need some help on autometer tach 2001 z24 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
need some help on autometer tach 2001 z24
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:12 PM
have conecter coil wire off of the tack to every wire on the coil pack adapter nothing works need some help please

Re: need some help on autometer tach 2001 z24
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 3:45 AM
you need a tach adapter or do the modification yourself. you don't have a clear signal from the tach wire.

A tach adapter is overpriced since it's just 2 resistance and a diode.

You can do it yourself for about 5$.

Tach Adapter DIY

You need acrobat reader to see it.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 5:00 PM
Thanx
Thursday, January 05, 2006 11:35 AM
Mfk-223 wrote:you need a tach adapter or do the modification yourself. you don't have a clear signal from the tach wire.

A tach adapter is overpriced since it's just 2 resistance and a diode.

You can do it yourself for about 5$.

Tach Adapter DIY

You need acrobat reader to see it.

Hold on here a second. I'm not sure on this, but are you sure thereis no signal wire.

Because the computer needs to see the RPMs, now it can use the coil for it, and also can use the crankshaft pos. sensor.

There should be a signal wire.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Thursday, January 05, 2006 11:46 AM
there's a tach wire but it's not CLEAR. It has more than 1 use so the tach can't read correctly. That's why you need a tach adapter to clear a signal for the aftermarket tach or any other aftermarket electronics that need a clear tach signal.

Welcome to the DIS world in a GM car.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, January 05, 2006 11:53 AM
if you have a 2.4, you shouldnt need an adaptor

Thursday, January 05, 2006 5:28 PM
autometer.com said 95 and up cavaliers need the adapter did not spesify engine
Thursday, January 05, 2006 6:14 PM
2.4's come w/ tachs so their should be a place to get the signal from so you shouldnt need the adaptor. i had to get an adaptor because i have a 2.2 which dont come w/ tachs so when i tapped into the coil pack, if i didnt have the adaptor it would only read 1/2 the rpms

Thursday, January 05, 2006 6:59 PM
Even if the 2.4 came with a tach, you still need an adapter. My 2.3 came with a tach and it needs an adapter. My 2.4 came with a tach and I need an adapter. DIS ignition need an adapter.

Yes there's a signal for the tach coming from the IDI cover but like I said twice before, the signal is not clear. The same signal is used for more than 1 application in the Ecm so you cannot get the tach or any aftermarket module to work correctly without cleaning the signal.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Friday, January 06, 2006 1:25 AM
i connected my adapter to one wire coming off the idi cover and my car idled crappy......i gave it gas and it kinda jumped to say 1k rpm, then 1.5k then 2k it wasnt a smooth rev, so i took it off and never hooked it back up cause i dont wanna screw it up lol....whoops the pink wire i think was the BAD wire and the blue one is the good one....but i still didnt get a good signal with that so my shift light is just sitting on the dash being usless lol....

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Friday, January 13, 2006 1:34 PM
You guys wanna see something trippy? I never had an issue when installing a tach in my car. Look at the second close-up pic:

Yup, it actually says "TACH". I plugged the green wire in and vroom vroom. Pretty cool actually. Guess I'm just lucky, lol.

-Teske

Friday, January 13, 2006 2:56 PM
98 2.4's and lower had the 2.4 Tach fuse under the hood.

There IS a full CLEAN tach signal, Pin 10 Connector 2 on the ECU. On the 2000+ 2.4's there is no wire on that pin on the connector, if you add one there you magically have a full tach signal.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, January 14, 2006 9:43 AM
i have a 96 cav 2.2 and i didnt need a tach adapter.. like was said somewhere in here i just used the signal wire that feeds the coil packs coming off the ECU.. i think it was the purple wire.. so there you have it.. DIS Ignition does not NEED a tach adapter... but theyd like you to think it does though.. the tach is a pretty easy set up. just like most, mine just had three wires, POWER, GROUND, and SIGNAL.. how hard can it be. if you have any questions about wiring, just get a haynes manual, it has all the wiring diagrams for your car. or go to a reputable audio shop and ask them if the have the wiring diagrams for your car. they mostly keep that kind of stuff on hand since theyre always adding alarms and remote start and things like that... good luck man...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search