Pontiac Nationals - Norwalk, OH Aug 4 - 6, 2006 - Page 2 - Events Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Pontiac Nationals - Norwalk, OH Aug 4 - 6, 200
Tuesday, June 06, 2006 5:57 PM
Also have you had any problems with there email address? I have emailed them many times with different questions and never heard back to any of them. I might call tomorrow. Hope to see you there!

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 6:48 AM
The regular campground is actually not very close to the ammenities at Norwalk. The campground is on the spectator side of the track (the left side), and down near the end of the track (nearly 1/2 mile from the starting line). There are porta-potties on that side, but no showers. The shower and permanent bathroom facilities are on the pit side of the track (the right side). They are VERY NICE, and the water doesn't smell funny! They have bathroom attendants that keep them neat and clean, and are the nicest facilities that I have seen at any dragstrip. They charge $3 for a shower, and the lines can get a little long sometimes, but it's still a bargain.

The promoters are great people, and they do a wonderful job with the event. Depending on how busy they are at that time promoting a few other events that they do, it may take a few days to get back to you. A phone call to Pete or his wife Andi might be good.

I look forward to meeting you there!

'93 Sunbird SE 3.1 5-speed
'00 Grand Prix GTP Sedan
sunbird93racer@yahoo.com
Wednesday, June 07, 2006 12:33 PM
Lines for showers? I don't think my wife is going to go for that. I think we might rent a hotel even if it's $70-$120 a night. I mean we are still on our honeymoon being married only 1 year so it will be worth not listening to her complain. Thanks for the heads up!

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 6:56 PM
The lines aren't all that bad depending on when you go to the showers. People wouldn't be standing in line if they weren't worth it! Either get there early in the morning, or early evening, and the lines aren't too bad. Norwalk really does have the best "creature comforts" (restrooms, showers, food, souvenir shop, etc) for the family, of all the tracks I have been too (a dozen or so in 7 states in the northeast and upper midwest). I've been to tracks where port-potties and wet wipes were as good as it gets!
If you decide to get a hotel, get reservations early, and prepare to pay thru the nose. Since Norwalk is near Sandusky, OH, a major tourist destination due to Cedar Point amusement park, the weekend hotel rates are very high. My wife and I drive there Thursday (just to get in line to get into the track), get a hotel that night, and then camp in the pits the rest of the time. That helps offset some of the costs of the the 900 mile round trip! Try camping, just make sure you have a good tent (that doesn't leak) and a good air mattress (that doesn't leak either!), unless the hotel expense is no object for you.
See you there in only about 8 weeks!

'00 Grand Prix GTP Sedan
sunbird93racer@yahoo.com
Thursday, June 08, 2006 11:43 AM
I just got the campsite. It didn't sound like it was filled up or anywhere near as they asked me where I wanted to be and they just randomly said they would put my by the entrance so I said ok...

Also he told me the spot was 100square feet so thats only 10x10 right? Thats a small campsite! Especially since I have a 12x17 tent!!!

Thursday, June 08, 2006 5:13 PM
You were better off to reserve it now. There won't be much room left as the event gets closer. The place is always full by the time of the event. The "campground area" is on the smaller side, but I didn't think the sites were that small! It always looked like there was enough room for a normal size tent, some camp chairs, and a place to park one car. As long as you get there early and set up, others will just have to fit in around you.

'00 Grand Prix GTP Sedan
sunbird93racer@yahoo.com
Thursday, June 08, 2006 6:07 PM
Yeah I called back and the girl told me the guy that I talked to didn't know anything and it's like 30x30ft or something like that...plenty of room for the late night parties j/k.

Thursday, June 08, 2006 6:22 PM
i'm gonna sleep in my car in the pits LOL

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 2:09 PM
Sounds fun! I think I will stick to my blow up mattress though.

Monday, June 26, 2006 8:02 PM
Only 39 more days to go! I can't wait! This is the one event I look forward to all year long.

'00 Grand Prix GTP Sedan
sunbird93racer@yahoo.com
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 3:38 AM
Doesn't seem to me many people here interested in the event...

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 7:19 AM
There seems to be more interest than in the past, which is good. This event used to be on the same weekend as the J-Body Bash, so it takes time for people to make the switch. Plus, the vast majority of the J-Body community seems to have Cavies, and this event doesn't cater to them. I still have high hopesof seeing a big J-Body Pontiac improvement. See you there!

'00 Grand Prix GTP Sedan
sunbird93racer@yahoo.com
Monday, July 10, 2006 4:39 PM
Only 25 days to go! Who will be there with me?

'00 Grand Prix GTP Sedan
sunbird93racer@yahoo.com
Thursday, July 20, 2006 5:23 PM
It looks like my Sunbird Turbo GT Convertible is going to end up parked in the car corral for sale. I really want to race it, but the wife really wants me to sell it and I know she's right. Right now I have 4 cars, a truck a van and 3 motorcycles. 2 of my kids still live at home and have cars also. The Sunbird is a neat car and really rare, but I'll never get my 66 GTO done if I don't start selling some cars. The Fiero will probably be for sale also. Heck, maybe I'll park the Fiero in the car corral with a poster for the Sunbird so I can go ahead and race it. Either way, I'll be sure and stop by and say hi and good luck. See ya in a couple weeks. August 4,5 & 6.
Tuesday, July 25, 2006 4:26 PM
Sorry you have to sell the Sunbird but it does make sense from what you said. I hope you have a huge garage!

Who else is going?

Be sure to stop by campsite #8 friday or saturday night to say hi! We aren't much for drinking so if your drunk or want to be don't bother stopping by.

We will probably bring some old print copies of the magazine and will be taking plenty of pictures of the event for our next issue!

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 7:17 PM
Hey Kevin,
I think you were onto something when you mentioned posting something with the Fiero about the Sunbird being for sale, and still racing it too! It's starting to sound like I may be the only racing J-Body otherwise (I sure hope not!).

By this time a week from now, my Sunbird will be firmly attached to my wheel dolly, hooked up to our Trailblazer, and ready to roll! This event is the highlight of my racing year!

Hope to see many more of you there!

'00 Grand Prix GTP Sedan
sunbird93racer@yahoo.com
Friday, August 04, 2006 10:33 PM
be there watching sat and sun
Sunday, August 06, 2006 12:59 PM
Hardly any J-Bodies where there at all. I saw like one show Sunfire. I don't think I saw any j-bodies racing.

I will have a complete article and pictures of what we got in the next issue of Domestic Driver though if anyone want's to take a look!

There were some great F-Bodies and W-Bodies there.

Monday, August 07, 2006 10:43 AM
There were no J-Bodies racing. I am partially to blame for that. My Sunbird developed a bad miss shortly before I was going to leave. Rather than risk bringing a car that I might not be able to race 900 miles roundtrip, I brought my GTP instead. I didn't do well at all this year (the car runs great, I just can't cut a light in it), but had fun. The Sunbird will definitely be in the staging lanes next year!

Kevin, glad I had a chance to say hello to you however briefly. Did you get any offers on the Turbo Convertible? Hope so.

'00 Grand Prix GTP Sedan
sunbird93racer@yahoo.com
Monday, August 07, 2006 12:10 PM
Joe - What color was your GTP? I think I might have got pictures of it since I took pictures of mostly all the FWD cars racing. Also what did you run?

I wanted to see some 04+ GP's race but no one did I should have took my base 05 GP out there lol.

Also I didn't even see a Turbo Convertible for sale? Was it in the Car Corral or in the pits?

Monday, August 07, 2006 9:28 PM
I had 1 of the 2 Redfire Metallic GTP Sedans there with taupe leather interior. Mine has the Limited Edition hood, and unmistakable WI plates "V8 EATR 2." My best pass was a 13.961. Not bad considering it only has a 3.4" pulley, Autolite 104 plugs, & DHP v1.0. Since I am running on street tires with a full factory original exhaust (including u-bend), I am pleased with the ET. The density altitude was pretty high (between 2500 and 3000 most of the weekend), so that hurt ETs too.

I only knew of one '04 or newer GTP there, and it never left the trailer due to mechanical problems.

Yes, Kevin's car was in the car corral. It is blue.

'00 Grand Prix GTP Sedan
sunbird93racer@yahoo.com

Thursday, August 10, 2006 9:58 PM
There was zero interest in the Sunbird Turbo GT Convertible. I got there Friday and had it in the front row of the car corrall. I didn't put a lot of effort other than putting it there and being available for questions (of which there were none). While getting the car ready to go, I did find a couple of things that seem to have perked it up a bit. I wouldn't mind getting it back on the track again. The way things are going, maybe I'll race it at Norwalk next Pontiac Nationals!! I may try the classifieds here or try ebay again. As much as I like it, I know I really should sell it. Joe - I'm glad I finally caught up with you to say hi, even if it was in the staging lanes. Those six cylinder GP's sure are quick for sixes. There was a couple Fieros up there with those supercharged engines installed. That would make a good swap for my Fiero or the Sunbird!! There I go making plans for cars I need to sell. Ever think of getting one of those motors for your Sunbird? I guess I'll see you next year,

Kevin
Friday, August 11, 2006 8:32 PM
Hey Kevin,
I'm very sorry to hear that you didn't get any interest in the Sunbird. I guess most of the buyers were looking for older RWD V-8 Pontiacs. I hope you will find a good home for the ol' bird. There are some folks out there who really like the Turbo cars, and I hope one of them steps forward.
Yeah, the SC3800 is a good engine, and doesn't take too much tweaking to make it really scoot. I have very few mods on my GTP, and with a race weight of 3725, it has no problem running high 13s (in good air). These engines in a Fiero or J-Body could see low 13s or high 12s without too much work (if you can get traction!).
As much as I like the engine, I would NEVER put one in my Sunbird. I am trying to stay as true to the original platform as possible. I don't even plan to do a "hybrid set-up" (SFI3400 top end and heads). I have a contact that says I should be able to make 225 to 250 hp at the crank with a naturally aspirated 3.1MPFI. With that kind of power, I could be in the low 14s/high 13s, and that would sure turn some heads! Then I want to use the parts from my '92 Sunbird parts car to get mine looking like new again. Once it looks good again, and runs like a GTP, I think I can enjoy it even more for years to come. Remember, this was my very first car, and it will never be up for sale as long as I am breathing. Is that dedication, or am I just nuts?
See you next year!

'00 Grand Prix GTP Sedan
sunbird93racer@yahoo.com
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search