Liberals and Conservatives both irrational. - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Liberals and Conservatives both irrational.
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 11:56 AM on j-body.org
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060129/NEWS06/601290427/1012/NEWS06

Political thought not rational

"the new research suggests that for partisans, political thinking is often predominantly emotional."

This is why when someone like Gonzo says, "Though we tried that already....the damn extreme left wingers and ACLU yuppies raised hell about the Minutemen though", he's immediately discredited in my mind as a political hound boy, void of reasonable, researched opinion. That's the assumption I make and I'm not afraid to say so.

I think it needs to be said. I think more often than not people like Gonzo end up losing arguments because they can't really defend their stance. All they know is what the'yre told. Or if they do research, they do it from politically slanted sites.

---

Re: Liberals and Conservatives both irrational.
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 12:12 PM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:Political thought not rational

"the new research suggests that for partisans, political thinking is often predominantly emotional."

It would be interesting if they had instead asked them loaded questions like:
Why do republicans eat babies?
Why are Democrats all silly ninnys?

That would be far more entertaining IMO.

I don't like this study because it doesn't really capture political thinking, but more, the feelings someone has about a candidate in office.

When discussing a candidate or any person for that matter it will always be an emotional response because you either relate or do not relate to people, and agree or disagree with them.

It's usually more effective to defend or attack a policy, or idea than to defend the actual person representing a party, or running for office.

A question like:
For Republicans: Why are lower taxes are better?
For Democrats: Why are lower taxes bad?

Then provide them with a contradicting well thought argument for the opposite you could see which people were intelligent and thinking on their responses and which were emotional.

So the true problem is how do you define political thinking?

-Chris

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 12:22 PM on j-body.org
^^I define political thinking as an attempt to justify the existance of the political process, something that we really shouldn't need, but we have 19.99999999% of the populace that aboslutely needs to lord over the rest, and 80% of the populace that needs someone to lord over them. Thus, validates my argument that humans are not civilized and not as "advanced" as we think we are.

But Agustin, haven't i been saying this for years now? Is this really news?

I feel about this subject like Carlin does about comedy--sometimes you need to remind people about funny things that they forgot to laugh at the first time--like disposable douche--"Who would want to keep it in the first place???"

Goodbye Callisto & Skaği, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 3:42 PM on j-body.org
We need a 3rd party that can just chill the f-out. I can't vote for anyone cause it's one extream or the other. They all lie through their teeth too, so who knows what they will do...

Ack, politics are just a headache waiting to happen...

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 7:51 PM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:Political thought not rational

That's one of the reasons that parties were discouraged originally. People involved heavily in the political process see things as ultimately black and white, and that's only the 2 extremes... There is really a whole lot of grey in there. Although, when it comes down to it, you can't partly agree or disagree with something when it comes down to making a decision.

Quote:

This is why when someone like Gonzo says, "Though we tried that already....the damn extreme left wingers and ACLU yuppies raised hell about the Minutemen though", he's immediately discredited in my mind as a political hound boy, void of reasonable, researched opinion. That's the assumption I make and I'm not afraid to say so.

Making asumptions is one thing, but you know what happens when you ASSUME

Opinions are like ass-holes... everyone has one but you don't want to listen to them all because they all pretty much stink. I don't know exactly what you and Gonzo were talking about, and I'm not going to venture an opinion about the topic, but, when you start making your argument around innuendo, and stereotypes, you've lost all face credibility. If you can at least back up your opinions, then it's called colouring.

Quote:

I think it needs to be said. I think more often than not people like Gonzo end up losing arguments because they can't really defend their stance. All they know is what the'yre told. Or if they do research, they do it from politically slanted sites.

The problem is that you can't really help getting information from slanted sites... there really isn't an unbiased source for news, or editorial. People are becoming used to subjugating personal and real thought for instinctive or worse, image based decisions.

If you can see the flaws in an argument, and still be able to support it, great. If you don't know the flaws, you're in trouble. If you don't know the issues, you're lost.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 12:12 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

There is really a whole lot of grey in there.

X2, Personnally my beliefs, ethics and values fall under the beliefs of the Conservative Republican party, but that doesn't meen I agree with everything they say/think.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 2:22 PM on j-body.org
or it means get news from every single source you casn, and ditill out the common elements of all and extrapolate the rest.

not perfect, but it prevents marching lockstep with any political dogma.

personally, i think political parties are as stupid as the people the believe in them.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 3:35 PM on j-body.org
I think a big problem is people go looking for the answers they want to hear, and stop looking before they seek out the opposition. That's a huge problem with all people on all topics.

---

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 5:07 PM on j-body.org
^^^ good point.

Who wants to hear/deal with bad news if they don't have to?

Thursday, February 02, 2006 6:33 AM on j-body.org
What? What bad news? The whole world is full of rainbows and puppy dogs and sunshine. Nothings wrong! President Bush says so.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:33 AM on j-body.org
Me, GAM, but then again, that goes with the territory of being a cynical bastard.

Buth then again, the vast majority of all people in the entire world are living in denial.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD

Thursday, February 02, 2006 9:26 AM on j-body.org
Denial is in Egypt right ?

Thursday, February 02, 2006 10:24 AM on j-body.org
Sorry jack...that pun is majorly lame.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thursday, February 02, 2006 10:26 AM on j-body.org
Lame as a 3 legged horse with a busted leg... Lame..

Thursday, February 02, 2006 10:32 AM on j-body.org
Oh come on guys ! Smile ! really the world won't end if you do !

Thursday, February 02, 2006 11:26 AM on j-body.org
I know...smile because it's the second best thing i can do with my mouth...

Seriously though, that would have been on "The Lame List" with America's Heavy Metal Community.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thursday, February 02, 2006 11:38 AM on j-body.org

Thursday, February 02, 2006 4:21 PM on j-body.org
Yes, the Lame List--or What's Weak this Week...

Breat Reduction Surgery...

LAME!!!!

Noise pollution Laws...

LAME! LAME! LAME! LAME!

European nations moving to a more free-market economy....

.....huh?

Women with short legs...

LAME!!!!!!!

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 9:39 PM on j-body.org
"Liberals and Conservatives both irrational."
This is exactly why I vote Libertarian whenever I can.
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 9:56 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light�]Seriously though, that would have been on "The Lame List" with America's Heavy Metal Community.

Huh?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search