Axels for 1996 2.4L 4-speed Cavalier LS convertible? Parts stores wrong? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Axels for 1996 2.4L 4-speed Cavalier LS convertible? Parts stores wrong?
Friday, July 22, 2022 11:44 AM
Both axles failed on my wife's 1996 2.4L 4-speed LS Cavalier convertible. I took it to my favorite mechanic (whom I trust and have been using for many years) to have the axles replaced. They just called me to say that they tried 2 different new axles from their parts supplier that were supposed to fit, but neither fit. They are frustrated and are going to order a 1994 axle to see if it fits. This seems crazy to me. If I go onto RockAuto.com, there are 5 different manufacturers (FVP, Trakmotive, Cardone, GSP & APWI), that sell new axles that supposedly fit the 1996, 2.4L 4-speed. It looks like the GM part number is GM-8049. Does anybody have any experience replacing the axle on a 1996 2.4L 4-speed? Any suggestions?

Re: Axels for 1996 2.4L 4-speed Cavalier LS convertible? Parts stores wrong?
Saturday, July 23, 2022 1:42 PM
If all else fails, you may be able to have the original ones rebuilt.
Re: Axles for 1996 2.4L 4-speed Cavalier LS convertible? Parts stores wrong?
Monday, August 29, 2022 4:03 PM
Following up in case this helps anyone...

For my 1996 2.4L 4-speed automatic, RockAuto.com lists 5 different axles as fitting but apparently only 3 of those 5 models fit. The pictures show that 2 of those 5 axles have axle-rods between the boots that are disproportionately long relative to the original axles-- and in fact those axles are too long to fit.. The other 3 models have shorter proportionately-correct-looking axle-rods and should be fine. Of those 3 models, my mechanic recommended the Cardone brand. So I bought two Cardone 661323 axles, which fit.

Apparently the manufacturers of the too-long axles mistakenly tell the parts-suppliers/vendors that the non-fitting models fit-- even if though they don't fit. That problem is apparently not limited to RockAuto because, by random bad-luck, my mechanic ordered two different models of too-long axles from his local parts-supplier, neither of which fit.

On RockAuto.com, if you look at the photos:
The (correct) shorter-looking axles are the Cardone 661323, the AWPI GM202A, and the GSP NCV10585 for ~$70 each. The Cardone & GSP also available on Amazon.

The (incorrect-looking ) longer-looking axles are the Trakmotive GM8049 (which is one of the too-long parts that my mechanic ordered), and the FVP GM8049. DON"T BUY THESE!

Side note: All of these axles are female-splined at the transmission-side. You (or your mechanic) will need to transfer the male-male splined axle stub from your old axle to your new one. Though you can buy new axle-stubs for ~$100 each, if necessary.
Monday, August 29, 2022 4:31 PM
Wow, you've went through quite an ordeal. Glad you were able to get the correct ones.
And thank you for letting everyone know about what you ran into.
Thursday, December 15, 2022 11:52 AM
After my mechanic installed the new axles, one of them started to leak, so I bought (and he installed) new axle seals. If you replace the axle(s), I recommend that you also replace the seal(s).
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search