Why is F**k a bad word again? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Why is F**k a bad word again?
Sunday, September 27, 2009 11:58 AM on j-body.org
Apparently it's a big deal that someone said it on SNL. Umm.... why? Is this 1950? Being French, I seriously never really understood the English, and especially American, phobia of swearing. When someone swears like a sailor in English, everyone is shocked. When someone swears like a sailor in French, everyone is not shocked, and we know to sort of avoid that person since he/she has a limited vocabulary. Very useful. The occasional swear though? That's not even noticed in French. Like if a little kid slipped and said the Frenchist equivalent of F**k, parents wouldn't notice, much less punish them.

Anyone can explain to me why swearing is bad? Because I seriously don't know why it is.

Re: Why is F**k a bad word again?
Sunday, September 27, 2009 12:15 PM on j-body.org
As weird and twisted as society has become America especially is still anchored by Puritan rules and ideologies. So we have been raised to think that swearing is for serious occasions if at all. It is a bad word or meaning a bad thing. To @!#$ as usual means just that sex, well sex was a act that was private and therefore not something to be spoken about openly. Relating that to the word, you can follow that people would find the word deplorable originally. Now people just use it as 'the worst word" possible. I use it to generally demean a situation that its annoying me. However if I am really trying to have a negative effect on a person I lay into them with well thought out phrasing, basically what you were saying about the French.

I laugh when people get so overly offended about it, since I can be much more offensive without a "bad word".

off topic I didn't know you were French Knox kinda makes an understanding on your stances in the War forum. (By the way not trying to start @!#$ simply saying I understand your thinking and where you are coming from better)

I accidentally the SHIFT LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

The proper way of using the word seen. It is not I seen it that would be I saw it. He has seen the car is the right way to use the word. English class is Cool. By the way thats my sig
Sunday, September 27, 2009 12:38 PM on j-body.org
your french, no one expects you to be polite

lol. sorry, had to noxy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Sunday, September 27, 2009 5:07 PM on j-body.org
You ended your post with " lol "

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Sunday, September 27, 2009 7:59 PM on j-body.org
Because we're American, people expect us to be more civilized then you Frenchies!

Monday, September 28, 2009 5:48 AM on j-body.org
because everything sounds gay in french.

<3

Friday, October 02, 2009 12:22 AM on j-body.org
OK some history LOL

The sexual connotation to the F-word (language filter is gunna make this hard lol) actually came from an acronym... way back in the day when it was highly frowned upon by a woman to have sex out of wedlock amongst other things....

When someone did that they would call it fornicating under carnal knowledge. or

F-ornicating
U-nder
C-arnal
K-nowledge

and people just started to say F-ing instead,,,

As for why people started saying F U and giving people the finger to show defiance..... thats a longer story....

Back in the midevel times in some country I dont remember when people would draw a bow they would call it F-ing thier you (apparently thats how they said drawing your bow in the language at the time)

And when this said country was in a certain war with another country (that I also cant remember at this time) when the other country would cath their archers and take them as prisoners... they would cut off thier middle finger so they could not draw a bow against thier country again..... and this became known on both sides...... so when the archers entered battle they would hold thier middle fingers high in the air to show them they they still had said finger and could draw thier bow (or F thier you) in battle against them.... and somehow it just stuck over the years..

As for why people get so pissed when you say it... I never understood it either.... its just a damn word..

Friday, October 02, 2009 1:51 AM on j-body.org
weebel, i've gotten that e-mail rounder a few times... and it's false.

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/f***.asp (if you want to view that site at your own discression, replace the *** with the proper letters).

as for why the f-word is so taboo, i think M-1 Erma Jean hit the nail on the head. this nation was started by some of the most up-tight, pius tight wads... and far too many of those traditions are still around today.

oh yeah, and the middle finger origin is false as well. http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/pluckyew.asp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, October 02, 2009 1:57 AM

Friday, October 02, 2009 7:48 PM on j-body.org
i thought it was fornicate under command of the king, not carnal knowledge. Thats what i read anyway, dont hold me to it.

---

Friday, October 02, 2009 8:57 PM on j-body.org
"fornicate under consent of king" or "for use of carnal knowledge" are the two terms most commonly thought to have been used, both debunked in the snopes article i posted.

weebel just joined the two for a whole new term.

Friday, October 02, 2009 9:07 PM on j-body.org
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26UA578yQ5g

It's of German etymology. Didn't you pay attention during the audio-vocabulary lessons in school?

Actually, it comes more from the Swedish word "focka" which can mean strike or fornicate, but there are a few other similar words which also have similar pronunciation and meaning.

As for why is it a bad word? Because it's extreme. There isn't a stronger word for the act. If you don't have a level of separation between various levels intensity in a language, it's a form of desensitizing.

Friday, October 02, 2009 9:25 PM on j-body.org
E-mail? what E-mail? LOL

I was just told that a long time ago somewhere.... I dont remember fir sure where I heard what I typed from...

Either way.... No matter what you think its probably wrong LOL

Saturday, October 03, 2009 4:46 PM on j-body.org
Some academics who study ancient cultures have this theory:

In nearly every civilization on earth, the equivalent of the term "fcuk you" exists as a derogatory epithet, one to show extreme disgust with and/or power over the recipient. Yet, all of these civilizations and languages obviously developed apart from one another...how could this commom "custom" be so widespread?

We need only look at the behavior of modern-day apes, our closest cousins. Many of these species live together in social groups, and these groups share a distinct hierarchy of power and status. Typcially, an alpha male becomes the dominant leader. In some species, the alpha male will, in a display of dominance, actually mount and hump not only females, but also males. In many cases, these alpha males are old and impotent, and actual penetration cannot even occur. But it's the symbolism of the gesture...he is showing his authoritay by making it a display, for all to see. Of course, the lesser apes just submit to the humiliation.

So the phrase "I fcuk you", or shortened to "fcuk you", goes waaaaay back. Before we could actually say it, our long ago ancestors had to express it in another way!

Saturday, October 03, 2009 6:10 PM on j-body.org
@!#$

wysiwyg wrote:i would say they bang, they don't really pound so much. but if
you want to bump, then they will bump and hit real hard and a lot good.

LOL
Sunday, October 04, 2009 6:56 AM on j-body.org
^^^ That's the same vid I posted 1/2 way up the page.

Sunday, October 04, 2009 7:17 AM on j-body.org
i didnt think it was? i use it quite often.

Familiar Taste of Poison.
Sunday, October 04, 2009 8:20 AM on j-body.org
Greedy Capitalist Pig wrote:^^^ That's the same vid I posted 1/2 way up the page.

Oops, I thought I checked for it being posted, probably didn't catch it because it didn't start the same being on youtube.

wysiwyg wrote:i would say they bang, they don't really pound so much. but if
you want to bump, then they will bump and hit real hard and a lot good.

LOL
Sunday, October 04, 2009 10:28 AM on j-body.org
Dont press play until the movie is loaded LOL

Anyone else think that was funny?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search