found a car i'd like to buy, worth it? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
found a car i'd like to buy, worth it?
Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:57 PM
i found a 95 cavalier for 600buck, has new brakes, control arm bushings, wheel bearings, ect. but theres a catch, it has a broken wire somewhere in the engine harness or so he says, apparently if you play around and move the harness around the engine will run nice, but once you start driving in rain, slush and stuff, it goes to running on 3cyls

question is, wopuld this be an easy fix iif i were to buy it? i just dont want to drive my 03 sunfire in the winter anymore

Re: found a car i'd like to buy, worth it?
Thursday, February 17, 2011 4:24 AM
Can't really go wrong with a $600 DD...especially with new bearings/bushings, etc. I would say, if you can confirm that it is just a faulty engine harness, or even the ECU, you can grab one out of a junkyard cheap (around my local yards, less than $50).

Easy fix? If it is indeed the engine harness, I would say so...it's certainly time consuming to fish out the old harness and replace, but it's not difficult.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:09 AM
well he wont budge on the price, i dont really have an extra $600 to spend on another car, but if i keep driving my 03 in all this salt and @!#$, itll make for repairs to it later

Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:13 AM
do you trust the guy? if you truly believe that is the only problem then as said grab a new wire harness at the junkyard and spend a day swapping them out. if you dont trust him and your not able to drive the car and really tell if that is the only issue then who knows what your buying.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:44 PM
ive decided against buying it, because if it turns out theres more wrong with it than he says, well i just wont have the money to fix it, so im thinking i should look for something that runs fine

Thursday, February 17, 2011 4:35 PM
dxdean3 wrote:ive decided against buying it, because if it turns out theres more wrong with it than he says, well i just wont have the money to fix it, so im thinking i should look for something that runs fine

no offense, but your'e not going to find something that runs "fine" for 600 bucks.

at that price, most cars your'e going to see will have several issues. most common being

struts way past due
brakes
tires
bushings all over the car

and for that amount of money your'e probly looking at high mileage older cars, in which case you have no idea how those engines/transmissions have been treated all their poor lives. suck it up, beater's cost 600 bucks for one reason. cuz they're p.o.s.'s. if you buy one, or are looking into one expect to have to wrench for awhile. most of them just need some tlc but every used older car is going to have issues. period.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:35 PM
i know, im not stupid, all i meant is, as long as it runs, and drives ok, i can fix everything else fairly cheap, i just dont want to get into buying computers and wiring harnesses and stuff, my father used to buy, fix, and sell cars, i can pretty well tell whats junk and what isnt, i just wasnt sure on this one because im not to keen on wiring and playing with wiring hanresses

Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:59 PM
why are u afraid of wiring?

Friday, February 18, 2011 1:18 PM
i just hate wiring, im good at it, i just hate doing it

Friday, February 18, 2011 10:02 PM
I had that on my '95, it was coil packs though, not a harness. Check that first.

-95 CAVfire SE Sedan 2.2L *Retired*
-99 Sunfire GT 2.4L
-85 Dodge Shelby Turbo TII Roller Cam Build *in progress*
Saturday, February 19, 2011 9:45 AM
could be a bad injector too

Sunday, February 20, 2011 11:33 PM
if you know how to do it, but hate it, then you cant really bitch about money cause doing the work saves you that. its one or the other, cupcake... its like Blu said, for that price range, you're more than likely find a junkbot. if I were you, I'd ask him to lemme give the car a good looking over, to narrow the problem down to what he said it is

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Friday, February 25, 2011 5:35 PM
Is this the red cav-fire that was on kijiji?

Saturday, February 26, 2011 9:48 PM
yep, its the one that was on there for 600, but i had to buy another fuel pump for the sunfire so, there goes any idea of buying another car for a while, plus a tow bill to get the car home after the fuel pump died

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search