GM Enthusiast Network Events for 2007!! - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM Enthusiast Network Events for 2007!!
Thursday, August 31, 2006 7:46 AM
The existence, planning, location and quality of large national events for the GM Small/Compact car community has been a hot topic of discussion for some time. Now with the abrupt cancellation of the 2006 GM Small Car Bash, it would seem to be a dead topic. At The GM Enthusiast Network, we would rather that not be the case. With that in mind, a brand new committee has been formed to direct events and take in suggestions from the GME community for future events. Based on what is already a strong start and made better by suggestions and input from the entire community, we will begin a new, larger and better series that will be more inclusive and geographically diverse.

One of the things that was noticed at previous national events was the big letdown when the event was over. This is not a reflection of the events themselves, as they were well planned and fairly well attended. The big letdown was the feeling left when it was over. Most everyone wanted to continue the party; to have another big meet next week or next month, though the next large event was likely a year or more away. Keeping that momentum and those good feelings going is key, and it was decided that the best way we could do that was to keep the events coming.

Rather than having one large event in an area that favored one coast over the other, the GME Events Committee will be starting our planning around TWO large shows. One will be in the spring near the West Coast and the other will be in the late summer near the East Coast. Locations have not been finalized at this time but several very good possibilities are already under discussion.

In between these two large events, GME will also be planning (or assisting in the planning of) a number of smaller regional events. Some of these events will be regional car shows or meets. Some will be one-day get-togethers at an amusement park or something similar. Some, which are already in the planning stages, will be actual "getaway" vacation packages of 3-4 days to various locations. Our intention is to get these regional events kicked off over the winter and continue them on a regular basis throughout the year. Of course, not everyone will be able to attend all the events, and that is not our intention. Some packages will be more expensive than some people will be willing to spend, while others will be just right. We decided on a series of events like this to allow more people to be able to get involved in the fun. Also, the intention of the day-trip and vacation packages is to momentarily take our cars out of the equation and remind us all that sometimes the people and the gathering is what is more important.

The GME Events Committee will have two very distinct parts. For each individual event, no matter the size or location, there will be a local committee formed that is directly responsible for that event. There will also be a central steering committee, which will be responsible for direction of all the events and their committees. The steering committee will also be responsible for setting up budgets and interacting with sponsors and venues.

This project is in it's early stages, but much of the work is already in progress. Our steering committee has already started working on hotel arrangements and packages in several areas where we are attempting to hold events. We also already have several sponsors on board, and will be negotiating with a great many more over the coming weeks. We also already have a core group of talented people working hard to get the planning off the ground.

This is where you come in! We would like to solicit volunteers to participate in the planning of regional events, as well as suggestions
for events in your area! We would also like to invite businesses from the GM community to contact us for sponsorship, advertising and booth information. Please contact events@gmenthusiast.com for more information!

More information will be posted here VERY soon. Thank you for your involvement with The GM Enthusiast Network!!

Re: GM Enthusiast Network Events for 2007!!
Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:01 AM
this sounds like a great idea

with the north east, we have several great tracks in a small area, as well as beaches, boardwalks, theme parks, etc.

I also feel that several large events a year would be awesome since as said, it'll keep the momentum going throughout the year instead of just coasting from the high of one major event.

Hopefully we can still have one large primary function a year as the main event like VW's have waterfest.. altho they have several other large shows every year throughout the year

I'd be willing to help plan out north east regional events

Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:08 AM
Sounds good, I don't really know what I could do to help, but this sort of thing definately needs someone DEDICATED and ORGANIZED. I think Tim did an excellent job with the Bash, and we need someone with that same motivation to plan this as well. Now if you want to focus your events towards GM, it would be good to have meets in a GM(ish) area. A great idea, for the West Coast.......think "The Drive".

Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:32 AM
i smell a vegas race weekend coming on , or north cali

gonna be a fun year coming up

Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:41 AM
I ran the GM pre bash in Allentown Pa in 2003. I would be willing to help again in planning some regional events in our area as well.

But that sounds awesome, I havent gone to the bash in a few years.

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:52 AM
for the midwest area you could use the WI J-Tuners Midwest J-Body Gathering in Wisconsin Dells, WI. It'll be held on May 18-20. Thats the same weekend as the huge Automotion Classic Car Show that gets around 1000 cars showing at it. Just a thought.

Also how close to the coast were you planning on having the two large shows. Cuz if they're both close to the coast then the midwest gets screwed into a long ass drive either way.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Thursday, August 31, 2006 2:42 PM
W00T! FINALLY! Now I got a reason to save up money and weekends that aren't being used for racing!

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Thursday, August 31, 2006 2:51 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]i smell a vegas race weekend coming on , or north cali

I'm down with that!

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Saturday, September 02, 2006 6:13 PM
@!#$ yeah!

Saturday, September 02, 2006 9:13 PM
we def need a north east get together. i havent been able to go to a bash as of yet b.c they have been too fay away and i cant take many days off work. but if we could have like a weekend meet at MIR or better yet, Beaver Springs, that'd be awesome

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 9:53 AM
ocean city maryland would be a great place for a meet!!!! plenty of cars, hotels, beach, boardwalk, good nightlife

anyway i think this is a great idea i would deffintly attend bashes that are closer than 14 freakin hours

Friday, September 08, 2006 9:58 AM
FReQ Z wrote:[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]i smell a vegas race weekend coming on , or north cali

I'm down with that!

x3

Saturday, September 09, 2006 6:52 PM
I'm up to help with anything, Dave.

Monday, September 11, 2006 9:28 AM
I'd suggest throwing this in the Regional Forums as well... many have regional events where they could easily incorporate this idea.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 8:07 AM
yeah yeah come to colorado so everyone can reep the benefits of driving a mile high

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 8:49 AM
sounds promising, i look forward to hearing more. i could possibly be intrested in getting involved. just be careful with things and make sure you get people that arnt going to back out or flake on you or it could end up hurting the site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, September 14, 2006 4:27 AM
John Lenko wrote:@!#$ yeah!

That about sums up my thought on the whole thing!!

Friday, September 15, 2006 6:47 AM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, September 15, 2006 7:32 PM
Sound really Good!! I like that idea, think that way more people will be able to participate to the reunion, I'm not on the right side off the border, but if I can help, I will be please to do so...

Club J-Body Delta of Quebec, Montreal Division Event Planner

My Car Domain
Mon Char.Com

Sunday, September 17, 2006 5:00 PM
I say central pa and maple grove race way it will draw alot of peopel and the drag strip is great u should look into it seriously thanks and i am intereste don where it will be on the east

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 8:43 PM
Scorpio1 (blu03lambocavi) wrote:
John Lenko wrote:@!#$ yeah!

That about sums up my thought on the whole thing!!

Friday, September 22, 2006 5:09 PM
any new news?

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, September 28, 2006 1:34 PM
lets just hope it stays alive this time........ hurt my feelings this year didnt...........

I'm game for multiple events....... time to start putting more miles on my baby.....

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Saturday, September 30, 2006 1:12 AM
As long as there's a couple month's notice so I can take the time off work...

Sunday, October 29, 2006 10:01 PM
I wanna help organize somthing for new mexico ne interest down here?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search