90 cavalier not firing 1 coil - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
90 cavalier not firing 1 coil
Wednesday, May 26, 2021 6:54 AM
Having issues with a 90 2.2 not firing on bottom coil. So far i replaced the plugs and wires, no change. Replaced the coil, no change. Then after running a bit it started firing again. Test drove and everything was good. Next day back to not firing. Replaced icm with new ac delco. Still not firing. Cylinders 1,4 are cold and i can smell raw gas from exhaust. I even tried swapping ecm and no change.

Re: 90 cavalier not firing 1 coil
Monday, August 02, 2021 12:45 PM
Does the 2.2L have a coil housing that holds the coils and is placed over the spark plugs? I have two 2.4L Cavaliers that have that kind of coil housing. The housing contains a PCB with "printed" (PCB-plated) spark-plug-wires. The PCB fatigues electrically and spark plug "wires" fail by arcing to ground or to each other. I have replaced both of my original spark plug housings. When it fails, of course the cylinder fails to get a spark. It can be intermittent. Eventually it fails completely. Sounds like your symptoms. Fix it quickly before you destroy your catalytic converter.
Re: 90 cavalier not firing 1 coil
Monday, December 06, 2021 3:27 PM
On the 2.2 the coils mount directly on top of the icm which ive already tried replacing.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search