What does everyone think about the Iraqi People? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What does everyone think about the Iraqi People?
Sunday, January 15, 2006 3:31 PM on j-body.org
I was just wondering what the popular thoughts were on the people over here. I will say my bit after reading some of the replies...

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Re: What does everyone think about the Iraqi Peopl
Sunday, January 15, 2006 3:35 PM on j-body.org
from the dozens ive met, theyre very nice and friendly people who just want to have a normal life, most of them like america and what we stand for, and want to live like us, with freedom and safety. also most i have met are very intelegent, as most of them are fluent in arabic and english

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Sunday, January 15, 2006 5:15 PM on j-body.org
^^^ Werd.

My next door neighbours for the longest time were Iraqi's, and they were the best neighbours I've had. I've dealt with Iraqi police trainee candidates (there is a forensic unit being created in Jordan at the Joint Police training facility), and they were very easy to talk to and deal with.

They are pretty much the same as most people. A lot of decent people with a couple of @!#$s that screw it up for the rest of them.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 6:51 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:
They are pretty much the same as most people. A lot of decent people with a couple of @!#$s that screw it up for the rest of them.

Just like the rest of society. I don't think we give enough credit to people from the Middle East. People still belive in the "American Dream" even when some americans don't. Kinda ironic.

Monday, January 16, 2006 8:07 AM on j-body.org
I have never met any Iraqi's personally. All I know is what I hear. One thing that I hear that sparks me though is that the Iraqi people are the most educated in the region... particularly before the first gulf war and sanctions. Isn't that true?

---

Monday, January 16, 2006 8:12 AM on j-body.org
I think they're like people anywhere that you may meet. Nationality and religion aren't an issue unless your prejudges.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, January 16, 2006 8:24 AM on j-body.org
I've never met an Iraqi before but to me they seem like very passionate people. They believe in something so much that they are willing to die for it.

I have a friend in the army who is serving over in Iraq and he told me that the majority of the iraqis are very nice and welcome our presence. The kids love to come up and ask them for stuff and just hang out

Monday, January 16, 2006 8:45 AM on j-body.org
^^^ I've heard that as well... Most Iraqis I've met that are fresh from th region are kinda fatalistic (They'll take out as many of the bad guys as they can if God wills it), but they're learning slowly that they have some control over the situations they get into.

Passionate I don't know about, but there were some very hot mid-eastern girls where I went to school.

Monday, January 16, 2006 9:34 AM on j-body.org
Well i think Most not all have very strong beliefs and i think it shows everytime we hear about a suicide bomber. It's too bad that there are so many conflicting opinions and groups over there otherwise we wouldnt hear so much about the suicide bombers .

Monday, January 16, 2006 1:20 PM on j-body.org
Besides that one guy that always calls me at 8am from some place with an area code of "718" they're cool with me. But really I get that call every other day and I could hear his accent when he speaks to me and you just know he's from some where from the middle east, he keeps on waking me up in the morning, I hate that. But all in all I've have plenty of professors that are from Iraq and Pakistan and they're all cool with me, the people I seem to meet also happen to be very funny.

Monday, January 16, 2006 4:19 PM on j-body.org
It's good to hear the positives and not the negatives. Yes, there are bad people over here, trust me I see them. Before I was deployed to Iraq, I heard all the stories about how you always have to watch you back and that they are all out to kill every american. Now that I am here, have been for 4 months now, I have see through the "crap" and gotten over my insecurites with them. For the most part they are good people. They work had, are mostly in poverty - around my area at least, and are not very educated. This very well may be a regional status quo, but these are my experiances.

Would I trust them with my weapon, no! Would I give some rations to a hungry person standing in the street, yes. That is a doubled edged sword too, since they know that the soldiers have food and they, especially small children, run into the road in front of convoys and get hit with very big trucks or try to steal MRE's off of the trucks and get shot (not due to the loss of food/supplies, but they could be dropping off explosives in the back of the truck).

In the CSH, I treat more civilians then I do soldiers, and I take a great deal of pride in that. One, that means that there are less and less Americans wounded or KIA, and two, I am giving these people something they have never had before. Health care. A simple infection is a life or death stuggle out in the desert. You should see how grateful they are for the simplest treatments. I have had people walk 20km back to where they live, get me a gift, and walk 20km back to show their gratitude. It's hard to tell someone that you can't take it after that (We aren't allowed to take gifts - ethics).

Most of the people I have been around love America for what we have done for them. Many still will not say Saddam's name. It is like a dirty word. I had my doubts about this war going into it, but I am glad to be over here making a differance for these people.

Anyways, I'm glad to hear that the stigma that surrounds this place is wearing off.

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Monday, January 16, 2006 4:46 PM on j-body.org
I've have only met a couple and they are a sample from a population that has left Iraq, so may not represent the "normal" Iraqi but they are pleasent, friendly, people. They will discuss just about anything and are quite open, all things considered. I often seek their opinion on middle east issues because, let's face it, they used to live there and I have never even visited. Their perspective is important to me.

PAX
Monday, January 16, 2006 5:08 PM on j-body.org
RaiLS: At the risk of moving the discussion off topic: I don't think the problem is the people themselves.. it's about how the invasion was conducted. I know we all agreed that something needed to be done, but just what exactly was up in the air...

Back on topic:
The people of the area run the gammut from highly educated engineers and doctors, to the very poor and uneducated.

Monday, January 16, 2006 5:48 PM on j-body.org
I've been to the middle east... not necessarily Iraq, but the U.A.E, Bahrain and Kuwait and spent some time in Israel. I've only met nice people. Hell, even the cab driver in Bahrain who was hitting on my friend in the front seat was nice.
I was told personally by several Israeli's that they wanted Israel to become the fifty-first state.
I think it's all in the media. You only hear the bad things about what goes on over there, and how mean and crude the people are.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Monday, January 16, 2006 6:02 PM on j-body.org
I used to work at a convenience store and the owners were Iraqi. They were really nice people.

Jabbles
Monday, January 16, 2006 8:55 PM on j-body.org
The biggest problem over there is that the general populace is sitll being intimidated by the insurgents. Yes, the average Iraqi is very polite, and willing to help, and are very nice people, but they really only have two choices, don't tell the Americans anything and have airstrikes take out parts of their neighborhood, or be seen cooperating with the Americans and have their entire family killed by the Insurgent groups. This may not be telling of the entire country, in fact I know this isn't the way the entire country is, but this is what I noticed from where I've been in Iraq, but this was all over a year ago. Things should be a bit different now.

Yella02-I promise I will return to you in one piece and this will stay up until I am safely home

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 3:04 AM on j-body.org
my cousin, is a computer tech sub-contracted to the britist dept of defence, and has been over to iraq, 5 times now since this latest conflict, has started, some before the war, and some times after. and has said he loves the country it's self, and the people he has met have been very nice, very respectful, just like anyone you meet.

the only problem he had was they were hiring some iraqi's to do some work and gave them uniforms, and tehy would always give them to their elders, as is tradtion

and he had to explain to them that the uniforms were waht kept them safe, because the brtis were protecting anyone in the uniforms

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 9:07 PM on j-body.org
One or my bestfriend sis frome iraq, one of the coolest dudes i know, and the best sk8ter

TURBO4DOOR

Friday, January 27, 2006 7:16 PM on j-body.org
theres good and bad no matter where you go in the world some are good in different ways and some are bad in different ways i live in a country that has a big soup bowl of everyone race creed whatever 1 person is bad that doesn't make that race bad and if everyone trys to think along those lines are close to it we would have a better place i think anyways..it don't matter 200 year if were all still here! everyone is humping everyone we'll just be one color tanned ! lol am i wrong??? ok but whats your background? i hear soooo much oh I'm Irish and french are polish and Russian etc lol just wait it will happen then what race can you throw hate at? oh i hate those guys that live on the other side of the ocean cause its warmer there?...my two cents

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4235/jim25ek.jpg
Monday, February 13, 2006 11:46 AM on j-body.org
in the part that im at its half and half. alot of them like us and like what we are doing. and the other half want us out. there are days where we are out doing patrols that they are all smiling and giving us thumbs up and stuff like that and there are times where they just give you dirty looks and walk the other way. most of the shiite want us here its the sunni that want us out.
Thursday, March 09, 2006 9:05 PM on j-body.org
I've known Iranians, Iraqis, Saudis, Lebanese, Pakistanis.

People in general are good. You should never associate a people with their crappy governments. That includes the USA.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search