2.2L non ecotech stroker kit? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2L non ecotech stroker kit?
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:02 PM
I have a 02 cavalier with a 2.2L non ecotech motor. I have read on the ne there stroker kits out there for it but cant find any. I can find pistons and rods but the make you use a stock spec crank. Any one know if a stroker kit is out there some where or is it a myth??

Build it, Beat the wee out of it, brake it so you have a reason to put more one into it =P

Re: 2.2L non ecotech stroker kit?
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:45 PM
banhammer away

learn to freakin spell dumb ass

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:23 PM
Quote:

a stroker kit is out there some where or is it a myth??

Myth Confirmed

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:37 PM
lol

Garys mod + Myth busters = best post ever.

Im pretty sure then isnt a stroker kit for the 2200. But i would like to be proven wrong!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:01 PM
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:22 PM
i think there was years ago. but it destroyed more motors than anything. and the company isnt even in bussiness anymore

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:29 PM
Oh well, i could see that. Im beting it had a very high compression.
Thursday, March 13, 2008 2:44 AM
It was available many moons ago and was sprung from an S10-oriented mod store/shop. Apparently the machining wasn't up to par as I heard many of them broke. Only way I'd trust stroking the 2.2 is to have a brand new crank machined custom. Expensive as hell, but a lot safer than spray-welding the journals and then offset grinding them.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Thursday, March 13, 2008 10:20 AM
ok thanks to those that had usefull post, and to those that have nothing better to do then to run around reading post just to spot bad spelling or brain fart moments to do nothing more then to bag on the person GET A LIFE!!! so I had a long day and did not much care if I spelled ever litle thing right get over your self!!

Build it, Beat the wee out of it, brake it so you have a reason to put more one into it =P
Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:35 PM
If you talk with jbodyperformance.com you should be able to get a hold of a custom crank (and whatever else you want custom come to think). To my knowledge there are no existing stroker kits.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 3:22 PM
The thing to keep in mind is that the LN2 (2.2L/2200) is already a stroker in comparison to it's ancestry (OHV 2.0L). Raising the stroke any further IMO would run into problems like clearance & god-awful rod angles that would result in unacceptable levels of piston side-loading. Not to mention that I doubt anyone would be willing to make one-off rods for the app that are even shorter than the stock 5.57" or pistons with a low enough pin boss height to accommodate the stock rod with the increased stroke because it will be getting too close to having a hockey-puck like shape, and that's no good for engine longevity. Plus (Back to the clearance problem again) no-one makes or made a raised deck block for this design engine to allow for a greater than stock stroke.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, March 13, 2008 4:58 PM
Pushrods wrote:If you talk with jbodyperformance.com you should be able to get a hold of a custom crank (and whatever else you want custom come to think). To my knowledge there are no existing stroker kits.
um, no.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster

Thursday, March 13, 2008 7:24 PM
el oh el

Thursday, March 13, 2008 10:36 PM
OHV notec wrote:
Pushrods wrote:If you talk with jbodyperformance.com you should be able to get a hold of a custom crank (and whatever else you want custom come to think). To my knowledge there are no existing stroker kits.
um, no.

I don't see why they would be opposed if he's willing to pay...

Friday, March 14, 2008 2:08 AM
Scarab is correct the company that did offer them way back in the day like.....7-8 years ago was 2200dragraceevolution.com or something along those lines. The kits did break alot, and the company went out of business. If I remember correctly I want to agree with Nick on the fact the 2200 is already stroked compared to its past.

Friday, March 14, 2008 2:39 AM
Pushrods wrote:
OHV notec wrote:
um, no.

Its not about them being opposed. Its about just about every JBP-built-anything I've seen so far has come apart. VTLoki got a built motor from them and I believe it was the wrist pins which were installed improperly, scored the block and completely trashed the whole thing. Back when they offered valve springs for the 2200, they were not able to tell us what specs they were, pressure, installed height, height of bind, etc. Originally I was willing to give them a chance to prove themselves but as time goes on I honestly can't say I place them much better than Mantapart on my list of companies I'll never do business with.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, March 14, 2008 7:34 AM
Pushrods wrote:
OHV notec wrote:
um, no.

Because they don't have the capabilities to make cranks... but feel free to email them if you don't believe me.
If you want a custom crank, talk to Crower. At last check (back when the economy was decent), it was about $2500 and 14 weeks.

Friday, March 14, 2008 9:01 AM
OHV notec wrote:
Pushrods wrote:
OHV notec wrote:
um, no.

Because they don't have the capabilities to make cranks... but feel free to email them if you don't believe me.
If you want a custom crank, talk to Crower. At last check (back when the economy was decent), it was about $2500 and 14 weeks.

I'm not trying to argue with you, it's just that you didn't give any explanation in your previous post.

Friday, March 14, 2008 1:18 PM
Quote:

and to those that have nothing better to do then to run around reading post just to spot bad spelling or brain fart moments to do nothing more then to bag on the person GET A LIFE!!!

alright, here's my positive contribution to shoot down your idea.

it seems like everyone in here has forgotten

a stroker kit isn't just a crank. changing the stroke alters the bottom end geometry, and if you don't have either the pistons or the rods or both altered to accept the new stroke the only thing you're making is a giant abortion waiting to bind the first time you try to crank it.

try searching in the performance section and you'll find the best place to start with unlocking power with the slOHV is headwork (since its crap volumetric efficiency is its biggest weak point other than coolant flow in the head)

Friday, March 14, 2008 4:22 PM
Well put about the geometry, Skwirl. As for the head, alot of friends whom are traditionalists in the motorsports hobby note that it has a strong resemblance to the Big-block Chevy head. And anyone who knows that engine knows what can be done/made of it. And don't forget how the cam has the same base circle as a small-block Chevy, to which there are alot of popular lobe profiles in the hydra-roller style alone.

And Notec is right about going to Crower. When I first got my '94 S-10, the entire rotating lower-end needed replacement. I ordered a crank from one of the local chains and it came with a .020/.020 undercut. During install my buddy was shocked to see it came from Crower. "You'll never need to replace it..." he said, "...unless you run it without oil for to long." A new oil pump guaranteed that wouldn't happen. I guess Crower is the only one willing to handle cranks for the Double-deuce.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Friday, March 14, 2008 5:56 PM
Pushrods wrote:
OHV notec wrote:
Pushrods wrote:
OHV notec wrote:
um, no.

I'm not trying to argue with you, it's just that you didn't give any explanation in your previous post.
eh, just getting tired of answering this question every month...

Monday, March 17, 2008 12:43 AM
Lemme quelch this...

The LN2 is in effect already a stroker. There are no pre-mde stroker cranks for it. And even if there were there isn't enough room inside the crankcase to acceptably clear it, even with notching the walls of the cylinders & block. So stop asking and forget it! (For you sticky consideration)

Go beyond the "bolt-on".

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 8:12 PM
So there really isn't a stroker kit. thats fine. I was just reading a few things on the net and they had said there was a few out there but hours of running the search browser failed. I will make the power a diff way not a problem.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 9:43 AM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:
Pushrods wrote:
OHV notec wrote:
um, no.

Its not about them being opposed. Its about just about every JBP-built-anything I've seen so far has come apart. VTLoki got a built motor from them and I believe it was the wrist pins which were installed improperly, scored the block and completely trashed the whole thing. Back when they offered valve springs for the 2200, they were not able to tell us what specs they were, pressure, installed height, height of bind, etc. Originally I was willing to give them a chance to prove themselves but as time goes on I honestly can't say I place them much better than Mantapart on my list of companies I'll never do business with.

I can confirm Scarab's story. back in my inexperienced days, I was too scared to attempt to build my own engine, but willing to learn, and I was going to get a came, lifters, and a bunch of valve train stuff from JBP. When I spoke to them, they convinced me to buy a short block from them. This was january of 2005. They gave me a few discounts for buying it all, I paid about a few weeks later, and he said it would be about a month before I had it. I was excited. I took my sunfire to my buddy's shop, took out the old engine, and began to get a head prepped to install. Well, long story short, it was mid April before I got the block, and got it all installed, was very careful, and followed all instructions. Got it running, ran great. Lots more powerful, and I was loving it. Then after 50 miles, I had tons of blue smoke coming from my tailpipe when i lifted off the gas. On the first piston, the wrist pin has slide out and ran into the cylinder wall, after going up and down, it created a large gash in the block. This allowed oil to be sucked up into the combustion chamber, and burned off. (blue smoke). I am not sure why the pin slide out, but it did, and after only 50 miles or normal driving.
Pics to enjoy

Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:10 PM
I would have been alil excited /\

Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:29 PM
I take it they didn't use pressed pins & one of the spring clips (Roloc?) let go. Well we see the bore, but what did the pin look like?

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search