Obama threatens to Veto his own bill - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Obama threatens to Veto his own bill
Monday, July 13, 2009 11:36 PM on j-body.org
Obama Threatens to Veto His Own Defense Bill Over F-22 Funding
Quote:

It's not every day that a president threatens to veto his own defense spending bill.

But that's the rare position President Obama finds himself taking after senators made an 11th hour addition of $1.75 billion to buy seven F-22 fighter jets whose price tag has ballooned to about $350 million apiece.

The fifth generation fighter jet has been overtaken by the newer F-35, critics argue, and Obama wants to keep with the recommendation of former President George W. Bush and cap the purchase at 187 jets.

The president's not alone in opposing the change. He's also got the Democratic chairman of the Senate Armed Service Committee, Sen. Carl Levin, and his former GOP rival Sen. John McCain -- a war hero himself -- on his side.

But with jobs on the line, other senators are putting up a fight for the F-22.

Sen. Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga., whose state would lose at least 2,000 jobs should the cap be imposed, pushed for the seven extra F-22's to be built.

"While the administration is emphasizing winning current conflicts, its stance regarding the F-22 does not adequately account for other kinds of threats," Chambliss said.

But the F-22 requires 30 hours of maintenance for every hour of flying time and costs the taxpayer about $44,000 an hour to fly, according to confidential Pentagon test results.

"This plane has never flown over Iraq or Afghanistan -- the two wars that we are in," McCain said.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Adm. Michael Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, wrote to senators Monday to express their dismay at the 11th hour addition.

"We strongly believe that the time has come to close the F-22 production line. If the Congress sends legislation to the president that requires acquisition of additional F-22 aircraft beyond fiscal year 2009, the secretary of defense will strongly recommend he veto it," the letter said.

Gates earlier said the insertion of more money, into the already $680 billion defense budget, for F-22s posed a "big problem" for him.

Analysts say it would be unprecedented for a defense secretary and chairman of the Joint Chiefs to urge the president to veto their own defense bill.

But they, and Obama, have made clear that they view such expenditures as wasteful.

"We do not need these planes. That is why I will veto any bill that supports acquisition of F-22s beyond the 187 already funded by Congress," Obama said in a letter Monday to senators.

Meanwhile, another last-minute potential showdown is brewing that could stall the defense bill.

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., told FOX News she plans to introduce an amendment Tuesday that would halt the enforcement of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" legislation for 18 months.

"We are losing some of the best and the brightest when we need them. We have two wars, we have Afghanistan, we have Iraq, we have missions all across the world right now that need the best and the brightest, and I think we shouldn't be limiting ourselves," Gillibrand said.

The amendment would halt the Defense Department from removing any openly gay members of the military from serving for the next 18 months while the administration and the Pentagon review the policy.
I mostly agree with the move except to say... what happened to the line item veto? I also saw this...

Quote:

Sen. Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga., whose state would lose at least 2,000 jobs should the cap be imposed, pushed for the seven extra F-22's to be built.

$350,000,000(a piece) x 7 = $2,450,000,000
$2,450,000,000 / 2000(jobs saved) = $1,225,000 per "job saved." That makes perfect sense...

I'd bet one of those affected defense contractors gave this good senator a hefty bri.... err I mean DONATION

Re: Obama threatens to Veto his own bill
Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:45 AM on j-body.org
ive never understood that crap. just sign in bills based on what it is don't add crap to it that doesnt have anything to do with it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:23 AM on j-body.org
sndsgood wrote:ive never understood that crap. just sign in bills based on what it is don't add crap to it that doesnt have anything to do with it.

This is why the president should have and use line item veto. I am so sick of all this pork and pet projects getting thrown in. That was my biggest reason for supporting McCain.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:35 AM on j-body.org
Wade Jarvis wrote:
sndsgood wrote:ive never understood that crap. just sign in bills based on what it is don't add crap to it that doesnt have anything to do with it.

This is why the president should have and use line item veto. I am so sick of all this pork and pet projects getting thrown in. That was my biggest reason for supporting McCain.

he would have done it too.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:37 AM on j-body.org
lol....I supported McCain of a few issues...

1)how many nuclear power plants was he gonna build? nuclear power = cheap electricity.... plus whose gonna mess with a nation that has 40 + nuclear power plants? Where I'm from the power company has a 20+% increase every other season. My average electric bill runs $180/month....is BS....

2)I believe he was gonna look into offshore drilling...perhaps alaskan drilling too... I have 4 vehicles.... two 03 cavaliers, 04 dodge stratus, and a 2500 4x4 Dodge Cummins.... last year the 2.7 in the stratus was locked up and one of my 03's is off the road and both are 2 door, so the only vehicle that could hold me, my pregnant wife, and our 3 kids was the Quad Cab diesel...unfortunately diesel was $4.59/gallon.... so yeah, that gets old after a while....

3) McCain still believes in serving the American people. He served this country in the military, was a POW, and knows the consequences of these countries like iran if left unchecked.

but yeah, obama is just trying to keep himself looking good....

-Red-
Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:52 AM on j-body.org
J03Y wrote:
Wade Jarvis wrote:

he would have done it too.

QFT

THE POLITICALLY INCORRECT ONE.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search