Premium fuel on a long trip - Page 2 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Premium fuel on a long trip
Saturday, June 25, 2011 12:36 PM
P0420 is catalyst efficiency code, so yes that will affect your mpg's. I believe that code will put the car in open loop all the time, but I could be wrong about that. I know if the o2 before the cat has a problem that will go into open loop, but I'm not sure about the post cat o2. Been awhile since I've had theory in my head.

As for the mpg's with 89 vs 87, with the results posted in this thread, I might have to give it a shot.

Saturday, June 25, 2011 1:45 PM
Some gas stations in my area used to sell 89 for the same price as 87. anytime i used 89, i got the same mileage as 87.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Saturday, June 25, 2011 2:18 PM
For those with a stock 2200 SFI(2.2L OHV), 89 does indeed give you better gas mileage. I took identical trips from my house to my campus(a round trip of around 160 miles, all highway) throughout the year. 89 gives me ~350 miles per tank, whereas 87 gives me ~290 miles per tank. In essence, it equates to about 6 dollars a tank that you're saving. Not a huge saver, but does look nice in the long run.
Sunday, June 26, 2011 7:23 PM
I'm a little confused by some of these numbers here.. my 98 Z24 averaged about 380 miles to a tank. all-highway tanks netted above 400 miles. this was with an LD9 that had 150k+ on the clock, and with me driving it like a sane person. even with the Ecotec swap in it, I still got 30+ mpg average. my 2000 Sunfire sedan 5spd seems to be getting some @!#$ readings, but I'm still doing some tune-up work on it since I just got it on the road a few weeks ago, and have yet to do a full-tank test

note: the '98 Z24 mentioned above got 89 or 93 everytime

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Monday, June 27, 2011 11:59 AM
Sunfiretun3r wrote:P0420 is catalyst efficiency code, so yes that will affect your mpg's. I believe that code will put the car in open loop all the time, but I could be wrong about that. I know if the o2 before the cat has a problem that will go into open loop, but I'm not sure about the post cat o2. Been awhile since I've had theory in my head.

As for the mpg's with 89 vs 87, with the results posted in this thread, I might have to give it a shot.

i asked awhile back in a different thread and never got an answer but what causes the p0420 code?

Monday, June 27, 2011 7:41 PM
I normally run my car 7/8th of a tank(halfway between E and 1/4), which may explain the lower than usual numbers. I don't trust the gas gauge after hearing a few horror stories on the JBO about that.
Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:51 PM
HardcoreXSunfire wrote:
Sunfiretun3r wrote:P0420 is catalyst efficiency code, so yes that will affect your mpg's. I believe that code will put the car in open loop all the time, but I could be wrong about that. I know if the o2 before the cat has a problem that will go into open loop, but I'm not sure about the post cat o2. Been awhile since I've had theory in my head.

i asked awhile back in a different thread and never got an answer but what causes the p0420 code?

A bad cat. Honestly. It means that the cat isn't doing it's job, and the o2 sensor isn't seeing enough oxygen or is seeing too much oxygen in the post cat exhaust gases. The materials inside the cat do get "loaded up" I guess you say. They stop working like they originally did. Cat's can also get clogged from excess fuel. And excess fuel can cause the catalyst to burn up and literally melt. Most of the time though it's just caused from the cat being old and not functioning properly anymore.
Do you have a high flow cat? High flows (especially magnaflow) go bad rather quickly. Not sur eon the reasons why, but they cause a P0420.

Friday, July 01, 2011 12:10 PM
Sunfiretun3r wrote:
HardcoreXSunfire wrote:

A bad cat. Honestly. It means that the cat isn't doing it's job, and the o2 sensor isn't seeing enough oxygen or is seeing too much oxygen in the post cat exhaust gases. The materials inside the cat do get "loaded up" I guess you say. They stop working like they originally did. Cat's can also get clogged from excess fuel. And excess fuel can cause the catalyst to burn up and literally melt. Most of the time though it's just caused from the cat being old and not functioning properly anymore.
Do you have a high flow cat? High flows (especially magnaflow) go bad rather quickly. Not sur eon the reasons why, but they cause a P0420.

Thank you for the explanation. No I dont have a high flow. Its the factory cat, im assuming never replaced since it rolled off the assembly line in 1997.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, July 01, 2011 12:11 PM

Friday, July 01, 2011 1:26 PM
HardcoreXSunfire wrote:
Sunfiretun3r wrote:
HardcoreXSunfire wrote:

Thank you for the explanation. No I dont have a high flow. Its the factory cat, im assuming never replaced since it rolled off the assembly line in 1997.

No problem man.

Friday, July 01, 2011 3:51 PM
I just tried half a tank of 89 in my 2200, and it didn't help at all

Friday, July 01, 2011 7:42 PM
Did you top off with 89 or go from E to 1/2 with 89? That may be your problem. In all seriousness, My 2200 gets 350 per 7/8 tank(I don't go lower due to Fuel Pump Horror Stories) on 89, 290 on 87 with sane driving. Pressing the accelerator to the floor(and killing my mileage while I'm at it) I get 290 with 89 and only 225 with 87.

Saturday, July 02, 2011 2:43 PM
this was the .5 - empty half of the tank. since gas keeps dropping here, I haven't been filling it up lol... yea, I'm a broke ass

I dont get it, either. the oil only has 1500 miles on it, the air filter is clean, I just did the plugs and wires last weekend, the tires are all properly inflated.. I'm new to these motors, tho, as I've always had LD9s and Ecotecs. oh, and it's a 5spd, so it should be getting even better mileage..

Saturday, July 02, 2011 7:02 PM
What sort of mileage were you obtaining from it? Also, are you jackrabbit starting your car from stop signs/red lights/etc? That may also be your problem. I honestly just filled up from jackrabbiting and got 21.5 mpg, and now driving sanely, I think I've broken my fuel gauge(check the maintenance forum for that)
Monday, July 04, 2011 5:18 PM
lol, nope.. wasn't me

I seem to be getting about 120-130 miles out of the second half of the tank. I do this bc I try to budget $20 a week to gas until my bills stabilize (I just moved)

Thursday, July 07, 2011 7:30 PM
kind of off the gas mileage topic, but does high octane burn hotter? a long time ago someone told me it does, now a turbo guy is telling me it burns colder(which i think is stupid because more heat, more expanding) and google just told me they all burn the same....just wana clear it up

Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:46 PM
95LsCoupe wrote:kind of off the gas mileage topic, but does high octane burn hotter? a long time ago someone told me it does, now a turbo guy is telling me it burns colder(which i think is stupid because more heat, more expanding) and google just told me they all burn the same....just wana clear it up

if you opened your eyes and read this thread you would have your answer

Thursday, July 07, 2011 10:08 PM
HardcoreXSunfire wrote:
95LsCoupe wrote:kind of off the gas mileage topic, but does high octane burn hotter? a long time ago someone told me it does, now a turbo guy is telling me it burns colder(which i think is stupid because more heat, more expanding) and google just told me they all burn the same....just wana clear it up

if you opened your eyes and read this thread you would have your answer

DING DING, we have a weeeeenuh

Thursday, July 07, 2011 10:33 PM
says nothing about temperatures...

Friday, July 08, 2011 4:20 AM
Youre an idiot. If you were smart enough to interpret the info you would have your answer.

Oh but I forgot, its you. You're not that smart.

Friday, July 08, 2011 4:41 AM

and here's the answer to your question genius

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search