Wierd junk in my breather tube - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wierd junk in my breather tube
Saturday, February 12, 2005 3:47 PM
Yeah, so here's the deal. I go to take my car apart, cuz its a nice warm day and it looked like it needed some love, and I also took advantage to finally hook up my dash gauges.

So, for kicks I take the whole intake system out, because I put my turbo filter on the end of my S-tube for kicks. So just for the hell of it I took off my airbox and take a look at my breather tube. There is a cream colored goop coming out of it. So I stick my finger in there to get a decent sized sample and it smells like a 2 stroke. Anybody who doesn't know what a 2 stroke smells like it smells like gas and oil mixed together.

So why would there be a gas smelling substance coming out of my breather tube? Even if the rings were bad you'd have to dump gallons of fuel in the cylinders to get gas into the crankcase...

Maybe the injectors are leaking and under vaccum are somehow being sucked back through the intake and into the airbox, and into the crankcase that way when its all under vacuum?

I'm stuck, I want to know what this is before I get the turbo on, if its a problem it needs to be fixed.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Re: Wierd junk in my breather tube
Sunday, February 13, 2005 6:23 PM
Sounds like you've been giving your car TOO much lovin'

O noes!
Monday, February 14, 2005 6:44 AM
Shifted (KickAzz) wrote:Yeah, so here's the deal. I go to take my car apart, cuz its a nice warm day and it looked like it needed some love, and I also took advantage to finally hook up my dash gauges.

So, for kicks I take the whole intake system out, because I put my turbo filter on the end of my S-tube for kicks. So just for the hell of it I took off my airbox and take a look at my breather tube. There is a cream colored goop coming out of it. So I stick my finger in there to get a decent sized sample and it smells like a 2 stroke. Anybody who doesn't know what a 2 stroke smells like it smells like gas and oil mixed together.

So why would there be a gas smelling substance coming out of my breather tube? Even if the rings were bad you'd have to dump gallons of fuel in the cylinders to get gas into the crankcase...

Maybe the injectors are leaking and under vaccum are somehow being sucked back through the intake and into the airbox, and into the crankcase that way when its all under vacuum?

I'm stuck, I want to know what this is before I get the turbo on, if its a problem it needs to be fixed.

When i took my air box off, the one that comes with an iceman intake i believe... the guy that had mine before me put a crappy intake on it.. he got it from andysautosports.com and it was an iceman.. anyway.. back to your question.. my breather tube was smashed underneath the black box and it had a white, goopy looking substance coming out of it.. So i called a local shop and they said when you don't get enough air flow to the engine that it willl start gathering up oil/dirt/gas and other things of that nature and it all builds up.. he said just to have it cleaned or wipe it off and put a hose clamp on it.. i dunno if this helped you but, bascially he said it was oil and a dirt mix...
Monday, February 14, 2005 8:09 AM
Oil / water mix . I bet you live somwhere where it can get quite cold? Then you take a short trip once or twice a week? Its normal for an engine with some wear for LITTLE oil to get into the tube, combine that with condensation because of sitting , then a cold start and a short trip = creamy goopy substance. Before I replaced the piston rings I had oil on the plugs and everywhere else top side that oil shouldnt be. I had, at the time about a 5 minute drive to work. So the oil would get into the breather tube, then I would go to work at 430 am before the stupid salt truck even came out when the roads were still covered in ice (very cold) and wholla (sp?) I dont think its a huge problem, because I still have a small amount of goop in my breather tube and have been just fine for the last 30K miles.

Ramstein J
97Z on the Autobahn
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search