Essential guns (for those non gun haters) - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Essential guns (for those non gun haters)
Saturday, March 06, 2010 4:05 AM on j-body.org
If you could only have 4 guns of various calibers what would you choose and why?

Mine would be my FNAR 308 cal 20rd semi automatic for large(ish) game hunting.
22lr make and model are debatable. Ruger 10/22, S&W 15-22 semi auto as well for small game hunting.
Springfield Armory 40 cal Service for personal protection
Winchester 1300 Defender for home protection and small game hunting.

An AR-15 would be nice, but the 308 can do anything the AR can do and more, it's just not as portable.

Re: Essential guns (for those non gun haters)
Saturday, March 06, 2010 5:52 AM on j-body.org
ruger 10/22 for small game or my marlin sq
remington 870 12ga for home defense
remington 700 in 308 (my long range gun rather than my AR)
glock 21 9mm

Saturday, March 06, 2010 7:55 AM on j-body.org
What, no handguns? You guys are no fun!

Saturday, March 06, 2010 8:57 PM on j-body.org
.......Thread Destroyer....... wrote:What, no handguns? You guys are no fun!
You claim to be a gun owner in another thread, but fail to recognize that 2 of the above mentioned guns are indeed handguns?

I'm gonna have to conclude that you're just trying to be annoying or don't actually own or have any knowledge of guns.

Saturday, March 06, 2010 9:13 PM on j-body.org
Jeez. Now gun snobbery.

I don't claim expert knowledge of the specs above, frankly. I do see the Glock now, and my amateur self does seem to recall that's a name associated with handguns.

You may not realize that some folks own guns that don't worship at the altar of all that is firearms! My personal collection is two handguns (a .45 ACP revolver and a Walther "Modell PP" .22) and also a .22 rifle. Simple stuff, but fun.

Saturday, March 06, 2010 9:28 PM on j-body.org
.......Thread Destroyer....... wrote:Jeez. Now gun snobbery.

I don't claim expert knowledge of the specs above, frankly. I do see the Glock now, and my amateur self does seem to recall that's a name associated with handguns.

You may not realize that some folks own guns that don't worship at the altar of all that is firearms! My personal collection is two handguns (a .45 ACP revolver and a Walther "Modell PP" .22) and also a .22 rifle. Simple stuff, but fun.
Sorry, actually I thought you were just trying to be annoying.

The Springfield Armory .40 cal is a semi auto pistol also.

I've thought about getting a Walther P22, but I'm waiting to see the Kel-Tec PMR-30 (22 mag caliber that holds 30 rounds in the grip). I have a 45 also, but it's not ACP. .45 Colt FTL, but it'll fit right in if I decide to get the Rossi Circuit Judge Maybe this is the right link (firearms is blocked at work)

Saturday, March 06, 2010 9:42 PM on j-body.org
It's cool. I know annoying is in my portfolio!

Yeah, I love the P22. It's old-school, but it's such a well-executed piece. Compact, so well balanced, fits my hand like it was born there. The revolver is just a curiosity, lol...I don't even have ammo for it currently.

I am very fortunate in that I can step outside my back door and shoot targets. I have a huge berm built just for this. I currently live on the edge of a state forest, and its just freaking beautiful!

Saturday, March 06, 2010 10:43 PM on j-body.org
Id like to say .50 cal...but there just a Novelty...

Sako Bolt Action in .338 Lapua Mag

Kimber Pro Compact .45

Remington 870

An AR of some sort....prolly not in .223 though

Saturday, March 06, 2010 11:16 PM on j-body.org
Barret 50 cal, simply just to @!#$ @!#$ up.
street sweeper shotgun, to @!#$ more @!#$ up.
a mounted 50 cal machine gun, to @!#$ some of the other @!#$ up
and a mini gun, to @!#$ any other @!#$ up that the above happened to miss.

Saturday, March 06, 2010 11:47 PM on j-body.org
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Barret 50 cal, simply just to @!#$ @!#$ up.
street sweeper shotgun, to @!#$ more @!#$ up.
a mounted 50 cal machine gun, to @!#$ some of the other @!#$ up
and a mini gun, to @!#$ any other @!#$ up that the above happened to miss.

someone plays too much call of duty lol

Sunday, March 07, 2010 12:56 AM on j-body.org
M2 50 cal
GAU 8A
Benelli Semi Auto Shot Gun
M4 with ACOG IR Flashlight Rail System and Full Auto Bolt Mod
.45 Desert Eagle or genuine Luger.

The way i see it, essential is a state of Mind. If there is something out there that can get through the weapons described, they deserve to get me.....
Still wondering how I would engage targets with the GAU though...... Well my Z24 has a sunroof........

Sunday, March 07, 2010 1:48 AM on j-body.org
I kinda meant weapons that people could realistically have. The Barrett .50 cal even being a stretch.

I guess a few decided upon the weapons that cause the most destruction regardless of cost or availability.

Sunday, March 07, 2010 8:43 AM on j-body.org
weapons....

my pen is a weapon!

I have firearms. if owing a firearm makes you a killer, would a knife make you a slasher? or a lighter make you a arson? All of such could be called weapons, when used as such.
but most of us punch holes in paper...

Anyway.

M1A
AR15A2
M590
M1911 Officers

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Sunday, March 07, 2010 8:49 AM on j-body.org
With one exception I just picked the ones I have experience with. Not my fault the US has a *scary gun ban* that slowed production of the good and fun guns for so long.

If you want to play along that way...

AR15 with all attachments listed previously
benelli semi auto shotgun
MP5 *do not know their availability*
Luger

Sunday, March 07, 2010 8:53 AM on j-body.org
Get a fed for4, and pay the $200 stamp (i think that is how much it is) and any pre 1987 gun is yours.
as long as you pass the FBI back ground, and get a siting judge to sine off on it.

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Sunday, March 07, 2010 12:57 PM on j-body.org
Remington 1100 in 12 gauge, home defense and other uses.
Ruger 10/22 or Malrin 60 in .22 probably the 2 best autoloading .22 made small game and plinking
EAA Witness S/A Steel Compact Pistol in 10mm or 45 ACP, because you don't need to shoot more than once in personal defense
Custom Mauser 98 in 6.5x284 mainly for hunting but uniqueness and long range performance.

Then of course I can probably sneak this one by since buying muzzleloaders doesn't require a background check or FFL to transfer I wouldn't min a CVA kodiak in .45 mainly for hunting and the smoke.

Monday, March 08, 2010 9:07 PM on j-body.org
Mike Demo (Civic Eater) wrote:
GAU 8A

What are you going to mount that on?? If I am not mistaken its 1/3 the weight of the plane and can create as much as half the engine thrust in "recoil thrust" (?????) if fired continiously.

For me:

Mauser 1908 Brazilian in .35 Whelan (I trust it for anything here, worked quite well for me in Africa)
Remington 870 Express (mines only a 20 ga but it could still do a lot of damage)
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 (quite impressed by it so far)
Mauser VZ24 in .458 Win Mag (with tungston core bullets it could do quite a bit of damage)

There are many other calibers that I would like to have but I just picked those from my current collection.

Yes the .35 Whelen works on small game like coyotes/jackyls all the way up to Kudu. The .458 was built for water buffalo and that is all it has been used for (well there was a sow and boar, and a brush bull in there but it was the same trip). Almost got to use it on a dingo too.

Tuesday, March 09, 2010 4:25 PM on j-body.org
M200 Intervention .408 Cheytac
AA 12 12 ga.(obviously)
KRISS Vector .45 ACP
FN Five-SeveN 5.7x28mm

I agree with Mike Demo in that if they get throught that then I deserve to die. And who doesn't know that glock makes pistols?
Tuesday, March 09, 2010 6:45 PM on j-body.org
only one..... BFG9000

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:09 AM on j-body.org
mitdr774 wrote:
Mike Demo (Civic Eater) wrote:
GAU 8A

What are you going to mount that on?? If I am not mistaken its 1/3 the weight of the plane and can create as much as half the engine thrust in "recoil thrust" (?????) if fired continiously.

Actually my thought is more home defense. I figure I can have about a 2 mile perimeter if I source the property correctly.
My original thought was that my cav has a sunroof, but the crappy unibody would only be able to hold a .50 cal

Thursday, March 11, 2010 5:20 AM on j-body.org
Next question is....Where are you going to find the 30mm rounds for it?

Friday, March 12, 2010 11:41 PM on j-body.org
Essential guns?

a 22lr rifle for hunting small game (already have one)

12 gauge pump shotgun for hunting birds and some smaller animals.

either a 9mm or 45 handgun for personal defense sidearm (currently have a 9mm) some form of revolver could work too

Semi auto High powered rifle (wood stock or AR15-m4 or similar) for primary defense and hunting larger game.

Saturday, March 13, 2010 3:44 AM on j-body.org
Weebel wrote:Essential]
Semi auto High powered rifle (wood stock or AR15-m4 or similar) for primary defense and hunting larger game.
Kinda hard to take a deer down with a 223 (and not even legal in Tn where I do most of my hunting. Has to be .24 cal or higher, so a 243 is really the smallest you realistically can hunt with).

I'm assuming you meant 223. You could get the 6.8SPC or some other variant.

Saturday, March 13, 2010 9:24 AM on j-body.org
Weebel wrote:Essential guns?
I grew up in a rural setting (farming community) and even though we could have survived without them, I consider a certain amount of firearms "essential" even if it's just to eliminate varmints/stray dogs who get after the cattle/coyotes, not to mention the hunting for food aspect and all around enjoyment of lining up soda cans just to knock them off fence posts.

I have always and will always own a certain amount of guns, some for useful purposes, some for pure enjoyment. I absolutely love the Rossi Circuit Judge, but it's usefulness is almost non existent. A 410 isn't very useful when compared to a 12 gage and .45 Long Colts are poor unless you have a firearm capable of handling the +P loads like the Ruger Red Hawks or the Taurus "Raging Judge". If they would have made this in the .454 Cassul round (which will also shoot 45 Long Colt +P), I'd have jumped on it in a heartbeat. As it stands, it's not an accurate weapon even at 75-100 yds and the rifled 410 virtually useless due to the extreme spread of the shot due to the rifling.

Saturday, March 13, 2010 12:08 PM on j-body.org
I wasnt talking animals as big as deer, if you where after a deer you could put a slug barrel on the shotgun.

I wasnt talking real world LOL... I was making a list assuming society fell apart and you had to homestead and live off the land somewhere LOL.

IM not a hunter but would be if I had to.

Real world essential guns.... all you really need is a good handgun of some kind and a shotgun (preferably with an interchangeable slug barrel).

But a high powered semi auto rifle of some kind can never hurt.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search