Snow Drifting - Page 3 - General Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
Re: Snow Drifting
Friday, January 14, 2011 9:24 PM
03cav83 wrote:stupid your supposed to the the tires with more tread in the rear

No.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.

Friday, January 14, 2011 9:39 PM
yes your supposed to have the tires with more tred in the rear so your rearend dosent swing out of control
Friday, January 14, 2011 9:43 PM
Or you could not be a pansy and learn how to drive in the snow.

I'd rather have grip on the tires that do all the turning, braking, and accelerating. If you don't snap the wheel or pull the ebrake the back end will just follow along like always.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Friday, January 14, 2011 9:50 PM
i aslo agree lol im just saying not every ordinary driver likes having there ass sliding out in the snow all the time. but i remember reading a thread somewhere on this site and there was a big argument weather the tires with more tread should go on the back or front
Friday, January 14, 2011 9:51 PM
Yeah I remember that thread... everyone else was wrong, lol

Friday, January 14, 2011 9:54 PM
lol im pretty shure they had videos posted and everything from a lot of the major tire corporations about how the tire with more tread is supposed to be in the rear
Friday, January 14, 2011 10:01 PM
Tire companies are in the business of not getting sued. Just like they don't like you having different tires in the front than the back.

Friday, January 14, 2011 10:02 PM
lol everyones got there own opinion i personally would like more tread in the rear
Friday, January 14, 2011 10:05 PM
I personally like to stop.

Saturday, January 15, 2011 8:33 AM
Considering our cars are front wheel drive, having more tread in the rear for anything at all is just about the dumbest idea ever. Especially in snow. If I had my old all seasons out front with my new ones on the back, I can guarantee I would've hit at least 2-3 mailboxes by now, just because my car understeers like a bitch in the first place in snow.
Saturday, January 15, 2011 9:23 AM
lol i know it sounds stupid but when you actually think about it i would rather have more traction on the rear so it dosent swing out and hit something i wish i could find that thread

Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:51 AM
What you aren't understanding is the back end doesn't just swing out randomly, you have to entice it to, so it's your own fault if it does and you don't control it.

Saturday, January 15, 2011 11:34 AM
I agree with Transporter, I'm running all seasons right now. Due to recent changes in job Ive been unable to get new tires, so i just rotated my tires so the ones that are practically bald in back and the ones with tread in front and it works great. If you cant handle that very little back end swing, then you shouldn't be driving in snow.

Saturday, January 15, 2011 11:23 PM
lol im just gonna stop i looked for the thread couldent find it that thread could explain a lot better then me soo im done
Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:43 AM
I like how people are saying their back end will swing out. LEARN HOW TO DRIVE IN THE WINTER AND IT WON'T. SLOW THE F*CK DOWN.

FYI, the tires with better tread go on the front. They do the accelerating, hence they need the grip.
Sunday, January 16, 2011 4:16 PM
or just a though buy 4 good tires

Sunday, January 16, 2011 4:23 PM
^Then you end up with a stiff ass car that under steers everywhere, where's the fun in that?

Sunday, January 16, 2011 4:56 PM
Wait so why doesnt every just rotate their tires instead of letting the front ones go bald?

Sunday, January 16, 2011 5:03 PM
Transporter7220 wrote:^Then you end up with a stiff ass car that under steers everywhere, where's the fun in that?

isnt thats why i bought a 4x4 truck haha

Sunday, January 16, 2011 5:06 PM
Good snows in the front and bald snows in the back seem to work for me just fine

Just because I'm a video whore...

Sunday, January 16, 2011 8:04 PM
yea u beat me lol, but hears my blue car lol

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:41 PM
I recall the previous tire thread and made good on my word to do some investigating
When I bought my car it had 2 brand new winters, and 2 good all seasons
Since my stock rims are on the car only a couple of months out of the year I needed to know which way was the best way to run mis-matched tires...
This previous winter I had run the best tires on the front, no problems..

My findings are as follows...

Exhibit A: The poster in the joint where I was getting my emissions test

The Rubber Association of Canada?.. Interesting..

Exhibit B: My car with all seasons on the front... winters on the back... even though it didn't feel right.

100+cm of snow in 2 days, I could see the grass 3 days previous

Exhibit C: My car, later that day after I switched the snows back to the front after the most testing winter drive to class yet.

No word of a lie I was power sliding by stuck tow trucks on my way home - night and day traction and handling improvement

So yeah
If you can only afford 2 new winter tires put em on the front, and if you get it done at a shop like the one I was in...I can only wish you the best of luck.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:59 AM
Because most people can not drive worth a @!#$. The good tires should go on the back. This is what I do for the mother, now. When I had the good tires on the front...she spun out of control twice. Most, non car people, can not handle the back end coming around on them in a turn.

If you do not mind a tail happy car, put the good tires on the front.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:16 AM
^Exactly, and nothing against your Mom, but she probably didn't realize that you shouldn't turn sharply to upset the balance of the car, or tap the brakes mid turn. There is a skill level needed to handle a car that has a possibility of over steering, which most people don't have. And that is why 90% of cars under steer like a bitch from the factory.

Putting the good tires in the back is safe in the fact that you won't be able to turn around and sue the mechanic that put them on the car, because if you under steer off the road or into a car they just say it's your own fault for going too fast. But should the car over steer and spin out people would be all over the mechanic. These policies are for the protection of the mechanic more than the protection of the driver.

Personally I think a wet skid pad should be part of the driving test, people should understand how to control a car better than they do. I know too many people that would just stab the brakes and hold on instead of actually reacting to the situation. Reminds me of my Mom grabbing the wheel when I was 16 and the tail on our truck came out just a tad, did she really think her random input to the wheel was going to make things better? All I had to do is let off the gas! That day still baffles me...

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:34 AM
I like you, drive around with my better tires on the front in the winter. The only other family members that I would trust being sideways with is my dad and my brother. NONE, of the rest of my family can drive worth a crap in the winter. When I'm riding with my wife sometimes I see my life flash before my eyes.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search