DALLAS, TX -- Chevrolet's and General Motors' best-selling passenger car - the Cavalier - is introducing a fresh new look for the 2000 model year today at the Dallas Auto Show. Cavalier is the best-selling small car in the industry for the calendar year through February.
Responding to customer suggestions, the Chevrolet Cavalier brand team restyled the 2000 Cavalier with many exterior, interior, mechanical and electrical enhancements. "The more you know about Cavalier, the better it looks," said Steve Wagg, Chevrolet Cavalier brand manager. "We're enhancing the look and features of Cavalier to help it maintain its No. 1 status for General Motors as the corporation's best- selling carline for 12 of the last 16 years." Year 2000 Cavalier coupes, sedans and convertibles will be available in Chevrolet's 4,300 dealerships this summer. Chevy's consumer research reveals that Cavalier owners take pride in the exterior styling of their cars. Designers enhanced Cavalier's look for the 2000 model year with new body-color fascias on all models, crystal clear headlamp lenses and a new taillamp appearance. New wheel covers and aluminum wheels also enhance Cavalier's profile.
Exterior changes include two new colors: Dark Colorado Green Metallic and Ultra Silver Metallic. New hood and deck lid "bow tie" badges also enhance the exterior style of the 2000 Cavalier. The sporty Z24 coupe freshens its sporty appearance with new unique front fascias, fog lamps and rocker moldings, plus a more aggressive rear spoiler.
Inside, the 2000 Cavalier sports a new appearance as well as improved convenience based on customer requests. The more contemporary instrument panel features a new family of radios with optional CD players, radio data system controls on the up- level dual playback CD/cassette radio, and a radio theft system on all models.
Each radio retains power when the ignition is turned off for 10 minutes or until the door is opened so the customer can finish listening to a newscast or a favorite song. Vehicles equipped with remote keyless entry can also have radio station presets customized separately to each key fob.
A new center console features two front cupholders, in addition to the two in the armrest for rear-seat passengers. A new removable fifth cupholder in the center console can even accommodate today's "super-sized" drinks. The front console also features holders for CDs, cassettes and coins.
In response to customer input, the new illuminated automatic transmission shift indicator is easier to read. Children benefit from top-tether child-seat anchorage in all three rear-seat positions. Mechanically, a new standard four-wheel, antilock brake system provides smoother operation when needed. A new manual transmission and shifter has a more precise shift feel and a smoother shift into reverse. Cavalier's sequential fuel injected engines (2.2-liter L4 standard and optional 2.4-liter twin cam) have new Multec 2 fuel injectors for improved driveability, emissions and reliability. Traction control is also available with the four-speed automatic transmission.
Electrical changes include a new content theft security alarm system packaged with the optional remote keyless entry and power door locks. The new remote key fob includes a panic button which honks the horn and flashes the interior domelight and exterior daytime running lights. An antilock feature on power door lock vehicles prevents accidental lockout with the key in the ignition.
The 2000 Cavalier is also compatible with "OnStar," General Motors' advanced communications system. OnStar, a dealer- installed option, integrates on-board advanced vehicle electronics with Global Positioning System satellite technology and a cellular phone to link the driver and the vehicle with a variety of services, such as travel directions, roadside assistance and emergency services.
Standard Cavalier features for the year 2000 include: air- conditioning, rear window defogger, battery rundown protection, PASSLock II theft-deterrent system, breakaway outside rearview mirrors, platinum-tip spark plugs that last as many as 100,000 miles and extended-life coolant that may not need to be changed for five years or 150,000 miles.
2000 CAVALIER VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS
- Air conditioning is standard on all models
- New instrument panel cluster with electronic odometer and trip meter and scratch resistant lens
- New center console with 4 front cup holders and 2 cup holders in the armrest for rear seat passengers, and fifth cup holder in console for "super-sized" cups
- New coin holder, cassette and CD storage in console
- New illuminated automatic transmission shift indicator in center console
- New radio is located above the HVAC controls for improved ergonomics
- New top tether child seat anchorage
- New recall odometer and radio display without ignition "on"
- Low fuel and high coolant temperature warning through the check gages tell-tale
- Radio Display System (RDS) with auto clock synchronization supported by the up-level system
- Automatic radio theft system with flashing LED (up-level system)
- New delayed radio operation: continues to play until the driver leaves the vehicle or after ten minutes
- Optional dual play cassettes and CD player new for 2000
SAFETY AND SECURITY:
- New body color painted fascias on all models
- New forward lighting with improved illumination
- New exterior colors: Dark Colorado Metallic and Ultra Silver Metallic
- New 14" and 15" wheel covers
- New 15" and 16" aluminum wheels
- New Z24 rear spoiler with more aggressive appearance
- New exterior badging
- New fuel pump for reduced noise and enhanced reliability (interim release)
- Rear defroster is standard on all models
- New standard solenoid-based antilock braking system for smoother operation
- OnStar compatible
- New Passlock IIr security system
- New Remote Keyless Entry features an antilock out protection feature and panic/car locator button
- New enhanced content theft security system features anti- theft alarm and power door locks (standard with Remote Keyless entry system)
- New body function computer with improved diagnostics for easy maintenance
- Increased engine cooling performance
- Multec 2 fuel injectors