New Classifieds - Page 2 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: New Classifieds
Friday, August 27, 2010 3:55 PM
Dave wrote:If you post something and select global, that means you can and will ship the item. Under no circumstances should you be posting an item that is for pickup only in the global classifieds. Likewise, if something is not available for local pickup, under no circumstances should you be posting it in your region(s)..

ok so if i can ship an item and its also available for pickup, its ok to select both then, right? and is there a reason for the separation? im still searching over the classifieds to see if i can find any other options, but not seeing where we can search by p/u or shipping only?

and will there ever be a feature for those states that border other regions? such as IL (mid central) borders KY (mid east), AR (south central), WI (north central), and TN (south east). i myself am well within driving distance of two other regions and while i understand that posting for sale threads in bordering regions has never been allowed, i think if you could come up with something that it would be a very useful to the many states that border one or more other regions

Friday, August 27, 2010 4:39 PM
(tabs) wrote:ok so if i can ship an item and its also available for pickup, its ok to select both then, right?

Yes, perfectly ok. I know there are a lot of things that you might be more then willing to ship, that can also be picked up.

(tabs) wrote:and is there a reason for the separation? im still searching over the classifieds to see if i can find any other options, but not seeing where we can search by p/u or shipping only?

The difference between, pick-up only, shipping only and both is what section you put an item in. If you put it in global only, that implies shipping only. If you put it in a region only, that implies pick-up. If you do both, well you get it. Other then that I don't have any sort of indicator for pick-up or shipping. At this point it is implied based on where the ad is placed.

(tabs) wrote:and will there ever be a feature for those states that border other regions? such as IL (mid central) borders KY (mid east), AR (south central), WI (north central), and TN (south east). i myself am well within driving distance of two other regions and while i understand that posting for sale threads in bordering regions has never been allowed, i think if you could come up with something that it would be a very useful to the many states that border one or more other regions

You can already list an item in multiple regions. However to do so you must be a member of those regions. To edit your region preferences, in your control panel, click on edit profile. This will also add the regions to the forum menu on the left.

One future upgrade I am planning on that is associated with that is a zip code locator. When you post an item that is available for pick-up, you will be able to enter your zip code (kept private, of course) and as a member you will be able to search the classifieds by entering your own zip code, plus a radius. This would be similar to how you can search ebay or autotrader.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, August 27, 2010 4:41 PM

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Friday, August 27, 2010 6:19 PM
Dave wrote:The difference between, pick-up only, shipping only and both is what section you put an item in. If you put it in global only, that implies shipping only. If you put it in a region only, that implies pick-up. If you do both, well you get it. Other then that I don't have any sort of indicator for pick-up or shipping. At this point it is implied based on where the ad is placed.

ok got it. i was under the impression that any classifieds ad would show up in the classifieds section like it always has. but youre saying that when you place an ad that, say, is p/u only and you mark it for the region only that it will only show in the region section but NOT in the main classifieds. thats where my confusion was coming in.
Dave wrote:You can already list an item in multiple regions. However to do so you must be a member of those regions.

ahhh very nice. this is exactly what i was looking for. just hadnt seen that option yet. i certainly hope its a new one and not something ive just overlooked for a few years lol
Dave wrote:One future upgrade I am planning on that is associated with that is a zip code locator.

great idea there

Saturday, August 28, 2010 6:23 PM
Ben: You've only overlooked it for a few months... =P haha you need your premium back

Monday, August 30, 2010 10:25 AM
I have a questions, why doesn't the classifieds re-size pictures?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, August 30, 2010 10:51 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I have a questions, why doesn't the classifieds re-size pictures?

Because of a bug. I just fixed it though.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about

Monday, August 30, 2010 11:11 AM
Working great. Thanks

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, August 30, 2010 6:35 PM
Speedline02 (GME Chat!!) wrote:Ben: You've only overlooked it for a few months... =P haha you need your premium back

yeah i really do. times is tough tho

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:53 PM
The new classifieds seem to be getting spammed...

http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/north_east/57329/

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Wednesday, September 01, 2010 4:36 AM
Also, the email notifications that we get when someone has commented on a part for sale, can you add a direct link to the listing just like when someone replys to a thread?

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Friday, September 03, 2010 1:19 AM
Suggestion Dave...

How about requiring pics in all for sale ads?

I'm seeing a lot of ads with no pics, followed by numerous responses asking for pics, which not only is annoying, but ultimately a waste of bandwith.
Not to make comparison, but several other auto forums I belong to require pics in classified listings, and I for one think it makes the system much more efficient...that way the item(s) listed are clearly identified and you don't have to play rmail-tag with the seller to get pics.
I think it would help the flow of things, produce transactions faster, and keep the rotation of listings moving along quicker.

Just my 2 cents...

Friday, September 03, 2010 12:44 PM
I'm not sure about making it a requirement. I do intend on making it a lot easier to post pics though.

I'm working on a major update to the attachment feature, that at the moment only premium members have access to in the forums. The new feature will launch first in the classifieds, and later be added to the forums. At that point attachments will be open to everyone, not just premium members. I've had the intention of opening it up to everyone for a while now. The only reason I haven't yet is there is a major flaw in the current feature. If you attach a file and then preview your message, the attachment vanishes. You have to wait until you are ready to post to attach your files. Until it was fixed I didn't want to have to deal with the headache of hundreds more people complaining about it.

Friday, May 13, 2011 6:00 AM
It seems there is a problem with the number of posts allowed. There is no bar allowing a page selection lol I just got an email update that someone made a post and wants to buy my struts but it would be on a nonexistent page 2. Made a post and reply count increases but cant view it. Also tried multiple browsers and my phone, all the same results. Also tried another ad with over 25 replies, it has the same issue as well.
Friday, May 13, 2011 11:52 AM
Mark Amodeo wrote:It seems there is a problem with the number of posts allowed. There is no bar allowing a page selection lol I just got an email update that someone made a post and wants to buy my struts but it would be on a nonexistent page 2. Made a post and reply count increases but cant view it. Also tried multiple browsers and my phone, all the same results. Also tried another ad with over 25 replies, it has the same issue as well.

Do you just need a link? Here is your ad.
I was able to get to it through your profile. Also, maybe you could do a search for the title? I don't use the classifieds much or at all really, so I'm just throwing it out there. It is odd to have an active ad not visible.

Friday, May 13, 2011 8:19 PM
stargrrrl wrote:
Mark Amodeo wrote:It seems there is a problem with the number of posts allowed. There is no bar allowing a page selection lol I just got an email update that someone made a post and wants to buy my struts but it would be on a nonexistent page 2. Made a post and reply count increases but cant view it. Also tried multiple browsers and my phone, all the same results. Also tried another ad with over 25 replies, it has the same issue as well.

Do you just need a link? Here is your ad.
I was able to get to it through your profile. Also, maybe you could do a search for the title? I don't use the classifieds much or at all really, so I'm just throwing it out there. It is odd to have an active ad not visible.

It's active and visible, however there are enough posts that it should roll over to a second page, there are currently 27 replies and only 25 to a page, there are 2 posts missing and one is the person who wants to buy lol
Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:12 PM
This might be a dumb question... is there a way to search ALL the classifieds? I just can't seem to find it.

Say, I'm looking for a BCM. I went to all the separate classifieds and searched each one individually, but couldn't find a way to search them all at once. (not that I found any listed...)
Monday, August 19, 2013 8:41 AM
Any news on this?

http://www.j-body.org/forums/list.php?f=classifieds

PRND321 Till I DIE
Friday, August 23, 2013 3:43 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Any news on this?

That was never supposed to exist. And it doesn't anymore. Where'd you even find that?

Friday, August 23, 2013 7:20 PM
Dave wrote:

That was never supposed to exist. And it doesn't anymore. Where'd you even find that?

He hacked the forum!!!!! Ban him!!!!!

J/K, I've seen it before too.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Saturday, August 24, 2013 11:21 PM
Dave wrote:

you had to have mentioned it in the past... a lot of us had replies on there... prior to it being mentioned here....

i completely forgot about it until i saw this thread.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:47 PM
I unsubscribed from a classified ad. And it sent me there.

PRND321 Till I DIE

Monday, August 26, 2013 10:50 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I unsubscribed from a classified ad. And it sent me there.

Well that would be a bug. And it only took 3 years for someone to report it.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:17 AM
Is it possible to have the classified ads posted under the current forum username (the one we can edit at anytime, as opposed to our registered name? I.E. my sale ads show as Matt Yoder and I'd like it say Evilution.
I'm more inclined to look at and consider an ad from a name I know, and honestly, I associate everyone by their forum names, haha...I couldn't even tell you the real names of half the people I talk to here!

Also, how about an approval system, as a means to prevent spam, advertising, etc. I've seen a member advertise his facebook group in several different forums recently, and now in the classifieds....I know more of a trivial matter, but it is annoying. Classifieds are to buy, sell, trade, etc...not try and get GME members to join a Facebook group.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:14 AM
EVILution (KGMs FrankenCav) wrote:Is it possible to have the classified ads posted under the current forum username (the one we can edit at anytime, as opposed to our registered name? I.E. my sale ads show as Matt Yoder and I'd like it say Evilution.
I'm more inclined to look at and consider an ad from a name I know, and honestly, I associate everyone by their forum names, haha...I couldn't even tell you the real names of half the people I talk to here!

That's a good point. I'm in the process of completely turning the site upside-down and that includes the classifieds. Big changes are afoot, that's all I'm going to say right now. But your change has been noted, and I will work on it.

EVILution (KGMs FrankenCav) wrote:Also, how about an approval system, as a means to prevent spam, advertising, etc. I've seen a member advertise his facebook group in several different forums recently, and now in the classifieds....I know more of a trivial matter, but it is annoying. Classifieds are to buy, sell, trade, etc...not try and get GME members to join a Facebook group.

I have not yet decided how I'm going to cut down on spam and junk, but some kind of approval process, particularly for new members is possible.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:04 AM
A lot of forums do a 5 post rule before you can make a new thread. I may just shift the spam around from new topics to random threads though.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search