Cool parts to make... (if only i had a ______) - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cool parts to make... (if only i had a ______)
Monday, January 10, 2011 9:10 PM
if you had a friend who owed you a favor, and he worked at welding / fabrication / machine shop..... What would you ask him to make for you...

Trying to think of some cool and parts for our cars.... Just looking for ideas... What would you have made if you could make something custom for your car... maybe something not available for j-bodys, but is made for other cars, or just some neat idea that no one has done yet...

brackets, adapters, flanges, mounts, spacers, etc...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, January 10, 2011 9:11 PM

Re: Cool parts to make... (if only i had a ______)
Monday, January 10, 2011 9:36 PM
1/2" phenolic plenum spacer for the 2.2 ohv (95-97).

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, January 10, 2011 9:39 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:1/2" phenolic plenum spacer for the 2.2 ohv (95-97).

a throttle body spacer? or intake manifold spacer?

anyone know what material they make them out of?
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:15 AM
I'm making one out of wood.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:22 AM
Mike wrote:I'm making one out of wood.

wood eh? good choice... low thermal conductivity, ease of machining, light weight, low cost....

just hope your not boosted... wood doesn't like pressure... or moisture... make sure you use treated lumber... hate to see you get termites in your engine! and don't forget to re-torque the bolts every 100 miles. or you could just use some galvanized nails

post some photos up for us when you get it done... Im sure people would love to see it!

I was thinking about making mine from some sort of fiber reinforced polymer compound... just not sure which are best suited for the thermal characteristics of a spacer like this.

I guess it depends on the intended purpose of the spacer... some people like them for heat reasons, some just want a place to put an injector for nos or meth, some just want some clearance... Im guessing now that maybe some people like the smell of pine under the hood.
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 10:44 AM
just off the top of my head...

adapter to bolt j-body wheel bearings onto an n-body aluminum knuckle.
aluminum sub-frame.
aluminum lower radiator support brace/beam that connects to the sub-frame.
removable upper radiator support brace.
strut tower to upper radiator support brace, braces.
torque strut from lower radiator support to either engine or transmission.
undercarriage braces.
rear caliper brackets for a rear disc conversion.
off-set spacers for camber that go between the hub and axle in the rear.
tubular lower control arms.
aluminum bumper supports.
aluminum fog light mounts.
aluminum seat mounts.
aluminum harness bar/roof brace.

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:19 PM
how many of these threads are you going to make?

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:32 PM
ken soggs wrote:
Mike wrote:I'm making one out of wood.

wood eh? good choice... low thermal conductivity, ease of machining, light weight, low cost....

just hope your not boosted... wood doesn't like pressure... or moisture... make sure you use treated lumber... hate to see you get termites in your engine! and don't forget to re-torque the bolts every 100 miles. or you could just use some galvanized nails

post some photos up for us when you get it done... Im sure people would love to see it!

I was thinking about making mine from some sort of fiber reinforced polymer compound... just not sure which are best suited for the thermal characteristics of a spacer like this.

I guess it depends on the intended purpose of the spacer... some people like them for heat reasons, some just want a place to put an injector for nos or meth, some just want some clearance... Im guessing now that maybe some people like the smell of pine under the hood.

Wood is fine to use. I think MadJack uses one too. Im not boosted, and it is just to increase plenum volume (I have a 2.2 OHV). Others may do it for other reasons, but thats why Im doing it like this. Plenty of companies sell wood spacers.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:33 PM
An accelerator pedal spacer/extension or replacement pedal assembly that would be level with the brake pedal, when the brake pedal is fully depressed. For heel/toe downshifting. It must clear the floor for WOT, though. And a larger accelerator pedal wouldn't hurt either.

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:52 PM
Caliper brackets so I could put these brembos that where on an acura rl on the front of the fire!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, January 12, 2011 6:33 AM

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 6:59 AM
Nate (THE NASTY ONE) wrote:Caliper brackets so I could put these brembos that where on an acura rl on the front of the fire!

If you can get me all the measurements for your particular setup, i could probably do this for you. But without access to your setup i would just be shooting in the dark.

(same is true for most anything you guys want... if i dont have the parts accessable to measure, and use for mock up and testing, i would need you guys to provide me with a drawing with all the needed measurements)

Chelotus Cav wrote:An accelerator pedal spacer/extension or replacement pedal assembly that would be level with the brake pedal, when the brake pedal is fully depressed. For heel/toe downshifting. It must clear the floor for WOT, though. And a larger accelerator pedal wouldn't hurt either.

hmmmm very interesting.... I will definitely look into this for you...

z yaaaa wrote:just off the top of my head...

aluminum sub-frame.
undercarriage braces.
aluminum seat mounts.

well... someone has been making a list... i will look into some of these... see what i might be able to tackle.

blucavvy wrote:how many of these threads are you going to make?

Not sure.... probably a handful of them... You have a problem with me trying to help people out?
if you have a problem with people wasting space on the forum, why don't you lead by example and stop posting up meaningless replies like that.
do you think that helps anyone or improves the forum?

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 7:16 AM
z yaaaa wrote:just off the top of my head...

aluminum sub-frame.
undercarriage braces.
aluminum seat mounts.

I'm with this guy... Everything needed for a kick ass engine bay too for an Eco motor

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
" Leave the rice to Uncle Ben's and the wings to KFC..
Go clean or go home. "

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:53 AM
LN2 1/2" phenolic plenum spacer for the 2.2 ohv (95-97). Easy as cake. Never got my hands on a LN2 motor for one.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:05 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:LN2 1/2" phenolic plenum spacer for the 2.2 ohv (95-97). Easy as cake. Never got my hands on a LN2 motor for one.

don't even need the engine. make it the same exact shape as the plenum gasket, just 1/2 inch thick. i'd buy one the day it was released.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:56 AM
Interesting.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:21 AM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:
-MD- Enforcer wrote:LN2 1/2" phenolic plenum spacer for the 2.2 ohv (95-97). Easy as cake. Never got my hands on a LN2 motor for one.

don't even need the engine. make it the same exact shape as the plenum gasket, just 1/2 inch thick. i'd buy one the day it was released.

Hmmm... I just happen to have a block of 1/2" aluminum in my vise as we speak... I will have to see if i cant get my hands on a LN2 Plenum gasket... maybe whip one of these guys up right quick...

What would a nice aluminum one be worth to you all?
Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:01 AM
Ken it should be cake.
autozone has them for $10.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:02 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:57 PM
ken soggs wrote:
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:

Hmmm... I just happen to have a block of 1/2" aluminum in my vise as we speak... I will have to see if i cant get my hands on a LN2 Plenum gasket... maybe whip one of these guys up right quick...

What would a nice aluminum one be worth to you all?

not much in aluminum. i was wanting phenolic for its low heat transfer.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:14 AM
ok.... no aluminum then,

i can do wood if you all like that... wood is cheap and easy to work with.... i just know that wood compresses under pressure (bolt torque) and expands and contracts with heat and moisture.. it can crack and splinter causing leaks. dries out if exposed to chemicals and solvents (gas and oil)

but if you all like wood, i can make them easy as pie in wood. i just wont offer any warranty on wood.

i can also get my hands on true phenolic plastics... which is the proper way to go here. will cost a lil more... but i would think that is a better choice.

Let me know what these things are worth to you all.... i will do this like priceline and progressive... you can name your price. if i can get the materials and it is worth my time to make, then you got a deal and will soon have some spacers.

but if the plastic costs me $20 and you only want to pay $25... then not really worth my time and electricity to make these.

wood is super cheap and easy to get... so that is nothing. if that is what you want.

and i am not able to find any local autoparts stores that have the gaskets in stock....
anyone have one laying around? or even a drawing with accurate measurements?
Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:32 AM
Personally. I think phenolic is the only way to go.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:35 AM
that is what i would think as well.

but hey if they want wood i will make them wooden ones... saves me lots of grief.

did you actualy see them in stock at autozone? i looked online and it said could not even be ordered.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 9:24 AM
Yeah. I called a few local autozones. They had them in stock.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:23 AM
Maybe later down the road we can work on some thing. Ima broke ass right now

Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:46 AM
ummmmm an exhaust header for the 1995 2.3 guys... I thought someone would of made them, but can't find anything!!! Maybe something that is based off the HO Exhaust manifold... but works without custom exhaust work.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:06 PM
freelancer1988 wrote:ummmmm an exhaust header for the 1995 2.3 guys... I thought someone would of made them, but can't find anything!!! Maybe something that is based off the HO Exhaust manifold... but works without custom exhaust work.

Not sure how you missed this

Custom 2.3/2.4 Headers for the Jbody

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search