motor mounts??? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
motor mounts???
Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:25 PM
ok so my girls car shakes real bad when shes about to start it its a 1999 chevy cavalier sedan with a 2.2 engine 4 cyl but i dont know where the motor mounts are can anyone tell me where to find them and whats the best mounts to go with???

Re: motor mounts???
Friday, December 11, 2009 11:11 AM
I think there is one on passenger side by the coolant overflow tank. A strut style mount on the bottom passenger side next to wheelwell. A transmission mount is located inside the wheelwell on the drivers side.

I've never replaced them before, but if I'm correct, those are the mounts I see in my bay.

I also heard RKsport makes some good ones, but you'll have to check with other jbo guys.

I'm not going anywhere just yet

R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan '81-'09
Friday, December 11, 2009 12:19 PM
rk sport is a great company to go with, but they will probly still shake the car as they're a polyurethane type mount, not like the factory rubber mounts, but they are good solid mounts that will stop the engine from moving.

oh and yeah she^ was right on the location of the mounts btw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, December 11, 2009 12:20 PM

Friday, December 11, 2009 1:42 PM
Don't know if the ecos are any different than the engine he's talking about, but i know on mine i have one by where the serpentine belt is. In fact the last time i had my serp replaced, one place refused to do it because they said they had a company policy prohibited them from taking off the motor mount to get to it. I thought how ridiculous it that .
Friday, December 11, 2009 1:44 PM
Let me emphasize, what i mean when i say that i don't know if the ecos are any different than the engine he is talking about is whether or not the motor mounts on his engine would be in the same place as mine. The location probably varies from engine to engine but who knows.
Friday, December 11, 2009 4:21 PM
Ive got just done a complete motor mount replacement, On my 01 2.2L cavalier. upper and lower dog bone mount, I checked with the Gm dealer just to get a price factor from them. I almost fell out of my chair when I heard the price of the upper motor mount replacement, $480 cdn. So i went and bought one from a local auto parts store, costed me $45, Plus my own labor of install. I have TTR poly mount in the garage as a back up, I dont have it installed Ive got to many vibes, Just a little edvice, all cavalier 2.2 l all have a shaking movement, Its just the way the mounts are designed. Now if the upper mount is going to fail, It will make click sound while shifting from park to drive, Thats my experience. Plus you can also place a pry bar near the upper metal bracket. See if their is any excessive play. I hope these tips may help,

Good Luck.
Sunday, December 13, 2009 3:04 PM
ok so theres only 3 on the whole car? thanks guys
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search