Arranged marriages - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Arranged marriages
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:35 PM on j-body.org
Ok so this may not be the most common of arguments but everyones view of having parents arrange a marriage for you.

I dont see a problem with it. My parents know me better than anyone. Id trust them more than a friend who sets me up with some ho. I mean there still has to be some free will in it. If my mom sets me up with Hogzilla I want some veto power over that.

Maybe this would help solve our divorce issues in America.

Re: Arranged marriages
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:38 PM on j-body.org
I don't see how being forced to marry someone you don't know....against your will would curtail divorce rates.

Only argument I could see that making sense in would be the fact that if you are in an arranged marriage culture, you most likely are not afforded the ability to divorce.

I'll pass on an arranged marriage.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:13 PM on j-body.org
Getting advice from someone is different than being forced to do something.

That's like saying that your parents think idb is a good thing for you. You'd have no problem with them deciding that you're going to take it idb?

[/End thread]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:21 PM on j-body.org
It works for some cultures. Going back to ancient times, people have been in arranged marriages. True, those countries have lower divorce rates as opposed to no-fault places like ours.

The divorce rate in this country, in my opinion can be directly attributed to selfishness. Actually any crime can too, now that I think about it. Insisting on your own way rather than trying to make the other person happy. If both get on board and give up "I WANT", it makes for a better marriage. If the wife chooses to, or needs to work outside the home, then her rascal of a husband had better do his share of home-keeping too. Adultery arises from selfishness. "I deserve better than this....She doesn't satisfy MY needs etc"

Would it work here? Not very often.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:29 PM on j-body.org
Well in most areas where this is practiced you are married into a family of whom you know very well so it wouldnt exactly be someone you completely dont know. She would be more of a friend who you would grow to love or tolerate.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:46 PM on j-body.org
More of a financial/ political building thing though. If the girl is exceptionally beautiful, she might have a shot at marrying someone from a wealthier/ more influential family.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:53 PM on j-body.org
Well thats true if it makes a difference but I dont think lower middle class families are marrying their children for a financial gain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:53 PM

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 10:11 AM on j-body.org
arn't most women in countries that still having arranged marriages treated as second class citizins? their bred and raised to think that their man is evertyhing and they should do as they are told and be obedient. so sure divorces are less because their trained to believe that that is what is good for them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, April 02, 2009 8:34 AM on j-body.org
I think the low divorce rate in those countries may have more to do with the fact that divorcing someone your parents set you up with would actually be very disrepectful than a matter of making women second class. There are still Arranged marriages in Israel?Palestine and women are equal there usually.

Monday, April 06, 2009 9:49 AM on j-body.org
The reason divorce is so high is because most people shouldnt get married in the first place

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Monday, April 06, 2009 10:02 AM on j-body.org
Why not just have arranged careers as well? Then you just need the government to assign your leisure time, and you pretty much have your whole life predetermined for you.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com

Monday, April 06, 2009 3:29 PM on j-body.org
Rodimus Prime wrote:The reason divorce is so high is because most people shouldnt get married in the first place
Such insight...
Geeky wrote:Why not just have arranged careers as well? Then you just need the government to assign your leisure time, and you pretty much have your whole life predetermined for you.
It got China a few gold medals in '08 lol.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Tuesday, April 07, 2009 7:48 PM on j-body.org
Rodimus Prime wrote:The reason divorce is so high is because most people shouldnt get married in the first place

Uh huh. So youre advocating single parent families or collective child raising? Or just making random comments?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search