Hardcore Punk - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hardcore Punk
Friday, March 02, 2007 4:09 PM on j-body.org
Show of hands... who here used to be a real punk? (Pop punk like Green Day doesn't count, only Ramones/Pistol style punk or Hardcore punk counts, besides the real serious old school punk/hardcore scene pretty much died around 1989 or so) I was into it from 1984 onward, I didn't have a mohawk or anything but at the time you didn't need to wear a uniform. I'm not gonna lie and say I was into it deep since I was 11 in 1984, but I was the little kid that stared at the guys with the t-shirts with stuff spray painted on it and hung around enough and had enough of the albums to be somewhat fluent in it. By the time it was truly dying I was 16 and wondering where the hell all the albums (and the guys into it) went. One day it was popular, the next it was deader than dead.

So come on fuchos!!! Show of hands and some stories.

Re: Hardcore Punk
Friday, March 02, 2007 4:39 PM on j-body.org
hehe... I still have a morbid fascination with The Clash. Easily my favourite song is The Guns of Brixton

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, March 02, 2007 6:29 PM on j-body.org
I like some punk music, but I was never a "Punk". I don't like The Smiths enough.. Or at all really. Morrisissy bugs me.

If you have to label my 80's persona, I was more of a "Headbanger" than anything. In reality I have pretty diverse taste in music.

PAX
Friday, March 02, 2007 6:38 PM on j-body.org
Apparently I'm too young too have been a "Hardcore Punk", but if we're going by the music I listen to and the way I live my life I'd like to think I am.

Friday, March 02, 2007 10:28 PM on j-body.org
I loved it in high school. I listened to a lot of crust.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, March 02, 2007 11:08 PM

I'm a bitch. Look out. I'm here to start drama.
Please take everything I say seriously.
Saturday, March 03, 2007 9:55 AM on j-body.org
Brad: yeah.. Punk had its genesis and largest upswell way before you were born... actually just around my birth, it was around 1978.

The Ramones: I was never a big fan of... because the really never had much new sounding stuff...they only knew 3 chords.
The Clash: Innovative, interesting, but a flash in the pan.. they basically disappeared in 1983.
The Smiths: Irritation with a 6 string.
Dead Kennedys: Never got into it.
Sublime: I'm not sure, it blew up after the lead singer OD'ed, so they're basically living off the work of a dead man.

I was never a fan of it as a genre, and after the whole thing more or less flopped I didn't really notice.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 9:03 AM on j-body.org
well I don't define myself but what I listen to and your far older then me but I was a punk fan for a long time.

I just grabed a couple thing I had laying on top of the pile and snaped a pic...

Sex Pistols, Blag Flag, Danzig era misfits the coffin box set is chilling there along with Evilive vinal and couch/cool She EP, the frst thing they ever put out..... hell She is performed with an electic piano in place of the gitaiur, The ramones were out hear (last show live), Rancid (I liked them before they sucked), big Dead Kennedys fan, Jello Biafra is the man. Operation Ivy kicked ass, The clash was alright but never got into them.

I just turned 23 so this kinda stuff was already long forgoten by most by the time I hit there age where I got into music so I never really had all that much access to early punk rock but I really got into the current (at the time) stuff.

Monday, March 05, 2007 3:19 PM on j-body.org
DARKSTARS: You'd love Fear. Here's some links to their Decline of Western Civilization stuff Part 1 of Fear live Part 2 of Fear live

I got some stuff at home I can share too. Anyone want some punk r0x0r junk just come say hi on AIM.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 8:20 PM on j-body.org
I guess I can call myself a punk, even though I don't have a mohawk, but I am in the sense that I really could care less about what people say or do. I love The Clash, The Ramones, The Misfits, The Sex Pistols, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphies, the list goes on basically.
Sunday, March 11, 2007 4:10 PM on j-body.org
G97R wrote:I guess I can call myself a punk, even though I don't have a mohawk, but I am in the sense that I really could care less about what people say or do. I love The Clash, The Ramones, The Misfits, The Sex Pistols, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphies, the list goes on basically.

Mohawk were really rare in the punk days. If guys did have one it was just the sides of their head shaved like Mr.T rather than a spiky hawk. Mostly people just wore their hair really short and had an earring or something. Even colored hair was fairly rare.

One funny thing about the spiky hawks though, the one time I did see someone with it (A girl) I asked her how she made it stick up so much. She used water with lots of sugar, "painted" the hair and used a hairdrying to make the hair crisp up. Clever.

Monday, March 12, 2007 9:43 AM on j-body.org
yeah i know, not a single person at our school does anything like that, they mostly just have the Mr. T mohawk like u said. The big thing now is Emo. Since my school is really small (like my entire town has about 3500 people) there's only a few. Basically you're either a prep, hillbilly, emo, or a skater kid. I'd say punk is basically dead aside from me and my friends.

Monday, March 12, 2007 10:00 AM on j-body.org
G97R wrote:Basically you're either a prep, hillbilly, emo, or a skater kid. I'd say punk is basically dead aside from me and my friends.
so i guess that would mean punk isn't dead. Like all highschools there are different groups, My highschool also had those groups but to add one group: the white gangsta.

Monday, March 12, 2007 4:25 PM on j-body.org
good point lol and yeah i forgot about the white gangsta kids (they're pretty funny cause they say 'son' like all the time"
Monday, March 12, 2007 5:11 PM on j-body.org
Any "Gangsta" kids make me laugh...especially the way they walk...do they honestly believe that I'll think they were injured in 'nam?

Anyhow, punk...not too many good styles of punk out nowadays. Emo's always been lame IMHO. I prefer the oldschool stuff, though.

However, honorable mention goes to Devin Townsend and his "Punky Brüster" project...about the best satire on the pop punk scene there is.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaği, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, March 12, 2007 8:15 PM on j-body.org
Green Day is pop punk? In my opinion Green Day is the best punk band to ever exist. 1989-Present, and still going very strong. Meaningful lyrics and an great sound. They have evolved throughout the years, but not lost the soul. Unlike some "punk", like Ramones, Black Flag, etc who have ONE sound, and are dust now.

Also notable mention, two of my top favorite bands who were fabricating the genre since the late seventies, Social Distortion and Bad Religion...

Monday, March 12, 2007 8:26 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]Any "Gangsta" kids make me laugh...especially the way they walk...do they honestly believe that I'll think they were injured in 'nam?

Anyhow, punk...not too many good styles of punk out nowadays. Emo's always been lame IMHO. I prefer the oldschool stuff, though.

However, honorable mention goes to Devin Townsend and his "Punky Brüster" project...about the best satire on the pop punk scene there is.

I'm liking the political punk scene. Anti-Flag, Against Me!, et al.

Monday, March 12, 2007 8:57 PM on j-body.org
I like Emo i think it sounds alot a better then alot of the music that happend in 2000s i mean at least they use don't rap on there songs. such as linkin park,slipknot,limp bizkit, korn (i think started they whole thing) even odd ball bands like orgy on there album Punkstatik paranoina Jay gordon raps. My favorite emo band is It dies today even thought the lead singer left. Punk has been watered down so much it's pretty much gone. Im 26 so i had to deal with rap rock all these young kids have better music to isten too then i did. Is emo going to die out probaly. will it leave a bitter taste in every ones mouth like grundge and rap rock i dont think so. so let punk rest in peace. let rap rock burn in hell .
Monday, March 12, 2007 9:18 PM on j-body.org
A lot of music is being unfairly classed as emo.

At the same time, emo is being unfairly classed as a lot of music that it is not...

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 6:52 AM on j-body.org
Grunge evaporated the day that Kurt Cobain killed himself.

Pearl Jam is really the only band left out of that movement... well, PJ and Foo Fighters. It's not as if it shred itself apart or droned itself into mediocrity (ala Rock in the early 90's and basically all of the 80's after New Wave), it made its mark, and that was that... it hasn't reasserted itself. Either way, Emo is hopefully going to be a flash in the pan, and hiphop infused rock isn't likely to return, but it was a product of the time. Hip Hop is on life support, Electro isn't big enough outside dance halls, and Rock is still kinda dull and is basically just re-hashing the same crap over and over again... it really is what pushed me back to classic rock from the 60's, 70's and early 80's, electro, and Classical/opera.

Rock and roll died about 20 years ago, there's no sense in trying to revive it.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 8:14 AM on j-body.org
Well, the way it looks is that on the metal scene, Unless you go for strictly Euro Metal, there will be a beat-oriented influence. That's not bad, per se, but unfortunately a lot of bands are emphasizing the beats to the detriment of the guitar and bass. That i just can't get into. It seems like a lot of american metal is going this direction, but whatever--it's what sells, right? Personally, I don't think metal will go away anytime soon--there's too much of a big scene in Europe.

Rock and roll itself IMHO is dead except ofr an underground scene.

The punk/emo thing. For me, punk is mainly political (doesn't have to be), and most of the time...angry. Emo doesn't come off angry to me, it comes off, well, depressed and whiny. Hence, i don't really classify them as the same genre.

Pop Punk imho is just that. It's punk, but it has all the hallmarks of anything pop, watered-down lyrics and music that is basically manufactured (rather than created) that has the whole purpose of being sold and sounding like everything else out there that's selling. Hence, why I like the farse that "Punky Brüster" made of it (it also took potshots at metal).

Anyhow, even though I like some punk, i woudn't consider myself huge into it. My focus is on Classical/opera, a lot of metal genres (not really homeboy metal though), goth, industrial, and anything comedic.

Anyhow, while i'm on my soapbox, i have a vent. So, i'm not in a band, but I sometimes take pictures for bands. Anyhow, i've seen bands that I love and can get really into, and bands I can't. Now, to me, hopw many can actually say they've been on stage in front of people and performed? Very few, but it's not an easy thing to do. So usually, when i'm at a venue, i'll cheer on any of the other bands there, even if i'm not into their style, because even though you can play an instrument, it's a whole different ballgame doing it on stage. I personally find this...professional courtesy. Well, one thing that gets on my tits is when another band will NOT at least give a "hey, good job out there" when the following act upstages them. Same goes for if a preceding act is more solid and tight than theirs. If it's supposed to be about the music, then enjoy it .

Hell, one of my favorites could be playing (Bling Guardian, Children of Bodom, Nevermore, Skinny Puppy, Hanzel und Gretyl), and they could be playing with some band that's incredibly vapid IMHO (say, Trixter or Shaggy), and i'd at least clap for them and and go to them after the set and say, "Hey, good job man!"

Anyhow, sorry about the rant...

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Wednesday, March 14, 2007 5:28 PM on j-body.org
I feel guilty for bringing up emo lol. But the punk scene is dying (unfortunately) and its pop punk like Good Charlotte that's killing it (yeah i said it). I agree Green Day WAS once a punk band, but I believe they sold out and are now pop-punk, i still love them, but i just think they sold out. What i think is hilarious is that the Misfits are still producing music to this day and will have an album later this year (supposedly, dont quote me on this).

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 5:48 PM on j-body.org
Fugazi, Minor Threat, Black Flag = awesome hardcore from back in the day.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:29 PM on j-body.org
G97R wrote:I feel guilty for bringing up emo lol. But the punk scene is dying (unfortunately) and its pop punk like Good Charlotte that's killing it (yeah i said it). I agree Green Day WAS once a punk band, but I believe they sold out and are now pop-punk, i still love them, but i just think they sold out. What i think is hilarious is that the Misfits are still producing music to this day and will have an album later this year (supposedly, dont quote me on this).

Punk rock doesn't get played on national tv. Well, not until the band is in the 'reunuion tour' stage.

That's my take on it.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 7:59 AM on j-body.org
Well, this is the Misfits without Danzig. It's just not the same. It's like Black Flag without Rollins--or on a parallel, Queen without Mercury.

But hey! some good news...we haven't heard from Fred Durst in awhile. Ditto on Lard...er...Lars Ulrich.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thursday, March 15, 2007 4:13 PM on j-body.org
lol nice
i like both danzig and no-danzig misfits, they have a good sound. I'm a fan of metal too. Rob Zombie, Disturbed, SOAD, that sorta thing. I'm basically all over with rock. Pop-punk (very little of it), metal, punk, hardcore, emo, thrash metal, death metal, the list goes on. I'd say punk is my fav though
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search