TIPS TO SAVE ON GAS!!! (Save some $$) - Page 8 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: TIPS TO SAVE ON GAS!!! (Save some $$)
Saturday, August 19, 2006 1:02 PM
Godspeed, the best thing you can do to lower your revs is to swap out your tranmission for a Getrag 5-speed.

I have one and I get:
~2000rpm @ 55mph
~2200rpm @ 60mph
~2750rpm @ 75mph

Still, it doesn't matter too much what your revs are at that speed because most of your energy is going towards aerodynamic drag, which increases exponentially at speed. You'll probably save a good 35% on fuel by slowing down to 60mph.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Monday, October 09, 2006 8:14 AM
i've got the number 1 way to increase mileage!!!!!

Going from a V-8 to inline four

Serously though i went from 10mpg to 30mpg

LOTS of of extra gas money!
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:07 PM
I know this thread is quite old, but I felt like I should impute a few things. 1, that comment right up there about the Getrag. I went from a 2.4 LD9 w/ the Isuzu 5spd, to a 2.2 ECO w/ the Getrag 5spd, and the gearing in that Getrag is insane. I was amazed at how SHORT they were. If I shift at 3k, I'm in 4th gear doin 35mph. With the old tranny, I'd be doin about 40, maybe 41. That seems to add up goin down the interstate in 5th gear. The gas mileage doesnt seem any wrose or better.2, elevation and atmosphere seem to have an effect on mileage, as well as performance. Prime example is my wife's '00 VW Jetta VR6. She used to pull 400 miles out of a full tank when she lived in CA. We got married and she moved out here (well, I talked her into movin here first ), and now, she barely gets 300 to a tank. We've done everything under the sun to tune the car up, and cant seem to make it right again. 3, and I dont know how many cars this applies to, but it was mentioned earlier that keeping the revs low will improve gas mileage. Well, in my old CRX (I had no choice but to buy the POS), I got better gas mileage if you kept it revved rather high, around 3k-3500. I tried driving my ex's '96 Z24 the same way, and it wasnt a pretty sight. I guess it all depends on your weapon of choice. If you want the best gas mileage, go find an old VW Rabbit Diesel. 60+mpg. And really, we got no room to bitch here. Over in England and most of Europe, they pay more than double what we pay, or at least it was that way not too long ago.

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Thursday, April 19, 2007 9:34 AM
they still do. in europe on average they pay is about $2 a liter, or $8 a gallon. that's more than double than what you guys pay in the states. but remember in europe most cars are small and you don't need 50 liters to fill it up. in fact a neon or a cavalier would be considered a large car by their standard. that's because over there on top of expensive fuel you pay a road tax. the bigger the engine the more you pay.
Thursday, July 05, 2007 6:17 PM
Was wandering around looking for AC info and found the AC FAQ thread, good stuff. I just thought I'd add my 2 cents on this.
I have a stock 98 2.2 Manual Sunfire with 160k on the ticker (other than a K&N air filter). I ripped the entire back seat out, LOL, and all my work commute is all highway. I use cruise control and live on flat land at the coast, and I'm getting 37mpg. Thats come to 480 miles on one tank of gas regularly

I'm quite the envy of a few of my friends

98 Sunfire 2.2L
Goat Skull in the rear. It's science not satan!
About 97% stock
Sunday, July 08, 2007 10:59 AM
cool!

@!#$ Hondas!!

Saturday, August 11, 2007 11:41 PM
i have a little free knowledge for all of you about saving gas, i am studying for my ASE test for engine performance and i came across the following while reading. ....A weak or discharged battery should be replaced as soon as possible. a weak battery causes a constant load on the generator that can cause the stator windings to overheat and fail. low battery voltage also affects the electronic fuel-injection system. the computer senses low battery voltage and increases the fuel injection on-time to help compensate for the lower voltage to the fuel pump and fuel injectors. this increase in injector pulse time is added to calculated pulse time and sometimes called the battery voltage correction factor. reduced fuel economy could therefore be the result of a weak or defective battery. So check your battery and all your charging system for proper specs.

Friday, August 31, 2007 10:00 AM
I have a 99 Z24 with 150k on the 2.4L motor. The problem I have is with the amount of fuel being consumed for no reason. It does not seem right for a little car to eat that much gas and I try to keep my rpm in the middle, not to low, not to high. I can literally see the needle going down and whenever I put 10 dollars in, it barely gives me a qaurter. A 20KM trip will result in the needle going down half way. What can be the problem? And please tell me how you get for 10-20 dollars of gas with the price in 90-99 cents a litir thanks.
Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:50 AM
Quote:

I have a stock 98 2.2 Manual Sunfire with 160k on the ticker (other than a K&N air filter). I ripped the entire back seat out, LOL, and all my work commute is all highway. I use cruise control and live on flat land at the coast, and I'm getting 37mpg. Thats come to 480 miles on one tank of gas regularly

I can confirm this. My 02 2200 5spd tops out at 37 mpg hwy ~60mph. I'm working on some electronic mods to try to raise that number and if they help, I'll post results. The disturbing thing is that my 98 auto does even better at 42mpg.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Monday, September 24, 2007 8:07 AM
Update: I've achieved 40.2 mpg highway on a long night trip after leaning out the fuel mixture slightly. Tuning continues...

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Saturday, October 27, 2007 4:32 PM
ronny phodiebuster wrote:I And please tell me how you get for 10-20 dollars of gas with the price in 90-99 cents a litir thanks.

You 1) pull up to the gas station 2) take the nozzle that says 87 octane on it 3) put it in your gas tank 4) squeeze and stop squeezing when the number on the gas machine is between $10-20 5) Pay (optional)

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 3:03 PM
What kind of gas milage do you guys get in the winter? I've lost approx 5 mpg since it started snowing and got cold.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 6:55 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:We all know how pricey gas is getting now-a-days and from the looks of it, it isn't going to get any cheaper either. Prices are ranging from over $1.50 to over way over $2.00 per gallon in some states.

i just read that and had a giggle. cuz i just filled up at $3.09 in MI
Friday, April 04, 2008 7:34 AM
Here is the EPA testing gas saving devices
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/reports.htm

Fuel economy data and instructions on how to read the test results
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/tcldata.htm

This is from GM

Bulletin No.: 05-00-89-072A

Date: October 16, 2007

INFORMATION

Subject:
Fuel and Oil Additives - Facts and Myths/Maximizing Fuel Economy

Models:
2008 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)
2008 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3
2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

Attention: Please direct this bulletin to the Service Manager, the Service Consultants and the Sales Staff. A copy of this bulletin is encouraged to be given to your customer as it is written with the consumer in mind. You may also post this bulletin in your customer lounge or waiting area.

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update model years, Top Tier fuel providers and revise the Federal Trade Commission website address. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-00-89-072 (Section 00 - General information).

A Statement About Fuel Economy

As gasoline prices have increased, the consumer has shifted priorities to become increasingly concerned with fuel consumption. GM is presently proud to offer over 30 cars in the U.S. with EPA highway estimates of at least 30 mpg. In Canada, vehicles are rated for fuel consumption in liters per 100 kilometers. GM offers over 20 vehicles in Canada that consume less than 7.0L/100 km on the highway. The information below contains reasonable and prudent advice for your dealership and the consumer to get the most from every gallon or litre of gas.

The information below is presented in two easy to understand sections:

What Not To Do: Engine and Fuel Additives, Alternate Fuels, and "Miracle" Products

What to Do: Maximizing Fuel Economy/Minimizing Costs

WHAT NOT TO DO: Engine and Fuel Additives, Alternate Fuels, and "Miracle" Products

Various unproven products to improve vehicle fuel economy have been reported ranging from magnets that align molecules to chemical combustion improvers.

Most products claiming to provide benefits are based on unsubstantiated claims. Those that do present "scientific" results generally either have too little supporting data to be conclusive, have not conducted experiments in a controlled fashion, or cannot be substantiated by anyone else but the products manufacturer.

The U.S. Federal Trade Commission summarizes results for products tested by the federal government at:

www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/autos/aut10.shtm. A review of the list shows that the majority did not work, and for those that showed some effect, the benefit was too small to be cost effective.

Harmful Ideas That May Damage Your Vehicle and Increase Emissions

One more recent poor idea to improve fuel economy that should not be attempted is to blend either kerosene or diesel fuel into gasoline. Why? Both kerosene and diesel fuel are distillate fuels meant for use in compression ignition engines, not spark ignition engines. They have very low octane and since they are heavier (higher density) than gasoline, they will cause heavy engine deposits and degradation of engine oil.

Never put Kerosene or Diesel Fuel in your Gasoline Engine vehicle. This may result in inconsistent performance and permanent damage to your vehicle that is not covered by your New Vehicle Warranty.

Chemicals that are normally used as solvents also should not be used. These include acetone, ketones, and methanol. These solvents can be incompatible with your vehicles rubber or sealing components, and may dissolve the vehicle's paint finish. In the case of methanol, corrosion of metal parts in the fuel system also may occur.

Never use acetone, ketones, or methanol additives in your vehicle. Some of these solvents may damage or corrode your fuel system. They are also very damaging to the painted surfaces of the vehicle if spilled.

Damage to vehicle components that result from non-approved or aftermarket additives and devices are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty. The only fuel additive currently approved by GM is GM Fuel System Treatment Plus, P/N 88861011 (in Canada, # 88861012).

WHAT TO DO: Maximizing Fuel Economy/Minimizing Costs

The best fuel economy possible is the direct result of proper maintenance and good driving habits. Listed below are GM's recommendations to achieve the best mileage possible. The first group are things to consider for your vehicle, while the second are tips relating to your driving habits.

Vehicle Considerations:

Tire Pressure

- One of the major contributors to poor fuel economy are under inflated tires. Tires low on pressure create drag that the vehicle's powertrain must overcome, wasting dollars in fuel. Always keep your tires inflated to the proper pressure as shown on the vehicle placard. This not only serves to increase gas mileage but cuts down on tire wear, further decreasing your costs per mile.

Air Filter

- A vehicle that has a dirty air filter can't efficiently draw air into the engine. This restriction forces the engine to expend energy to "breathe" wasting fuel in the process. Change recommendations are found in your vehicle Owner's Manual.

Proper Viscosity "Starburst" Rated Oil

- Always use the proper viscosity oil in your engine. Oil that has a higher than required viscosity will create more drag on the internal components of the engine, causing more work for it, especially when cold. Each Owner's Manual contains information on the proper type of oil for your vehicle. Look for the "starburst" symbol on the front of the bottle, and the SM rating on the API circle on the back label. If you are in doubt, stop by your dealer for an oil change, and any other services required. Most current GM vehicles are equipped with oil life monitors to further assist on the "when" to change your oil. (Aveo/Wave/Optra/Epica currently do not have oil life monitors).

GM Vehicles DO NOT require additional engine oil additives. Some additives may cause harmful effects to the internal seals and additionally void the terms of your vehicles New Car Warranty.

Top Tier Fuels

- Some fuel manufacturers provide gasoline advertised as TOP TIER DETERGENT GASOLINE (Chevron, Conoco, Phillips 66, Shell, Texaco, Entec Stations, MFA Oil Company, 76, Somerset Oil, Aloha Petroleum, Tri-Par Oil Company, QuikTrip, and Kwik Trip) in the U.S. and (Petro-Canada, Chevron, Shell, and Sunoco) in Canada. These fuels are preferable when and where available. They help to keep your fuel injectors and intake valves free of deposits. Clean engines provide optimal fuel economy, performance and reduced emissions. When Top Tier fuels are not available, consider a bottle of GM Fuel System treatment PLUS, P/N # 88861011 (in Canada, # 88861012), at oil change time which will remove intake system and injector deposits. GM does not recommend any other fuel system cleaner.

DO NOT confuse Top Tier Fuels with Higher Octane (Plus/Premium Grade Fuel) commonly sold at most all gas stations. Plus and Premium fuels are required in some high performance GM vehicles. However, they do not necessarily represent higher detergency present in TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

For additional information regarding Top Tier fuels and availability, please refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-047G for U.S. or 05-06-04-022D for Canada.

E85 FUELS:

- Only vehicles designated for use with E85 should use E85 blended fuel. E85 compatibility is designated for vehicles that are certified to run on up to 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. All other gasoline engines are designed to run on fuel that contains no more than 10% ethanol. Use of fuel containing greater than 10% ethanol in non-E85 designated vehicles can cause driveability issues, service engine soon indicators as well as increased fuel system corrosion. See Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-04-035C for additional information. Use the Recommended Grade (Octane) Fuel

Purchasing higher than required octane fuel is a waste of money. Using higher octane fuels in a vehicle that only required regular unleaded fuel will neither increase performance nor improve gas mileage. In all cases refer to your owners manual and ONLY use the octane rated fuel recommended for your vehicle.

In high performance GM vehicles that DO require Premium (91 octane or higher) fuel, you MUST use fuels of at least this octane. Use of lower octane fuel may result in reduced performance, knocking, and/or permanent engine damage not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Check Engine/Service Engine Soon Light

- Is the Check Engine/SES light on? When this light is on, the vehicles On-Board diagnostics computer has noticed that something is wrong. GM vehicles have many sensors that the computer uses to both control and sense actual fuel usage. When the computer lights the Check Engine/SES light it has lost some ability to run efficiently. This may result in increased fuel consumption, increased emissions, and/or driveability concerns.

Spark Plugs

- Even though most current GM vehicles have 160,000 km (100,000 mi) service intervals for spark plugs, if your vehicle is at that point in it's life, have the spark plugs changed to assure proper running and continued efficient, trouble free operation. Refer to the applicable Maintenance Schedule for spark plugs service intervals on Chevrolet Aveo, Optra, Epica, Pontiac Vibe, Wave and Saturn Astra.

Slow Down, Drive Smoothly

- Avoid quick/full throttle acceleration from a standstill in town and high cruising speeds on the interstates. While the optimum MPG for highway cruising speed varies from vehicle to vehicle, faster is almost always worse. If your vehicle is equipped with a Driver Information Center that displays Instant Fuel Economy, select that read out and vary your cruising speed while on the highway. The display will change continuously with uphill and downhill sections but you should quickly be able to identify on level ground the speed range that your vehicle does the best in.

Empty Your Trunk

- Avoid leaving unnecessary items in your trunk. It takes power to move increased weight and that means more gasoline consumption and reduced performance. While the change may be slight, multiplied by thousands of miles, it all adds up.

Avoid Extended Idling

- There is no need to idle your engine till it reaches operating temperature. Idling wastes fuel.

Combine Trips

- Your vehicle uses much more fuel when the engine is cold. This is especially true in the winter months when the engine will take the longest to warm up. Combine errands or trips so that the vehicle only needs to warm up once to encompass many different stops.

99 cav 2.2L 212,000 miles
97 cav 2.2L 110,000 miles
91 cav 2.2L 236,000 miles RIP
04 Silverado Z71 Ext.Cab 55,000 miles
01 Suzuki SV650 22,000 miles
97 Arctic Cat ZRT 600 6,000 miles
Monday, April 28, 2008 5:16 PM
RE: Tips To Save on Gas

I've read in this forum that filling up in the morning or evening will get you more gas for your money. Doesn't it say right on the pump that the temperature of the fuel is regulated to 15 degrees celsius ? I could swear I've seen that on several pumps

The69thitman
Saturday, June 07, 2008 4:26 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:O.k. I took the time to bring you this bit of info to the . We all know how pricey gas is getting now-a-days and from the looks of it, it isn't going to get any cheaper either.:( Prices are ranging from over $1.50 to over way over $2.00 per gallon in some states. So here are some tips to get better gas mileage out of your car.
(DAVE or moderators: I think we should "sticky" this).

wow....from just 4 short years ago weve more than doubled and almost tripled in gas prices. this info is more valuable now than ever! good write up!

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 4:49 PM
"Prices are ranging from over $1.50 to over way over $2.00 per gallon in some states. . . "

lol I WISH gas prices were.
Friday, July 11, 2008 8:06 PM
I hate Bush and the Gas Companies
Monday, July 28, 2008 7:46 PM
This is a little old but adding my .02. It's not all Bush's fault. Gas has dropped because Republicans are pushing for Alaska/off coast drilling.

Somewhere on here somebody posted a link for the turbonators. I put one of those on my old F150 Lightning, then after a week drove the truck from TN to MI with the cruise set on 90mph and I swear I gained 3-5mpg. Maybe they work better when driving highways 'cause it really didn't affect my city mpg.

I also gained mpg when my fuel filter on my mustang started clogging(1 week before it totally shut my engine down from lack of fuel). I went from 22-24 to 19-21.

I haven't had to buy fuel for the Cavalier yet(just bought it Sat.) so I don't know mpg on it. This is a great sticky but I've read almost everything posted here in a mustang forum and a bronco forum.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 2:09 PM
just one quick question. Someone told me that you use a lot of gas when u start your car. So, if I am going to pick up my gf at her house, and she takes around 5 minutes for her to be ready, should I just stop the car or should I keep it idled (this means keep it turned on right? )

not a native english speaker, in fack not living in the US lol

thanks!

Anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac...
Friday, November 14, 2008 1:44 PM
Only cold starts use a lot of gas. If you expect to idle more than 30 or seconds or so when waiting for someone, you're better off shutting down the engine.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:03 PM
i have a 2.2 3 spd auto i heard they got 35 mpg on avg some1 correct me if im wrong.
Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:42 AM
Use a thinner oil than specified and use a 0W-XX instead of a 5W or 10W-XX. The explanation is here (but very long answer form). Look for AEHaas:

The first one is more complete:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_haas_articles

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=259902#Post259902

aehaas
Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:46 AM
I am not sure if anyone can give me a tip or 2. I have a 1999 sunfire... i have had it since about the end of march, i have notice that i am getting horrible gas millage. I know i cant compare to much i used to drive a 1998 chevy lumina i know bigger gas tank but for that car i was able to get at leat 400km on a tank all city driving, now with this sunfire its like anywhere from 250 to about 350... i know small gas tank but still all city drving. the funny thing is the first car i drove was a 1996 sunfire... didnt seem the the gas millage was that bad back then anyone have any idea why i am getting such @!#$ty millage???could it be the sensor? or maybe just a tune up?then again i am not sure when the oil was changed last either could that be the problem?
Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:34 AM
For your car you should get at least average 450KM on pure city driving. And yes, you do have a smaller tank, about 11 liters less then the Lumina. But there is no doubt that your Sunfire is not running right.
First, look if you have any Check Engine light on the dash. If you do, scan it and fix it. The Check Engine light works to control emissions and at the same time controls fuel economy as it uses the sensors for calculations. When a sensor is fried, the computer will run on Limp Home mode, which is a standard setting so your engine won't break, but it will consume lots of fuel.
Now if no lights is on, then do maintenance. Start with tire pressure (32psi), change air filter, change oil, change spark plugs/wires, fuel filter, and a sensor that does so much... change the primary oxygen sensor. A trick you can also try is, resetting the computer by removing the negative cable from the battery for 10-20 mins. Lastly, you may want to control your foot, easy driving/starting help tremendously too.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search