Is the Sonic the New J Car? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Is the Sonic the New J Car?
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:58 PM
Several Chevy Sonics have appeared on dealer lots (per CarsDOTcom) and the VINs are carrying a J in the fourth spot.

It looks to me like the J-Body has returned to life.

Unionman

Re: Is the Sonic the New J Car?
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:39 PM
Doubtful.

It's being classified as a sub-compact, so it's more like an Aveo that shares a drive train with the Cruze...looks like the LT is using using the same 1.8L n/a Ecotec and the LTZ is running the 1.4L turbo ecotec. Honesty the LT sedan just looks like a watered down Cruze, and the hatch looks like some bastard child of an Aveo and Cruze.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:49 PM
Its replacing the Aveo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Aveo

Sig thanks to bxmobkrazey on gmscf.com
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:13 PM
The Aveo carries the T body line designation.
The Camaro carries the F and is known as the F-Body.
The Sonic is carrying the J.

Unionman
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:34 PM
Oh god so we're gonna have to let the fags who are going to buy the spark on here?

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:23 PM
John Smith wrote:The Aveo carries the T body line designation.
The Camaro carries the F and is known as the F-Body.
The Sonic is carrying the J.

Unionman

The J-body platform is discontinued. End of story.

You realize thy can reassign a letter in the VIN to whatever they want? It's a replacement for the Aveo, go read around if you don't believe it. I think it even mentions it on GMs site.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:06 AM
Ah, yes. The old J-Body platform has been discontinued.
Now, we have a new J-Body platform. Just as the old F-Body platform was discontined in 2002, we now have a new F-Body platform, called the Chevrolet Camaro.
Where the old J-Body platform was amongst the smallest of cars assembled in the continental United States, the new platform is amongst the smallest of cars assembled in the United States.
And as to allowing "fags" on this site, whatever my sexual orientation may be, I am now and have for some period of time been a member of this site.
Unionman
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:19 AM
Which part of replacing the Aveo do you not understand?

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:20 AM
lmao ill never think of it as a j. sorry...

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:30 AM
it is NOT a "j-body". end of story

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:33 AM
makes sense... GM had very little love for the j-platform... seems fitting to reassign the J to a downgrade

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:54 AM
The J-body platform ran from 1981 until 2005, it was then in turn replaced by the Delta platform. The Delta platform is transitioning to the Delta 2 platform.

The sonic isn't a J-body, its on the GM Gamma II platform.

The f-body platform ran from 1967 until 2002. The new camaro isnt an f-body, its on the GM Holden Zeta RWD platform.

Pretty simple right?

Want hub spacers rear disk brackets or trailing arm bushings? Shoot me a PM.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:02 AM
teh jeffie smack downeth.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:14 AM
The J-body was not a J-body because the 4th letter of the VIN was a J. It was a J-body because it was built on a platform that GM called the "J-platform." In fact, internally most people at GM tended to call it a "J-car" and not a "J-body." The J platform was discontinued in 2005, and unless someone at GM has some serious head trauma, that platform is forever dead.

The Sonic, as said above, is built on the "Gamma II" platform. The fact that the 4th letter of the VIN is a J is meaningless. GM no longer calls its platforms by a single letter designation. Therefore the VIN is somewhat irrelevant.

</thread>

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:34 AM
I admit I am astounded at the furor raised but what was intended to be a simple heads up.
I also admit the fourth letter refers to the VEHICLE LINE, and references to F-Body or J-Body etc. are terms of art.
Camaro enthusiasts lobbied GM to use F for the fourth number. I believe it was Cheryl Pilcher who made that call to do it making thousands of Camaro enthusiasts quite happy. The new Camaros are referred to as "F-Body" cars on the various sites that would be similar to this site.
GM internally refers to vehicles using these letters. The Y Body is assembled at Bowling Green and the J Body is assembled at the Lake Orion., MI Orion Assembly Plant.
I have not worked for GM since the sixties, but I do not believe the internal use of nomenclature has changed. But I could be wrong and if I am I am certain a GM employee will set me straight.

Unionman
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:49 AM
John Smith wrote:I have not worked for GM since the sixties, but I do not believe the internal use of nomenclature has changed. But I could be wrong and if I am I am certain a GM employee will set me straight.

You do not need a GM employee to set you straight, a simple Google search can do the same.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_platforms
Those are the platforms. It is what they are called internally as well. As the W and U platforms are basically over, GM only has one "letter" platform left, the Y platform. All other platforms are now known, internally and externally, by greek alphabet designations (other then trucks - GMT). They have been transitioning to this for around a decade now.

So to recap, the 4th letter of the VIN is irrelevant today. The Cobalt was typically designated by an A in the VIN. It was NOT an "A-body" (now there's a confusing platform, there was a RWD, renamed the G in the 80's, and the FWD, killed off in the mid '90's). The Cobalt was a Delta car. Hence, http://www.gmdelta.com/

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:23 PM
I do need a GM employee to set me straight.
I appreciate the thoughts expressed regarding platforms I just do not find them relevant to the question originally posted, since my question was related to "Vehicle Line" as used by GM and not to "platform" as used by GM. The 4th letter may not be as relevant as it was decades ago when the rates of the GM employee discount eligibility was based vehicle line one made parts for or assembled, but it is still used inside GM and when used quite well understood. To pretend other wise does not make the pretense any more true.

I see that there are members of the J-Body Forum that will disagree with this, which is quite alright, but so far none of what has been presented as helped me find an answer to my original question. Until tomorrow, I remain,
Unionman
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:34 PM
John Smith wrote:I do need a GM employee to set me straight.

Fine, have it your way. The Sonic is built in Lake Orion, MI...

GM Orion Assembly
Kevin Nadrowski
Plant Communications Manager
kevin.1.nadrowski@gm.com

Or there's always their Facebook page...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/UAWGM-ORION-ASSEMBLY/332581997854

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:37 PM

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:34 PM
Obvious troll is obvious.

Move on.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 1:27 PM
John Smith wrote:GM internally refers to vehicles using these letters. The Y Body is assembled at Bowling Green and the J Body is assembled at the Lake Orion., MI Orion Assembly Plant.
I have not worked for GM since the sixties, but I do not believe the internal use of nomenclature has changed. But I could be wrong and if I am I am certain a GM employee will set me straight.

Unionman

uhhhh the J-body was assembled at the Lordstown Ohio plant the entire production run from 1981-2005... o.O

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:12 PM

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:05 PM
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:The J-body platform ran from 1981 until 2005, it was then in turn replaced by the Delta platform. The Delta platform is transitioning to the Delta 2 platform.

The f-body platform ran from 1967 until 2002. The new camaro isnt an f-body, its on the GM Holden Zeta RWD platform.

Pretty simple right?

well look who found wikipedia

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:13 PM
Mike (Needs Boost) wrote:
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:The J-body platform ran from 1981 until 2005, it was then in turn replaced by the Delta platform. The Delta platform is transitioning to the Delta 2 platform.

Pretty simple right?

well look who found wikipedia
Jeffie is great for this...,..... and receiving "services" for parts...

Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:18 PM
I made a post but it has not appeared. This will be a shorter summary in case it does.

I did not intend to instigate negative reactions when I originally posted. I honestly believed the people here would be pleased.

I defend my use of F-Body when referring to the current Camaro by saying not only do the Camaro boards use the term with affection, but Scott Settlemire, a GM exec who was important in getting the new Camaro to market but also in getting GM to use the letter F in the VIN, goes by F-Bodfather when posting on these same boards.

I joined this board when I bought my third J car, a 2003 Cavalier LS. I bought for the purpose of modifying it and depended on this board for ideas and suggestions. I was always pleased with the RSM installed Vortech supercharger, and wondered at some of the negative posts I read regarding their work. I sold the car in March of 2010, needing the driveway space, even though it was still pulling strong.

Unless there are specific questions, I do not intend to post again on this subject until a week has passed.

And thanks Dave for the Orion Plant contact. I send an email and when I get a response I will let you know.

Unionman
Thursday, August 25, 2011 4:56 PM
John Smith wrote:I made a post but it has not appeared. This will be a shorter summary in case it does.

I did not intend to instigate negative reactions when I originally posted. I honestly believed the people here would be pleased.

I defend my use of F-Body when referring to the current Camaro by saying not only do the Camaro boards use the term with affection, but Scott Settlemire, a GM exec who was important in getting the new Camaro to market but also in getting GM to use the letter F in the VIN, goes by F-Bodfather when posting on these same boards.

I joined this board when I bought my third J car, a 2003 Cavalier LS. I bought for the purpose of modifying it and depended on this board for ideas and suggestions. I was always pleased with the RSM installed Vortech supercharger, and wondered at some of the negative posts I read regarding their work. I sold the car in March of 2010, needing the driveway space, even though it was still pulling strong.

Unless there are specific questions, I do not intend to post again on this subject until a week has passed.

And thanks Dave for the Orion Plant contact. I send an email and when I get a response I will let you know.

Unionman

they guys that are calling the new camaro's f-bodys are not gm employees so why do you believe them. there is no more J and there never will. ktnxbye
Thursday, August 25, 2011 8:34 PM
John Smith wrote:I admit I am astounded at the furor raised but what was intended to be a simple heads up.
I also admit the fourth letter refers to the VEHICLE LINE, and references to F-Body or J-Body etc. are terms of art.
Camaro enthusiasts lobbied GM to use F for the fourth number. I believe it was Cheryl Pilcher who made that call to do it making thousands of Camaro enthusiasts quite happy. The new Camaros are referred to as "F-Body" cars on the various sites that would be similar to this site.
GM internally refers to vehicles using these letters. The Y Body is assembled at Bowling Green and the J Body is assembled at the Lake Orion., MI Orion Assembly Plant.

Unionman

Hmmm something dont make sense here..... you state you havent worked for GM since the 60's..... if this is true then why is this in your profile?

"John Smith
(unionman)
Last Update: Monday, April 18, 2005

Email: unlisted send message

Private Message
Add to Friends
Cars
Forum
Cars:
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Yellow
2005 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe - Precision Red

Birthday: March 19, 1983"

JBO Member since 2006.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search