missing. Just so happened there was a DPS officer in the parking lot, and I asked him to borrow his. Well guess what. He still asked for my ID and ran the plates. BIG @!#$ DEAL. Why are all these stupid asses bitching and complaining that a cop asking a person already interacting with said cop for an ID, AND GREEN CARD? You don't have to be a citizen to get a DL, just here legally. I think that if someone is not a citizen and still here legally, that there should be some sort of marking on thier DL thats lets the cops or whoever else know.
Well...
-The racial profiling thing arises from people not understanding that and amendment was passed, specifically prohibiting such.
-Cops are NOT required to ask for proof of legality (unless the suspect has already been arrested). Districts simply aren't permitted to prohibit legality checks.
-Not everyone has/needs/qualifies for a driver's license. Last time I checked, you are also not required to carry an official AZ ID. I usually don't carry my license if I'm not driving (or drinking), but I also don't make it a habit of getting into bar fights
EvoFire wrote:

If they wanna come here legally, KUDOS to them. I am all for people being here legally, and doing it the right way. But when they set foot on AMERICAN soil without doing it the legal way, they should be SHOT ON SITE. Just my opinion.
Possibly an over-reaction lol. I can think of much worse crimes to which I think "shot on site" would be more fitting... I'd put crossing illegally somewhere between harboring a fugitive and vandalism.

Fun AZ driving law: Lincoln Mark VIII cars are illegal to drive on the freeway, as their automatic ride-height adjustment is in violation of ARS 28-906




fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:14 PM on j-body.org
i cant tell if you are agreeing with me or not...

well with everythign except the "shot on site" thing



Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:19 PM on j-body.org
EvoFire wrote:

i cant tell if you are agreeing with me or not...
Partially. I'm also frustrated with how much of a fuss people are making over this bill (which really doesn't mean anything), but from both sides of it.




fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster

Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:30 PM on j-body.org
AFAIK, every single state offers a non-driver ID card that costs a few dollars, and looks just like a driver's license. I see no problem in requiring everyone to have one or the other to do something like vote. I hear no one screaming racism over being asked for ID over alcohol or tobacco, so why the claim over voting? Every time the race card is thrown, people need to see it as an admission that they have nothing else to argue. It's nothing more than that.

I'll also mention that when I voted this year in the primary, they didn't ID me. I questioned them on it, and they said it's not required. I looked at every one of them at the table, and rhetorically asked "so you're telling me that anyone could have come in and claimed to be me and cast my vote?" They looked at me and shrugged their shoulders. Highly encouraging, isn't it?







Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:30 PM on j-body.org
I would like to see all states require the id card in order to vote, with a special insignia (american flag) which indicates citizenship. A legal resident (non-citizen) card would look identical except it would have no special insignia. I would even be cool with adding a $2 per person, per year state income tax to pay for the cards. No one should have to pay for the right to vote, and since I'm demanding the id card, I shouldn't have a problem contributing a pittance to cover those who do not have the means to purchase one. Since the typical DL or state ID card is good for 4-5 years, the $2 tax would cover it.

Then make it a misdemeanor crime ($1000 fine) if a poll worker is caught not requiring and inspecting ID cards.
No exceptions...you don't prove who you are, then you don't vote. Go back home and get it. Expedited same day cards available for $25 payable by the lazy schmuck who procrastinated or spent his money on Colt 45 malt liquor.
.


“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Saturday, July 31, 2010 12:18 PM on j-body.org
So Scott, who drinks Colt 45?



THE POLITICALLY INCORRECT ONE.

Re: Photo ID required to vote in elections?
Saturday, July 31, 2010 1:45 PM on j-body.org


Quote:

So Scott, who drinks Colt 45?

Lando Calrissian drinks Colt .45.....that's who you jackass. Everyone knows that.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pK5HmuCMBM

.


“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search