J-body Bash - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
J-body Bash
Sunday, August 27, 2006 11:25 PM on j-body.org
Controversial topic... controversial forum

Nothing against Tim here.... but I feel that the change from the J-Body Bash to the GM Small Car Bash... well... killed it.

First off... I live on the West Coast. I drive a looooooooooong f'n way to get to the bash - an average of 3000+ miles... 4 or 5 days worth... so unlike most West Coast Whiners, I think I have the right to comment on the bash... it's a serious committment for me.... both time and $$$ as I put out over $500 in gas each time.

But let's face it... J-car owners... 2001, good bash. 2002 I missed, can't comment. 2003, my most favourite bash EVER!!! 2004, lots of fun, nice to be back at

GM Small Car bash... 2005 fun times, but pitiful attendance (unless I missed something). Lack of an official hotel blew goats, I ended up half-way across town from the majority of the other drivers... which sucked... cuz I couldn't drink all the Canadian beer I brought with me... I liked seeing all the peeps on here in person... but the bash itself? Not worth it IMHO.

Then this year? It wasn't supposed to happen at all... then a bunch of people whined and snivelled... so Tim cracked and tried to put something together last minute... didn't fly, and was cancelled all together.

I understand the reasoning on expanding the J-car to include other cars... including the Cobalt... since it replaced the Cavalier.... but really.... damn Cobalt killed the Cavalier and the J-bash, it seems.

I miss the old days

Re: J-body Bash
Sunday, August 27, 2006 11:36 PM on j-body.org
i was never at a bash (except the JCO bash, which rocked) but i fully agree...it went strong for years as jsut j's, nothing should have changed

Monday, August 28, 2006 8:03 AM on j-body.org
^^^having Been to the 2k3 bash, i partially agree, but i have to comment that i think the bigger whiners were on the east coast.

You had our Esteemed Dave.org there (who flew in), you had Cavalaska (who flew in),, and you had Lenko and I who drove in--and the drive was about 5000 miles total (there and back). The longest east coast drive was about 3500 miles round trip. Yes, i figured it out. Yes, i have no life.

Yet, you still had people complaining on the East coast that the St. Louis area was too far for them. As such, It was moved back east. With the rising gas prices that pretty much alienated the west coast except for the die-hard people.

But still, I have to agree, the bash was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had. And hearing it going down the crapper makes me not want to spend vacation and money to go to it.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, August 28, 2006 8:43 AM on j-body.org
I've been at all since 02. 03-04 were my favorites as well.

I wasn't planning on coming this year. I'm not bitching about it being far, gas prices, etc. I just don't want to spend vacation time to sit in nowheresvillve Illinois, and watch cars go down an 1/8th mile(1/4 or bust). It was also on a weekend that their was a lot of car events and events in general. I'd rather remember the bashes as being fun and goodtimes and I just didn't see that happening for 06 IMO. Props for Tim for trying to throw something together at the last minute and I don't blame him one bit for cancelling it.

I think the major problem is advertising. If it's a GM small car bash advertise it other places than the org. Nobody will show up if nobody has heard of it.... I personally say let it rest in piece.

I do think an all GM car show (not small car) would be interesting and would have interest, because their are a lot of hardcore gm enthusiasts out there...
Monday, August 28, 2006 10:32 AM on j-body.org
Organizing something like that would be a serious time/energy commitment. If Tim could pull it off, (bringing the old-timers etc from the model specific clubs (like Camaros, Chevelles, Firebirds, old/new GTO's, 442's, any 80's fans out there (other than the f-bods)) hats off to him for that.

I'm thinking that making it a central location or having mini-meets on the west coast, north-east, south, mid-west would make it a lot more accessible, but, who knows.

I've never been mainly because of lack of time/money, but, I think it'd keep the community strong

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Monday, August 28, 2006 10:45 AM on j-body.org
I would agree that organizing local or regional meets would work. We do it for the VR4 club. Every year we have a gathering here in Des Moines and invite anyone in the midwest area to come. Just had one this weekend, actually, and we had members here from Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri, all over the place. If we did that for the JBO it'd make it much more accessible., like Gam said.

Monday, August 28, 2006 6:18 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

I'm thinking that making it a central location or having mini-meets on the west coast

I like that idea

Monday, August 28, 2006 8:05 PM on j-body.org
I went to the 02, 03 and 04 Bash... 03, while farther, was my favorite.

I do miss the "good ole' days" though

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:54 AM on j-body.org
Robbie: what do you think we're doing on the weekend of the 23rd? Mini-meet around HIN

Still, Keep psoted for JBNW after the season...we'll try to get more stuff planned

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Friday, September 01, 2006 3:12 PM on j-body.org
i went to the 04 bash. a good time. but i think i could of spent my money and time elsewhere.

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, September 01, 2006 5:39 PM on j-body.org
50 state capitols, 50 GM bashes. Have the playground segregated for trucks, old schoolers, tuners, beaters, etc.

I'm sure they'd get better nationwide turnout if people didn't have to drive cross country to get there. It's not like we're those freaky Saturn owners.

(I had a saturn, they're kooks)

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto

Saturday, September 02, 2006 12:03 PM on j-body.org
John Wilken wrote:50 state capitols, 50 GM bashes. Have the playground segregated for trucks, old schoolers, tuners, beaters, etc.

I'm sure they'd get better nationwide turnout if people didn't have to drive cross country to get there. It's not like we're those freaky Saturn owners.

(I had a saturn, they're kooks)

I resent that

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Saturday, September 02, 2006 12:52 PM on j-body.org
lone_wolf wrote:
John Wilken wrote:(I had a saturn, they're kooks)

I resent that

I had a Saturn, bought from a Saturn dealer. My winter beater had died, so I needed a cheap car quickly. The deal was easy, it was a snowstorm and no one was looking at cars let alone used cars. They needed to wait a day for my check to clear, so I went home and came back the next day. That's when things got weird. Balloons, confetti, everyone applauding, it was creepy. I know what John Wayne Gacy's victims felt like. My cheap used car was on the showroom floor in the middle of winter. Detailed, saturated with armor all, the whole 9 yards. Then they started to take pictures. "Smile pretty" they said. I'm just getting a cheap car to replace my winter beater, I don't want to join a cult! Stay away from me you Nike wearing kool-aid drinkers!

At least it was a decent beater.

A few weeks later I got a picture of me standing next to my Saturn, snowing outside through the showroom windows, all the employees snuggling up to me with their cups of hot cocoa... I felt like I was being stalked. The card said "Thanks for joining our family, and we hope to see you soon." I immediately locked the doors and windows. The following week I got another postcard, this time inviting me to stop by for a visit and get an oil change. They also mentioned that I was welcomed to come to the "spring fling" party where more freaky "Saturn family" members would be waiting to meet me. If I was a girl, I'd be counting my underwear and bras to see if any were missing.

All this for a cheap-o winter beater.

Don't take it as a personal attack, but that's why I said freaky saturn people.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Saturday, September 02, 2006 6:54 PM on j-body.org
have the bash in texas gas is a 2.49 here last i saw

Saturday, September 02, 2006 8:42 PM on j-body.org
Why not have meets throughout the different states (sponsored by local clubs/business'), then an east coast/west coast meet, then a national meet in a central location (racing being the key draw for the national meet with a huge car show).

Make it a GMSC show, and class everyone. it makes thing easier for the locals, and the diehards can run all the way to the nationals to be the "champion" of the GMSC series.

Have a seperate series for show cars and race cars, and include classics as well (early small cars like chevettes, corvairs, etc.)

Allow V6, but not V8 (different class of car) unless the car in question came with a 4cyl and is now V8 powered.

You know, we could learn a lot from the VW enthusiasts. they show all models of VW at the same show, with out a hitch, and always have great numbers of participants and spectators. Their drags are well organized, and they hold other events for non racers as well.

I hope to have something fun for an Ohio meet next year. Something that can be fun for all (well, not the drag racers, sorry) and a replacement for the bash in our area. I just hope I can get it and everything else organized in a timely fashion.

Sunday, September 03, 2006 5:07 PM on j-body.org
well we had a midwest bash earlier this year..was fun, not a hure turnout but i think it will grow next year...and comon guys...the 'balt didnt kill the cavy...GM and its competition did

Sunday, September 03, 2006 7:06 PM on j-body.org
Just as a ? but why don't we take the idea from the corvette owners and just make at least one annual show as a homecoming for the gm small cars. I mean two cars espicaly can join together and come home for one show, at there home yea its a drive for some and such but its not about location at that point but about the cars themselves. Also like hotbug said vw's have there shows and allow many cars to come together but the new beetles themselves have on show in New Mexico that pull cars from allover to gather for one show. Small car shows work great for those that aren't die hards, and then one larger show for those that are truly remembering where things began. I have attended to bashes so far and honestly the driving doesn't bother me one bit but well the first i went to was in Lordstown and then the Indiana one, and well it just didn't seem to have a heart in Indiana. Just my opinion

Sunday, September 10, 2006 9:37 PM on j-body.org
hotbug1776 wrote:

You know, we could learn a lot from the VW enthusiasts. they show all models of VW at the same show, with out a hitch, and always have great numbers of participants and spectators. Their drags are well organized, and they hold other events for non racers as well.

But the only difference is that VW has only had 4 cylinder motors...not including the high performance versions of the models.

GM has had so many different makes and models and engines, and the division between them is very strong. That's the only real hurdle.

And not to thread jack. But hotbug...do you go on AF anymore and try to help out those idiots on there?

Sunday, September 10, 2006 10:00 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

But the only difference is that VW has only had 4 cylinder motors...

VR6?

Monday, September 11, 2006 11:15 AM on j-body.org
Kardain wrote:
Quote:

But the only difference is that VW has only had 4 cylinder motors...

VR6?
Phaeton V8 & W12 FTW!

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Monday, September 11, 2006 6:53 PM on j-body.org
Adam Asmus AKA Smus...unique I know wrote:
hotbug1776 wrote:

But the only difference is that VW has only had 4 cylinder motors...not including the high performance versions of the models.

GM has had so many different makes and models and engines, and the division between them is very strong. That's the only real hurdle.

And not to thread jack. But hotbug...do you go on AF anymore and try to help out those idiots on there?

once in a while I'm on there, but those people are beyond newbie.

The VW shows also welcome those who are into the extreme, SBC bugs, rotary bugs, trikes, and other aircooled vehicles (corvair being one). it's more of a family get together, where people gather to share in something they have in common, not just win prizes and trophies.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 9:15 AM on j-body.org
i know this will sound sorta crazy......,BUT why dont the j body-small car bash have a tour?.........similar to what nopi does....just a suggestion, that way everyone from around the world would get a chance to be a part of it. only going to the major cities though. just a suggestion.

ClassGlass / RkSport / Eibach / Motegi / Ractive / Borla / K&N

Thursday, September 14, 2006 1:49 PM on j-body.org
didnt when they tried the smaller premeets get like maybe 20 cars a meet to show up? correct me if im wrong but that to me isnt worth the effort. and i love our cars but i'd never spend 500$ in gas and drive two weeks just to go to a bash. it seems most people on this board dont have the time or the money to pull off something like that so they do complain i mean how can a kid who cant even afford to paint his body kit that he has primired on his car spend that kind of money for gas just for an event. most good events ive been to have been events that come back to the same place year after year after year and they grow. ive had a great time at all of the bashes ive attended

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, September 14, 2006 11:17 PM on j-body.org
yep, all the VW events NEVER move, and if they do, that event is renamed to something else. For example, the Michigan Bugout, always in August, and always at Milan Dragway, for 20+ years.

the Bash moved how many times? It should have never moved form Lordstown, then, when the Cobalt came out it's just added to the show, or done on a different weekend. Then everyone plans for the trip a year in advance, saves money, makes reservations, and plans out of event activities.

Thursday, September 14, 2006 11:42 PM on j-body.org
WaterFest FTW!!!

Serioslly I was there and I had a Blast.

Actually if you look at the September '06 Issue of Performance Auto and Sound Magazine. They have a write up on Waterfest. On page 40 in the bottom picture you can see me in a group of people. I am wearing black shorts and my white '05 GMSC Bash shirt. LOL

On Page 41 they even mentioned me by name. haha

Quote:

Todd Sollar and his Wide-body '04 Jetta GLI made a solo-kriuse of his own, Driving over 600km up from his hometown Centerville, Ohio with friend Bryan Detty to meet up with the rest of the rides at JRP's Canadian headquarters.

I know it isn't my car but atleast they mentioned me. LOL

Can't wait til Waterfest Next year !!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search