Obama tells blacks to stop trying to be Lebron - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Obama tells blacks to stop trying to be Lebron
Friday, July 17, 2009 6:11 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

NEW YORK (Reuters) – President Barack Obama had a tough-love message for fellow African-Americans on Thursday, urging black parents to push their children to think beyond dreams of being sports stars or rap music performers.

Obama's election as the first African-American president buoyed the black community. At the 100th anniversary celebration of the NAACP, the country's oldest civil rights group, he urged blacks to take greater responsibility for themselves and move away from reliance on government programs.

"We need a new mindset, a new set of attitudes -- because one of the most durable and destructive legacies of discrimination is the way that we have internalized a sense of limitation; how so many in our community have come to expect so little of ourselves," he said.

Obama told a packed ballroom at a Manhattan hotel that blacks need to recapture the spirit of the civil rights movement of a half century ago to tackle problems that have struck African-Americans disproportionately -- joblessness, spiraling healthcare costs and HIV-AIDS.

"What is required to overcome today's barriers is the same as was needed then -- the same commitment. The same sense of urgency. The same sense of sacrifice," he said.

Obama said parents need to force their children to set aside the video games and get to bed at a reasonable hour, and push them to set their sights beyond such iconic figures as NBA star LeBron James and rap singer Lil Wayne.

Education is the path to a better future, said Obama.

"Our kids can't all aspire to be the next LeBron or Lil Wayne. I want them aspiring to be scientists and engineers, doctors and teachers, not just ballers and rappers. I want them aspiring to be a Supreme Court justice. I want them aspiring to be president of the United States," he said.

Obama noted that his own life could have taken a different path, had it not been for his mother's urgings.

'SHE TOOK NO LIP'

"That mother of mine gave me love; she pushed me, and cared about my education," he said. "She took no lip and taught me right from wrong. Because of her, I had a chance to make the most of my abilities. I had the chance to make the most of my opportunities. I had the chance to make the most of life."

Thank god. Maybe this will mean there will be less Solja Boy's in the world.

Take his politics as you like, but I think this is a message even Quiklilcav can agree with.

Re: Obama tells blacks to stop trying to be Lebron
Friday, July 17, 2009 6:25 AM on j-body.org
ThatGuy85 wrote:Take his politics as you like, but I think this is a message even Quiklilcav can agree with.

LMAO. Yeah, I agree with stuff like this, but I've never said that he doesn't talk a good talk.

Friday, July 17, 2009 6:45 AM on j-body.org
Would have been a better speech if he would have added in "America does not owe you anything, the white man does not owe you anything"

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:
and I'm NOT a pedo. everyone knows i've got a wheelchair fetish.

Friday, July 17, 2009 8:42 AM on j-body.org
Harrington (Fiber Faber) wrote:Would have been a better speech if he would have added in "America does not owe you anything, the white man does not owe you anything"

That would just make it like most of his other speaches: him saying something he doesn't actually believe in.

Friday, July 17, 2009 9:33 AM on j-body.org
There are several black scientists, engineers, geniuses and prodigies, just not many American ones. You'll find a vast difference in behavior and mentality between African Americans and say... Black British people of Fijian descent. Sure, there's the Yo-yo crowd everywhere, but African Americans are unique in the depth of their despair and lack of belief in themselves. Hell, just got to L.A. and you'll see a ridiculous sight: The leaders of STREET GANGS depressed and dispirited because Mexican Gangs are more successful. Beside the Native Americans, I can think of no other large group of people who are so nihilistic en masse.

If slavery has one genuine lasting consequence (Never mind that bull@!#$ about reparations and "Blame Whitey", no money will fix this and white people can't take the blame for their ancestor's sins.) it's that American Blacks were taught and trained to be passive and have a broken spirit from birth, and that has rippled through the generations right up to today.

They do need tough love.

Still though, I don't think that speech addresses one of the core problems in the black community psyche. It doesn't confront the deepest and darkest demon they have; which is simply that most of those pathetic ghetto black people believe, deep down, that the racists are right about them. That they are inferior and stupid and doomed to be nothing but a bunch of born criminals and drug addicts unless the white man leads them around on a leash. You can see why they would think that. Racists say a disproportionate amount of blacks go to jail and that it must be a "genetic" thing, and what do black people see all the time? Blacks commiting crimes and going to jail, and Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson aside, these black kids aren't blind. They know that most of these guys getting arrested and sent up are guilty as hell. So it makes them wonder about themselves. They see their own community, completely independently of the white man, victimize them. They see black people treat other black people a million times worse than any white man would.

So they wonder, and that makes them afraid. Afraid of themselves.

Personally, I think they're so terrified of even voicing this fear that they just go into denial mode the minute it appears in their head. So it just festers there and does the damage that we see.

Poor bastards.

Friday, July 17, 2009 9:49 AM on j-body.org
ThatGuy85 wrote:[ he urged blacks to take greater responsibility for themselves and move away from reliance on government programs.

am i the only one who finds this a funny statement coming from this administration?

Friday, July 17, 2009 10:53 AM on j-body.org
(tabs) wrote:
ThatGuy85 wrote:he urged blacks to take greater responsibility for themselves and move away from reliance on government programs.

am i the only one who finds this a funny statement coming from this administration?

No, but it's something else he doesn't really believe, yet it's coming from his mouth.

The sad truth is this:

What he says: "I want Americans to get away from relying on government programs"

What he does: pass one program after another that increases the dependency on government programs, and reduces the possibility of people getting off of them.

What most Americans see: He's trying to help our economy and create jobs.

Friday, July 17, 2009 4:42 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

Obama noted that his own life could have taken a different path, had it not been for his mother's urgings.

'SHE TOOK NO LIP'

"That mother of mine gave me love; she pushed me, and cared about my education," he said. "She took no lip and taught me right from wrong. Because of her, I had a chance to make the most of my abilities. I had the chance to make the most of my opportunities. I had the chance to make the most of life."

And what color was his Mother?

It's 2 different mindsets. Until the "You owe me" attitude dies, blacks will continue to be their own worst enemy. The proof is in the many successful black businessmen, lawyers, and doctors. They didn't buy into the excuse mentality and succeeded, many in spite of racist blockades put in front of them.

“Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism. Nobody gets in life exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard, and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.” Conan O'Brien

Saturday, July 18, 2009 6:16 AM on j-body.org
The message of that speech was for everyone.....black, white, mexican etc.

White America has developed a sense of entitlement too. Oh we sit back poo-pooing alleged racism whenever we see it......grumbling about blacks on welfare and baby's mommas etc. Just look around.....just look at D.C. and the rampant ramped-up welfare state we are entering into. Poor ol whitey cant pay his mortgage.....cant get a job.....blame it on the wall street fatcats.....We ALL need to take responsibility for our own actions, choice of careers, investment choices etc. When our fat children just sit around playing xbox, rip the controller out of their hands and make them go outside and play, then MAKE them read books during the summer....a book club if you will.

I know I'm rambling, but over the last couple of years, I've begun to see whites as just like every other group....blaming the system + looking for a handout. Grow up America....our grandparents are ashamed.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Saturday, July 18, 2009 9:13 AM on j-body.org
GOD! I hate it when I agree with Scott.

“Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism. Nobody gets in life exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard, and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.” Conan O'Brien

Saturday, July 18, 2009 5:57 PM on j-body.org
BigBob wrote:GOD! I hate it when I agree with Scott.

The only thing more annoying than reading his posts is actually finding yourself agreeing with him.

Sunday, July 19, 2009 8:40 PM on j-body.org
I think this is the first pres to ever use the world "baller" or even know what it means

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Monday, July 20, 2009 1:16 PM on j-body.org
Rodimus Prime wrote:I think this is the first pres to ever use the world "baller" or even know what it means

lol

as a side note. the black community has turned into a street thug mentallity that pretty much ostricises you from its club if you are the type to go to school. try and get an education and become something. they tag you as an uncle tom and a sellout to the black race. they want you to act hard and hang out on street corners and be gangsta and a baller instead of working yoru way out of the ghetto.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, July 20, 2009 6:16 PM on j-body.org
sndsgood wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:I think this is the first pres to ever use the world "baller" or even know what it means

lol

as a side note. the black community has turned into a street thug mentallity that pretty much ostricises you from its club if you are the type to go to school. try and get an education and become something. they tag you as an uncle tom and a sellout to the black race. they want you to act hard and hang out on street corners and be gangsta and a baller instead of working yoru way out of the ghetto.

sometimes, not all the time, if you live in the hood you will become like the people from the hood.
I grew up in a bad neighbor hood, and that's why I got the FCK out of there. all my cousins who decided to stay in that neighbor hood they all have a criminal record for stupid @!#$ [drugs, stealing and fighting and just wasting their lives]
if they're going to tag you as an uncle tom, get the hell out; that would be the smart thing to do.

"I See No CHANGE"
Tuesday, July 21, 2009 10:05 AM on j-body.org
spoiler wrote:
sndsgood wrote:

lol

sometimes, not all the time, if you live in the hood you will become like the people from the hood.
I grew up in a bad neighbor hood, and that's why I got the FCK out of there. all my cousins who decided to stay in that neighbor hood they all have a criminal record for stupid @!#$ [drugs, stealing and fighting and just wasting their lives]
if they're going to tag you as an uncle tom, get the hell out; that would be the smart thing to do.

i grew up in a crappy neighbor hood as well. neighbors across the street sold dope to everyone, neighbor across me would try and break into others houses etc etc etc and i managed to get out. well im white though so i obviously had it easy. most dont get tagged the uncle tom because they dont want to get to that point and have their boys call them out so they just hang out, and not even try.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:02 AM on j-body.org
If that is how Obama really felt he would have only been to Jeremiah Wrights church a few times not gone for 20 some years.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:47 AM on j-body.org
@!#$ OBAMA!! and all those who think he is great! If you are offended then ths means you dumb @ss!
Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:32 AM on j-body.org
Wiezer Walley wrote:@!#$ OBAMA!! and all those who think he is great! If you are offended then ths means you dumb @ss!
That's certainly an air-tight argument...

(sigh)

When you sober up in the morning and read your own comment - feel free to facepalm.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search