Was I profiled? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Was I profiled?
Sunday, January 22, 2006 2:32 AM on j-body.org
Now this question could be racially or for any other reason...

Last night we had a car meet in a Mall parking lot, LOTS of people showed up...maybe 40+ cars and most of them modified and boosted mind you. Well cops were watching us every so often and then they finally came by to talk to us. Well there was this female cop who initially came over with an attitude and said "You have to leave!" but then her superior office came and talked to her (I guess put her in her place) and then spoke to us. He was very polite and respectfully explained the situation...

What happend was last week there was a car meet...had nothing to do with us...well there were a bunch of idiots burning out and drifting and doing a bunch of dumb stuff to piss of the property owners, so now they don't want anyone hanging out there. The male cop respectuflly told us this and said for the time being that we could hang out just don't do anything stupid...which we weren't...we were basically talking and out of our cars.

Well the cops had came back later on and told us that we had to leave cause the property managers didn't want anyone there from now on and they had warned us if we came back that they would start handing out tickets for loitering and BS car tickets. They were even nice enough to tell us another place outside their town that we could hang out at. The cops were overall very cool. So we decided to head over there...this is where it gets messed up...

I'm probably about the 7th car to leave the parking lot. Mind you, there are 4 cop cars watching us leave so I am not going to do anything stupid and I'm driving extremely slow. As we are heading out the parking lot we are approaching a light and I'm looking in the rear view at my friend Dave. All of a sudden I see a cop car jump behind me very irrate. The light turned green, I made a left and I get pulled over...

She asked for the proper identification...crap! I couldn't find my registration, fine, I'm guilty of that and I know I'll get a ticket for that but I had everything else. So she proceeds to walk around my car with her flashlight, goes to her car and comes back. She tells me that I am getting the following ticket:

1. Loud Exhaust - I was doing 5 MPH, my foot barely on the gas so I don't know how she could tell that it was extremely loud or not. Also, she didn't have a decibel reader.

2. Tinted Windows - Fine, I have tinted windows, whatever.

3. Not having my front license plate on my front bumper - Fine, I don't have it on my front bumper but that's a bit picky.

4. Failure to show registration - I have no problem with that ticket.

Now here are the parts that I'm not sure if I was profiled...

I was the only black person who was there out of the huge crowd, I am in a VERY perdomonantly white township, I was the ONLY person pulled over and after she gave me my ticket she said...and I quote... "Don't hang out in OUR town"

Now this is in no way bashing police officers because they are just like everyone else doing their job and I know I'm guilty on some of those but there are things where she was just looking for anything to give me a ticket for and she had an attitude the whole time. I know what some of you might be thinking..."you were probably giving her an attitude"...I kid you not that I didn't say a word to her besides "No, I can't find my registration". Even after she said that unnecessary comment to me I didn't say a word to her. I did nothing to deserve that comment and we as a group of people in our club didn't do anything to deserve that comment.

I have to go to court of course but I'm not sure if I was profiled for either my skin color or for my car or because I am black, in a white town with a nice car. As stupid as it sounds, there are cops that still do that.

On a side note...too bad she was really bitchy cause she was hot LOL

What you guys think?

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Re: Was I profiled?
Sunday, January 22, 2006 2:39 AM on j-body.org
you shoulda put it in.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 2:40 AM on j-body.org
Well that sucks. Luckily most of those tickets are fix-it tickets, well at least here they are.
Maybe if she had a cam in her car with the mic on her and such (like u see on car chase/pullover shows) you could file a "complaint" of sorts. But then again if ur in a "perdomonantly white township" then maybe that wouldn't go anywhere.
IDK - just an idea.
It's still stupid that she did it.

-Seth

Sunday, January 22, 2006 2:56 AM on j-body.org
well at least you didnt get a ticket for being black on a friday night....... lol I love that movie...... dont be a menace in south central while drinkin your juice in the hood.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827643
boost will be soon for me....
Sunday, January 22, 2006 6:49 AM on j-body.org
Not so sure if you were profiled its possible but since your car had so many infractions that are easy to see from a distance I'd say your out of luck.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 6:53 AM on j-body.org
Was it the same fem. cop that was cooled off by here superior earlier in the evening? You would think that she might have had some problem with you and not nessessarily the police force in general. If it was the smae one, she had something personal going on I would bet. Perhaps she's racist, or perhaps she hates whatever car you drive, I dunno, but people can be that way. I'm sorry to say, and it might seem sexist, but in my experirence, women hold grudges much more so than men. For all I know, she might have been ticked off by someone with a similar car 5 years ago

Tough to say.. But that "Don't hang out in our town" bit is troubling. Is it your town too, or were you visiting? If you live there you would have at least had a snappy comeback. If you were visiting, she's just not very good for the tourist industry is she. I would consider trying to talk to one of the other officers that were there that night. The problem there is that COPs stick together, even when they know one of their own is in the wrong. They like to deal with things like that "on the inside" which sucks really because recruting help can be really difficult.

Profiling or not, it doesn't seem that the law was applied evenly there. The whole thing smells a bit fishy.

Good luck.

PAX
Sunday, January 22, 2006 7:12 AM on j-body.org
It sounds to me like you were profiled. Small town, mostly white, it is not hard to believe that she would be racist. It to bad that she is now is a position she can now abuse.

Just let is go and not worry about it too much, she's the problem here, not you.

Although, that is really easy for me to say, as I have never been profiled and will never be profiled for the rest of my life. So, I could never possibly begin to understand the things that you and other have gone through simply based on who you/they are.

Again, sorry this happened, but don't let it get to you. She's not worth it, nor is anyone else like that.

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Sunday, January 22, 2006 7:20 AM on j-body.org
where was this at?

im curious...cause im from nj...

you can always fight the exhaust ticket...its a opinion based ticket that usually doesnt hold up in court if you say the right things...

state cop pulled over someone i knew and my father in law is a retired pa state trooper so naturally he gets alot of favors asked of him...he told him that unless he had a decible meter or another officer there with him to ask if they too thought it was too loud...there is little chance of a judge letting it hold up...its one persons opinion ya know...loud exhaust? whats loud to you isnt loud to me...and when there are 40+ other cars how did she know it was me? and at 5 mph! fight that one man...

also pm...let me know what twp or municipality this was in...i might be able to help you out if this was down in the south jersey area...

Sunday, January 22, 2006 8:48 AM on j-body.org
damn black people!!!!

jk bud sounds like you were profiled to me... but maybe she just wanted you?

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Sunday, January 22, 2006 9:58 AM on j-body.org
well, if the rest of the cars had similiar setups and mods and such, then yeah, they picked the darkie to harass, especially with that closing comment.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 10:02 AM on j-body.org
..i dunno about profiles, but sounds like you were shafted. been there boefore, brother. good luck in court.

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 10:07 AM on j-body.org
dude, we gotta all go there, one massive group, and gang up on that bitch. that crap is BULL. FIGHT THE POWER!

this useless post brought to you by the alcoholic known as LUNDiS

Sunday, January 22, 2006 10:08 AM on j-body.org
you shoulda showed her some cleavage

and id fight the exhaust

Sunday, January 22, 2006 10:13 AM on j-body.org
based on what you said in chat, i don't think you were racially profiled.

but hey, you won't listen to reason, so there's no point in me saying anything else.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 10:43 AM on j-body.org
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you weren't the only car with a loud exhaust. You also told me on AIM that you were the only one pulled over. I think with everything you've said so far, it sounds like profiling to me. I don't often consider these things when talking about law enforcement but, truthfully, it just seems like she profiled you. She was on a power trip, only pulled you over, gave you BS tickets, and told you to not hang out in THEIR town. I'm usually one to give people the benefit of the doubt but not in this case; it seems kind of fishy.

Blown.
Sunday, January 22, 2006 11:01 AM on j-body.org
Ordinarily this is where I'd go off on a rant, but her one comment about "staying out of her town" made me change my mind. As a fellow cracker, I can say that is a racist comment. Combine that with being the only ticket that evening and you're guilty of "negro-ing in the first degree". Congratulations on being set back 50 years of civil rights.

Complaining to the PD won't do any good, the blue wall will shut you out. You need to get a lawyer and sue. Even if you don't win you'll get some satisfaction knowing that that female cop will have to answer for her actions and there will be a public record of what she did. (internal complaints aren't available to the public) It'll make it hard for her to continue acting on her racist beliefs. It'll also make it easier for the next person she violates to win in court.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Sunday, January 22, 2006 11:44 AM on j-body.org
lilbit01 wrote:based on what you said in chat, i don't think you were racially profiled.

but hey, you won't listen to reason, so there's no point in me saying anything else.

So STFU then?

And yeah, sounds like you were profiled to me.. Stupid police bitch.

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Sunday, January 22, 2006 11:53 AM on j-body.org
I can't comment either way on the profiling or not (wasn't there). BUT:

The noise issue is correct. if she didn't have a decibel meter to measure it, much like a hippie, her case won't wash unless it's one of *those* small towns where everyone is plooqing each other--and if that's the case you can spend your tourism dollars elsewhere.

Ditto on the tinting. Figure out what the state limit is for tinting, and if you are in the clear, fight that. If not, like you said, suck it up and admit your guilt.

As for the comment, unless you had a dictaphone or some voice recorder that got it on tape, it will be your word against theirs, and being that they're a cop, you'll likely lose that one.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Sunday, January 22, 2006 12:01 PM on j-body.org
Adam, profiling has become a catch-all term... If the cop pulled you over because you have a modified car, I don't think that would qualify. If you were pulled over (mind you the ONLY one pulled over) and had your car searched for drugs (and some smattering of racist remarks), you could quite easily make a case. Again, what the officer said was borderline if you ask me.

I'd fight the tickets if I were you personally. It depends on the county but I think window tint regulations are varied.. If you're in the wrong, pay the fine... Same with the exhaust, but if she doesn't have a decibel meter, she's going to have a hard time proving you were over the limit (IIRC it's 95 DB @ 1 meter @ idle, but check in your area, definitely). The front license plate and registration, I'd just pay out the fine, if you have to have it there, you're screwed.

I wouldn't allow that kind of thing just pass, but that's my opinion.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 12:19 PM on j-body.org
Thats sounds like pretty shady stuff... Did you have the nicest car of the group, maybe thats why you were picked. were your front windows up (could she tell you were black, not sure how dark your tint is)? Shady stuff none the less. Personally I think she's got a thing for j-bodys, but thats just me, lol.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 4:05 PM on j-body.org
I'm not sure you got profiled.
A) you are driving around with 3 obvious violations, you should expect to get pulled over.
B) You stated that you have tinted windows - would the cop even be able to see what
ethnicity someone driving your car is?

jk

Sunday, January 22, 2006 4:43 PM on j-body.org
Let's look at this from a different point of view...which I think is a more realistic one.

The cops told you there was a problem with a group there before. Let's call them the "boy racers", since that's whta they probably were. Punk asswipes with body-kitted, neoned and loud-exhausted Civics, Neons and maybe a Cavalier or two....making noise, tearing up the lot and being a general nuisance. The property owners call the cops to have them removed and they, as punk asswipes are prone to doing, give the cops an attitude. The boy racers finally leave, but only after making things a lot more difficult than they have to be.

Fast forward to your meet...this lady cop was probably one of the cops called to the original disturbance. "You people all look the same to me" takes on a whole new meaning here...you're just another group of punk kids driving around in annoying, loud rice rockets and you're going to start trouble there again.

That explains the initial attitude. The other cop decided to give you a chance and let things slide, just to see how it went. Unfortunately for you, the property owners said no way and called the cops again. That's their prerogative, even if you're not doing anything wrong. If they don't want you there, for any reason, you can't be there.

So on the way out, this lady cop decides that she's going to send a message, to be delivered to the rest of the group by one lucky winner. This time that winner was you. Maybe she picked you because your car is red. Maybe she picked you because she hates wings...or two tone paint jobs. Myabe, just maybe, your car resembled one from the previous problem...maybe even one where the driver gave her a hard time. Who knows, but she picked you, and I highly doubt it had anything to do with the color of your skin. While pulled over she cited you for things that are actually wrong with your car and told you that she "doesn't want you to hang out in their town".

Ya know what I think? She's as tired of the boy racer crowd as the rest of us and she's going to do whatever she can to get rid of them. She's gotta deal with a dozen noise, tresspassing and racing complaints a day from those retards and she (and the rest of the department) want them gone at all costs. So a good assumption is that if you pull over one and write a bunch of citations that the rest will hear about it ...and maybe not want to hang around that town anymore. So that's exactly what she did. Why didn't the rest of the cops pull anyone over? I have no idea, but they're cops, not "The Borg". They don't always act in unison. Why didn't the one cop that got you try to get more people for the same thing? She can't "catch all the fish" by herself.

Point is, boy racers are a nuisance wherever you are. Cops hate them. Property owners hate them. Neighborhood associations hate them. Responsible car clubs and enthusiasts hate them. For every one person like you that mods but drives responsibly, there's 10 that don't and that's why you got pulled over. They make it tough on anyone to mod a car. Cops look at you wrong now if you have so much as tinted windows because of those jackoffs. Now they've even got you crying racial profiling... when in fact you were "street racial profiled". (yeah, I know it's dumb..I just made it up. Dumb or not it's true.)

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Sunday, January 22, 2006 4:43 PM on j-body.org
She would have seen him get into the car, I think, Rat.

If there were other people get pulled over, then the question would be moot (unless they were all black).

Sunday, January 22, 2006 4:55 PM on j-body.org
as the wise rat once said:

"stock is hot" , and gets you no tickets

swooosh!
Sunday, January 22, 2006 5:10 PM on j-body.org
Well, not for standing still

You gotta MAKE it break the law.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search