Some Minority Advocate Groups are never happy - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Some Minority Advocate Groups are never happy
Wednesday, July 28, 2010 4:32 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Minority advocate group files complaint over Toledo fire class
A local advocate group is filing a complaint against the city over a fire class. The Advocates for Basic Legal Equality say the city has violated a court order by not recruiting minorities for its fire class.

Under a 1995 court order, the city is supposed to hire 3 full-time employees to actively recruit minorities for its firefighter program. The advocate group ABLE says that has not happened, so it wants the city to throw out the current fire class and start over.

In January 2010, the city selected 39 firefighters from a class. Among them, only 2 were African American males and 2 were Hispanic males. No African American or Hispanic females were in the class, and ABLE says it's because of a lack of minority recruitment.

Toledo City Councilman Mike Collins disagrees. "I think its an absolute attempt to undermine what is going on in our city. We have a diverse population, and both public services, police and fire, and I am going to ask my colleagues on council to fortify the decision with me and go forward. I think its time we fight and we win," he said.

If ABLE has its way in court, the current fire class would be dropped and a new class would have to be recruited. Meanwhile, Toledo firefighters have been working around the clock battling arson fires across the city. Collins says firefighters need all the manpower they can afford on the scenes of these fires. "It's what the city can afford to do...and when were looking at 5 and 6 million dollars worth of overtime in fire service...we don't have the luxury of having three people assigned to go through the city recruiting minorities for a prospective test."

A spokesperson for ABLE declined to comment on this story, saying they will be meeting with the city on Wednesday in hopes of working the matter out without having to go to court. We will keep you posted on the developments.

(Copyright 2010 WTVG-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

They ran TV and Radio ads and Newsapaper ads for the fire class rercruitment, It's not their fault no minority women signed up. What really pisses me off is they want 3 fulltime firefighters instead of doing their job to be fulltime minority recruiters, Give me a @!#$ break, That's not what they signed up for. And to also force the people that have been in the class since January to do it all over agian just because they think there isn't enough minorities, If that happens this class was nothing but a waste of time and resources for everybody involved.









Re: Some Minority Advocate Groups are never happy
Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:51 AM on j-body.org
you mean that artificial staffing is something that is not effective? teh liberals will be pissed!!!

what ever happened to the most qualified person gets the job, or college or anything else. I hate this liberal crap.



Re: Some Minority Advocate Groups are never happy
Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:55 AM on j-body.org
Pushing them to start over = stupid
Requiring three staff members for minority recruitment = stupid (really, one wouldn't be fine?)
HOWEVER, not following the 1995 court order = JUST AS STUPID, as well as what might eventually cause them to re-start.
Spike J wrote:

What really pisses me off is they want 3 fulltime firefighters instead of doing their job to be fulltime minority recruiters
Where do you see it saying they have to be full-time firefighters? All it says is they can't afford three more people. I haven't been able to find text from the 1995 order, but I highly doubt it would require trained firefighters to work those three positions...




fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Re: Some Minority Advocate Groups are never happy
Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:07 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Under a 1995 court order, the city is supposed to hire 3 full-time employees to actively recruit minorities for its firefighter program.
I'm so sick of this sh!t. If you can show actual discrimination, prosecute it. However, any forced recruitment, hiring, accepting, or anything else, based on race, is wrong. Affirmative action type laws need to be wiped out. We have laws which guarantee equal rights. Enforcing them is all that is necessary.






Re: Some Minority Advocate Groups are never happy
Wednesday, July 28, 2010 11:50 AM on j-body.org
OHV notec wrote:


HOWEVER, not following the 1995 court order = JUST AS STUPID, as well as what might eventually cause them to re-start.

Like I said They ran TV,Radio and newspaper ads recriuting people for the new Firefighter class. What else should they've done went to all the minority neighborhoods and passed out flyers for it. If the people didn't get off their butts to sign up after seeing and hearing the ads they obviously weren't interested.
OHV notec wrote:

Spike J wrote:

What really pisses me off is they want 3 fulltime firefighters instead of doing their job to be fulltime minority recruiters.

Where do you see it saying they have to be full-time firefighters? All it says is they can't afford three more people. I haven't been able to find text from the 1995 order, but I highly doubt it would require trained firefighters to work those three positions...

That's what they said on the newscast this morning. Even if they're not firefighters they shouldn't have to hire people just to recruit minority's to become firefighters.
R.W.E. of the J.B.O. wrote:

Quote:


Under a 1995 court order, the city is supposed to hire 3 full-time employees to actively recruit minorities for its firefighter program.

I'm so sick of this sh!t. If you can show actual discrimination, prosecute it. However, any forced recruitment, hiring, accepting, or anything else, based on race, is wrong. Affirmative action type laws need to be wiped out. We have laws which guarantee equal rights. Enforcing them is all that is necessary.










Re: Some Minority Advocate Groups are never happy
Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:11 PM on j-body.org
Discrimination laws just need to go away. By giving minorities a leg up in the workforce, it does nothing except ensure that a less qualified person gets a job over a qualified one (not saying minorities are less qualified necessarily). All it does is encourage discrimination the other way around. Want to not be discriminated against? Go to school, job training, whatever. The fact that a minority gets a job over a white male just on the concept of race/gender/sexual orientation is why racism and discrimination will never go away... our government perpetrates it.




Re: Some Minority Advocate Groups are never happy
Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:52 PM on j-body.org
OHV notec wrote:

Pushing them to start over = stupid
Requiring three staff members for minority recruitment = stupid (really, one wouldn't be fine?)
HOWEVER, not following the 1995 court order = JUST AS STUPID, as well as what might eventually cause them to re-start.
Spike J wrote:

What really pisses me off is they want 3 fulltime firefighters instead of doing their job to be fulltime minority recruiters
Where do you see it saying they have to be full-time firefighters? All it says is they can't afford three more people. I haven't been able to find text from the 1995 order, but I highly doubt it would require trained firefighters to work those three positions...


what are they supposed to do, drag people to apply? maybe they should have right to enlist minorities on welfare and unemployment to be firefighters? frigging retarded law, and that you say well they should follow the law... they would be paying like 120k a year to find minorities to fight fires, thats stupid as hell



Re: Some Minority Advocate Groups are never happy
Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:10 AM on j-body.org
Re: Some Minority Advocate Groups are never happy
Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:35 AM on j-body.org
True Conservative wrote:

OHV notec wrote:

Pushing them to start over = stupid
Requiring three staff members for minority recruitment = stupid (really, one wouldn't be fine?)
HOWEVER, not following the 1995 court order = JUST AS STUPID, as well as what might eventually cause them to re-start.
Spike J wrote:

What really pisses me off is they want 3 fulltime firefighters instead of doing their job to be fulltime minority recruiters
Where do you see it saying they have to be full-time firefighters? All it says is they can't afford three more people. I haven't been able to find text from the 1995 order, but I highly doubt it would require trained firefighters to work those three positions...
what are they supposed to do, drag people to apply? maybe they should have right to enlist minorities on welfare and unemployment to be firefighters? frigging retarded law, and that you say well they should follow the law... they would be paying like 120k a year to find minorities to fight fires, thats stupid as hell
I'm not saying I don't think it's stupid, but it was a COURT ORDER. If they didn't want to do it, they should have challenged it. Instead, they ignored it and created this new, ridiculous, situation. Also stupid as hell.




fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search