What do you hate about the Js? - Page 4 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: What do you hate about the Js?
Sunday, June 13, 2010 8:28 PM
Must i do this again?
4G63 Cavy wrote:i had the 1997 2.2l ohv motor didnt want a 2.4l ive seen my friend blow them all up

4G63 Cavy wrote:im talking a about the 2.2l over head valve motor 8 valves....... slow not the 2.3l or 2.4 or eco

you made a blanket statement that J Engines don't have parts... then you said you didnt want a 2.4 because they blow up... which is a stereotype as much as crankwalk is to a 4g63...

anyway... lets see how long it takes you to wire the car up... you'll spend more work doing that than you would do any part of an eco, quad motor, or v6 swap...

Monday, June 14, 2010 4:02 PM
Darton sleeves, eagle rods, wiseco pistons, and hardened oil pump gears is all you need to hold ~500whp on the L61 eco block. Man i really hate that.

Oh wait, no i dont.

Monday, June 14, 2010 4:17 PM
sleeves.... what are those??? some motors don't need them to hold 500 + WHP =P

Monday, June 14, 2010 4:29 PM
I hate not having easy access to the wiring under the steering wheel. On the handful of remote start installs i've done, this was by far the worst. On a galant, the little panel directly under the steering wheel pops right off when you remove two screws, how nice is that?

seriously though, even though I have not worked on numerous cars, it is very easy to work on this. I HATE suburbans (especially k1500 oil pan gasket changes....dear god.) and Saabs to work on
Monday, June 14, 2010 4:31 PM
three screws and a couple of friction tabs is hard? Jebus....try dealing with an old Volvo! lol!

Monday, June 14, 2010 4:55 PM
Chris Bevis wrote:three screws and a couple of friction tabs is hard? Jebus....try dealing with an old Volvo! lol!

It's the tilt lever that is the problem. Pretty hard to get them off without damage.

Monday, June 14, 2010 7:33 PM
Screws?

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:32 AM
bradsk88 wrote:
Chris Bevis wrote:three screws and a couple of friction tabs is hard? Jebus....try dealing with an old Volvo! lol!

It's the tilt lever that is the problem. Pretty hard to get them off without damage.
The tilt lever unscrews...

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:11 PM
Yes, I know this. But if the level has never been taken off (often the case with remote start customer) it takes a ton of force to turn.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:17 PM
bradsk88 wrote:Yes, I know this. But if the level has never been taken off (often the case with remote start customer) it takes a ton of force to turn.

yeeeeeeaaaahhhhh...i'll give you that. Comparatively, a GM is more of a PITA than most other manufacturers.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:15 AM
Speedline02 (GME Chat!!) wrote:sleeves.... what are those??? some motors don't need them to hold 500 + WHP =P

And others only weight 300lbs fully dressed.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:17 AM
Speedline02 (GME Chat!!) wrote:Must i do this again?
4G63 Cavy wrote:i had the 1997 2.2l ohv motor didnt want a 2.4l ive seen my friend blow them all up

4G63 Cavy wrote:im talking a about the 2.2l over head valve motor 8 valves....... slow not the 2.3l or 2.4 or eco

you made a blanket statement that J Engines don't have parts... then you said you didnt want a 2.4 because they blow up... which is a stereotype as much as crankwalk is to a 4g63...

anyway... lets see how long it takes you to wire the car up... you'll spend more work doing that than you would do any part of an eco, quad motor, or v6 swap...

ok you put your point out there and heres mine i dont like to do what everyone else does i like to see something different or strange

build it to your likings not others.
Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:39 PM
Tinkles wrote:
Speedline02 (GME Chat!!) wrote:sleeves.... what are those??? some motors don't need them to hold 500 + WHP =P

for the extra 40 pounds of block ill take the better motor.

180hp in 1989 or 145hp in 2002, you decide. >
Wednesday, June 16, 2010 4:58 PM
z yaaaa wrote:
Tinkles wrote:

for the extra 40 pounds of block ill take the better motor.

So you're eco swapping both cars? Nice.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 5:26 PM
um no.

180hp in 1989 or 145hp in 2002, you decide. >
Thursday, June 17, 2010 8:16 PM
you two are terrible^^^^ just drop the freaking subject on what motor. there isnt one engine out there that is perfect or better then another if there was every car would have that engine.....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2623318

Thursday, June 17, 2010 8:53 PM
Im just playing with Kyle, Brad's the one crying to mommy.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:36 PM
4G63 Cavy wrote:
Speedline02 (GME Chat!!) wrote:Must i do this again?

ok you put your point out there and heres mine i dont like to do what everyone else does i like to see something different or strange

fair enough... just stop contradicting yourself and you won't hear anything from me...

Tinkles wrote:Im just playing with Kyle, Brad's the one crying to mommy.
yeah, its all friendly...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:37 PM

Thursday, July 01, 2010 7:44 AM
i love cavaliers. but there are two things. one, the driver side window on all three of mine does that crap where you have to help it up or it stays. two, the a/c / heater blower motor. why did Chevy make them so crappy and WHY WHY WHY is to so hard to replace them. if you made a flawless blower motor then yeah make it impossible to change but SERIOUSLY those three "screws" on the bottom to take it out WTF?!?!?!

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport Coupe
1964 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray

*Gone But Not Forgotten*
2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport Coupe
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Coupe
1972 Chevrolet Camaro
Monday, July 05, 2010 9:07 AM
My dad worked for GM for years, for my first car I asked him What is a small car that Chevrolet makes ?
Wednesday, July 07, 2010 12:39 PM
2000 cavalier

I hate/dislike:

-The negative image they have gained over the years.
-People run them into the ground, making them seem even worse
-They have a reputation as a car for gays/women
-The base models/2.2 motors
-How the name can be construed into crapalier, cavaqueer etc
-The interior center console layout, mostly cup holders
-The fear that my water pump or #3 rod bearing may or may not take a shat on me at any given moment, but every engine has problems
I would complain about build/material quality, but I bought an economy car, this is not made to be a drivers car, like say a Deville

It's made to get you somewhere and back, cheap.

I guarantee if this car, by some miracle were rear-wheel drive, or available in it..everyone and there brother would own one or would have wanted to at some point.

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 1:36 PM
Wait a deville is a drivers car? I thought it was an example of what's not a drivers car, heck I bet most of them are automatics. A 3 series bmw or a c5/c6 corvette are acceptable examples of driver's cars.

Carry on.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, July 07, 2010 9:44 PM
Leafy wrote:Wait a deville is a drivers car? I thought it was an example of what's not a drivers car, heck I bet most of them are automatics. A 3 series bmw or a c5/c6 corvette are acceptable examples of driver's cars.

Carry on.

Haha I picked a Deville because I own one, and its a gm daily driver, not unlike a cavalier, as I was referring to build and material quality..

Not if it has a stick that you can rip through gears with, my mistake you don't like them, first car that came to mind.

But IMO a Deville IS a drivers car, digital dash, comfortable interior, comfortable ride, loads of power, built with the driver in mind

The BASE models are still more loaded than anything you own.

Check your sig for cars that are examples of whats not a drivers car, you shouldn't be hatin on a caddy

Your back seats are not even functional unless you are Gary Colem... o wait that not cool, rest his soul....

Proceed.

Thursday, July 08, 2010 4:45 AM
Comfortable ride = disconnected from the road
Drivers car ride = connected to the road. Aka you can run over a quarter and tell which side is up.
Small (preferably just two seats), rear wheel drive, manual transmission, great handling, and fairly quick, that's a drivers car.

Basically, not a cavalier.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, July 08, 2010 5:12 PM
Leafy wrote:Comfortable ride = disconnected from the road
Drivers car ride = connected to the road. Aka you can run over a quarter and tell which side is up.
Small (preferably just two seats), rear wheel drive, manual transmission, great handling, and fairly quick, that's a drivers car.

Basically, not a cavalier.
Take out the rwd and what do you have?
My car.
You don't have to have rwd for a great handling car - for the street.
Not everyone has weekly track days available to them so most cars won't delve into their full potential on the street.
My Cavalier blows my Porsche 944 away in every aspect of performance right now. It's an amazing ride.

Rwd and fwd have very fine lines between them as far as ultimate handling for passenger vehicles if setup properly.
I think the 2006 Chevy Cobalt pretty much whipped up on some pretty big company at the Relined Time Attack that year.
You were saying?

Back on topic, sorry.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search