How often do you Redline? - Page 3 - General Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
Re: How often do you Redline?
Tuesday, March 08, 2011 9:46 AM
JUCNBST wrote:
95LsCoupe wrote:we drive cavaliers/sunfires.

True, but have you driven one with a lightweight flywheel boost and bald snow tires? My stock tach can't keep up.

well no, but when you lose traction, you usually let off the gas and not keep it mashed to the floor in hopes of spinning through 5th

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 1:19 PM
95LsCoupe wrote:
JUCNBST wrote:
95LsCoupe wrote:we drive cavaliers/sunfires.

True, but have you driven one with a lightweight flywheel boost and bald snow tires? My stock tach can't keep up.

well no, but when you lose traction, you usually let off the gas and not keep it mashed to the floor in hopes of spinning through 5th

sissy

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 1:42 PM
My car used to see 7500rpm daily in the summer....

I win !!!

YAY!

My truck gets pretty close every day as well, I have to make a left turn onto a busy 4 lane highway every morning.

Keeps the engine nice and clean, hurts the pocket book tho....stupid V8's

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 8:57 AM
95LsCoupe wrote:
TheSundownFire wrote:
95LsCoupe wrote:
Weebel wrote:Ill shift at redline on an on ramp once the car is warmed up on occasion but i dont do it as much since the damn shift light I have on the A-pillar quit working.

Ill tach out the Ninja at least once damn near every time I ride it though.

well a bike is a bike, theyre made to be drive "fun" lol i wouldnt even call that driving it hard

i dont understand the point of a shift light, just watch the tach?? the one on the stock dashs (manual) are for fuel economy
i mean i can kind of understand it flashes and you shift so you wont have to watch it, but thats like not being ready to shift when youre supposed to....like say im in 2nd and watching the tach, as it nears redline, i get ready to shift, if not watching and that light comes on BAM SHIFT NOW! seems like there would be a few good seconds inbetween the light comeing on than the actualy shift....maybe set it lower? i still dont see much point of it

Apparently youve never been in a car that revs so fast you dont have time to look back and forth. The light is very very helpful.

we drive cavaliers/sunfires.

My car will redline in 1st gear after launching so fast that its ridiculous. With the bright ass shift light that I can see out of the corner of my eye I dont have to take my yes off the track and can concentrate on hooking the launch instead of the tach. I have it set to come on about 100rpm before the limiter kicks in since my reaction time to the light is so fast. Its basically there to nail 2nd gear. I dont have an aftermarket tach, just a light on the a-piller.

I dont race the car anymore so I havnt bothered to replace it since it quit working.. its only $30 though so I might eventually.

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 7:47 PM
95LsCoupe wrote:
TheSundownFire wrote:
95LsCoupe wrote:
Weebel wrote:Ill shift at redline on an on ramp once the car is warmed up on occasion but i dont do it as much since the damn shift light I have on the A-pillar quit working.

well a bike is a bike, theyre made to be drive "fun" lol i wouldnt even call that driving it hard

i dont understand the point of a shift light, just watch the tach?? the one on the stock dashs (manual) are for fuel economy
i mean i can kind of understand it flashes and you shift so you wont have to watch it, but thats like not being ready to shift when youre supposed to....like say im in 2nd and watching the tach, as it nears redline, i get ready to shift, if not watching and that light comes on BAM SHIFT NOW! seems like there would be a few good seconds inbetween the light comeing on than the actualy shift....maybe set it lower? i still dont see much point of it

Apparently youve never been in a car that revs so fast you dont have time to look back and forth. The light is very very helpful.

in case you havent noticed, some of us here are into the performance side of things, regardless of the make and model we drive. its a pretty lame statement to make, usually made by ppl who cant break 100whp, who's cars are ragged out pieces of @!#$, or both. and if it takes you 'a good couple of seconds' to make a shift based on a tach light, you might wanna switch to an automatic. I can make a shift in less than a second of the light coming on. its not hard, and if you know your car well enough, your motor will tell you when you're approaching redline/your shift point

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Wednesday, March 09, 2011 8:22 PM
Evan Undead (The Black Pearl) wrote:

in case you havent noticed, some of us here are into the performance side of things, regardless of the make and model we drive. its a pretty lame statement to make, usually made by ppl who cant break 100whp, who's cars are ragged out pieces of @!#$, or both. and if it takes you 'a good couple of seconds' to make a shift based on a tach light, you might wanna switch to an automatic. I can make a shift in less than a second of the light coming on. its not hard, and if you know your car well enough, your motor will tell you when you're approaching redline/your shift point

That was a joke, but in my defence...the fastest car ive driven was a 645awhp 3000gt vr4 twin turbo, didnt have a shift light, and ive never drive a car with a shift light
I've driven next to people with bright shift lights and it seems distracting, especially at night. IMO i think it's mostly for RWD cars who need to keep an eye on the road with that much power they risk spinning out, as FWD will just spin tires, AWD hooks very nicely...I mean with enough power anything can happen, but the way my tach is, i can glance at it and the road at the same time.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:49 AM
my 98 i floor it everytime i drive it becuase it feels like i can walk faster than it and its still not going anywhere, happy im selling the pos 2200 and my 05 eco, its whenever i feel like i wanna hear it, sound sick at 2800+ rpms, i get 38mpg in my 05 so idc bout gas prices i step on it all day if i felt like it and still my gauge barely moves. but really some days it wont see over 3k at all and some when i get on the bypass or highway ill let it all out to get up to speed. just depends on the day. i always run synthetic oil and change it every 1500 miles with filter obv. so oiling is not an issue in my cars.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:05 AM
At least once every time I drive it. After it's thoroughly warm however

Idk if my mods are up to date in my profile:

'02 2200, turbo 5psi, 6500rpm limit. I shift at like 6300 though.

Been this way for 20k miles at least, still runs like a champ.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:18 AM
DJ Beefy wrote:my 98 i floor it everytime i drive it becuase it feels like i can walk faster than it and its still not going anywhere, happy im selling the pos 2200 and my 05 eco, its whenever i feel like i wanna hear it, sound sick at 2800+ rpms, i get 38mpg in my 05 so idc bout gas prices i step on it all day if i felt like it and still my gauge barely moves. but really some days it wont see over 3k at all and some when i get on the bypass or highway ill let it all out to get up to speed. just depends on the day. i always run synthetic oil and change it every 1500 miles with filter obv. so oiling is not an issue in my cars.

How are you seeing 38mpg? Before boost I was lucky to see 28
Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:28 AM
95LsCoupe wrote:
TheSundownFire wrote:
95LsCoupe wrote:

My tach is slow and no longer accurate. If I spray it's a joke I'd guess nearly 800rpms off, hit the limiter with spray and ka-boom! I plan on getting a new tach or a shift light for that purpose alone. I can drive all day no problem without a tach or a shift light, but with some spray in the mix it's a different story when your tach is way off. I could get a window switch to play it safe but then it's also like auto pilot for nitrous and won't make your asz cheeks on full clench!.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:27 AM
Ryan Thompson wrote:
DJ Beefy wrote:my 98 i floor it everytime i drive it becuase it feels like i can walk faster than it and its still not going anywhere, happy im selling the pos 2200 and my 05 eco, its whenever i feel like i wanna hear it, sound sick at 2800+ rpms, i get 38mpg in my 05 so idc bout gas prices i step on it all day if i felt like it and still my gauge barely moves. but really some days it wont see over 3k at all and some when i get on the bypass or highway ill let it all out to get up to speed. just depends on the day. i always run synthetic oil and change it every 1500 miles with filter obv. so oiling is not an issue in my cars.

How are you seeing 38mpg? Before boost I was lucky to see 28

for everyday driving i keep it under 2300 rpms around town the speed limit is 25 or 35 on most roads i drive on unless i go on th ehighway or bypass.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:21 PM
95LsCoupe wrote:
Evan Undead (The Black Pearl) wrote:

That was a joke, but in my defence...the fastest car ive driven was a 645awhp 3000gt vr4 twin turbo, didnt have a shift light, and ive never drive a car with a shift light
I've driven next to people with bright shift lights and it seems distracting, especially at night. IMO i think it's mostly for RWD cars who need to keep an eye on the road with that much power they risk spinning out, as FWD will just spin tires, AWD hooks very nicely...I mean with enough power anything can happen, but the way my tach is, i can glance at it and the road at the same time.

My friends Grand Prix would break the tires loose at highway speed if he got into it. Its actually pretty scary. Im not going to say that the risk of spinning out is the same but FWD is free from the dangers of losing control.

Friday, March 11, 2011 7:15 AM
I know you think you can do both but your not. If your watching the tach close enough to use it as a shift point your not watching the road / track close enough. You just cant be staring at your gauges with that much chaos going on. if you've ever have a chance to use a light it makes things so much easier. As for them coming on in traffic, who the hell is redlining there car in f-ing traffic anyway? They can be blinding at night but thats why they make covers.

Friday, March 11, 2011 12:24 PM
If you know your car, you don't need a tach or shift light to know where to shift...the first 8 months having this car I've raced it without tach or light...once i got the tach I drove it like I would without a tach and my brother(in passenger seat) said i shifted at 5800 every time which is exactly where I wanted to be shifting...enough into redline without going near that 6k limit.

Friday, March 11, 2011 12:58 PM
95LsCoupe wrote:If you know your car, you don't need a tach or shift light to know where to shift...the first 8 months having this car I've raced it without tach or light...once i got the tach I drove it like I would without a tach and my brother(in passenger seat) said i shifted at 5800 every time which is exactly where I wanted to be shifting...enough into redline without going near that 6k limit.

Words spoken from a true race car driver lol. You have a lot to learn and the more you write the more it shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, March 11, 2011 12:59 PM

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Friday, March 11, 2011 1:46 PM
Lol, the more he rights the more it makes my day.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Friday, March 11, 2011 1:58 PM
I redline your mom everyday up her ass!

Friday, March 11, 2011 9:56 PM
Carefull crazy... we have nazi mods again remember? LOL

95lscoup (got I hate names like that) no offense man but if you start comparing runs to raw data like time slips you will start to realize how wrong you really are.

Whats 2/10ths of a second on average with high 90's low hundreds for trap speeds (what most of us run) like a fender?

Saturday, March 12, 2011 4:07 PM
95LsCoupe wrote:If you know your car, you don't need a tach or shift light to know where to shift...the first 8 months having this car I've raced it without tach or light...once i got the tach I drove it like I would without a tach and my brother(in passenger seat) said i shifted at 5800 every time which is exactly where I wanted to be shifting...enough into redline without going near that 6k limit.

lol, awesomesauce

Saturday, March 12, 2011 4:11 PM
blucavvy wrote:

lol, awesomesauce

LMAO

Saturday, March 12, 2011 8:01 PM
I have no final drive (damn 3t40) so I run on the expressway at about 5900 for a 29 mile commute every morning. No issues yet. =)

Car has a 2200SFI and no other mods currently, Motor was boosted at one point. I am sure I am getting close to blowing that bastard up.

----

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:37 AM
i used to redline my first gen everyday back when I was a dumb teenager. It had the th125 and 85 mph was 6000 rpm which I did quite often. I eventually spun a rod bearing and learned my lesson. Now with the z 85 is like around 2800 rpms and I redline it once every other time I drive it. Its not a daily driver though.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:58 PM
I hit my limiter everytime I drive mine, and its set at 7k. Usually only in the first three gears.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:13 AM
I hope to god your kidding

Sunday, March 20, 2011 6:06 PM
We're going to lock this now before this gets any worse. All meaningful discussion has ended.

To contact a moderator, please send a direct message to the moderator account. Please
note you must be logged in to send messages to this account.

Please include a link if you are contacting us regarding a thread.

DO NOT SEND PRIVATE MESSAGES TO THIS ACCOUNT, USE THE LINK ABOVE.
This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search