Uncut GM Keys - Page 2 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Uncut GM Keys
Friday, September 02, 2011 11:00 PM
No clue. I have been wanting to get a new key recently. Mine is also rubber and I HATE the plastic ones. I just have to go to a dealer and accept the rape... well, five dollars of rape is not too bad I guess. I might ask them to at least pull my hair. I want two keys... so I might just try to get one of each and see.

Saturday, September 03, 2011 9:26 AM
I do believe the difference for short and long is Auto-manual. I've noticed through a couple of cars now that the manual trans cars have a shorter key where the autos have to long one.

JBO Stickers are back!!!! Click Me!!
Saturday, September 03, 2011 9:37 AM
If you've had a key cut somewhere and they gave you the longer one, it's probably just because that's what the book told them to do. Any key cutting place should have the short version, and the long version. The pattern on both keys are exactly the same. Believe me, I've cut hundreds of these keys. If anyone wants a shorter version with the hard plastic head, I can get them for $1.25 each.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Monday, September 05, 2011 12:49 AM
Okay, I just got back from a GM dealer today. Would of posted earlier... but I was at work. Anyways...

GM Part # 26053314 = Short Rubber GM key

GM Part # 26049133= Longer Rubber GM Key

I walked into the dealer to see what the real deal difference is...AND 1995 CANT USE THE SHORT KEY! It seems the lock cylinder on 95 is deeper than the rest... so yeah. I figured I had a short key because it went flush in the lock cylinder. I actually have the longer key. 1996-2005 should all work with the short key. Interesting enough... I also don't have the button on my ignition to let the key out. I also found that bit of useless information out. I do drive a 5-speed before someone asks, lol.

Monday, September 05, 2011 12:13 PM
none of my j bodys came factory with the long version
my 95 had 1 key that was long (father in laws car)
my 00 had one aswell (mother in laws car)
must have got them from the same place but GM rubber ended keys were short

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, September 05, 2011 5:59 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:none of my j bodys came factory with the long version
my 95 had 1 key that was long (father in laws car)
my 00 had one aswell (mother in laws car)
must have got them from the same place but GM rubber ended keys were short

were they auto cars?

JBO Stickers are back!!!! Click Me!!
Tuesday, September 06, 2011 4:17 AM
I have two 1995 keys. One is for my old (dead) 1995 z24 Auto and my 1995 z24 manual. Both the same size. I will post pics of both of my keys later, but they are not the short ones AND rubber on the end.

Tuesday, September 06, 2011 4:26 AM
auto key up top and manual key on the bottom.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:35 PM
all my cars have been stick except the 00 its auto both the 95 and 2000 had a long key and it was hard plactic not GM stamped rubber my long ones were after market

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search