FAQ: Ecotec cam install and cam timing - Page 3 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: FAQ: Ecotec cam install and cam timing
Friday, February 03, 2012 2:06 AM
Thanks for all the help!

dadtim

Monday, February 06, 2012 5:24 AM
Thanks for the help EvoFire,
When I fired up that Cavalier, it purred like a kitten. No damage, no noise, all it's old power is back. I'm really surprised. I'm used to
setting Timing on old Chevys, Fords & Chryslers, where, you line everything up, put all the new stuff on, tighten it all up, and then
turn it over a couple of times to verify the marks keep coming back up. You were right on this one, set the marks up as you install the new stuff Tighten everything to spec. Make sure your Tensioner is opened up. Then Button everything up and BINGO fired right up.
Thanks again. I still think I'll let these newer ones to younger guys. Old has a hard time absorbing new stuff it doesn't fully understand.LOL

Thanks Again..
Dadtim
Wednesday, August 07, 2013 11:04 AM
I know this is old, but in the pictures the "balance shaft tentioner" shown is the pressure spring for the oil pump.

Sunday, May 04, 2014 1:17 PM
what a Great write up
I am actually doing a head gasket replacement, because of a burnt valve, along with a timing kit change out, in an 04 Cavalier 2.2

I will say this " the timing instructions in the otc manual is somewhat confusing!".

This was somewhat complicated for me, being an old wrench spinner, and all.

I had issues with setting the cams back up correctly at TDCC, I had them marked so I knew where the position of the lobes were in relation to the marks on the cam sprockets. The marks I put on each one, had been removed by machine shop because of them being disassembled, and cleaned.

I got the head back from the machine shop with a complete valve job and mill, but my precious marks were gone... .It took me a while to figure out with this old brain, what I needed to do, and finally got them back to what I think was the correct position,... anyways I think that with this great write up with pics, and a lot patience. I hopefully have this thing timed correctly. I was unsure. well I did it 3 times, yep 3 times, and I am still hoping this Cavalier will fire up just like it should.

I turned over the engine 10 times with no resistance. The cam sprockets still at Exhaust 10:00, Intake 2:00 and my crank dot at 5:00 on this engine, all look as close to the clock positions as can be, but the color links currently not on there marks. I have read that they will not line up again until the engine is rotated more revolutions than 10.

I have one of the new design timing chain tensioner that came with the kit. I installed it as per the specs. I would like to know is it activated my oil pressure after startup?..., it did put some tension on the chain. I don't have any chain slack between the sprockets

well, anyways this was a great source of information for me and I appreciate the write up

Everyone should wrench!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search